Finding a job after failing PANCE

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

indigopa in Winterville, Georgia

55 months ago

I am a reasonably new grad (May 2009) who failed the PANCE, but I passed in March 2010 and I am now on the job market. I have had several interviews, but things go south when I tell my prospective employer that I have failed. I understand the concern behind this, but I would appreciate any suggestions on how to move forward and convince future employers I am a safe bet. I've thought about trying to set up a rotation with a local MD to gain a bit more experience and develop a personal relationship. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

indigopa in Winterville, Georgia said: I am a reasonably new grad (May 2009) who failed the PANCE, but I passed in March 2010 and I am now on the job market. I have had several interviews, but things go south when I tell my prospective employer that I have failed. I understand the concern behind this, but I would appreciate any suggestions on how to move forward and convince future employers I am a safe bet. I've thought about trying to set up a rotation with a local MD to gain a bit more experience and develop a personal relationship. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don't tell them you failed. Just say that you look time off. Less is more. Just because you failed a test doesn't indicate anything. The bottom line is that you have passed the PANCE, you are a PA-C and that you are licensed to work.

The employers that don't want you....is their LOSS. Don't put such little value on yourself. Crap happens and you passed and are ready to work. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Langhorne, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Hi, I am also a new grad and had failed my PANCE. But I am unable to take it until January 2011. Are there any suggestions/tips you can give to help me study? I am also contemplating about whether or not I should go on job interviews now since I really need the money. But I figured nobody would hire me if I tell them I failed the PANCE and won't be able to take it until 3 months later. Should I just wait or give it a shot? My confidence has shot down 10x since I failed and not sure what to do. Please help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie PA-C in Newport News, Virginia

51 months ago

Anonymous in Langhorne, Pennsylvania said: Hi, I am also a new grad and had failed my PANCE. But I am unable to take it until January 2011. Are there any suggestions/tips you can give to help me study? I am also contemplating about whether or not I should go on job interviews now since I really need the money. But I figured nobody would hire me if I tell them I failed the PANCE and won't be able to take it until 3 months later. Should I just wait or give it a shot? My confidence has shot down 10x since I failed and not sure what to do. Please help!!!

If you have to work, take an easy job so that you will have the brain power to study your tail off during your "free" time. Consider saving money and taking a PANCE prep class like CME Resources' classes; intense, in depth, and they will give you a really good estimate of what you'll score on the actual exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Philadelphi,a PA

50 months ago

Stephanie PA-C in Newport News, Virginia said: If you have to work, take an easy job so that you will have the brain power to study your tail off during your "free" time. Consider saving money and taking a PANCE prep class like CME Resources' classes; intense, in depth, and they will give you a really good estimate of what you'll score on the actual exam.

Hi, I am also a new grad and I just found out today that I failed my PANCE. But I am unable to take it until January 2011 as well. I also don't know what I am to do next. Are there any suggestions/tips you can give to help me study? I to was thinking of applying to jobs because I need the money but you can't work as a licensed PA bc the state won't give you a temporary license if you fail. My confidence is shot as well since I failed and not sure what to do. Please help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chloe in Central Islip, New York

46 months ago

Life after Pance fail?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

I took my PANCE yesterday and failed it. Now I feel like a complete failure, like I'm not worth anything. I feel like I have let down my family, I'm wondering if I should even pursue it again. I worked really hard to get this far and I know I will be a good PA i just have problems taking tests. If anyone has some words of wisdom and advise for me I would really appreciate it, as right now I feel like giving up on my dream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tired of Waiting in Jacksonville, Florida

37 months ago

anonymous in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania said: I took my PANCE yesterday and failed it. Now I feel like a complete failure, like I'm not worth anything. I feel like I have let down my family, I'm wondering if I should even pursue it again. I worked really hard to get this far and I know I will be a good PA i just have problems taking tests. If anyone has some words of wisdom and advise for me I would really appreciate it, as right now I feel like giving up on my dream.

First of all, never give up if it's really something you dream of doing. Plus at this point, if your Direct Loans bill looks anything like mine, youve invested $80-100,000 already. What's another $500 to retake the test and try again? Yes take the test again. There is a course given CME Resources that helps with studying for the PANCE. It a week long conference where you review every area of medicine you can think of. They also offer practice tests that cover everything so that you may see what areas you need to study most. That way you dont make the common mistake (that we are all guilty of) of wasting too much time studying what you already know. However this course is about $800 for the course. They include the food during the day, but you havve to pay for your own room which can be $60-100/night. If you cant afford it or have kids, then buy this book and study it from cover to cover; and take the practice test...."A Comprehensive Review for the Certificattion and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants" by O'Connel and Zarbock. It's like $50-60 and it's an AMAZING resource. Good luck you'll do fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in El Paso, Texas

36 months ago

I failed my PANCE in Sept. I took the retest on Tuesday and today I checked the nccpa website to see if I was certified since the pass/fail notice typically posts every Thursday. The site still says I'm not certified but I never received an email stating that I failed and in the "my exam" portion of the website, it says the results will be released in about 2 weeks. How long will it actually take to find out if I passed or failed this time around? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Fall River, Massachusetts

25 months ago

I know how you all feel. i am the worst test taker and I have failed 4... yes 4 times and every time failed by less than 30 points. I am scheduled to take it again. I just returned from the Certified Medical Educators PANCE course. It was fantastic and so worth the money. I feel confident. I have worked as an EMT while trying to get a job. I tend to omit that I failed on the interviews. The actual problem I've had getting a job is that I have no experience. Does anyone have any advice on avoiding the "no experience" doom. To all those that are looking to retake. Just do it. Like one of the other ppl on here said, your in how much student loan debt and worked so hard... what do you have to loose. Look at me I'm not giving up. I want this and will do it. This time I'm going into the test saying "I'm passing this time, it will be the last time I take the PANCE, I'm ready!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

NeverGiveUp! in Langhorne, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

You are absolutely right. NEVER EVER give up. I myself also have failed 4 times. I also took the Certified Medical Educators course in Syracuse NY before I took it the 5th time. And just like u, I kept telling myself to never give up because it was my dream to be a PA. And I also kept telling myself that I will pass this time around. And guess what? I did. =) took my PANCE 2 weeks after I did the conference. Had 2 Panic attacks during the exam & nearly ended up in the ER bcuz I couldn't breathe. Yup... BTW Michael Nowak is an amazing cardiology lecturer. He stayed & helped me until I understood certain topics I had problems with. So You did yourself a really good thing by taking that course.

As for the job aspect, I had the same issue when I was applying for a few jobs. The places that I wanted to work for rejected me because I did not have any experience. However, you should never lie about it just to get a job because it will backfire & bite you in the ass someday. Take your time looking for the right one. And it is okay to tell them you don't have experience. I just omit the part of failing my PANCE, and just tell them that I had just graduated and just finished my boards and is certified by the NCCPA. As long as you just make it seem you are a new grad student, you should be fine. A lot of places would rather hire a new grad to train them in their modality. I eventually had 3 offers and couldn't decide, but I took my time to make the right decision. For me, it was both the salary and work environment that mattered. Two of the offers did not have a friendly working environment. My 3rd offer, I spent time after my interview and just worked a few days to see how it was like and I ended up really liking it and decided to work there. And I was glad I told them I am a recent grad, because now I am relearning all the things I had forgotten and all the new things I must know.

Goodluck w/ ur PANCE. Keep the positive attitude & u will do great. Best wishes!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.