Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 3210)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming physician assistant interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

mm in Springdale, Pennsylvania

95 months ago

I am also interested in knowing about interview questions for PA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (294) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

art in Fullerton, California

94 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming physician assistant interview?

did you get any help in regards to interview questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

marcia in Baltimore, Maryland

94 months ago

art said:
did you get any help in regards to interview questions?

Hi, I went though the interview process in october. The questions are actually pretty basic...what's most important for you in life, how well are you prepared financially & mentally, how is your family prepared, what are your strengths & weaknesses as a student, what is cultural diversity, why PA and not MD (don't ever say because you didn't get in to an MD program), what does a PA do. Usually in the interview process they don't want to know how smart you are or what random things you know. They already have your application & school records, this is the time to show them that you are serious & prepared to take the challenge & that you want to. Good luck, I was accepted & am a little nervous & will be starting a post for questions now too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (200) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

P in Huntington Beach, California

94 months ago

marcia said:
Hi, I went though the interview process in october. The questions are actually pretty basic...what's most important for you in life, how well are you prepared financially & mentally, how is your family prepared, what are your strengths & weaknesses as a student, what is cultural diversity, why PA and not MD (don't ever say because you didn't get in to an MD program), what does a PA do. Usually in the interview process they don't want to know how smart you are or what random things you know. They already have your application & school records, this is the time to show them that you are serious & prepared to take the challenge & that you want to. Good luck, I was accepted & am a little nervous & will be starting a post for questions now too.

I WISH I FOUND OUT THIS WEBSITE AND ADVICE BEFORE I WENT TO MY INTERVIEW....ARRGHH...MAYBE THAT'S WHY I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THEM... FEELING DOWN NOW....(GOOGLE SEARCH)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

helen in Newington, Virginia

93 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming physician assistant interview?

yes, what is the role of PA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

marcia in Baltimore, Maryland

88 months ago

I think a suit is expected, but not required, but I do think they expect professional interview attire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Buffalo, New York

88 months ago

thanks, any comments are always helpful. It seems that the interview process is similar no matter what school you attend. They don't want eggheads and geeks they want real people with a sense of humor and a zest for life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Malvern, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

mm in Springdale, Pennsylvania said: I am also interested in knowing about interview questions for PA

me too if u know any thing please email me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Nacogdoches, Texas

88 months ago

I just got offered my first interview. I'm nervous. I'm looking for websites on PA Interview Questions. Does anyone know of one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

susu in Sterling Heights, Michigan

88 months ago

Amy D in Crestline, California said: Be prepared to take a stand when asked questions about character. There is no right or woring answer, they just want you to pick a side and stick with it. i.e--> You think the dr you work with drank alcohol over lunch and is still treating patients, what would you do?

I helped to interview incoming PA students. Generally, the interviewers DO NOT like those who are overly impressed with themselves. This is not a sales interview! Back up your prior achievements but do not over do it.
Mostly know the ROLE of a PA and make a stand why PA vs MD or DO? If applying to other programs...keep it to yourself! Good Luck.
Yes, wear a suit! This is a serious life decision, treat is as so.

Wait a minute...so when they ask you if you applied to any other programs, you're supposed to say no? I didn't get in last year because the school felt like it was not my first choice, but when I was asked if I have applied anywhere else I was afraid to say no because I thought that information would be in my application and they would know I'm lying! I even called CASPA and asked them if it says that in my app. but they where not able to tell me. Now I know, I guess :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mindy in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

I remember freaking out about my PA school interview. It wasn't bad. The next year, I was a PA student helping to interview other prospective candidates. It's important to know about the history of PAs (e.g. knowing that they're trained in the medical model, knowing their strengths and limitations, why the profession was developed in the first place, etc.). One big question was how a PA differs from a Nurse Practitioner. Know this. Also, for my program, it was important that you possessed versatility as many of the rotation sites were far away.

Patients don't always want to see PAs (although I can't understand this; we are as capable as doctors in my opinion) and they asked me how I would handle patients who didn't want to see me. Obviously, you have to be a good communicator when seeing patients all day, so that's important to convey as well. PA school is hard, and you have to be dedicated to make it through. Make that apparent in your interview.

Look here for lots of information about PAs: www.aapa.org or www.nccpa.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Spencer in Round Rock, Texas

87 months ago

I am right in the middle of all the applications and nervous that I have to rely on people like CASPA to do their job...Any hints on them? Plus what is the difference in PA's and NP's???? I work with several of them and they don't even know!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

jo in Cerritos, California

87 months ago

Michael S. Kays in Santa Cruz, California said: What would the correct answer be, I wonder? I'm thinking I would take the Dr. aside, remind him that his or her cognitive abilities have been most likely been affected, and then I would offer to take the patient cases for the next couple of hours, to the best of my abilities.

i was asked this ques during a mock interview, with a head PA at USC and i bascially i said what you said. the head PA told me it would be wise not to accuse someone of something when you think is alcohol, it could be cough syrup(ha), but i had to modify my answer to that, while i couldnt say he was drinking it would inquire about how he was, to take the afternoon off...blah blah..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

nicky in Port Jefferson Station, New York

87 months ago

So did any one get a clear answer on the difference between PA and NP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PABLO in Salt Lake City, Utah

86 months ago

Hey fellow P.A. applicants. Just a quick word of encouragement. I applied to about 5 programs this cycle with CASPA and then had my GPA calculated by them. It came back at 2.68. Much lower than what I had calculated(CASPA doesnt do grade substitutions for repeated classes) and much lower than the required GPA for all but one of the programs I applied to. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. I had pretty much written off the other programs whose GPA requirement I didnt meet. The other day though, I received an invitation for an interview from one of those schools!!! So I just wanted to let you know that if you have a lot to offer, some programs seem to see the bigger picture when it comes to applicants. Go ahead and try the programs you want. You never know. I am still waiting to hear from 3 other programs. So far 1 NO (the only program whose GPA req. I met) and 1 INTERVIEW. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Buffalo, New York

86 months ago

I'm a student at Daemen College in Buffalo New York. I'm currently in my second year of the master's program. There is a book called Getting Into the Physician Assistant School of Your Choice, BUY IT! It tells you from A to Z what to expect, how to complete your application, and tips on what to say during your inerview. I'll tell you I was accepted into every program I applied for, and I really credit it all to that book. Remember you are there to sell yourself during the interview, thats very important that you do it well. Even in PA school you will learn that you will have sell yourself to future employers, your patients, and even to your local and federal goverments. So know your stuff. PA school is a wonderful experience, but I don't reccommend it to people who are just looking for a carrer, this is something you need to make sure that you want to do and are prepared for. IT IS A SERIOUS COMMITMENT of time, so be prepared to give up alot! This program will test you in every way, it's a very physical and emotional experience. I can tell you I absolutely love this profession, and I can't wait to graduate and get started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hey I was just reading through a couple of your guys comments. The differnece between a PA and an NP is...

Autonomy:
NPs do not have to have supervision. They have more of a collaborative relationship with the physician.
PAs are delegated tasks and work under the scope of practice of the physician this is more of a team work relationship (although you might think bummer it's actually a good thing. Alot of our PA's are so trusted by their MDs that the MDs actually ask them for consults)

The teaching philophosy:
NPs are taught a nursing model. They are more holistic with their approach to medicine, treating the whole person.
PAs are taught the medical model. This means they treat the disease. However, PAs are more diversified than NPs. A PA is trained in all subspecialties whereas an NP is trained in one specific area of medicine.

Also a tip! when you are asked a question on comparing yourself to MDs and NPs NEVER EVER demean others! its just makes you look bad and its unprofessional.

Also its true that patients do not always want to see a PA. And it is their choice. However, by telling them that you are your physician are working together to treat your condition, and that the physician is accessable to you at any time really helps to estabish empathy with the patients aprehensions.

In response to the docotor drinking alcohol during lunch. Cancel the remaining appointments for the rest of the day, and resign your position. You definately don't want to be working with a doctor who would compromise their patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (129) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

first interview's over PHEW! Anyone else interview yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

HEY NICK,
I HAVE MY FIRST INTERVIEW NOV 8 IN PHILADELPHIA, AND ANOTHER DEC 10 IN MAINE. ANY TIPS YOU HAVE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. ESPECIALLY THE TYPES OF QUESTIONS THEY ASKED. ALSO, I NOTICED THAT YOU ARE WRITING FROM NY. ANY THOUGHTS ON PHILADELPHIA. I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE. HOW WOULD IT BE TO LIVE THERE A COUPLE OF YEARS DURING SCHOOL?

THANKS,
PABLO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nicky in Medford, New York

86 months ago

PABLO in Salt Lake City, Utah said: HEY NICK,
I HAVE MY FIRST INTERVIEW NOV 8 IN PHILADELPHIA, AND ANOTHER DEC 10 IN MAINE. ANY TIPS YOU HAVE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. ESPECIALLY THE TYPES OF QUESTIONS THEY ASKED. ALSO, I NOTICED THAT YOU ARE WRITING FROM NY. ANY THOUGHTS ON PHILADELPHIA. I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE. HOW WOULD IT BE TO LIVE THERE A COUPLE OF YEARS DURING SCHOOL?

THANKS,
PABLO.

As far as the interview...they'll ask you about your experiences (mostly from your application)- which you enjoyed most, what you have learned from them, how they have influenced your decision, etc. Also know about the profession in case they ask you specifics. Also they may ask you about yourself...what you think of yourself as a candidate, who has been influential in your journey...and most importantly I think they all ask WHY this particular program so know enough about their program and location to be able to sell them on that. Some interviews will have you read a chapter and discuss the details, some have you write short essays on obscure topics such as "the steps you took this morning to get here"
The best advice I have is review your application and really think about what you have done and how you would like it to be viewed...I am sure you already know your reasons for choosing PA and how you've gotten here...for the most part just relax, be honest and if you're not sure how to answer give it your best and don't let it throw you off your game.

As far as Philly, I have visited a few times but have never been to Salt Lake to accurately compare the two. In comparison to NYC it's just as large and loud (I don't think this a bad thing-just means there is alot to do and at all times) There are areas that seem questionable and a bit dirty for my likes but from what I understand the "university" areas are not that way. I have a few friends who have lived there and they have all enjoyed it. I personally wouldn't mind living there for a short time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nicky in Medford, New York

86 months ago

And you ABSOLUTELY MUST stop for a cheesesteak while you are there. There are two rival shops (literally across the street from eachother). These are the only shops to go to for authentic cheesesteaks. Pat's Steaks and Gino's. I personally recommend Pat's over Ginos by a mile - but hey try em both while you are there. Google the directions and don't let the LONG line of people deter you. They are open 24/7 and I reiterate here: YOU MUST TRY ONE! So worth it if you enjoy food. I have taken the 4 hour drive from LI NY soley for a cheeseteak b4-NO JOKE. Good luck on the interviews!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Pablo in Salt Lake City, Utah

86 months ago

nicky in Medford, New York said: And you ABSOLUTELY MUST stop for a cheesesteak while you are there. There are two rival shops (literally across the street from eachother). These are the only shops to go to for authentic cheesesteaks. Pat's Steaks and Gino's. I personally recommend Pat's over Ginos by a mile - but hey try em both while you are there. Google the directions and don't let the LONG line of people deter you. They are open 24/7 and I reiterate here: YOU MUST TRY ONE! So worth it if you enjoy food. I have taken the 4 hour drive from LI NY soley for a cheeseteak b4-NO JOKE. Good luck on the interviews!

Thanks for the advice Nicky. Please keep us up to date on your application process. I'm sure you'll agree it's pretty exciting to have finally reached this stage and to come this far. It's an amazing thing to have a life's dream coming to fruition. And while I'm in Philly, feel free to come down from NY and join me for a Pats cheesesteak. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

binski in Provo, Utah

86 months ago

Where are you interviewing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Tucson, Arizona

86 months ago

I am attempting to prepare for an interview at GWU. I have found a few sites with example questions and have run into a few that seem qutie difficult. Can anyone report experiences with particularly difficult interview questions? How did you answer?

Examples of what i found - please let me know if you encountered any questions like these:

You just delivered a baby that has Down =s syndrome. The child is having problems breathing and needs to have a simple operation to take care of the problem. If the child does not have the surgery, he will die. The parents ask you not to save their son. What are the legal issues involved? What are the ethical issues? What do you do?

What are the greatest problems facing American medicine?

Describe the current movement in health care management. What are the advantages and disadvantages of our system?

How do you see the healthcare system changing in the next ten years, and how will it affect PAs?

What is managed care and how has it affected physicians and PAs?

thanks!!

Sophie in Centreville, Virginia

86 months ago

I just discovered this forum 20 mins ago and want to say Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice.

I submitted my PA school application 2 weeks ago to make the Nov 1 deadline for most of my schools. CASPA is taking a while to calculate my GPA. Everything else is in, my letters of recc, my transcripts, etc. Does anyone know how long it takes CASPA to calculate the GPAs and how long after that, do you hear back from schools for at least an interview? Some PA friends of mine said 1-2 months, some say say 3-4. They said schools interview only 2x a year. First in Sept/Oct, then another round in Dec/Jan for late applicants. Is this true? If so, I'm guessing I won't be invitied for an interview untill Dec/Jan.

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Tucson, Arizona

86 months ago

sophie,

it took CASPA a while to calculate my GPA. maybe like 4-5 weeks. the interview times depend on the school. i have two in the beginning of november; AT Still U. and George Washington. i submitted in august and it took about 1-2 months to hear back from the schools. four have asked me for secondary applications so far - two asked for interviews and two haven't yet responded. just an fyi, i was told by OHSU that a number of people on their admissions committee are at a conference until mid-november and that i wouldn't hear back until then.

Pablo in Layton, Utah

86 months ago

binski in Provo, Utah said: Where are you interviewing?

So far I have an interview at Drexel Hahnemann in Philly and at the University of New England in Portland ME, I got a "No Thanks from the University of New Mexico (priority given to in-state residents) and I'm still waiting to hear from 2 other schools.
How about you? Wish me luck, the Drexel interview is in a couple of weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sophie in Centreville, Virginia

86 months ago

Well, I haven't heard back yet from anyone since I just sent in my application 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting. I applied all over, CA, AZ, PA, WV, VA, NY, and TX. I'll be living on this website and I'll do my best to try to post any info I get from the PA's I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

julie in Tucson, Arizona said: sophie,

it took CASPA a while to calculate my GPA. maybe like 4-5 weeks. the interview times depend on the school. i have two in the beginning of november; AT Still U. and George Washington. i submitted in august and it took about 1-2 months to hear back from the schools. four have asked me for secondary applications so far - two asked for interviews and two haven't yet responded. just an fyi, i was told by OHSU that a number of people on their admissions committee are at a conference until mid-november and that i wouldn't hear back until then.

Julie,

Those are some really tough questions.

Heres some ideas:

Remember that baby is a minor child, (at least in New York) the parents have the right to refuse or request treatment. Legally the child does not have rights. Ethically that is your duty to be a leader in this situation, but also not letting your emotions rule you. Remember that you must counsel these parents and be supportive in this time. Read up on empathy its the most important skill we have as providers!!!!

Some problems that are facing Americans with healthcare:
Access to proper healthcare... think of all the barriers there are... language, insurance, specialists (getting appointments), lack of proper medical treaments (the system is imperfect)...
Insurance in itself
The cost of healthcare
Defensive medicine ...this goes along with cost

The healthcare system is changing dramatically!
implenting the electronic medical record is a hot topic right now!
shortages of doctors....how can the PA fill this role
the delievery of healthcare is also changing

As for movements and managed care it would take me days!
Go to AAPA.org they do a great job on these topics.

I'm telling you invest in the book Getting into the physician assistant school of your choice by andrew rodican. it tells you exactly what they ask i'm telling you looking back at the book just now it was almost identical

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ASMA in United Kingdom

86 months ago

Hi everyone! My name is Asma and Im hoping to study the physician asst postgrad course in the uk! I have an interview soon! Kinda covered most questions that might be asked just trying to find a good answer to the follwing question! WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE ROLE OF AN PA AND DOCTOR? I have just a coupe of differences! Please do help it will be mostly appreciated! Oh and this forum is fab! keep the comments coming ppl!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ASMA in United Kingdom

86 months ago

Oh and also WHY NOT BECOME A DOCTOR?!?!?!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

AMM in Salt Lake City, Utah

86 months ago

PABLO in Salt Lake City, Utah said: HEY NICK,

THANKS,
PABLO.

Pablo - When were your CASPA applications mailed out? I applied to a couple of schools in PA and in Maine and haven't heard anything back yet. Also, can I ask what your background is - do you have a ton of medical experience? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

C.J. in Dallas, Texas said: There is a huge list of questions on the site listed below. The best thing you can do is answer each one of them and rehearse your answers until you are comfortable. That doesn't mean you memorize your answers, but you have to know yourself so well and how you fit with the organization that it becomes second nature.

Most people "wing it" in an interview and this just doesn't work. You have to be prepared.

www.professional-resume-example.com/job-interview-questions.html

I wouldn't say that everyone must prepare in this way. I have read on some sights that "if you haven't prepared the interviewers will sense this and take it as a sign that you are not very committed. While this may be the case to some extent, I don't think anyone reading this post should feel that you must study for your interview as though it is an exam. I chose not to 'rehearse' for my interview. I was content with my credentials and rationalized that in the time that I was preparing to apply I was already asking myself questions about the profession and had honest reasons for pursuing this career, applying to the schools I did, and for how I would potentially handle myself in any hypothetical situations in the future. I was sure that if they asked me something I would be able to answer it intelligibly and consequently without having to worry about if I was saying it just exactly as I had rehearsed it. My interviewers asked A LOT of questions and I even answered one question by stating that I had never really considered the question before but that I could ponder it for a moment and answer to the best of my knowledge-I did. My point is that if you are comfortable not preparing for an interview then DON'T! Keep your cool as best as you can; everyone will be nervous and everyone will say something that they later regret. They expect that. An interview is truly about how YOU handle pressure so they can extrapolate how you will handle the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

paula in Everett, Washington

86 months ago

Hi guys!

i need some help answering these questions:

If you made a mistake as a health care practitioner which caused permanent harm or death to your patient, how would you deal with the patient? Family? How would you handle the mistake personally? Professionally?

You just delivered a baby that has Down =s syndrome. The child is having problems breathing and needs to have a simple operation to take care of the problem. If the child does not have the surgery, he will die. The parents ask you not to save their son. What are the legal issues involved? What are the ethical issues? What do you do?

What do you think of mercy killings in the wake of a disaster such as Hurricane Katrina?

What type person do you foresee as being a difficult patient? How will you handle that type of patient?
Describe a conflict you observed between a health care practitioner and a patient. What did you get out of that experience?

What would you do if you saw one of your fellow students cheating? What would you do in your residency if one of your colleagues came to work with alcohol on his/her breath?
What are your thoughts on euthanasia? On abortion? On fetal tissue research?

If you were the President of the United States, what would you do to improve the health care situation in the U.S.? (Or what do you see as the positives and negatives of the President’s health care plan?) How does this situation affect your profession?
What changes in medicine do you think will affect your profession?

What are the greatest problems facing American medicine?
Do you think that health care practitioners make too much money? Why or why not?

How will you handle a patient who cannot afford to pay for your care?

What do you dislike about the field of medicine as a whole?
Tell me about your experience in a medical setting. What did you like/dislike?

How would you pass along bad news to a family?

thank you !!!
paula =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

ron in Stony Brook, New York

86 months ago

I think instead of waiting for someone to come up with the answers for you, notice that the common theme in each question is the word YOU. There is no one right answer, they just need you to answer them honestly with the knowledge of right and wrong which you hold at this time. I am sure unless your natural answers are: Gee I dont really care or I believe I would find that classmate with the exam questions and copy them for myself... then you will be fine. Now ask yourself this: do you want to get in to a program so that you can feel satisfied that you have comepleted your goals, or do you want us to get in for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Paula,

Ron makes a good point, the interviewers wants to hear YOUR "opinion". Within reason, I don't think there are right or wrong answers. I think they mainly want to observe you to see how you think and react in high stress situations and how you communicate complex ideas on the fly. That said, I must admit that I'm a little stressed about these types of questions. I interview next week for the first time and I'm not sure what to expect. Reading the various questions you have posted as well as others has really helped me feel a little more prepared. Just by taking some time to answer each question or research some topics I'm not familiar with has really boosted my confidence. It really helps to discuss these types of questions in a group, that way you can bounce ideas off one another and form some solid opinions. That has really helped me. Good Luck and Take Care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hi Ron!
Thank you for your post.
I just want do great in my interview, so I post the questions for a little help.
And about your question: "...do you want us to get in for you?" I must say that I was a little upset with it. actually think it was a little bit rude...maybe I am just too emotional right now...
I see a lot of people posting a lot of questions in this forum, so I decided to do the same. That’s all!
Take care.
Paula.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

hi Pablo!
Thank you for your post.
I am going crazy over this interview process. I just want to do well.
i hope everything goes ok for you...
take care!
Paula.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ron in Port Jefferson Station, New York

86 months ago

Hi Paula,

Sorry I am reading the post now and I can see how you read that last part. Don't be offended. I meant the statement to be more motivational than rude! I like to take control of my own destiny-I think it is empowering, as I am sure you do too. I am always a tiny bit disappointed to see that so many people panic unnecessarily. I think what causes anyone to fail is panic. Your list of questions is so long (obviously you have been doing your research) that it begs a breakdown; if you haven't frightened yourself with them you sure did frighten a few posters to this blog I am sure! Really what you have to know is it really isn't about the answers. They don't expect you to know policy and protocols yet but they will appreciate your gut feeling of right and wrong and willingness to stand up for yourself but also to learn your limits in the future. I didn't have 'great answers'. I just answered by telling them what I felt was the right thing to do in each particular situation and let them know that I was completely aware that I may be naive to certain policies and regulations at this point in my studies. Trust me-it’s easier than you think. Be yourself and be confident that you are truly there for the right reason.

Good luck-you will be fine.

86 months ago

AMM in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Pablo - When were your CASPA applications mailed out? I applied to a couple of schools in PA and in Maine and haven't heard anything back yet. Also, can I ask what your background is - do you have a ton of medical experience? Thanks

AMM,

I was a medic in the Air Force for 6 years, mostly in an Emergency department that saw over 200 patients a day. I also workded my way through college in an ER. I have a bachelor degree in Medical technology (lab) and work in a very large high complexity laboratory.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

86 months ago

I have my first interview next week. And although I know I will do my best if I remain calm and be myself, Im still nervous. Im nervous of the questions focusing on my opinion of controversial topics or situations. I dont really know too much about the health care system or the president's current policy involving health care. And when I think about fetal tissue research - my thoughts are "well its fine, I dont see the problem". But thats kind of a lame answer. Anyone else feeling this way, or have any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Tucson, Arizona

86 months ago

I just had my first interview at AT Still University in Phx, AZ and it was so much easier than i thought it would be. the questions were all completely subjective and didn't require any knowledge about specific policies, etc. the few questions aside from the normal "why PA? why this school?", etc. were as follows:

name a time when you disagreed with a policy at a workplace - what was it and what did you do about it? (this one threw off a lot of the candidates)

if a preceptor was about to prescribe a medication that you thought would be harmful - or even deadly - to the patient, what would you do?

if the u.s. did pass a universal health care plan, what do you think would be worst thing that would happen? (or something like that - what would be the drawbacks or the negatives)

anyway, i have two more interviews so, we'll see how they go :)

cheers all. and RELAX! IT'S NOT THAT BAD....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

AMM in Salt Lake City, Utah

86 months ago

Pablo -

Thanks and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

86 months ago

julie in Tucson, Arizona said: I just had my first interview at AT Still University in Phx, AZ and it was so much easier than i thought it would be. the questions were all completely subjective and didn't require any knowledge about specific policies, etc. the few questions aside from the normal "why PA? why this school?", etc. were as follows:

name a time when you disagreed with a policy at a workplace - what was it and what did you do about it? (this one threw off a lot of the candidates)

if a preceptor was about to prescribe a medication that you thought would be harmful - or even deadly - to the patient, what would you do?

if the u.s. did pass a universal health care plan, what do you think would be worst thing that would happen? (or something like that - what would be the drawbacks or the negatives)

anyway, i have two more interviews so, we'll see how they go :)

cheers all. and RELAX! IT'S NOT THAT BAD....

Thanks so much Julie! Good luck with your upcoming interviews.

CV in Southlake, Texas

86 months ago

I have an Interview with Iowa University next week. Can somebody help me on the type questions they ask? I extremely nervous. This is going to be my first Interview.

Thanks for the help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dfsd in Reading, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

It is the University of Iowa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ASMA in United Kingdom

85 months ago

pleasssssssssssssse can anybody help! I know alot of interviees ask WHY NOT BECOME A DOCTOR???? How doesn one pursuade them that you aare not a "wannabe doctor" PLEASE DO REPLYYYYYYYYYYY! PRETTY PLEASE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Tucson, Arizona

85 months ago

well, why DON'T you want to become a doctor? only you know the answer to that one. just be honest. is it too expensive? take too long? what are your reasons?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nicky in Stony Brook, New York

85 months ago

I actually was pre-med and then decided that I wanted to finish school before I was too old to procreate! So I basically told them that I decided on PA because it was financially within my means (which is true-I support myself), that it would afford me the opportunity to take the time that I want to have for my family (which I made sure to express that this is my personal preference-bc of course women doctors have children and families too) and the greatest appeal for me was (to some extent at least) the flexibility of not having to do an entire residency in order to change specialties. Hope that helps a bit. Make PA apply to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.