Low Undergraduate GPA...What to do?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

MinnieCL in Carson, California

55 months ago

I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Biological Sciences, but unfortunately my GPA is around a 2.5, which is under the minimum GPA requirement of most PA programs so they probably won't consider me. I have some health care experience, but I am planning to do more volunteering and hopefully get a job that involves more patient contact experience. I really want to pursue PA as a profession, but after looking at the requirements of PA programs, I feel really discouraged. Should I even attempt to apply to PA programs with that low of a GPA? What else can I do that will allow programs to even consider me despite my low GPA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MinnieCL in Carson, California

55 months ago

I'm currently enrolled in a couple of classes at a community college and I have an interview for a hospital volunteer internship where I would get patient care hours. Hopefully things will turn up from here. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I really appreciate it! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Jacksonville, Florida

53 months ago

MinnieCL in Carson, California said: I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Biological Sciences, but unfortunately my GPA is around a 2.5, which is under the minimum GPA requirement of most PA programs so they probably won't consider me. I have some health care experience, but I am planning to do more volunteering and hopefully get a job that involves more patient contact experience. I really want to pursue PA as a profession, but after looking at the requirements of PA programs, I feel really discouraged. Should I even attempt to apply to PA programs with that low of a GPA? What else can I do that will allow programs to even consider me despite my low GPA?

Hey. I am facing the same issues you are and I am absolutely going crazy about it. But, I can't change the past. I also plan to take some classes at the community college to bring my GPA up. But as you know with the way CASPA calculates your GPA, it will take some serious time. Please keep us posted on your most recent progress. THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Marietta, Georgia

53 months ago

Hey same here,
I am a senior at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. I have a 2.4 and I am supposed to graduate in the spring. I really do not know what to do. I am pretty discouraged, I was thinking about staying a fifth year at tech and taking more classes, maybe focusing on a certificate. I already have so many hours though and will probably graduate with a 2.6 at best. I am very lost. Should I try to get into an easier graduate school? I know GA state said even with a 2.5 they would look mainly at the last year if there was a great improvement. Then maybe with a year at GA state I could work hard and graduate with a better GPA ? I do not know. Then I have also had people tell me to just graduate and find a job where I can get some clinical hours, and use my experience to make up for the gpa a bit?
Would anyone with experience have any thoughts on what would be the best way to approach this predicament...?
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Marietta, Georgia

53 months ago

I sorry I forgot to mention I am also trying to get into PA school and trying to figure out which route to take. Or maybe there is no hope!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Baldwin, New York

52 months ago

this is the first year i start my science..but i am very serious about it. i feel science students have to work harder than another major because the only way you got a job is to move on and have excellent GPA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

51 months ago

A 2.4-2.5 would have flunked someone out of many undergraduate programs. Med programs and grad schools typically have a higher grading scale as well. A 2.5 is closer to a "D". That's one of the reasons 3.0 is "required", because that's going to transfer into "C" level grad work.

I'd suggest improving your GPA somehow and/or trying to get into a healthcare program to prove you can do the work. For instance, nursing, RT, PT, radiology all get you work AND practical experience with patients. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Miguel G in Bowling Green, Kentucky

28 months ago

mike in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hey. I am facing the same issues you are and I am absolutely going crazy about it. But, I can't change the past. I also plan to take some classes at the community college to bring my GPA up. But as you know with the way CASPA calculates your GPA, it will take some serious time. Please keep us posted on your most recent progress. THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

Hello, I´m interested in bringing up my GPA also. I was wondering how you´ve been doing? How did it work out for you? If you could give some advice, I'll appreciate it. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.