Low gpa 2.3 - HELP

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

natasha2012 in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

Hi everyone,
I feel so lost, dont know what to do. I have a 2.3 gpa with a b.a in biology and seriously want to get into PA school. I have retaken my anatomy and physio with a A+ and Biochem with A+ as a non degree student and am currently studying for my GRE. Currently I am not working so will start volunteering in a hospital. I do have 5 years of medical assistant background. I was working 2 jobs through college and had alot of family issues at home so couldnt focus on school as much as i wanted to. I got married and now finally have some peace of mind to focus on school....but i am so discouraged because every school out there wants a 3.0 as a minimum gpa requirement...what do i do? which schools do i look at? how do i get started on my research? anyone out there that can help me plzzz!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unknownx in Columbia, Maryland

24 months ago

if i were you I would look at doing a post back or try retaken the class's that hurt you. A 2.3 is low and I know the bare min for 78% schools is a 2.75 and thats just to open your application. I know it kinda sucks because I have alot of freinds in your boat but before they fell any further they switched their major for reasons like this. Im a senior in college grad 2013 then hopefully going to DPT or PA school as well so the info im giving you is relavent

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reaaaaaaly

24 months ago

I'm guessing you have a BS, so that's at least 120 credits. To bring that up to a 3.0 (which isn't even competitive) you'd need at least 100 credits of A level work. Hate to say it, but it's time to be realistic and consider another health profession, like RN, RT or Rad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

aneesahbuckner@hotmail.com in Charleston, Illinois

24 months ago

/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

aneesahbuckner@hotmail.com in Charleston, Illinois

24 months ago

Your story is oh so familiar.
I'd love to chat via email if thats ok.
I'm gearing up to apply for PA school as well.
Hope to hear from you soon, I may have some info that may be of help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Boston, Massachusetts

24 months ago

I am in the same position as you. I'm finding that it is very difficult to raise such a low undergrad gpa through post bac work. But, it can be done. Unfortunately it will take lots of time as the more credits taken the slower your gpa will rise. You may not attain a "competitive" gpa but if you can get to the 3.0 that's enough to have your application be consider. From there you need to make up for what you lack in academics in everything else, LOR, hce, personal statement, GRE all need to be outstanding.

I am currently working on taking my prereqs while working full time as a clinical research assistant. I have first & coauthored many papers, volunteer and am looking to shadow a PA soon. If I do not get accepted the first time around I will continue to take upper level courses and maybe even get an MPH online.

Don't be discouraged! We have a long hard road ahead but it CAN be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Boston, Massachusetts

24 months ago

Ps: Many schools look at your cumulative gpa (ugrad + postbac), 1st step is to get your gpa up. Also, if there are pa programs in your area attend their open houses and meet with admissions counselors. Explain your situation and get feedback from the very people reviewing your app.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lexmen1024 in Chicago, Illinois

8 months ago

Hi I was wondering what ended up happening? I'm currently in your position and doing everything in my power to get into PA school. Any advice?

natasha2012 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi everyone,
I feel so lost, dont know what to do. I have a 2.3 gpa with a b.a in biology and seriously want to get into PA school. I have retaken my anatomy and physio with a A+ and Biochem with A+ as a non degree student and am currently studying for my GRE. Currently I am not working so will start volunteering in a hospital . I do have 5 years of medical assistant background. I was working 2 jobs through college and had alot of family issues at home so couldnt focus on school as much as i wanted to. I got married and now finally have some peace of mind to focus on school....but i am so discouraged because every school out there wants a 3.0 as a minimum gpa requirement...what do i do? which schools do i look at? how do i get started on my research? anyone out there that can help me plzzz!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Alexis in Chicago, Illinois

8 months ago

Hi Lauren, was wondering if you had any updates about your application or if you happened to get in? Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.