Any PA's that Graduated from Miami Dade College?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

aik92 in Orlando, Florida

57 months ago

I was wondering if there are any PA's on this forum that graduated from Miami Dade College's PA program. I got accepted in to their pre-select but decided I would stay in Orlando and complete my pre-reqs at Valencia and then apply for the program when I'm done. Can you tell me what the program was like? How reputable it was? Was it easy or hard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tcray in Miami, Florida

56 months ago

aik92 in Orlando, Florida said: I was wondering if there are any PA's on this forum that graduated from Miami Dade College's PA program. I got accepted in to their pre-select but decided I would stay in Orlando and complete my pre-reqs at Valencia and then apply for the program when I'm done. Can you tell me what the program was like? How reputable it was? Was it easy or hard?

Hello. Im not sure how reputable their program is. However, after researching the pa program at other schools I feel more comfortable going their. I am starting my application proccess now. everyone else requires a bachelors degree to even get considered for the PA program. I feel that Miami dades program caters more to my lifesytle(wife & mother)c

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alli b in Miami, Florida

46 months ago

i was wondering what the specific differences are between a masters PA progam versus a associates degree program like the one at miami-dade college?
I have received my bachelor of arts from a 4 year university however it was in communications so i now need to take a bunch of pre-requisite science courses to apply for a PA program. I dont mind putting the time in to be a PA because I have shadowed a few occupations in hospitals and I feel passionate that this career is the path for me. However I would like to start practicing as possible and was wondering what the major differences are between these degrees as far as employment goes and your market value? If they are both NCCPA board certified programs then what are the stipulations from the masters program to an associate program? especially for someone like me that already has a bachelor degree? or if this even matters because it isnt in the science curriculum? please and thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pinkbuttafly in Jacksonville, Florida

38 months ago

Miami dade does offer a B.A.S. in P.A. BUT.... You have to have an A.A. as a PA first(88credits)I did the research on this because I too am interested in the program. I got my A.A. in pharmacy from Dade and transferred to FIU as a chem major with pharmacy school in mind and am completely miserable there. There is no flexible scheduling whatsoever and by the time i finish my organic II(ugh) and physics requirements ill have to do an extra year just because of when they do or should i say dont offer the classes. Everthing conflicts. Iwant to transfer back to dade. I found out my AA just covers the preselect and still would have to complete 5 more semesters(mainly clinicals) before I can enter the BAS program. Even though it might take and extra year i think its worth it because what should take me 2 years or less at FIU is taking longer.i still would only have a BS in chemistry and would still have to attend pharmacy school. At least with the PA AA degree i can start work in my field immediately after completion. The only down side is i have to backtrack a little and this..So if you don't have a nursing AA or a PA AA you won't be qualified for the BAS. The requirements for the preselect PA before u even dabble in the actual PA course work is definitelty doable. They don't require general chem or orgo only Chm 1033 which is cake. You will have to take anatomy and physiology 1&2 but those are just memorization. Statistics is required as well but entry level.so the science prerequisites are very light compared to medical,dental, and pharmacy requirements.at least 30 hours of shadowing a physician is required as well and a placement exam which I believe is overridden if a hold a previous degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida

37 months ago

Miami-Dade just took the wind out of my sail today, because they very kindly informed me that I would be competing against foreign doctors to get into the program. Furthermore, they explained that I have get as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible. I'm I crazy, because I still want to at least try? I always wanted to be a PA and I feel I don't at least make an attempt than I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life. I appreciate any input and guidance you can offer me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PA wannabe in Rushville, Illinois

37 months ago

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Miami-Dade just took the wind out of my sail today, because they very kindly informed me that I would be competing against foreign doctors to get into the program. Furthermore, they explained that I have get as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible. I'm I crazy, because I still want to at least try? I always wanted to be a PA and I feel I don't at least make an attempt than I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life. I appreciate any input and guidance you can offer me.

Sounds like you're going to have to at least give it a shot. But like others said they really want those with Masters degrees nowadays. PAs are just trying to protect their profession by requiring a higher level of education to even get a job in most places. PA is one of those fields where 20 years ago it was relatively easy to get into. There's at least on around these parts with only an AAS. Wasn't that long ago that an RRT could sit for the exam in this state.

37 months ago

PA wannabe in Rushville, Illinois said: Sounds like you're going to have to at least give it a shot. But like others said they really want those with Masters degrees nowadays. PAs are just trying to protect their profession by requiring a higher level of education to even get a job in most places. PA is one of those fields where 20 years ago it was relatively easy to get into. There's at least on around these parts with only an AAS. Wasn't that long ago that an RRT could sit for the exam in this state.

First of all, I truly appreciate your replying to my email. Miami-Dade PA program only offers an AS. I would be competing with a lot of foreign doctors who do not want to repeat med. school again,they don't speak the language very well, and are settling to be a PA and make roughly $100k a year without much fuss. I on the other hand have always wanted to be a PA, because one has changed my life, and in my personal opinion they offer so much more than an MD. I actually had an MD spend 23 seconds with me in an emergency room, which I had no choice but to time because of the giant ticking clock on the wall. Forgive my ignorance; however, what is an RRT? Anyway, if I make it that far I would due continuing education for my BA and Masters. One step at a time!=0) This has always been my dream, and I'm not going to just drop it for some sloppy second foreigners!lol

37 months ago

tcray in Miami, Florida said: Hello. Im not sure how reputable their program is. However, after researching the pa program at other schools I feel more comfortable going their. I am starting my application proccess now. everyone else requires a bachelors degree to even get considered for the PA program. I feel that Miami dades program caters more to my lifesytle(wife & mother)c

May I ask if you finally got in? Would it be absolutely rude of me if I ask what was your GPA and which of the "highly recommended" courses you actually took? I'm sorry if I sound very nosy, but today I went in person and they said I need to try to get as close to a 4.0 and they have numerous foreign doctors who would like to become PA in the US and I would be competing against them. I personally think this is high way robbery! Just because these dr. don't and possible can't go the US med. school. they are becoming PA as a sloppy second, vs. the rest of us that want this for all its worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GoGetter in Peoria, Illinois

37 months ago

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida said: First of all, I truly appreciate your replying to my email. Miami-Dade PA program only offers an AS. I would be competing with a lot of foreign doctors who do not want to repeat med. school again,they don't speak the language very well, and are settling to be a PA and make roughly $100k a year without much fuss. I on the other hand have always wanted to be a PA, because one has changed my life, and in my personal opinion they offer so much more than an MD. I actually had an MD spend 23 seconds with me in an emergency room, which I had no choice but to time because of the giant ticking clock on the wall. Forgive my ignorance; however, what is an RRT? Anyway, if I make it that far I would due continuing education for my BA and Masters. One step at a time!=0) This has always been my dream, and I'm not going to just drop it for some sloppy second foreigners!lol

An RRT is a registered respiratory therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lissa in Lake Worth, Florida

37 months ago

Hi, I want more than anything to become a PA. I have no interest in being an M.D. I do not want the responsibility that comes with being a M.D. nor do I want to work the endless hours and being on-call. I would like to specialize in surgery (haven't decided which surgical specialty), and then later on switch to anesthesiology. I have 1 & 1/2 years left to finish my B.S. in Biological Science. I have been accepted into the Miami-Dade pre-select PA program and am wondering if I should just go that route or finish my B.S. and go for my masters. I am a paramedic, so I have lot's of experience with patient care. I think I'm probably better off going with finishing my B'S. & doing a masters PA program. But I'm 45yo and am just curious if I did do the Miami-Dade program how difficult would it be to find employment compared to those who are PA's with a masters degree.
Thank you to anyone who can give me advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Lissa, congrats on getting accepted into Miami-Dade.=0) May I ask, in your experience how difficult was it to get into Miami Dade?

37 months ago

Because of my paramedic background & my college 4.0 GPA it wasn't a difficult process for me at all. I only applied so that I may have another option, I have a lot going on with my family and at this point am not sure if I can do the 3+ years to finish my BS and enter a masters level PA program. If I can do what I want with the AS PA program at Miami-Dade then I may go that route, at this point I'm just not sure how I will proceed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

To clarify above "Do the 3+ years....1-1/2yrs to finish BS & 2yrs to finish PA program".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

school schmool in Miami, Florida

37 months ago

i am not claiming any authoritative credentials however I am almost positive you have to at least have a bachelors to become a P.A for employment.
I have many family members in the medical field and have asked people of many different backgrounds with knowledge of this subject and thats what ive gathered. but please feel free to correct me where im wrong.
The fact that you have been a paramedic, this doesnt really apply to you as much, however thats kinda crap. I mean i have my B.A from University of South Florida, a very much accredited university and i have to jump through hoops just to be ELIGIBLE to apply for nursing school! Because my accumulative gpa from my undergrad is under a 3.0 i cant catch a break. my gpa now with all the science pre-reqs is 3.8 but may not be enough, credit wise to pull me into competition.
however if you have an RN you only have to have a 2.5 and it doesnt matter if you re-took any science courses. Im sorry but i went through so much growing up in jobs,and finding myself, volunteering in hospitals, shadowing different professions, moving cities to do pre-reqs and i may not EVEN be looked at for nursing school, in which an RN doesnt even require your bachelor degree. so many people are just doing this career for the stability of cash flow and getting in with their grades while having no people skills/compassion. just another reason why our healthcare is going down the drain.
thanks

37 months ago

Well I don't know if you know this but a paramedic works kind of like a PA, where I work under a Dr's license, as a team player. Although we have a lot of leeway in the field, as to which protocol to follow and if you have a lot of experience as I do 15yrs, we can sometime go with our gut if the Dr knows & trusts you & your judgement which mine does. I happen to believe I have great bedside manner, I've been told and my supervisor has been contacted by many patients, who have said they've never received the level of care that they have with me. I work as a medic/FF in the field and in the trauma center at St. Mary's hospital. I have shadowed many Dr's, in several fields of medicine, all of whom believe I would make a great addition to their team when I get my PA. I have not told them about the acceptance to Miami-Dade yet, as it just happened. I just would like to know if I can expect the same pay as if I had my masters. It's really only 1-1/2yrs more and if the pay difference is great than I would be better off finishing my BS and going from there. I need a good paying job, I am caring for my mom who recently suffered a stroke, and just finished chemo & surgery to fight colo-rectal cancer, and her sister (my aunt), who is in stage 5 kidney failure and was just Dx'd with cancer (a tumor on her L2 spine). I am also about to become a grandmother (my first), and I would like to be able to help my daughter & her husband so she can stay home with my grandbaby as long as possible. So, I have an enormous amount of financial responsibility, and am going through my saving pretty quickly. I think I'll speak to my Dr friends and also call a good friend who is now the Chief Medical Officer at St. Mary's and see what he thinks regarding the AS vs MS, and go from their. Thank you for your information regarding the neurosurgeon for the Panthers.

37 months ago

To "School Schmool" unfortunately GPA is important (but not always the most important factor), and you say you have your BA, I'm not as familiar with the nursing requirements I do know that with a BA and not a BS you would be required to take a few science courses to be eligible for a PA program. However, just by what you said regarding your struggle to find who your are and what your goals are now, the fact that your grades have increased dramatically since you've grown up and figured out where you want to be. There are a lot of students that did not do great in school when they were younger, but really are late bloomers. If I were you I would do everything possible to get a face-to-face interview, and say to them exactly what you said above. You stated quite eloquently why your grades were what they used to be, and why they have improved and your hands-on experience is important too. You may not look great on paper, but be the kind of candidate that needs to be seen in person for others to see what a valued member you would make to the medical profession. I would after I apply or even before I apply contact whoever is in charge of the nursing program(s) that you are trying to get into and just say how you got to where you are, and that you may not look good on paper, but ask them to please consider giving you the chance to interview.
Good luck in you pursue of your dreams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

First of all, I hope your mom and mom get well soon.=0) Second,having great connections will definitely help you get a great paying job. If I was in your position I would ask every single doctor I know the same exact question as to would they hire an AS vs. Master PA and would they offer the same pay. Also what about going into the hospital you are affiliated with and asking your connections there the same question?

PS: Congrats on being a new grandmother. You truly have your hands full, but it's worth it.=0) I have 2 little ones of my own.

37 months ago

Sorry I meant your mom and aunt.

37 months ago

Oh one more thing...If I go with the masters program, I have heard good things about the program at Pace University in Manhattan and would like to know if any of you have attended that PA program or is there another school in NYC that you may recommend. I would love to do my graduate in NYC, I've always wanted to live their, but if there isn't a good PA program then I would consider elsewhere.
Thanks

37 months ago

swtalker, thank you for your kind words, I hope that they will beat this and live many more years, but things are not looking as good as we would like. I am ecstatic about becoming a grandmother, our family needs something to look forward to and to have hope in, this little one may be the medicine that pulls my mom through. My aunt is in much worse shape and things look pretty grim, but I have not lost faith and believe she has the strength & constitution to beat this.
Thanks again!

And I intend on speaking to every Dr that I know, regarding As vs MS, before I make a final decision.

37 months ago

I wish I can be of more help, and you took the words out of my mouth with regards to looking forward to something positive e.g new baby.=0) I'm having another telephone conference with the neurosurgeon on Thursday. I'll post if I find out anymore pertaining to your question.

37 months ago

You've been a big help and I thank you. Sometime it just takes someone to hash things out with.

37 months ago

Yes, please let me know how things went. Good luck with the phone conference. :)

Matt in Daytona Beach, Florida

37 months ago

Hey all, anyone know of current PA students at Miami Dade College PA Program. I'm interested but want to know if this school is worth the time or is it a program were all the learning is from yourself and not your instructors. I have a really bad experience from my nursing school from disorganization. Please any help would be great. Thanks!

37 months ago

I have no idea regarding how much is your responsibility. I do know that it is rapid learning. I spoke to a few Dr.'s regarding whether I should go to Miami-Dade or get my BS and go for my masters PA. They said as long as I passed the PANCE with a good score that it would not matter if I had my AS or MS, that I would be a competitive applicant an d the pay scale would be the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

school schmool in Miami, Florida

37 months ago

also i should probably add that school schmool is the same person as alli b that commented 9 months back. clearly ive been frustrated with the schools red tape and all the comments i hear from people telling me what i should and shouldnt do. lol
but this blog has been helpful, so thanks everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

matt in Tavares, Florida

37 months ago

Lissa in Lake Worth, Florida said: I have no idea regarding how much is your responsibility. I do know that it is rapid learning. I spoke to a few Dr.'s regarding whether I should go to Miami-Dade or get my BS and go for my masters PA. They said as long as I passed the PANCE with a good score that it would not matter if I had my AS or MS, that I would be a competitive applicant an d the pay scale would be the same.

Thanks Lisa that's diffently a reilable source of information.

Do you know any current students there? I want to know if the all students pass all classes or do they weed them out once there in the program?

Are you a current student there?
By the way the program is a AS however after that you can get your BS from Miami Dade College for another year and a half, just to let you know.

37 months ago

matt in Tavares, Florida said: Thanks Lisa that's diffently a reilable source of information.

Do you know any current students there? I want to know if the all students pass all classes or do they weed them out once there in the program?

Are you a current student there?
By the way the program is a AS however after that you can get your BS from Miami Dade College for another year and a half, just to let you know.

I am not a student there yet, I was recently accepted into the Miami-Dade AS PA program. I am sure that they are like most schools, where as the program progresses if a student can't keep a certain GPA that they will be asked to leave. Also if during their clinical rotations if the Dr.'s that they are following believes a student doesn't have what it takes to be a PA or if they believe they are not team players or will not work well under an authoritative figure, that they will also be asked to leave. Please understand that this is just conjecture based on experience, I have no facts at this point to support this theory.
Even though my Dr. friends have said that having an AS with a high PANCE score should not affect my ability to be competitive, I have not yet decided if M-Dade is the right fit for me. What I really would like to do is either get my BS here @ FAU, and then try to get into Pace university or just go to Pace and finish my BS and MS at Pace back-to-back. I have already spoken to admissions and the head of their PA program and they seem to think that I would make a good fit in their school. Either way I am applying to Pace and a number of other schools that have PA programs, so that I can finish my BS at and then attend their PA program. Even though I would have to live on campus due to finances (the oldest living dorm student...lol), I think that it would be worth it.
Also, are there ANY PA's that graduated from Miami-Dade. So I know for sure if my Dr. friends are right about me being a competitive applicant.
Thanks

mj in Boca Raton, Florida

34 months ago

If anyone has taken the admissions test to Miami Dade's AS PA program, can you please let me know what it's like? I've been studying the Chung anatomy book they told me to, there's a TON of material. Are the questions like the questions in the book? What is the best approach to study for the exam?

JU in Hollywood, Florida

33 months ago

Lissa in Lake Worth, Florida said: I am not a student there yet, I was recently accepted into the Miami-Dade AS PA program. I am sure that they are like most schools, where as the program progresses if a student can't keep a certain GPA that they will be asked to leave. Also if during their clinical rotations if the Dr.'s that they are following believes a student doesn't have what it takes to be a PA or if they believe they are not team players or will not work well under an authoritative figure, that they will also be asked to leave. Please understand that this is just conjecture based on experience, I have no facts at this point to support this theory.
Even though my Dr. friends have said that having an AS with a high PANCE score should not affect my ability to be competitive, I have not yet decided if M-Dade is the right fit for me. What I really would like to do is either get my BS here @ FAU, and then try to get into Pace university or just go to Pace and finish my BS and MS at Pace back-to-back. I have already spoken to admissions and the head of their PA program and they seem to think that I would make a good fit in their school. Either way I am applying to Pace and a number of other schools that have PA programs, so that I can finish my BS at and then attend their PA program. Even though I would have to live on campus due to finances (the oldest living dorm student...lol), I think that it would be worth it.
Also, are there ANY PA's that graduated from Miami-Dade. So I know for sure if my Dr. friends are right about me being a competitive applicant.
Thanks

I graduated from the Miami Dade PA program in 2005. I am now making 6 figures, which is more than some of my doctor friends. I did not do too well on my PANCE because I was unable to study. I believe it's the way you present yourself and your bedside manner that really counts. I wake up every morning loving what I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Hi there,

This is for the person that's making 6 figured and has graduated for Miami-Dade PA. May I ask what field you practice in?

Thanks,
=0)

MauriMao in Miami, Florida

33 months ago

Hello I've read all of the post and we all have the same question in mind about MDC's AS PA program. I also am stuck at the moment and would appreciate some help from you all. My current degree is just an AA and I was going to complete my pre-req's to pursue pharmacy at NOVA. But, I've had a change of heart and am deciding to try and get into a PA program here in Florida such as NOVA, Keiser, or MDC. I already am attending MDC so was leaning towards there but was contemplating that AS vs. Masters dilemma. NOVA and Keiser require BS, so here is my question: what should I do! i can either go to FIU and get a BS in Bio or finish of my pre-req's, which aren't a lot, and go and apply for MDC PA program. Also, i would like to start shadowing and don't have any idea where to go. Do I just go to a hospital and ask or is there a another method...I'm clueless. Please help, Thanks.

marie21 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

TO those of you who took the MDC PA preselection exam. I wanted to know what approach did you take to study. This book is really detailed.

any certain techniques?

Lifeguard&PA in Delray Beach, Florida

32 months ago

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hi there,

This is for the person that's making 6 figured and has graduated for Miami-Dade PA. May I ask what field you practice in?

Thanks,
=0)

Hello,

Any PA on the south Florida area that would allow me to shadow them.
email - raulaleman@rocketmail.com

Thanks

Thanks

JU in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hi there,

Thanks,
=0)

I practice in urgent care, but we also do minor cosmetic procedures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

May I ask, do you work in Miami-Dade or Broward County?

Cristy in Miami, Florida

32 months ago

Hi,
Did anyone took the PA entrance test for the MDC?
They are making so many changes on this test and I'm getting confused..
If you did, can you tell me what is the test like?
Thanks

tp20 in Charlotte, North Carolina

32 months ago

Has everyone already taken there entrance test for MDC? I still haven't heard anything back!

mdc pas in Miami, Florida

30 months ago

Cristy in Miami, Florida said: Hi,
Did anyone took the PA entrance test for the MDC?
They are making so many changes on this test and I'm getting confused..
If you did, can you tell me what is the test like?
Thanks

Hi Cristy,
Do you have the Anatomy book by Chung? If you or anyone would like to buy it from me email minuteok@yahoo.com. Its in "like new" condition (no pencil markings or highlighting).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GG in Miami, Florida

16 months ago

JU in Hollywood, Florida said: I graduated from the Miami Dade PA program in 2005. I am now making 6 figures, which is more than some of my doctor friends. I did not do too well on my PANCE because I was unable to study. I believe it's the way you present yourself and your bedside manner that really counts. I wake up every morning loving what I do.

Hello JU in Hollywood. I am in the process of finishing my requirements so that I may apply to MDC PA program. I was wondering if you can answer some questions for me. First, if I may ask, what was your gpa when you applied for the program? Second, what preparations did you make in order to study for the entrance exam? (ex. what material was in the exam?) Third, I see you are having great success as a PA. Congrats on that. You said that you did not do so well in the PANCE. During your interview/hiring process, what do you think helped you land the job? I hear although you are book smart, if you are not a "people" person, they will deterred in hiring you. I hope I get a response from you as it will provide me with valuable information. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Gabe

Canadianhaitian in Lake Worth, Florida

11 months ago

Has someone graduated from there 2011 and up? If so, how was the job competition and salary? Does it make a difference if you have an associate or a master? I'm assuming more employers are considering masters because pa is now highly competitive, I heard from a lot of people they cannot find pa jobs in south fl. If associate, bachelor or master didnt make a difference then why are they closing associate and bachelor programs by 2020?? On the other hand, I hear people say a PA is a PA is a PA as long as you pass your tests and you a re certified you are a qualified PA ( which makes sense to me) . I looked at some pa resume just to see if they put where they graduate from and guess what? They don"t all you put are your certification and state licensure none mention the school or the kind of degree they have!! If someone can enlighten on this subject it will be appreciated. I plan on applying by January 2015. Thank you

VanessaGS in Valencia, Venezuela

6 months ago

JU in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I practice in urgent care, but we also do minor cosmetic procedures.

Hello JU! I would like to talk to you regarding your career! Can you tell me which Bachelor's Degree (Biology, Pre-PA, Health Sciences?) did you do prior to the PA program at MDC? And later on, how was the experience when you got into the PA Program?

Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.