Reapplicants who got in PA schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

SA in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

I know there are many people out there, like me, who did not get into PA schools on their first try. I want to get feedback from those who reapplied and got in. What did you do to make your application better? what advice do you have for those who are trying for the second time? your comments will be very helpful! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Dallas, Texas

66 months ago

A friend of mine didn't get in the first trial, reason being he didn't have enough health care experience. He didn't have a bachelors degree either. So, he was advised to do some voluntering and then give it a shoot on the next application cycle. Well, he volunteered for almost a year in a hospital and then re-applied. He made it into the program. Health care experience is very important. You don't have to be a nurse to get that experience. Just volunteer enough hours at the hospital. It will give you some an edge over most applicants. Most applicant ignore the healthcare experience, thinking they can make it into the program without it. It is the single most critical part of the application process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Traci in Salt Lake City, Utah

66 months ago

SA in Los Angeles, California said: I know there are many people out there, like me, who did not get into PA schools on their first try. I want to get feedback from those who reapplied and got in. What did you do to make your application better? what advice do you have for those who are trying for the second time? your comments will be very helpful! =)

i'm not in either but i would recommend to0..

-Buy the Book How to get into the PA school of your choice.
-contact the schools you got denied in and ask what would make you a better applicant
-paid medical experience
-better grades- some schools do not like you to retact classes though so find out first

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Statesboro, Georgia

56 months ago

What PA schools can I get accepted to with a 2.5 gpa. I know of some that have minimum requirements of a 2.5 but the competive gpa is a 3.4. Do you know anyone who has been accepted to PA school with less than stellar gpa? Anyone ever been accepted with a gpa as low as mine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in San Diego, California

56 months ago

My situation is also like Terry's. Right now, I'm a 5th year undergraduate and planning on graduating in June. I'm then planning on getting a Medical Assistant certificate in order to work as a CMA for the healthcare experience and then applying to PA school. The only problem is I have a 2.5 cumulative gpa and my science gpa is even lower than that. :( Does anyone know of friends or family who were accepted to PA school with a low gpa? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

horrible in Westminster, California

51 months ago

man, i am miserable... i just need a list of schools that take low gpas...thanks everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vitD in San Jose, California

51 months ago

horrible in Westminster, California said: man, i am miserable... i just need a list of schools that take low gpas...thanks everyone

there are typically 1000+ applicants for less than 50 spots at each program in california. a good number of these applicants have extremely competitive stats, and it is unlikely they will choose someone with low stats when they have many competitive applicants to choose from. so unless you have extraordinary work experience/volunteer hours/GREscore/recommendations to outweigh your low gpa, i'd say maybe look for another profession to pursue. that, or you can spend some time retaking classes to up your gpa and work/volunteer to make the rest of your application stand out. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gator1 in Suwanee, Georgia

51 months ago

Who do you thank you are trying upset somebody dream about going to PA school . You need Come off the cross somebody needs the wood. Listen Go for your dreams do not let somebody whom thanks they know it all stop you.When one door close another should open ,keep your head up,and believe in the Lord he believe strongly in you. Last time I check know One above him. When Lord on side no one can stop you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

vitD in San Francisco, California

51 months ago

Gator1 in Suwanee, Georgia said: Who do you thank you are trying upset somebody dream about going to PA school . You need Come off the cross somebody needs the wood. Listen Go for your dreams do not let somebody whom thanks they know it all stop you.When one door close another should open ,keep your head up,and believe in the Lord he believe strongly in you. Last time I check know One above him. When Lord on side no one can stop you.

ummm THANKS for the comment, but i kinda know what i'm talking about. i'm no PA expert, but i have been accepted to a great PA school on my THIRD attempt, so i've been through the process a few times and know how competitive it is and how hard you have to work to make yourself stand out without amazing stats. i'm not saying it's impossible to get into PA school with not-so-great stats..because I am one of those who did. it just irks me to see that this person is simply looking for a list of schools that takes low gpa's aka looking for an easy way in to a program..but really, there is no easy way. even if you meet the min requirements does not mean you will be granted an interview because there are hundreds of others who have much better stats. did my advice not make sense or something?? the poster should look on paea, see which schools fit their criteria and do their own research. he/she also did not give much info about his/her stats, so i am just giving general advice. i apologize if my comment came off as harsh, but he/she needs to realize how competitive it is with a growing amount of applicants every year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vitD in San Francisco, California

51 months ago

Gator1 in Suwanee, Georgia said: Who do you thank you are trying upset somebody dream about going to PA school . You need Come off the cross somebody needs the wood. Listen Go for your dreams do not let somebody whom thanks they know it all stop you.When one door close another should open ,keep your head up,and believe in the Lord he believe strongly in you. Last time I check know One above him. When Lord on side no one can stop you.

also, at least i tried to come up with applicable advice. encouragement's cool too, but it's not really going to help too incredibly much, is it? one more thing..people who can spell and write sentences with correct grammar also have better credibility. just some advice for ya! :)

to the OP: check out www.physicianassistantforum.com. lots of good info and a good place to receive advice from students and practicing PAs. maybe you can post your stats and situation, and they can give you useful advice there..because apparently, if you try that here you just get people getting upset instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gator1 in Suwanee, Georgia

51 months ago

Listen you can do it,Do not let stuck up jerks keep you from your dreams. For the jerk speaking about my grammar I have been a PA For 20 yrs. I have been in your shoe's before. I had people like this who thank just making A on there transcript will make them a better PA or maybe a good person. Trust me it take whole lot more than that. Its takes a special person to want to be a PA. The First Thing it takes heart and strong dedication to others. Any fool can make " A" .
Do you know there is ton of people in the medical field that are book smart. When it come down to wire can not remember a thing when real patients come in trust me I served in combat in the U.S. Military as a Combat PA in desert storm and in Iraq. Do not get me wrong but if you have enough faith you can over come that mountain, just trust yourself and go for it. If that school did not except you go for another ,When one door shuts ,another shell open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

vitD in San Jose, California

51 months ago

Gator1 in Suwanee, Georgia said: For your advice jerk I have Been a PA for the last 20 years so I do know what I am talking about. So far about grammar I am not Harvard graduate But do know whom a jerk and whom is not.

you do not need to be a harvard graduate to write and spell correctly. no need for name calling, thanks. i don't feel the need to argue with someone who clearly doesn't even understand the point of my posts (when did i ever say being a straigh A student will get you in a PA program?). however, i do thank you for the service you have provided for our country and i deeply respect PAs who have been in the field for a long time. good luck to the original poster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PA in Boise, Idaho

46 months ago

Gator1 in Suwanee, Georgia said: Listen you can do it,Do not let stuck up jerks keep you from your dreams. For the jerk speaking about my grammar I have been a PA For 20 yrs. I have been in your shoe's before. I had people like this who thank just making A on there transcript will make them a better PA or maybe a good person. Trust me it take whole lot more than that. Its takes a special person to want to be a PA. The First Thing it takes heart and strong dedication to others. Any fool can make " A" .
Do you know there is ton of people in the medical field that are book smart. When it come down to wire can not remember a thing when real patients come in trust me I served in combat in the U.S. Military as a Combat PA in desert storm and in Iraq. Do not get me wrong but if you have enough faith you can over come that mountain, just trust yourself and go for it. If that school did not except you go for another ,When one door shuts ,another shell open.

You're a PA? Def. doesn't sound like one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Jacksonville, Florida

46 months ago

vitD in San Jose, California said: you do not need to be a harvard graduate to write and spell correctly. no need for name calling, thanks. i don't feel the need to argue with someone who clearly doesn't even understand the point of my posts (when did i ever say being a straigh A student will get you in a PA program?). however, i do thank you for the service you have provided for our country and i deeply respect PAs who have been in the field for a long time. good luck to the original poster.

I just read your post here about applying to PA school and getting in on your third attempt. I have great respect and admire you for being this determined. I am currently a undergraduate student majoring in biomedicine. I have had some major obstacles that I have had to overcome early in my education. Anyways my GPA suffered and now I am afraid that my dreams of becoming a PA will never come true. I would love to hear your experience trough the whole application process. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida

35 months ago

Hi Everyone,

This might seem like a foolish question; however, does one must have a BS degree to get into a PA program? My sister-in-law suggested that I become a PA. I looked it up ,and now I've been just obsessed with the notion that I can one day be helping people live a healthier and hopefully longer life. I seriously can't think of anything else lately. I feel like I'm going on a first date, scared and excited simultaneously.

I appreciate your responses.

Sincerely,
swtalker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roadkiller in Palo Alto, California

35 months ago

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hi Everyone,

This might seem like a foolish question; however, does one must have a BS degree to get into a PA program? My sister-in-law suggested that I become a PA. I looked it up ,and now I've been just obsessed with the notion that I can one day be helping people live a healthier and hopefully longer life. I seriously can't think of anything else lately. I feel like I'm going on a first date, scared and excited simultaneously.

Sincerely,
swtalker

Hi SWTALKER!
No...a BS is not required to get into a PA program. There are a handful of really good books to help you evaluate yourself and to prepare for entrance into a PA program. However, depending upon your geographic location or willingness to relocate the programs you qualify to apply may be a bit more limited.
Google search: Physician Assistant educational program list, Physician Assistant forum or PA Student forum
Good luck and keep researching and learning and shoot for your goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida

35 months ago

Hi there again,

Which books do you recommend?

Furthermore, I think my question wasn't clear, and I apologize about that. I was actually wondering if I need to have a bachelor's degree OF ANY KIND in order to apply to PA program?

I very much appreciate your response, and I really thank you for the time you take to this matter.

Sincerely,

swtalker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Hello again,

Minimum requirements for certain PA programs (like Stanford University or Univ California- Davis) require an Associates degree and LOTS of healthcare work experience. Other PA programs (like Wichita State University) require a bachelor's degree and if they require a bachelor's it is often tied to a science background...so often a B.S.

Please go to the website associated with the title below:
Physician Assistant Education Association There's a online directory to all the US Physician Assistant education programs. You'll need to register but so is life on the internet.

Every profession that has ties to medicine will have a national association that serves its members. For Physician Assistants (including students) called the American Academy of Physician Assistants.

A wonderful online reference is the PA Forum that has Q and A sections for those wanting to GO to PA school! Here's the address:
www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/forum.php

As for the book. This book is available on Amazon.com or often in bookstores like Borders. Getting Into the Physician Assistant School of Your Choice [Paperback]
Andrew Rodican (Author)

Become your OWN advocate and start surrounding yourself with POSITIVE support people.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lucky husband in Bluffton, South Carolina

27 months ago

My wife got into the PA program at MUSC on her first try!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Vaishnavi B in Rochester, New York

27 months ago

Hi everybody,

I would really need many advices I can. I am in my fourth year at undergraduate school, majoring in Biology. First of the all, my cumulative GPA is 3.089 and my science GPA is 2.92. I had few C's in science courses which are Intro to Biology I (in intro to biology II and III, I got B's), cell biology, evolutionary biology, organic chemistry III (in orgo I, I got a B and in orgo II, I got an A) and genetics. Rest of my science classes are mostly B's and few A's. Do you think I should re-take cell biology,organic chemistry III and genetics again to pull my GPA up? I am still taking few required science classes left. So far, I am doing well in science classes that I am currently taking now. What are the pre-requistes courses for all physician assistant program? What kind of questions will be ask during the interviews? Which physician assistant programs (preferably in NY or NJ or PA) are good to get into? Any advices are greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Vaishnavi B in Rochester, New York

27 months ago

Hi everybody,

I would really need many advices I can. I am in my fourth year at undergraduate school, majoring in Biology. First of the all, my cumulative GPA is 3.089 and my science GPA is 2.92. I had few C's in science courses which are Intro to Biology I (in intro to biology II and III, I got B's), cell biology, evolutionary biology, organic chemistry III (in orgo I, I got a B and in orgo II, I got an A) and genetics. Rest of my science classes are mostly B's and few A's. Do you think I should re-take cell biology,organic chemistry III and genetics again to pull my GPA up? I am still taking few required science classes left. So far, I am doing well in science classes that I am currently taking now. What are the pre-requistes courses for all physician assistant program? What kind of questions will be ask during the interviews? Which physician assistant programs (preferably in NY or NJ or PA) are good to get into? Any advices are greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Vaishnavi B in Rochester, New York said:

What are the pre-requistes courses for all physician assistant program?

This is a great question. You have to check each program individually as there isn't a single list of pre-reqs for all PA programs. This is important for you to find out as soon as possible also.

What kind of questions will be ask during the interviews?
Seems like you have a larger window of time here to be concerned with interview questions and there are a few resources I have listed in a previous response which you might find helpful.

Which physician assistant programs (preferably in NY or NJ or PA) are good to get into?

Research, research, research (get used to this mantra).

My final piece of advice? Get HANDS-ON healthcare experience. Do this leading up to and during your application process. EMT, Phlebotomy, CNA, Medical Assistant, Paramedic, Athletic Trainer(student) are all areas with real world experience applicable to the PA profession.

PA school isn't a 'cake-walk' for 80% of the people who make it in and survive. The more real world experience you have the easier your learning curve.

If you research the history of Physician Assistants you will soon realize that even though it might "look" like an entry-level job...it is NOT. By this I mean that a person can go to a CNA program and this would perhaps be his or her first health care job or entry level into the branch of nursing. Followed by a trip to nursing school and the credential of RN upon passing a national board examination.

Please go to the website associated with the title below:
Physician Assistant Education Association There's a online directory to all the US Physician Assistant education programs. You'll need to register but so is life on the internet.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jsaesee in Fresno, California

26 months ago

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hi Everyone,

This might seem like a foolish question; however, does one must have a BS degree to get into a PA program? My sister-in- law suggested that I become a PA. I looked it up ,and now I've been just obsessed with the notion that I can one day be helping people live a healthier and hopefully longer life. I seriously can't think of anything else lately. I feel like I'm going on a first date, scared and excited simultaneously.

you dont need a BA to be a PA-C. its kinda complicated to understand because there are so many routes you can take. riverside community college has a program where all you need to meet are the pre reqs. if become a PA-c first (physican assistant certified) then you can go back for any major when you go for a BA. if you do BA first, school recommend you to have a BS in science courses before being accepted, so your limited. UC Davis only offered a certificate upon completion, but because you have a BA you can go straight for your masters if youd like. i hope this helped!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in Santa Cruz, California

10 months ago

horrible in Westminster, California said: man, i am miserable... i just need a list of schools that take low gpas...thanks everyone

I would like to share a link to a wonderful PA school directory for potential PAs to research available schools. It is free and designed to allow for categorical search based on several factors including minimum GPA.

www.paschoolfinder.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in Santa Cruz, California

10 months ago

Here is a very useful Physician Assistant School Cost Comparison Table:

www.thepalife.com/physician-assistant-program-tuition-and-costs-estimated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vaishnavi in Waterbury, Connecticut

5 months ago

roadkiller in Palo Alto, California said:

Thank you! By the way, do volunteering as patient care aide at the hospital counts as healthcare experience that would look good on physician assistant application? Sorry for a long reply, because I didn't get this notification that someone replied to my message!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.