Salary of a P.A. in DERMATOLOGY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 286)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Monica in Duluth, Georgia

96 months ago

Hi,

I was wondering what a Dermatology Physician's Assistant made on average. I also was wondering what the difference between a Doctor's salary and a P.A.'s salary were?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (566) / No (93) Reply - Report abuse

anne in New York, New York

95 months ago

are you still interested in this topic? if so let me know and we can discuss. Are you a derm PA?

thanks!

Anne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Jaclyn

95 months ago

Anne, I recently graduated from PA school in New York. I am looking to go into Dermatology. I also had a few questions as far as job hunting and salary. I was wondering if you could answer some of them. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Albuquerque, New Mexico

94 months ago

Hi Anne,

I am a new grad in New Mexico and am interested in dermatology. I have experience in this field as a medical technician. I have applied for a position and am awaiting a possible interview and would like to know what a fair starting salary would be?
Thanks for your help...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Hudson, Wisconsin

93 months ago

I'm very interested in becoming a PA in dermatology. I'm in my second year of college and am a biology major. I couldn't really find any information on the internet but I found this blog and thought you could maybe help me with some general questions. It seems like you've been very willing to assist others! Basically I'm just wondering if it's hard to get a job in this profession, on average how much it pays, and what route for school should I follow? I really don't know anything about this but know I want to go into dermatology; the only thing is I don't want to be in school for 12 years to become an actual dermatologist so I think a dermatology PA is the perfect profession for me. Any comments, thoughts, or ideas would be very helpful to me! You can email me at annie.taylor@uwrf.edu if that would be easier for you.

Thanks!
-Annie :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sophia in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

I am a PA working in Aesthetic Derm. I am a new grad and started off with 82K....i do work 6 days/week only 6 hrs/day though....its a great schedule....i wasnt willing to accept less than that...i also came across many offers 65-70K.....but if you wait it out, you will find something, dont let our profession down! We all know that we worked extremely hard to get to where we are, not mentioning all those crazy loans! Good luck everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Merritt Alexandra King in San Francisco, California

84 months ago

My goal in the end of all this schooling is to be a PA working in Dermatology. I'm literally just beginning the whole process of pre-reqs and such. What was your path in getting enough hours of healthcare experience to be excepted for PA school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Kelly in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Hi Anne,

I am a new grad in New Mexico and am interested in dermatology. I have experience in this field as a medical technician. I have applied for a position and am awaiting a possible interview and would like to know what a fair starting salary would be?
Thanks for your help...

If you did not go to PA school and are not a board certified PA then you cannot work as a PA. PA's go through intense medical training. I think you may be confused about the profession. Did you say you were a medical technician?

Anne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Are you a PA? Do you know what a PA is? Hope I can help but I need a little more information. Thanks:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in New York, New York

84 months ago

Hi Anne,
I currently live in NYC and I am applying to PA school for the following term but have not had any luck finding a PA that is amenable to letting me shadow them. There is a lot of initial interest (I have contacted all PA's that we have as contacts at my work) but I think the logistics get complicated b/c I am not an employee. Do you have any suggestions for me? Do you know the best route to finding a PA that will allow me to shadow them?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Teresa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alina in Flushing, New York

84 months ago

bill@paworld.net in Appleton, Wisconsin said: Teresa in New York, New York

You may find it helpful to search our job pages as often they are glad to help with shadowing. PAworld.net/jobs/

best wishes, and welcome to PAworld, bill

Hi. I am looking to shadow a PA also,( thanks for the advice) , i went to the link but there are so many sites/phone numbers. How do you procede from there? Do you have to be a member? Thank you.

bill@paworld.net in Appleton, Wisconsin

84 months ago

you have to be a member? NO-it's always free to candidates and students and interested parties.

When you scroll down the page at
PAworld.net/jobs/

you will find a search bar using Google so you may search by city, state, etc. shoule help narrow it down for you. There are several years of job posts so you may want to try the email first-but if they've posted a job since 2004 to present I most likely have them on those pages.

You may also search at NPworld.us/jobs/

I hope it helps...bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alina in Flushing, New York

84 months ago

Thanks. I look it up.

Caroline in Bluffton, South Carolina

84 months ago

Do you know of any opportunity in the Charleston, SC area? I am currently undergoing classes for my pre-req's (just beginning this process!) I want to apply and attend MUSC. ANy advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Caroline in Bluffton, South Carolina

84 months ago

Also, did you work at all during school to get $$ or did you rely solely on loans? How much debt should I expect to incur? Thanks!

Amy in Nashville, Tennessee

84 months ago

Most programs do not allow much time in order to work because they are so intense. I never would have had the time or energy to work in addition to class and studying. I lived off student loans and incurred a total of about $75,000 in debt. This can be more or less depending if you have someone to help you, and where you are going to school. I also had help from my boyfriend since he worked, but was living in an area that had a very inflated cost of living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Santo in Staten Island, New York

84 months ago

Hi all, I am a PA who has worked in derm for 8 months while also working in an Emergency Room, and love it. I am having a hard time locating a new position in dermatology in the NJ or SI area. Does anyone know of any openings or location with derm job listings?

Santo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Santo send me your resume to get the word out, bill@paworld.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles in Bel Air, Maryland

83 months ago

Hello,
I have recently decided on being a PA as a career and have looked into Towson U's PA program. I know I have a ways to go before I reach my goal, but can anyone tell me the difference in salary (starting-max including # of years) for a Derm PA and one who specializes in plastic surgery as I am interested in both. Thank You for your help. If you could would you please email me at tcbcms@comcast.net

Lisa in San Diego, California

83 months ago

Hi,
Can someone tell me what PA schools exist in California that emphasize in dermatology? If I attend a program in another state, could that lessen my chances of finding a job back in California after graduation?
Thank you for your help.
Lisa

Kailyn in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

83 months ago

Hi there,
I'm just going into my sophmore year in college and I stumbled across information about PA's this summer. I became really interested in the program, especially when I discovered the Derm option.
I have been switching my major back and forth this past year between Biomedical Sciences & Kinesiology. I didn't know if there is a specific degree you should have before applying for PA school, or if they accept most health related majors. I feel a bit lost, I must say, because I finally found what I want to do.. I just do not know how to go about pursuing it. If anyone has any advice to give to someone who is just starting the PA journey, please let me know!! I would really appreciate it.

83 months ago

This should help...most PA schools have about the same pre application requirements. Science is heavy. Derm is not always a main area of study but clinicals can be found in Derm to both train and give you experience. So check out the PA schools you might be interested in and find what you need to study for acceptance.

www.paeaonline.org/ProgListing.asp
portal.caspaonline.org/

You will need some time shadowing a PA ...you may use my job board at PAworld.net/jobs/ and/or Google to search for PA jobs in your area of interests and contact them to ask if they offer shadowing.

best wishes, bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Santo in Staten Island, New York

83 months ago

If you want to be a PA that is what you should major in. Most schools have a PA major and you will not need to major in anything else. If you feel you need to major and transfer into another school then any degree would suffice as long as you take the minimum requirements to that PA program.

Katie frm nyc

83 months ago

Hi everyone I am enrolled in york college part of cuny in nyc. I am doing my prerequisites for the pa program there.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what pa school is?
I thought all I had to do was get my bachelors degree major in a pa program & that was it. Not trying to underestimate this career but what is pa school?

Does it matter what college I attend or only that I get an excellent gpa & am certified?

I am extremely confused can anyone please help..

Clare Donovan in New Orleans, Louisiana

82 months ago

Hi I am just about to start my frist year of college. I am very intersted in becomming a PA for derm. I was wondering how many years of schooling lus how long is a PA program?Thanks

Lisa in San Diego, California

82 months ago

PLEASE HELP:
Hi,
Can someone tell me what PA schools exist in California that emphasize in dermatology? Or how do you get an emphasis in dermatology? If I attend a program in another state, could that lessen my chances of finding a job back in California after graduation?
Thank you for your help.
Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Razia Naina in Albany, New York

82 months ago

Hi

I graduated from Albany Medical College masters Physician Assistant program over the summer and am looking for job openings in dermatology in and around Albany, NY. If anyone has any leads, please let me know.

Razia

Zea in Albany, New York

82 months ago

I hear Dr. Kircher is looking for a PA

anne in Bronx, New York

82 months ago

login to the sdpa website. I think there is a job posting near that area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bernadette in Roslyn Heights, New York

82 months ago

Hi,
I am 44 years old. I have been a PA for 21 years-last 10 part-time. I have always worked in the hospital setting--becoming burnt out. Have worked in surgery (not plastics) and ortho. As I am getting older have become more interested in the derm-cosmetic field. Eventhough I am reading this is a hot field to go into-do not see many postings in the New York City area--especially Long Island/ Queens area. Also, are dermatology physicians willing to train? How do you get experience otherwise-(especially with equipment-procedures)
Highly motivated. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lana in Flushing, New York

81 months ago

Why so many PAs want to get in to the dermatology? What are the advantages to other specialties? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in Towson, Maryland

80 months ago

Hi..I am currently a sophomore at Towson U interested in being a PA. I am looking to get experience in healthcare as I am aware I should have numerous hours completed before applying to PA school. What are some of my options when completing these hours...volunteering, shadowing, etc? Also I am interested in attending PA school in FA or CA, does anyone have any info on schools in those states? PLEASE HELP! my email in cmuchl1@towson.edu

bill@paworld.net in Menasha, Wisconsin

80 months ago

Hi Colleen, though similar, each PA school has it's own criteria for previous medical experience. Here's a link by state of PA schools www.aapa.org/pgmlist.php3

You will be able to email them as well as view thier pre-admission info on their website.

also wwwPAworld.net/jobs/ has medical sites that hire PAs since 2005 for research where you might be able to get more information and opportunities to meet your pre-admission requirements.

best wishes, bill

Demi in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

Hi All,
i have been reading through all of the posts and they have been of some help, but hopefully i can receive some more information. I am interested in being a derm P.A. and i will be enrolling to get liscensed to be an esthetician and from there go into derm p.a. is tampa fl a good area to be for this? How much school debt am i looking into and how do i find a good school in this area? im just starting out, i need help in the right direction as to how i should get started. I am working currently full time is it possible to keep my job and still go to school to be a p.a.? PLEASE help me out with any tips!! Im still unsure how to go about this. But i like school and i want to get back into it! thanks a bunch! i hope to hear something soon! thanks all!

sara in New York, New York

80 months ago

You definitely cannot keep any job while in PA school. You will not have a life for 3 years...think of going through a more difficult version of medical school in 3 years. You have to be mentally prepared and realize that it is not an easy ride. You first must do all of your science pre med prerequisites and then apply to school as it is very competitive...you may not get in on your first try unless your application is solid. I am not trying to discourage you but you need to be prepared. Why are you studying to be an esthetician if you plan on applying to PA school? have you completed all of your sciences requirements?

Demi in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

i am looking to go into college, so as of the moment i am not enrolled in science prereq. i was looking to be an aesthetician because i wanted to apply my pa more to dermatology/cosm. derm then to hospital environment. so i figured the training and knowledge i would gain from the skin care aspect would benefit me towards what i want to apply my PA towards.I understand i would have to be mentally prepared for "no life" for three years, but i think if someone were to really want something, anyone would have to be mentally prepared. This is a field i enjoy and i would love to be a part of

sara in New York, New York

80 months ago

I say this in the nicest way possible -If you are looking to become a derm PA, I don’t think having a aesthetician background will help you get into the specialty. maybe if you have some laser experience it could help (pending what state you are in as some states only allow PA's and MD's to perform laser). I don’t think doing facials etc.. will help boost your resume much. You are better off getting a job working in a hospital or in a Medical practice as this will boost your resume to get into PA school. The more medical background you have the better. Doing EMT work or doing clinical research will help you more. However, if you have not started college yet and need money while you are doing your BS degree before PA school, then an aesthetician degree may be the right choice for you.

fefee in Anaheim, California

80 months ago

hi i ve done my MBBS from back home wana apply for PA can someone plzzzzzzzzz guide me to which school should i apply im v much cunfused .i also wanted to ask do the pa schools sponsor f1 visa...?
is it must to submit ssn to get an admision
thanks so much
plz do reply

Nick Henson in tulsa, Oklahoma

80 months ago

Hi, im a Freshman in college right now and i want to be a Dermatologist PA and i was wondering which path i should choose to be succesful in getting into Derm. school.Please email me at nickhenson3@hotmail.com

LesH

80 months ago

A listing of average specialty salaries can be found here:
physician-assistant.advanceweb.com/editorial/content/editorial.aspx?CC=108754
Hope this helps.

fefee in Anaheim, California

80 months ago

hi plzzzzz i need some imp info....plzz someone reply.....i just wana ask if im on f1 ....then after completin this course ....will someone offers me h1 ...does any hospital or private clinic will give me h1 or j1
plzz do reply iwill be v thankful

amar in Las Vegas, Nevada

80 months ago

anne in New York, New York said: If you did not go to PA school and are not a board certified PA then you cannot work as a PA. PA's go through intense medical training. I think you may be confused about the profession. Did you say you were a medical technician?

Anne

Hi Anne , i have a lot of questions if you have the time for them, i am trying to find a PA who already did graduate from PA school and knows how the whole process works. Do you mind me contacting you via email or vice versa ? thanks a lot, i would really appreciate it :)

80 months ago

if you would like to provide your email I can contact you to discuss this further.

amar in Las Vegas, Nevada

80 months ago

yes .. its kantouchdis44@yahoo.com .. thanks a lot :)

lana in Downey, California

79 months ago

anne in New York, New York said: if you would like to provide your email I can contact you to discuss this further.

Hey Anne,

I'm interested in going into Dermatology. I am currently a 2nd year PA student,
and will be graduating in August. I don't plan to take th boards until Sept. or Oct. What steps should i take to ensure i get a great job right away. What would you say is an exceptable salary for someone who has shadowed a derm pa for 1 month and rotated for another month. I'd like to hear from you, with your advise since you seem to have more experience in this field. my email is lsboayes3361@hotmail.com.....hope to hear from you soon.

lana

Erin Nancy in Athens, Ohio

78 months ago

anne in New York, New York said: do you want to talk on the blog or via email? I am a derm PA and can try and answer many of your questions:)

Anne (New York, New York)

Dear Anne,
I hope you are still on this blog. I am really interested in being a derm PA. I really considered being a dermatologist but would am trying to focus more on the derm PA. I am trying to find out information about it but am coming up very short. I was wondering if you had the time to answer many of my questions. I am a sophmore at Ohio University and fretting! Thank you!

Erin Nancy in Athens, Ohio

78 months ago

Erin Nancy in Athens, Ohio said: Dear Anne,
I hope you are still on this blog. I am really interested in being a derm PA. I really considered being a dermatologist but would am trying to focus more on the derm PA. I am trying to find out information about it but am coming up very short. I was wondering if you had the time to answer many of my questions. I am a sophmore at Ohio University and fretting! Thank you! My email is er310006@ohio.edu.

John in Ogden, Utah

78 months ago

Hi Anne,

I hope you dont mind people asking you questions. I am very interested in becoming a PA. I am currently in the nursing program and I was wondering your opinion of me getting my LPN vs. RN? Would the extra year of nursing be beneficial for me in PA school? I am thinking of only receiving my LPN and continue working at the hospital and finish my BS in athletic training while finishing my pre reqs. Unfortunately O-chem. Any input from anyone would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Treonda in Conyers, Georgia

78 months ago

Sophia in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am a PA working in Aesthetic Derm. I am a new grad and started off with 82K....i do work 6 days/week only 6 hrs/day though....its a great schedule....i wasnt willing to accept less than that...i also came across many offers 65-70K.....but if you wait it out, you will find something, dont let our profession down! We all know that we worked extremely hard to get to where we are, not mentioning all those crazy loans! Good luck everyone!

Anne I just stumbled across this forum while researching PA careers and I think its great! There's so much info available here. I am extremely interested in applying to PA school with an emphasis in dermatology. I have a B.S. in biology and I currently work at one of Atlanta's largest volume Dermatopathology laboratories as an assistant. Do you think this will be accepted as experience? I do also plan to shadow a MD/PA. Also do you know if age plays a part in admissions? I am 27, not old but probably a late start and if accepted I will be 28 by the time studies begin. I didn't have perfect grades so will grades or GRE scores weigh more than the other or equally? I have LOTS of questions!

Sophia in Atlanta I think its great that u didnt settle for your salary! U go! :) Do you think it will be possible for us to communicate on a regular basis during my application process since we're located so close to each other? I figure since you're a recent graduate you have some excellent tips and advice. Anne, Sophia and any others (especially those in the metro atlanta area) with helpful advice and info I can be reached at treoncart@gmail.com Or if it's more comfortable we can communicate on here. Thanks in advance

Razia in Albany, New York

78 months ago

Sophia from Atlanta, GA,
Im currently working at the VA Hospital Dermatology Clinic in Albany, NY but am planning on relocating to Atlanta, GA soon. Im looking for employment opportunites in dermatology in/around Atlanta. If you know of any availabilities, I would appreciate the information. My email is razianaina@gmail.com. thank you.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.