Too old to do this

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 87)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

jodanna in Sanford, North Carolina

88 months ago

I'm 42 and have a BA in Business - haven't worked in almost 15 years - yes I know. Military wife and so on. Trying to find a new path and I understand this is a growing field. But my age is a huge concern as I would need to start over. I would sincerely appreciate frank answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Seattle, Washington

86 months ago

I started working in healthcare at the age of 40. Now, at 44, I'm completing my B.S. and I will apply to P.A. school within a year. You do need to be fit enough to work on your feet much of the day in any healthcare field, but youth is not necessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roberta in Rochester, Minnesota

86 months ago

I am 48 and have an interview for PA school tomorrow. I don't think I am too old at all :)

I did apply in 1999 after finishing all the necessary prerequisites. At that time I did not have the "hands-on" experience that the programs were looking for. I decided to attend nursing school instead and am very happy that I gained all the knowledge and experience that I have as an RN.

I would suggest shadowing PAs and getting a job in the healthcare field to gain the experience that most programs look for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wiatcpa in New Berlin, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Don't worry about your age. I had two classmates in PA school who celebrated their 50th birthday during the program. It's all about what you want to do with your life, and being a PA is a GREAT THING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael S. Kays in Santa Cruz, California

85 months ago

Benji, my advice would be to start volunteering in your local ER immediately, especially if there are PAs working there. Either way, it will be a good way to start observing the medical field, as well as start knocking out some health care hours, which will be required should you decide to apply to a PA program.

Each PA program has different health care hour requirements, so it's a good idea to start researching each school now, in order that you be prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Benji in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

Hey Michael,
I really appreciate the feedback. Is ER the only way to gain exposure to the medical field? I just have so many questions about the PA career. There are two options I can take right now.

Option 1:
enroll into the medical assistant program then work to gain health care experience (1-1.5 years), attend a jc and knockout pre-req. (2 years), then apply to PA school. Total time before PA school= 3-3.5 years and I'll turn 30-31 yrs old.

Option 2: volunteer in ER for 6 months, attend a jc and knockout pre-req.(2 years), enroll into a medical assistant program then work to gain health care exp.(1-1.5 years), then apply to PA school. Total time before PA school= 3.5-4 years and I'll turn 31-32 yrs old.

I'm just afraid i'll be too old when time to apply, i read that the average age of students are 26.

Also, how do i choose among a certicate or a master program? I also read that they may look into eliminating the PA-C and make it a PA-M, as they did with PT which now requires a doctor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

I was accepted when I was 40. A classmate was 53. I think that pa programs like the maturity of older students. Please don't let age stop you! It's a great career!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bucks99 in Columbus, Ohio

84 months ago

I think it is awesome you are going back to school. I am looking into but scared about it, but after reading this page anything is possible

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Benji in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

Debbie, you inspired me. I'm taking College Algebra and I will get an A. Awesome teacher. I have two years of pre reqs then I will be applying to PA school in Dallas or Forth WOrth. Don't let age stop you because your age won't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alison Rothenberg in Calabasas, California

84 months ago

<Edited by Host: Job opportunity removed>

Thank you all for using the indeed forums. In accordance with our policies, any advertising, contact info or employment offers posted on these forums will be removed. If you would like to contact each other please set up a profile and put your contact info there www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John D. in San Diego, California

82 months ago

Bari, I'm 40 and on a wait list for an RN program at a community college here in San Diego. I looked into PA school hard. Depending on the school, many of the entry requirements for RN are the same for PA: Anatomy, physiology, micro, basic chemistry and of course general education. When I say PA I'm talking about a 2 year certificate program, and not a BS or Master program. I know you're not in California but try typing in Riverside Community College PA program, or Stanford University PA program in Google to see basic requirements. This will give you a general idea. By the way, all PA programs I know of require that you have pt care experience and being a MA fits that requirement. Being a PA means having LOTS of responsibility. Bye, John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

benji in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

Check out this website. It's a great resource for many aspiring PA. www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/index.php

John D. in San Diego, California

82 months ago

No problem. By helping others get ahead in life I actually again motivation to push myself forward. It's a win-win deal!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bari Kreiter in Deerfield, Illinois

82 months ago

John, you are so right.......I wish you the best and I will keep you informed. If there is any other info that may come your way please feel free to contact me.
Thanks Bari

Sue Nichter in Buffalo, New York

79 months ago

I was a nurse who went back to PA school at 37 and graduated with a BS at 41. I'm now turning 49 and other than wishing the student loans would go away, have not regreted becoming a PA. It's a tough program but non-traditional students are more focused and overall better students. There were only 4 traditional students that came right out of high school in my program and there really was a difference in their attitude toward school. If you really want to be a PA, go for it, you won't regret it. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bari kreiter in Deerfield, Illinois

79 months ago

Thank you for your time and effort in responding to me........Bari

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maxrelis in Miami, Florida

79 months ago

I want to become a PA that is my dream but I am concern because I am a mother of three children and as a mother I have to be there for my kids.Will be PA a good career for a busy mom? thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maxrelis in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

thanks!!!!!! a lot your comment helped me so much.I hope that I have to make my decision now .I would like hear from you soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tara in Toms River, New Jersey

78 months ago

Sue Nichter in Buffalo, New York said: I was a nurse who went back to PA school at 37 and graduated with a BS at 41. I'm now turning 49 and other than wishing the student loans would go away, have not regreted becoming a PA. It's a tough program but non-traditional students are more focused and overall better students. There were only 4 traditional students that came right out of high school in my program and there really was a difference in their attitude toward school. If you really want to be a PA, go for it, you won't regret it. Good luck.

I'm not a PA, however, am a professional social worker working with a client that is 51 struggling with symptoms of menopause, more specifically her struggle with interrupted sleep due to severe night-sweats. She reports she successfully falls asleep, yet,she awakes every 70 minutes around the clock and states that the quality of her life has diminished and has now become unbearable. I have linked her to a caring Registered Dietitian willing to work with her on a sliding scale, & to advise on dietary matters relating to health, menopause issues for 1 visit only, the RD instructed her to stop caffeine, hot and spicy foods, increase fruit and veggies, that’s about it. Also, I have linked up with a local community health club has extended her 3 months use of their facility, which should help her condition. Today, she reports sleep deviation. She wants to know what more she can do to reduce / stop night sweats? I am feeling not as helpful as I ought to be here. I have explained that I am not an expert on such matters, & directed her to seek out her Primary Care Physician & discuss her concerns. Her dr., he suggested Hormone therapy. She fears HT being associated with an increased risk of heart attacks, blood clots and strokes and will never consider HT. She is using Black Cohosh, no improvements. Can you suggest further? Ideas? I'm 26 yr.old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Bari Kreiter in Deerfield, Illinois said: I am also a 53 year old woman who has been in the health and fitness field for 30 years and just received my Certification as a Medical Assistant. I would love to go back and become a PA but not knowing where to start and if life experience counts. I can not afford to be out of work too long and I also do not know where to apply. Is there anyone out there that could give me a jump start.
That would be appreciated greatly.

Thank you for your time. I'm not a PA, however, am a professional social worker working with a client, she is 51 struggling with symptoms of menopause, more specifically her struggle with interrupted sleep due to severe night-sweats. She reports successfully falls asleep, yet,she awakes every 70 minutes around the clock and states that the quality of her life has diminished and has now become unbearable. I have linked her to a caring Registered Dietitian willing to work with her on a sliding scale, & to advise on dietary matters relating to health, menopause issues 1 visit only, the RD instructed her to stop caffeine, hot and spicy foods, increase fruit and veggies, that about it. I have linked up with a local community health club has extended her 3 months use of their facility.541 Today, she reports sleep deviation. She wants to know what more she can do to reduce / stop night sweats? I am feeling not as helpful as I ought to be here. I have explained that I am not an expert on such matters, & directed her to seek out her Primary Care Physician & discuss her concerns. Her dr., he suggested Hormone therapy. She fears HT being associated with an increased risk of heart attacks, blood clots and strokes and will never consider HT. She is using Black Cohosh, no improvements. Can you suggest further? Ideas? I'm 26 yr.old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angela Harrington in Brooklyn, New York

78 months ago

It's not that YOU'RE too old, it's that THEY think you are. It's tough getting hired in a new field when you're over 40....you want too much money (can a 40 year old be expected to work for less than $30,000? I don't think so, and that's why it's tough to get hired). I'm in that same boat. I'm going back to school at 43...I've done loads of freelance (meaning "no money") writing jobs and I'm getting a degree in Communications and Media. But, all the jobs want specific experience OR they want you work at entry-level salary.....Even if I apply, they won't hire me cuz I'm NOT entry level (I've got more than 15 yrs of overall experience). I end up taking temp jobs...because as a temp, anyone will hire you for rock bottom prices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sue Nichter, RPA-C

78 months ago

Tara, the symptoms of menopause can be awful. She should talk to a GYN who will take the time to explain the benefit-risk ratio of estrogen therapy with her. Short term use is a safe option in the right patient. Have her talk to her GYN rather than a primary.

GreenBlue in Danvers

78 months ago

tara in Toms River, New Jersey said: I'm not a PA, however, am a professional social worker working with a client that is 51 struggling with symptoms of menopause,

Hi, Perhaps homeopathic or alternative medical approach could assist her. MPause /sweats that I had were helped by avoiding red meat, Cola's/Soda's, artifical sweetnrs & Caffine. Change of diet was extreamly helpful (fresh vegies/fruits,chicken/fish -check for additives/horms) reduce carbo's & junk food. (the persvts/artifcial) Walking outside/minor noninvasive activity. Watching stress triggers. Meditation practice. All helped me. My night sweats were greatly reduced. If a hot flash was in the day I had a organic spray of distiled sage extract that gave some aid.

78 months ago

Sue Nichter, RPA-C said: Tara, the symptoms of menopause can be awful. She should talk to a GYN who will take the time to explain the benefit-risk ratio of estrogen therapy with her. Short term use is a safe option in the right patient. Have her talk to her GYN rather than a primary.

Alright! So kind of you to share!! I will pass information to my client.

78 months ago

GreenBlue in Danvers said:

I will share your suggestions with my client. Very kind of you, & thank you so much for your input! Meditation, & sage extract is new information, thanks. Also, my client told me she went to her local supermarket & purchased Sage from the produce dept. to make her home made tea. She has been drinking sage tea. Wondering, would it be correct to use the Sage from a produce dept.? Or she should purchase sage from some type of specialty show, for example, a Vit. Shop Specialty. Can you share?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jimbola in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey

75 months ago

I am 48 and have a BA in Psychology. I have worked in business management all my life. I am now thinking about going back to school to become a PA. Am i too old. From my research, i think i would have to take some undergraduate classes in science and math before i could start a PA program. That makes me think i would not start a PA program until i was in my early 50s. I have never worked in the health field but live very close to my sister and watched her get her RN degree and helped her study for her classes quizzing her, proof reading her work, etc. Once my sister did become and RN and got jobs i was exposed to the health field by becoming friends with her co workers both nurses and doctors and being exposed to her places of employment both private practices and hospital. While i do know that this exposure is only one aspect of the field, it has given me an interest in it and i believe i would be very successful in it. And i have always had and interest int the medical field but i guess poor planning lead me to another career. My one and only concern is my age. While i know that whether or not i enter this field i will still age, i am concerned about enterring a new carreer so late in life- more conserded with other letting me enter it and offering me a job rather then my ability to learn the material and be successful. Any advice would be appreciated

PA student in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

Jimbola in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey said: I am 48 and have a BA in Psychology. I have worked in business management all my life. I am now thinking about going back to school to become a PA. Am i too old. From my research, i think i would have to take some undergraduate classes in science and math before i could start a PA program. That makes me think i would not start a PA program until i was in my early 50s. I have never worked in the health field but live very close to my sister and watched her get her RN degree and helped her study for her classes quizzing her, proof reading her work, etc. Once my sister did become and RN and got jobs i was exposed to the health field by becoming friends with her co workers both nurses and doctors and being exposed to her places of employment both private practices and hospital. While i do know that this exposure is only one aspect of the field, it has given me an interest in it and i believe i would be very successful in it. And i have always had and interest int the medical field but i guess poor planning lead me to another career. My one and only concern is my age. While i know that whether or not i enter this field i will still age, i am concerned about enterring a new carreer so late in life- more conserded with other letting me enter it and offering me a job rather then my ability to learn the material and be successful. Any advice would be appreciated

Just do it and stop worrying about your age.
Prove that you can make it into a PA school.
Go to a community college, take the science classes, and if you do well, then apply. You might not even make it that far, but you'll know if you can handle it.
If you make it to an interveiw, you better have more mdical experience to talk about other than your sisters a nurse.
Go handle your business... because I have old people in my class right now; and they shinning

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cherie in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin

74 months ago

I have been planning on an MSW for 3 years but just changed my mind in the last 2 months. Going for the PA. I've been a medical transcriptionist for 7 years and absolutely love medicine. I type ER notes and on each and every note I am always trying to guess what the diagnosis is at the end and trying to predict what lab tests and diagnostics they'll ask for - and then seeing if I am correct or not. That is a lot of fun. I so enjoy this field that I'm chucking my MSW (master's social work) plan and going head-long into the pre-req's for the PA. I have never had a chemistry class in my life. But, I know I can do it. I think it is the motivation to help people along with the intense curiosity of solving puzzles (symptoms to diagnosis) that has convinced me this is the field. I'll be 44 in a week. Like the olympian swimmer who is 44 - she says age is just a number! However, I do think we need to keep in good physical shape as well in order to do this very demanding job. Good luck to all!

Debbie in Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

I say go for it at any age. I am 48 I have my BS in Social Psch. I have not worked in many years due to severe back problems. I plan to go for my RN. I will need surgery first. I think having goals will help me to pull it all togther. I just started my first biology course since its been 5 yrs will 20 yrs since I took it. They require less than 5. Then I need chemisty and micro biology. I will then be able to put in for the actual nursing program. If I do well who knows I may change my mind and go the PA route. The thing is start stop procrastinating. Good Luck to all.

max in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

thanks !!!
Im a RN and i would like to be a PA
Does anybody know what I have to do next in order to be accepted in the program?

paamick in Lincoln, Nebraska

71 months ago

tara in Toms River, New Jersey said: I'm not a PA, however, am a professional social worker working with a client that is 51 struggling with symptoms of menopause, more specifically her struggle with interrupted sleep due to severe night-sweats. She reports she successfully falls asleep, yet,she awakes every 70 minutes around the clock and states that the quality of her life has diminished and has now become unbearable. I have linked her to a caring Registered Dietitian willing to work with her on a sliding scale, & to advise on dietary matters relating to health, menopause issues for 1 visit only, the RD instructed her to stop caffeine, hot and spicy foods, increase fruit and veggies, that’s about it. Also, I have linked up with a local community health club has extended her 3 months use of their facility, which should help her condition. Today, she reports sleep deviation. She wants to know what more she can do to reduce / stop night sweats? I am feeling not as helpful as I ought to be here. I have explained that I am not an expert on such matters, & directed her to seek out her Primary Care Physician & discuss her concerns. Her dr., he suggested Hormone therapy. She fears HT being associated with an increased risk of heart attacks, blood clots and strokes and will never consider HT. She is using Black Cohosh, no improvements. Can you suggest further? Ideas? I'm 26 yr.old.

Effexor!! Great for night sweats and mood stability!!

71 months ago

Angela Harrington in Brooklyn, New York said: It's not that YOU'RE too old, it's that THEY think you are. It's tough getting hired in a new field when you're over 40....you want too much money (can a 40 year old be expected to work for less than $30,000? I don't think so, and that's why it's tough to get hired). I'm in that same boat. I'm going back to school at 43...I've done loads of freelance (meaning "no money") writing jobs and I'm getting a degree in Communications and Media. But, all the jobs want specific experience OR they want you work at entry-level salary.....Even if I apply, they won't hire me cuz I'm NOT entry level (I've got more than 15 yrs of overall experience). I end up taking temp jobs...because as a temp, anyone will hire you for rock bottom prices.

Ugh, that is why being a PA is perfect. None of my classmates are making less than 75K at 3 years post graduation. Most are making 90K

71 months ago

Ok everyone...I have yet to see anyone too "Old" for PA school. Life experience counts for so much when applying. I had a gal in my class who had been a rad tech her whole life. She started PA school at 54. She was the top of our class!! It was nice for her because her kids were grown and she had a husband to help with the finances. Please do not let age stop you. Being a PA is the thing I am most proud of. Every day I look forward to going to work. (Ok, almost every day ;-)

As far as single mothers go...we had 3 single mothers in my class. One didn't have a very good support system and she was not as dedicated to the program as the others so she did struggle but finally made it through. If you have a good support system go for it!! Think of how much better you will be able to provide for your children in the end!!

Money-It is expensive to go to PA school. Most programs do not allow you to work while in the program. However, this is what student loans, grants, scholarships, family donations are for. I had to get a loan not only for school but to live on. I am paying for it now but, one day of work pays my loan payment each day. Not a lot of jobs out there that can do that!! I was dirt poor when I started my program and now I am very blessed with my home and toys. Only because I worked hard and love my profession!!
GO FOR IT!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

scott in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

Benji in Houston, Texas said: Hey Michael,
I really appreciate the feedback. Is ER the only way to gain exposure to the medical field? I just have so many questions about the PA career. There are two options I can take right now.

Option 1: enroll into the medical assistant program then work to gain health care experience (1-1.5 years), attend a jc and knockout pre-req. (2 years), then apply to PA school. Total time before PA school= 3-3.5 years and I'll turn 30-31 yrs oldOption 2: volunteer in ER for 6 months, attend a jc and knockout pre-req.(2 years), enroll into a medical assistant program then work to gain health care exp.(1-1.5 years), then apply to PA school. Total time before PA school= 3.5-4 years and I'll turn 31-32 yrs old.
I'm just afraid i'll be too old when time to apply, i read that the average age of students are 26.Also, how do i choose among a certicate or a master program? I also read that they may look into eliminating the PA-C and make it a PA-M, as they did with PT which now requires a doctor.

Benji, age shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether you should go for a P.A school or not. I am currently a P.A Student in UNT located in dallas forthworth, and I am very pleased to make such a wise decision. I majored in biology at UT dallas campus in richardson. My piece of advise to you is to please erase the idea of being afraid you would be too old when applying to a P.A program. I am currently 35yrs and I just started the program this fall. I was accepted into the program without prior healthcare experiece. A good GPA is what you need to get there. The average GPA of entry class for fall 2008 was 3.4, however, much of the students who are admitted hold bachelors in either biology or some kind of science field. We have some few RN's in the class as well; I think probably nine or so. I would say 65 percent of the class are in their early to mid thirties, 15% in their late twenties to early thirties, 20% late thirties- 40's

Vally Lou in Ocala, Florida

70 months ago

Age should not be a factor if you feel you can withstand the rigors of several years of tough schoolwork and study.
try reading through some threads on the site www.physicianassistantforum.com for an in-depth answer to many questions.

Casey curtiss

69 months ago

I am 41 one years old,stil trying to decide what to do with my life.I am married and have a three year old daughter,who means everything to me.I have attempted some college earlier in life and cant say I was extemeley successful.I want to become a PA to fullfill past dreams of becoming a doctor.I basically have to strart over at a later age and hope to get fin. aid.Does anyone believe age is a factor in this profession? sincerely, Casey Curtiss,BillingsMT.

Shari in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin

69 months ago

From everything I have read and heard, age is not a factor. Admissions are not supposed to discriminate based on age (but you never know, right?) I'm 44 and doing the pre-req work now and plan to apply next fall, when I am 45. One thing I have heard repeatedly is that schools do like to see a level of maturity of thinking - which obviously only comes through time and life experiences. As long as your grade-point average is good and you understand the schooling is not going to be a cake walk - go for it!

Vally Lou in Ocala, Florida

69 months ago

Casey curtiss said: I am 41 one years old,stil trying to decide what to do with my life.I am married and have a three year old daughter,who means everything to me.I have attempted some college earlier in life and cant say I was extemeley successful.I want to become a PA to fullfill past dreams of becoming a doctor.I basically have to strart over at a later age and hope to get fin. aid.Does anyone believe age is a factor in this profession? sincerely, Casey Curtiss,BillingsMT.

PA school should not be a fill in to "fullfill past dreams of becoming a doctor." You will find that you are not satisfied and will want to go back and go to med school. If your thinking like this, go to med school regardless of your age.

Rosario

69 months ago

yes is true no matter what age you are is never late to start a new career. be strong and be about it.dont let nothing stop you from guetting your dreams come true.always will start from something my best advise is to go back to college and take medical assistant degree and then aply for the 2 year program of PA.and remember never is to late to learn even every day we learn something.GoD Bless this forum from tryin to help this lady and the need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Dallas, Texas

69 months ago

There are many criterio that are taken into consideration when the admission committe is evaluating each applicant's profile. Neither age nor Grade point average is a precise determinant of success in this rigorous program. Having said that age isn't a precise factor,however, a mature student stand a better chance of getting admission than the opposite. How well an individual respond to the interview questions play a vital role in the decision making. Once you are granted for an interview; it clarifies that you are one of the suitable students for the program. so, it is up to the applicant to justify his/her conclusion during the interview process. There are ppl with 4.0gpa and still don't squeeze through the interview process. On the contrary, I have seen ppl with 3.2gpa and still make it through the process. Guess what? those who make it through with 3.2gpa are mostly mature students; primarily in their late to early forties.
Healthcare experience as well as volunteering are equally important. It is very advantageous to gain some volunteering hours if you think healthcare experience will put your application at the bottom of the totem pole. Broaden your chances, and don't overlook at any of the requirements that may put your application in jeorpady.
P.A programs are very competitive, as we all know. It requires students who are filled with passion, perseverance and courage to execute it. Just be relentless in your effort, and in no time you will be done with it.
SHARI IN MOUNT, ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE BUT I STILL MADE IT THROUGH THE INTERVIEW PROCESS. IT IS ONE OF THOSE SURPRISES COMPASSING P.A ADMISSION PROCESS. LOL HAHAHAHA

casey curtiss in billings, Montana

69 months ago

Shari in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin said: From everything I have read and heard, age is not a factor. Admissions are not supposed to discriminate based on age (but you never know, right?) I'm 44 and doing the pre-req work now and plan to apply next fall, when I am 45. One thing I have heard repeatedly is that schools do like to see a level of maturity of thinking - which obviously only comes through time and life experiences. As long as your grade-point average is good and you understand the schooling is not going to be a cake walk - go for it!

Thank you for your posiative comments.It really helps boost the moral,but knowing the whole collegiate process,I have much work to do and hope to get into UND.I tried an online program in a different field and found no success.

69 months ago

Shari in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin said: A compass is a device which tells you the direction. I think you meant "encompassing" - that's ok. English isn't your first language. Good luck writing prescriptions.

I believe you responded to wrong person,english is my only spoken language.

Ann in Dallas, Texas

69 months ago

yeah, I meant encompassing. I didn't proof read before submitting. I later found it after I had already submitted it. English isn't my primary language, but no mistake; as humans we are destined to make mistakes in life. For someone to type positive in this horrible fashion " posiative" and english being her first language? huh be my guest. English isn't my first language, but I can surely do much better than most ppl with english being their primary language. I am an European and spanish is my first language, but I do surpass most ppl with english being their first language in writing. I am not vehemently typing this to anyone on this board. We should all just chill and embrace the upcoming year with peace and harmony.UT SOUTHWESTERN SCHOOL OF HEALTH AND SCIENCE. CLASS OF 2010.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I will embrace your comments about not being perfect and be a better person for it.I have no idea who you are,but do not tell me how bad my english is.I am an American citizen and proud of it,regardless of a misspelled word,to whom you felt confident to bring up to demean my character. class of 2010,good luck to you and may you prosper in life.

Apres Ski in Augsburg, Germany

69 months ago

Wow. How did this convesation make a turn for the worse? I know . . . someone decided to insult people for making spelling and grammatical errors on a forum. How mature. Maybe it's the age difference ;-)

To the above people that were insulted: do your best, don't worry about what other people say, and join physicianassistanforum.com

You know, I have made a few spelling errors, but I am starting PA school in June after I graduate in May with my first Masters degree. Bottom line, you are just insulting people to make yourself feel better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

YOU ARE RIGHT.I FEEL BETTER NOW.YOU HAVE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT MY AGE AND MADE ME RECONSIDER WHAT MY OPTIONS ARE AT FOURTY-ONE.YOU MIGHT BE YOUNGER,BUT I HAVE LEARNED MORE LIFES TRIALS,THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION.

Apres Ski in Augsburg, Germany

69 months ago

Casey, my comment wasn't directed toward you. Actually, I was trying to stand up for you and Ann. Sorry for the confusion. Good luck with all of your future endeavors. 41 is still young enough to pursue your dreams!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Colorado in Overland Park, Kansas

69 months ago

I agree with Apres ski..serioiusly..can Shari be more wrong??? I mean, really....who would ask another memebr if English is their first language, etc??? As ApresSki said....good luck Casey..follow your dreams!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Dey in Sigourney, Iowa

64 months ago

I had been a physician in India before I migrated to the US in 1996. Due to financial and family reasons I could not take the USMLE board examinations for many years. To survive, I became a high school science teacher. I received the Permanent resident status last year which made me think of getting back to medicine.Actually I am not happy teaching high school. I passed the USMLE I & II exams but the marks were not good enough to get into a residency program of my choice. Also I am now 51 yrs old. It seems that becoming a PA will be a good choice for me.I am wondering if my board exams will be good enough to get me credits or if I need to go through the whole 2 yrs course work once more. Also, I am now 51 yrs old and wondering if I will be employable? Thanks for your attention and kind advice if any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Fontana, California

64 months ago

SHARI - Your rudeness towards Rosario is completely unnecessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.