science prerequisites in community college

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

helpplease in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

hey guys
i am just wondering if taking science prerequisites in community college will have negative effect on the application. and has anyone got into any PA school with their science community college credits?

btw, this thing is driving me crazy right now
i do admit that some science class is easier in community college, but i dont want to retake my basic classes unless i really have to.

btw, classes i took in community college are
chem 2,
biol 1 and 2,
a&p 1 and 2,

and i will take micro, orgo, n everything else in a 4 year institution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sara1234 in Maine

51 months ago

I took micro and some other science classes at community college. It was not a problem at all & I was accepted into PA school. Every school is different, of course, so you might want to call them to be sure. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

hey thanks so much for your reply!
may i ask your major & work experience.
cause im a bio major
however it seems like everyone is like a nursing major or paramedic.

i feel really disadvantaged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sara1234 in Maine

51 months ago

My major was General Studies. As generic as you can get, haha. I originally wanted to get a biology major but quickly realized that my GPA would have suffered with all of those unnecessary upper level bio classes.

My work experience consisted of a summer job filing papers at a hospital, some shadowing of doctors, and some military experience in a medical unit. I had lots of other jobs that were not medically-oriented.

You should not feel disadvantaged at all! Quite the opposite - you have a lot of your toughest classes out of the way. Now you just need to focus on getting your GPA as high as possible. If you need to take some easier classes to do that, you should definitely consider that as an option.

Let me know if you have any other questions:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

hey sara thank you so much!
well i major is biology.
ahah. cause i see that some school require genetics and mircobiology and immunology. so i thought ok why dont i just major in bio and get a degree in bio.
though i am scared of the higher level classes i am going to take.
so tough classes like orgo 2 n genetics are yet to come.
:(

so it seems like you are a traditional student?
is there a gap between bachelor's n master PA program?

thanks for your advice on GPA. i will work my butt off next semester.

and btw, your work experience sounds really good.
however do you have any experience on how to find PAs to shadow?
last week i called like 20 PAs in a roll in Texas medical center, i even send letters through e-mail,yet nobody returned my phone calls.
i feel so frustrated, i dont know what to do on this one.
some front desk lady said that if the PA doesnt know me, s/he wont call me back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sara1234 in Maine

51 months ago

I'm not sure what you mean by "is there a gap between bachelor's & master PA program?".

There is no doubt, it can be tough to find someone that will let you shadow them. I started asking all of my friends and family if they were close with someone in the medical field and that is how I connected with a doctor (he was friends with my father & didn't mind doing him the favor). Once you get your foot in the door, you will have the opportunity to meet many more medical professionals that, after meeting you, will probably let you shadow them. Think about looking for someone in your church, sorority, after school club, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

hey thanks so much for your prompt reply!
yes i do mean that "is there a gap between ur bachelor's n you master's PA" program. cause i thought many people may took some time off and get some health-related experience before they go apply.

and yea i already started volunteer in a large hospital in Houston medical center. and i shadowed a physical therapist. however thats the only place i know. and i really dont have family members here (international student)

but i guess i need to make another rounds of phone calls.
cause i only called 20 out of the thousands of PAs in Houston.
i shoudnt give up so easily without trying hard.
:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sara1234 in Maine

51 months ago

Many people go straight from their bachelor's to their masters without a "gap." Others choose to take a break from school to get more experience. There is no right or wrong way. It is up to each person to make that choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.