What are typical pipe welder salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1219)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Brad Houltzhouser in Hollister, Missouri

111 months ago

Yes, some companies do have higher pay rates. The pay scale is based on how well you perform in the welding industry. During my career as an industrial welder, I have learned that pipe positions are the highest wages. A welders income depends on his or her-self, if you want to make 150,000 yearly its there I prefere to work eight months out of the year and kick back for the rest. I brought in over 70,000 last year. To become a successful welder learn everything there is to learn in this feild. There is a high demand for T.I.G welders these days if I think this process is the best craft to learn. I dont take jobs paying under 25.00 hourly plus P.D. there is no welding process I cant perform while meeting quality standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (918) / No (228) Reply - Report abuse

Noel_Clark2000@*****.*** in San Mateo, California

106 months ago

I weld for a living,, and have for 33 years.. the last job I had as a pipe welder foreman paid 35 a hour,, a rig welder that welds downhill can easy get 42 an hour with his rig

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (472) / No (143) Reply - Report abuse

Craig Glohs in Gautier, Mississippi

104 months ago

Where are some rig jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (255) / No (171) Reply - Report abuse

Seth in SHREVEPORT, Louisiana

104 months ago

Gotta get your foot in the door somehow though. ive worked for less than 25 an hour, but really, anything less makes me feel like it aint worth it. oh and if you can learn to tig a root bead and hott pass in a tube, and run a 7018 filler and cap worth a crap, then there are a LOT of jobs out there that pay from 30 to 50 dollars an hour , seems the further you go north, the higher the pay goes too...and unlike having a rig, u dont have to supply anything but ur hood and a couple tools here and there. BUT if u can find a company that DOES supply all of your diesle (or gas) , your rods, and oxygen/acetylene then pipelining is good, just remember though that u have to to have your own insurance to get out there. i dont know about any of you other guys, but im simply out there to make money, and to me union seems to be the way to go. ive worked a few union jobs, simply welding plate (im a combo welder though) i made just as much as i did welding pipe on non union jobs... so im about to join the boilermakers union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (387) / No (114) Reply - Report abuse

Seth in SHREVEPORT, Louisiana

104 months ago

oh yeah, not to mention...alot of companies pay shot bonuses for tubes you weld that pass x-ray... $25 per shot as a bonus...so if u get good at tube welding... u could almost double your money if u find a company that does that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (249) / No (81) Reply - Report abuse

seth in Ruston, Louisiana

104 months ago

or maybe u could NOT try a get rich quick scheme like these scumbags always want u to try...and just keep burning rods, lol...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (136) / No (232) Reply - Report abuse

Kio Dadero in Edmonton, Alberta

104 months ago

Beware of companies that pays their pipe welders too much.

Think of the things you have to sacrifice for working in there...

No social life after work.
No hobby, no entertainment, not even a 7/11.
No BEER. And you have to weld outside in the middle of winter where its -30C below, while your wife is sleeping with your bestfriend 1000 miles away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (546) / No (216) Reply - Report abuse

seth in Columbia, Louisiana

104 months ago

haha, thats hilarious... and VERY RANDOM... thats why u go union, and when u need a layoff just tell ur steward, and he'll get u ur papers...and BAM ur on unemployment, and if u work in more than 1 state in the US, u can draw unemploment from any other state that u want... so u can draw from the highest paying... someone told me that mass. is the a very high paying unemployment state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (186) / No (106) Reply - Report abuse

scottie carrell in Albany, New York

103 months ago

i agree with your advice i have been with the company work with for 10 years i have welded just about everything butim having trouble trying to get in with good paying companys any advice. I also have more welders with the same problem

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (128) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

Seth in Shreveport, Louisiana

103 months ago

scottie carrell in Albany, New York said: i agree with your advice i have been with the company work with for 10 years i have welded just about everything butim having trouble trying to get in with good paying companys any advice. I also have more welders with the same problem

what all can you weld? man i havnt welded but bout 3 years... but i had to opportunity to work a union job, i made about 40% more money that ide been payed in non union jobs, doing exactly the same work... and they took way better care of me... im in the process of getting in the boilermakers union... theres no "GOOD OLE BOY system" in a union if u know what i mean...but hey alot of people are against them, alls i know is im out there for one reason, and that is to make some money...and make as much as i can...plus the money they put into your pention and annuity is unreal... have you gone to FLUOR.COM ? U can go to the craft section and get on an email list and everytime they have openings for any kind of craft trade they put up all the information up and send it to ur email...its called the hotsheet...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (158) / No (63) Reply - Report abuse

Louie Morneau in Bloomer, Wisconsin

103 months ago

I have been union all my life .Boilermaker to b exactI like the comment about the best friend doing your wife while u r gone how true there r lots of down falls in these trades money is not one of them not 2 mention pen. annuity heath ins.But the strain on ur home life will b atroustious. u will both end up not knowing each other let alone missing out on a lot of dayto day pleasures.It is a jungle out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (132) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

weldingman,calif. in Lake Isabella, California

103 months ago

Thanksfor the job lead

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (62) Reply - Report abuse

seth in Shreveport, Louisiana

103 months ago

finally got in the boilermakers union myself... passed my common-arc tube test 4 days ago, already gettin payed 28 an hour in texas...yes sir...loving the union, lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

DJ Pruit in Arlington, Texas

103 months ago

Im going to a trade school to learn and certify in combination welding by the end of the class i am suppose to be able to qualify in 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g, and 6g for mig, tig, flux coat and arc any advise on were i should go or what i should do after i get out of school. i am willing to move anywhere and i just want to make as much money as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (222) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

seth in Ruston, Louisiana

103 months ago

man i feel u there, haha... are you young?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Yonkers, New York

103 months ago

I am a local 21 member and can honestly say that being a pipe welder in the union is a very satisfying and well paying job. We take pride in what we do , we are good at it and enjoy the brotherhood. I've made my best friends in the union.

There is strength in numbers fella's so if your not union, join one....if there is not one where you live , Start one!

"An honest days work for an honest days pay" Go union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (117) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

sincherryo sain in Jackson, Tennessee

102 months ago

I went to a community college for two years until I find out that nusring is not for me. This may 2008 i'm going to school for welding and thats what i want to do because I like working in a factory. I just want to know what is the highest paying welder

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Seth in Bossier City, Louisiana

102 months ago

HELIARC my friend... or pipeline stick welders.... if u were to look up welder jobs, ude see that theres a high demand for TUBE WELDERS...AND COMBINATION WELDERS (just means u can stick weld AND heliarc weld carbon and stainless steel metals...and sometimes also exotic metals...ON PIPE) tube welding most of the time involves a heliarc (tig, gas tungsten arc welding process) root bead, and then 7018 stick rod the rest of the way out.....as far as pipelines are concerned...the best way to get out there is to go hire on as a welders helper and get u some time welding out coupons on the side when u get time...and most times the welder ur helping will be more than willing to show u how it works... then u get u a rig truck and when ur good enough u test and get on with that company or union... im personally a tube welder now for the international brotherhood of boilermakers... which u can also apprentice in... i didnt start as an apprentice because ide already learned to weld tubes and had some experience in the field...but if ur looking to get paid while u get taught then an apprenticship is the way to go... u make usually 65% of scale...scale being whatever the pay is for that particular job... its a great way to earn a living while u learn the trade and there are alot of things u learn through apprenticeship that u wont learn at ur welding school...i found that out the hard way... tube welders make a killing though and dont have to have a rig truck and all like pipeline welders do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (118) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

r51d in Highlands, Texas

102 months ago

New to this job talk on computer, but had to comment with some answers for the younger guys wanting to "expand their horizons". Right now if a welder wants to travel, they can pretty much pick their wages and locations. In Wyoming, rig welders running drilling rigs are making $60.00 to 75,00,per hr, and up.Some of the smaller jobs with tig are at $77.00 to $110.00 per hr., but you won't find them on the internet, you have to be there, and get out and dig for em. What I never see mentioned on these sites, is the wage/cost of living ratio. What may seem like great wages to someone in an area with low wages, and low cost of living, may not make them enough to get a motel and eat, much less send money home, in the area they are traveling to. I see ads every day for rig welders in Wyoming at $46.00 to $49.00 per hr. Any decent job in Louisiana where it is comparatively warm, is paying $50.00 plus perdiem, and make no mistake fellas' it is COLD in Wyo. Single hand around Houston Tx. is $26 to $28, sometimes with per diem, and no self respecting pipe hand is going to work for less than $20 even in his back yard. Colorado, Utah, Wyo., Arizona, and New Mexico are all hopping right now. There is a bunch of companies with jobs in and around Meeker Co., but what they fail to tell a prospective employee, is that there is no place for miles, to stay. Meeker is not a large place. There is also a power plant outside of Rock Springs Wyo. that is constantly doing work, but doesn't pay as well as well hookup, pipeline, or especially drilling rigs. I had a $7400.00 invoice on the drilling rigs last year for 1 rig.120 hrs. straight.Young-uns, its there if you want it, but everything has a price...!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (209) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Amber Umphries in Dallas, Texas

102 months ago

r51d in Highlands, Texas said: New to this job talk on computer, but had to comment with some answers for the younger guys wanting to "expand their horizons". Right now if a welder wants to travel, they can pretty much pick their wages and locations. In Wyoming, rig welders running drilling rigs are making $60.00 to 75,00,per hr, and up.Some of the smaller jobs with tig are at $77.00 to $110.00 per hr., but you won't find them on the internet, you have to be there, and get out and dig for em. What I never see mentioned on these sites, is the wage/cost of living ratio. What may seem like great wages to someone in an area with low wages, and low cost of living, may not make them enough to get a motel and eat, much less send money home, in the area they are traveling to. I see ads every day for rig welders in Wyoming at $46.00 to $49.00 per hr. Any decent job in Louisiana where it is comparatively warm, is paying $50.00 plus perdiem, and make no mistake fellas' it is COLD in Wyo. Single hand around Houston Tx. is $26 to $28, sometimes with per diem, and no self respecting pipe hand is going to work for less than $20 even in his back yard. Colorado, Utah, Wyo., Arizona, and New Mexico are all hopping right now. There is a bunch of companies with jobs in and around Meeker Co., but what they fail to tell a prospective employee, is that there is no place for miles, to stay. Meeker is not a large place. There is also a power plant outside of Rock Springs Wyo. that is constantly doing work, but doesn't pay as well as well hookup, pipeline, or especially drilling rigs. I had a $7400.00 invoice on the drilling rigs last year for 1 rig.120 hrs. straight.Young-uns, its there if you want it, but everything has a price...!

You seem to know a lot about the Wy. area. My husband is in Rock Springs Right now and looking for another rig job. He is a rig welder and is making 60/hr. The company he is working for is slowing down. If you know of anything let me kno

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Lindale, Texas

101 months ago

r51d in Highlands, Texas said: It always slows down some in the winter. Most drilling and construction activity outside of Pinedale and the "Mesa" shuts down because of being a wildlife wintering area. There is a drilling co. yard in Riverton where a friend of mine is working now, he can try that or drive over to Vernal Utah and ask around. This time of year, he may want to take the long way around. I've been the shortest way in the fall, and once was enough for me. Which welding svc. is he working for? 60 is about base pay for Rock Springs. Try Luxury, (Small co.) Pine Creek Welding, Pinedale I think.. and look over in Evanston. Saulcon out of Odessa Tex. has or had a job in Vernal, I've been looking, but won't start seriously calling for work till spring. Been there in the winter...

Thanks for the information.He was working for a&w services. We went up last week and road home with him. He went back to work for his brother in law until something comes up that he can work more than 1 day a week up there. It was pretty hard for him to go back down in pay when he came back to Texas. Thanks again Amber

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

alcides rosales

101 months ago

Im pipe combo welder tig & stick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

r. powell in Wittmann, Arizona

101 months ago

I work for a natural gas company in Arizona. The pay is really good I made 105k last year with a little over 600 hours of overtime. I will easily break 110k this year with my recent raise. I am a foreman, I preform high pressure taps and stops. I am certified in cellouse and low-hydrogen welding. I have really good job security, but I would REALLY like to relocate to east Texas. I also am home almost every night! and if not I'll be home the next morning. So I am debating what to do.

Does this sound like a crazy thing to do? Does anyone know what the pay would be like in that area? Will I have to purchase a rig, and what kind of travling should I expect? Is there any companies in that area I should look into?
Thanks for the advise!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

victor schwarrenberg in Tampa, Florida

101 months ago

r. powell in Wittmann, Arizona said: I work for a natural gas company in Arizona. The pay is really good I made 105k last year with a little over 600 hours of overtime. I will easily break 110k this year with my recent raise. I am a foreman, I preform high pressure taps and stops. I am certified in cellouse and low-hydrogen welding. I have really good job security, but I would REALLY like to relocate to east Texas. I also am home almost every night! and if not I'll be home the next morning. So I am debating what to do.

Does this sound like a crazy thing to do? Does anyone know what the pay would be like in that area? Will I have to purchase a rig, and what kind of travling should I expect? Is there any companies in that area I should look into?
Thanks for the advise!!!!

Iam pipe welder,cellouse and low hydrogen welding,look for work in texas,body,whats is you company name,or phone number,tank you¡¡

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Lindale, Texas

100 months ago

Jeremy went up there Feb. 20th. I got Jimmy's number from a guy I new that worked for nabors in wy. He said they used a welding company and the owners name was Jimmy. So I gave the number to my husband and he called. Jimmy told him to head that way because they didn't have anyone that new very much about rigs. When Jeremy got there he worked 2 days then all of a sudden Jimmy calls and says he is going back to Texas, see you later. They had no clue who Wayne was. Wayne didn't call Jeremy one time so the next week he left and came home. Wayne called him a week later and asked him to come back and work in Utah because nobody else wanted to stay down there. he went back the next day and when he got there he couldn't get a hold of him so he called Scott. The past three weeks he has been the one that has gotten Jeremy work. So he has decided to come home and try to get on with Patterson. Sorry for the long story. It hasn't been a very good experience. amber

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

bucksweldingservice in Houston, Texas

100 months ago

i spent an hour typin on this thing and it wont let me say what i want to say ... so heres my phone number if u and ur husband would like to talk more about them over there.817-894-6333 thanks buck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Casper, Wyoming

100 months ago

I am working up in Gillette Wy "Pays not that good " about two hours away from Casper if anyone knows or heard of any Rig work in Wy that would thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Casper, Wyoming

100 months ago

I am working up in Gillette Wy "Pays not that good " about two hours away from Casper if anyone knows or heard of any Rig work in Wy that would help thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

bucksweldingservice in Houston, Texas

100 months ago

tom...all i have to say is not to work for a@w services

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Casper, Wyoming

100 months ago

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Casper, Wyoming

100 months ago

Thanks Amber

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Baldwin, Wisconsin

100 months ago

Reading these posts and am interested in expanding my knowledge. I am currently working in the structural field and Fitter / Welder. I work for a custom shop and we build large water reclamation tanks, air and water purification tanks. If you know who TONKA is...that is some of what we build. I am very familiar with Mig, Tig, and currently using Accupulse in working with light gauge SS.

Everything I have worked with structuraly is in massive scale so much as shipping is required in sections for transport. I would like to get on with pipefitters union or boilermakers union. I have approx. 3 years structural and 2 years SS experience.

I am not able to afford a rig at this point but maybe in the future. I am willing to relocate if needed but need exceptional salary to do so. I have heard about the jobs in WY but will go where the money is. I have an eagerness to learn as much as possible to be best welder I can be (sorry was in the Army).

Anyone that can help or guide me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

seth in Sterrett, Alabama

100 months ago

yes sirr!!! union proud!!! ima boilermaker tube welder myself...but i think im fixing to get me a rig and see how i do pipelining...cuz im gettin tired of crawling in them holes...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

R. Miller in Argyle, Texas

100 months ago

It's hard to just jump in with both feet, but we'd be glad to have you brother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

seth in Anniston, Alabama

100 months ago

haha, yeah i know... i want a rig anyways, and i was a pipewelder b4 i was a tube welder...and ive already checked on a book and all...theres a company around my area in louisiana that only hires union hands, im good friends with the owner...he says ide have to be out there a lil while to prove myself...once they see in know what im doing they could get me in. whatd u have to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas

100 months ago

I am a woman welder and have been welding for over 30 years. I just passed by 6g test and I have my own rig. I am looking for a company that will give me a chance to show them what I can do. Have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Amber in Lindale, Texas said: Have you tried the Patterson yard in Tyler. My husband just came back from Wyoming and went out there and got a job. They may not hire you the first day. They say go back about twice a week and you will get on in a couple of weeks. They are getting ready to start a new rig so now would be a good time to go.

Thank you, do they hire welders with their rigs and what are they paying?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Tyler, Texas

100 months ago

Yes they do. My husband has his own rig. They pay 55.00 an hour which is good around here. Amber

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Amber in Tyler, Texas said: Yes they do. My husband has his own rig. They pay 55.00 an hour which is good around here. Amber

Again thank you I will go see them. I will let you know what they say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

seth in Anniston, Alabama said: haha, yeah i know... i want a rig anyways, and i was a pipewelder b4 i was a tube welder...and ive already checked on a book and all...theres a company around my area in louisiana that only hires union hands, im good friends with the owner...he says ide have to be out there a lil while to prove myself...once they see in know what im doing they could get me in. whatd u have to do?

It's really just a matter of experience, pipelining is a process, a "moving assembly line" is what we call it. What they are telling you about proving yourself is just a matter of getting out there and learning the system and being able to "keep up" as it were. You have to understand that EVERYTHING we weld is X-rayed (100%), and if you can prove yourself capable of keeping up and making consistantly good welds, then you've peoven yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in East Texas in Winnsboro, Texas

100 months ago

Amber in Tyler, Texas said: They will never tell you they are hiring over the phone. My husband called on a Friday and they told him the same thing. He went to the yard Monday morningand they said come back on Wednesday. He went last Wednesday and they hired him. He started this past Friday. You need to make a trip to the Yard. Ask to talk to Ramond. Amber

Thank you Amber I will do that and let you know what I find out. I just bought a welding bed and am in the possses of putting on my truck. Should have it on this next week and then I will go. Thank you again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jose Lui Armendariz in Arlington, Texas

100 months ago

Hi I have a rig welder Im looking for Pipeline jobs if samebody has a some ph no companies please call me at (972) 900 8847

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

leigh in Wood Dale, Illinois

100 months ago

victor schwarrenberg in Tampa, Florida said: Iam pipe welder,cellouse and low hydrogen welding,look for work in texas,body,whats is you company name,or phone number,tank you¡¡

Hey , We are looking into moving down by your area . Can you tell me what the scale is down there ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Springfield, Missouri

100 months ago

Hello, my name is Scott, and I am just getting started out in welding, I am able to pass a 6g tig, and 6g stick, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could go to get on as a pipeline helper. Or anything else to help me get started out towards the right direction as a pipeline welder. you can email me at sd0194534@otc.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

leigh in Wood Dale, Illinois said: Hey , We are looking into moving down by your area . Can you tell me what the scale is down there ??

Union scale for pipeline welders in Florida is $42.00 per hour plus $15.00 per hour for your welding rig.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

man on fire welding in Odessa, Texas

99 months ago

why dont youll come to odessa tx single hands make from 20-30 rig welders 45-55 a hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

R. Miller in Denton, Texas

99 months ago

man on fire welding in Odessa, Texas said: why dont youll come to odessa tx single hands make from 20-30 rig welders 45-55 a hour

What else? What is the rig pay, per-diem, benefits(i,e, insurance and retirement)???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

seth in Warrensburg, Missouri

99 months ago

okay? you just finished welding school with broken coupons? maybe u should go back and fix that man...ur saying u want to stay close to home but are interested in going to alaska and working? k? well bro, if ur good at tig welding keep practicing somehow... look up the INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF BOILERMAKERS...they have some locals (home offices,and districts or juristdictions of work) there im sure... call them and tell them what you can do and see about an apprentiship, because at 18...every company u go to union or non union will want u to have some real in the field experience...like 2-5 years most times...but going union apprenticeship will give u the chance to acctually learn soemthing in the field, and you can advance faster depending on how u work and ur knowledge on welding...im a certified commonarc tube welder for the international brotherhood of boilermakers union....im only 21...making top scale with crazy benefits and retirement... im pulling 2400 on the job im on now plus putting alot of money into my pension, annuity, health and welfare, plus vacation....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kim - Automation Personnel in Coppell, Texas

99 months ago

DJ,

If you are looking for work - we are placing a rare entry-level position with a multi-million dollar Custom Fabricator located in the Irving-Coppell area. They manufacture and export large commercial preparations equipment for snack-foods distributors. Please reply if you are interested in more information - KimS@APSTemps.com

DJ Pruit in Arlington, Texas said: Im going to a trade school to learn and certify in combination welding by the end of the class i am suppose to be able to qualify in 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g, and 6g for mig, tig, flux coat and arc any advise on were i should go or what i should do after i get out of school. i am willing to move anywhere and i just want to make as much money as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.