Top pipefitter skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 163)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every pipefitter must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your pipefitter expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Jack

90 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every pipefitter must have to excel?

99% of pipefitting is CONFIDENCE!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Clearlake, California

90 months ago

If you have a welder that likes you your job is half done

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

6gwelder in Deltona, Florida

87 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every pipefitter must have to excel?

Must be good in math(addition,subtraction,fractions,geomotry), have common sense, and always willing to learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Hamilton in Calgary, Alberta

83 months ago

in pipefitting do you get like a calculator to do the math or anything? if not are you able to have one to ensure the mathematics of the job are correct? and for welding i dont have any expirience of it. ive been around it but have never done it. is welding something thats expected you know how do do when you start or what. and how hard is the welding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

highway

83 months ago

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your pipefitter expertise?[/QUO

1.bullgangin - any idiot puttin two pieces of pipe together <generally fast >

2.knowledge - any idiot with a blue book thinkin his knowledge of 1.414 is going to save the world

3.experience - each piping intersection you come too you have done ten thousand times and you know the best and preferably safest way of accompolishing that goal with knowledge and speed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

pina in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

common sense, know where north is, know your math.
without these 3 you're pissin in the wind

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Shea Loucks in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta

81 months ago

The 3 traits are in this order:
1 - People Skills - If no one can stand you good luck getting a job...dealing with consultants or finding anyone that wants to work with or under you.

2 - Math - Know your math you noob. Measure everything twice. 2 different ways and double check your work...or you won't keep welders very long. No one wants to retire on the same spool they had a week ago.

3 - Organization - From ordering materials to where you drop the office shack. Clean area = Safe Area. Clean Laydown = Less time digging around and double ordering, and double building.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Aaron Gray in Devon, Alberta

81 months ago

Know how to read the prints correctly. Also the P&IDs use you northings and eastings as well as your elevations.

Rigging is also a very important ticket to get.

Communicate with others and stop the Damn whining. Get it done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Butch Pelino in Cagayan De Oro, Philippines

80 months ago

1. An aptitude of Math.
2. Keen to details
3. And takes pride of their work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rodney Jardina in Pasadena, Texas

80 months ago

Jack said: 99% of pipefitting is CONFIDENCE!!!!!!

plus the ability to read blueprints

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

highway

80 months ago

ive been looking at jobs online .. head hunter companies looking for pipefitters with 1 yr experience ,, i learned my trade fast and and was always one of the better craftsman in my field until you come to each pipe problem 10,000 times and realize there is only about 5 ways to solve the problem and out of those 5 ways you must narrow that down to the resources at your availability .then you really dont know much of nothing and your 99% confidence is really just blowin smoke up some ones ass,,,,,,,,,it takes at least 4-5 yrs to become a good pipefitter and then your training comes from the field and alot of knowledge is truely lost .... confidence will get you fired if you dont know what your doing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

that's exactly correct, altho a lot of
piping problems seem easy to figure out
from the perspective of the 'sup' , out
here in the field we never know quite
what we have to work with, then each
project has it's own trivialities.
well put bro.
Rj

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

monte in Aurora, Colorado said: I am taking the pipe fitter 2 at school of mines wednesday.
What is test code woqaa195? and wxgla063. These are the test I need to know my stuff! Any help out there?
What is perceptual(math xyz)?

xyz is most likely referring to the coordinate axis, north/south, east/west,and
of course elevation measured in feet and
inches

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

monte in Aurora, Colorado

80 months ago

Thanks. No need to take it. Just won the lottery!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

thetruth in Walker, Louisiana

80 months ago

monte in Aurora, Colorado said: Thanks. No need to take it. Just won the lottery!

Great now start a pipefitting school and help others out... dont just take and take and not give back because that money will run out and you will be right back here still not knowing a damn thing! start a website and get some free tests out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

thanks for the vote, but I ain't all that, just been to school and am
an old man who has experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

I'm white- I know, my last name doesn't sound like it, but I am! What have you got going on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jarred in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

79 months ago

I would say quite a bit of experience for that would help.

Much regards,
David
www.travellinesexpress.com
www.selfhelpgrowing.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Is there any sort of sample or practice test online for the NCCER written exam? After 12+ years as a fitter, I am going to have to take one, and I am not good at written testing.
I've looked all over, but maybe I've overlooked something. Just can't find what I need for reviewing.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rodney in Pasadena, Texas

78 months ago

hey Steve,
you dont need to practice for this silly
test, you can pass it with your eyes closed.
I took it at the safety council, and to
my dismay, most of the questions are either
multiple choice , or really simple.

Good luck.
Rj

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Thanks
Anything on the math part to share? And are the results of this thing immediate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trademarked in DeQuincy, Louisiana

78 months ago

I'm currently attending a 3-month crash course in pipefitting, at the end of which, "God Willing," I will succeed to be NCCER certified. Anyway that's 10 weeks away, therefore, what's at hand is where my head is at. One of my top priorities within my schooling is to program and prepare myself to be capable of brushing the following scenerio of my shoulders like water off a ducks back:

ex: I'm standing on a scaffold, 10-15 feet up working the math on a piping layout, when my calculator suddenly falls to it's shattering death leaving me alone with the two best friends i had, before i was frankly instructed to bring a calculator to class the next day or else..."pencil & paper."

Q: How best can I prepare myself for such unfortunate mishap math-wise? What are the main areas of math must I program myself to know...What are the most vital piping formulas/equations must I program myself to calculate in order to avoid having my "Certified" A** un-fitted from the payroll?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Fresno, California

78 months ago

When i put on a welding hood , I forgot how to do simple math, and could not fit pipe. whew! i took it of just in time.

pipefitter forman TTSC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Fresno, California

78 months ago

You Got that right, hand !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Burton Poole in Bangor, Maine

78 months ago

Trademarked in DeQuincy, Louisiana said: I'm currently attending a 3-month crash course in pipefitting, at the end of which, "God Willing," I will succeed to be NCCER certified. Anyway that's 10 weeks away, therefore, what's at hand is where my head is at. One of my top priorities within my schooling is to program and prepare myself to be capable of brushing the following scenerio of my shoulders like water off a ducks back:

ex: I'm standing on a scaffold, 10-15 feet up working the math on a piping layout, when my calculator suddenly falls to it's shattering death leaving me alone with the two best friends i had, before i was frankly instructed to bring a calculator to class the next day or else..."pencil & paper."

Q: How best can I prepare myself for such unfortunate mishap math-wise? What are the main areas of math must I program myself to know...What are the most vital piping formulas/equations must I program myself to calculate in order to avoid having my "Certified" A** un-fitted from the payroll?

i know nccr ppl. they dont know you need trig , geometry ,algebra, calculater skills how many holes in a flange is irelavent. just count them you need to know whats not in the book not in the book

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Burton Poole in Bangor, Maine

78 months ago

brains brains brains

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ferral LaFleur in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

77 months ago

Jarred in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I would say quite a bit of experience for that would help.

Much regards,
David

Hi i am wanting to become a full fledged fitter. i was a fitter offshore back in 1995 for crown oilfield services, i was thrown in to the job because the company was just trying to man the job. i am willing to go as a b class just so i can get out there and earn the kind of money my family deserves. if i can only get a company to give me a shot, i am a very hard worker dependable and want to travel if thats what it takes. If you have anyway to help me out please call me on my cell#985-774-0655 or 985-974-0674

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Lafayette, Indiana

77 months ago

Whoever said you need people skills to be a pipe fitter or to keep a welder is a puts. My current boss ahtes me but loves my work. Thats common. As far as welding goes I can do it myself or train a monkey if the need arises. A welder is just a tool I use to get the job done and tools can be replaced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ferral LaFleur in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

77 months ago

I want to go in as a class b fitter any ideas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kris Mitchell

77 months ago

Oh yeah, by the way, here's my addy kgmitchell1@hotmail.com

jon in Prattville, Alabama

77 months ago

Jack said: 99% of pipefitting is CONFIDENCE!!!!!!

you must only need 1% of knowledge ?takes years to learn pipe !and then you can still learn.can you make a one piece mitre 90 ?can you make a 5 piece mitre 90 ?how about a 3 piece 45..the confidence comes after you learn how it's done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bimal Khatiwada in Kathmandu, Nepal

76 months ago

When i will got a chance ?

Bimal Khatiwada in Kathmandu, Nepal

76 months ago

When i will got a chance in KBR company ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Anchorage, Alaska

76 months ago

Its all about having a frame of mind that says you are willing todo the best That you can do and not necessarily what someone else can do. It comes down to giving all that you can and learning what people offer. Sometimes its paying attention to what people do wrong as well as what people do right. Pipefitting is no harder then any other trade. When you install something it needs to be square, level, and or plumb. It is either going to be welded, bolted, glued nailed and so on. Learn some math mainly fractions. A good way todo this is to get your tape measure and learn how to use it. Time in the field isnt a deciding factor always that someone is qualified. As a supervisor I would rather have someone willing to put out some effort and learn then the 20 year Journeyman that knows everything and isnt willing to put out much effort. So the 3 things you need the most. An attitude to learn and give 100% to what ever you are trying todo. Learn Math(Fractions and simple Geometry) mostly learned on the job after you are done with normal schooling. Be on time, reliable and just because everyone else is drinking coffee or smoking after a break doesnt mean that you have to. Make sure that you can sleep with a peaceful mind knowing you did the best you could do everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

glen rozario in Ft Lauderdale

76 months ago

A pipefitter must have well experience of understanding the places and corners where there wont be any leaks !!!
That was the problem i has faced when i just arrived and held in a room that had water leaking from the celeing.

--------------------------
[url=www.san-diego-home-insurance.info/]San Diego Home Insurance[/url]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bhishan Chaulagain in Kathmandu, Nepal

76 months ago

Dear sir,
I am a Bhishan Chaulagain from Nepal, I am working in pipefitter ind I have more knowledge in field survey , Now I have goverment job in Nepal , but also I want to do work in KBR company, I have more Knowledge .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Dear sir,
I am trying many times in this web site , I found and I am studing about this company , I am very happy to meet this company and I hope , I will conform to join in this company , I have more knowledge , I have more exprance , and just I am @* years old so that I am strong , helthy, and honusty

76 months ago

Dear sir,
I am Bhishan Chaulagain From Nepal,
I birth in 1980
I passed the SLC in 1998,
I passed the IA 2000,
I passed the Survey training in 2003,
I passed the junior bio-gas training in 2004,
I have more knowledge in short training they are supervaisor, TOT, computerl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul Hill in Alachua, Florida

76 months ago

(1)Experience. Anyone can put two pieces of pipe together, the difference comes when problems arise that aren't covered in the books. (2)Good work ethic. You can be at the top of your field, however, if it is like pulling teeth to get quality work out of you, you will fail. (3)Humility. By humility, i mean, realizing that even though you are good, that doesn't mean you can not learn. Leave your ego in the parking lot.
The bottom line is that Plumb, Level, Square, on time and under budget trump confidence everytime. If you don't know, ask someone who does. Certain dues have to be paid. If you choose to lie to earn top hand wages, you can't hide it and the ones who have paid those dues can see it. You will only be fooling yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul Hill in Alachua, Florida

76 months ago

What is it that you would like for me to do with this information?

76 months ago

Dear sir,
I am trying meny times to found the job , but I couldn't got a job . what is a proses to job,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Juan Azul in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

Steve in Houston, Texas said: Is there any sort of sample or practice test online for the NCCER written exam? After 12+ years as a fitter, I am going to have to take one, and I am not good at written testing.
I've looked all over, but maybe I've overlooked something. Just can't find what I need for reviewing.
Thanks[/QUOTE

Steve, is there an apprenticeship program in houston for pipefitting? i need a career change. thanks for any and all information that anyone can give me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mister cranky in La Porte, Texas

76 months ago

You can check with the local contractors.
Becon and Fluor Daniel may have something like this,
and Beaumont has something going on at the college I think, about apprentice for the Motiva plant.

Kris Mitchell in Louisville, Kentucky

76 months ago

If you are interested in becoming nccer certified in the pipe trade then there are a number of books and other pieces of information that you can use as study guides before committing to any testing. Most nccer tests I have seen are taken from a computer in a lab. Try to research the Prentice Hall NCCER Contern Learning series. It is a series of books that provide alot of detailed and very user friendly information to anyone interested in learning the pipe trade. Other wise get yourself a Pipefitters Blue Book (w.v. graves) This is a pretty good tool also.

On to another issue. There is more to being a true pipefitter then what you will find or hear in this forum or any other for that matter. The best advice I can give to anyone interested in learning the pipe trade or becoming a true pipefitter is try to get into an apprentice program at a trade school or a local union hall in your area. If your new to this, I start out by learning how to weld, learn the properties of metals and the concepts and ideas behind them. A few other things to consider, if your not good with numbers don't waste your time. If your affraid of heights then you should consider another carreer. If you don't like to get dirty then this isn't for you. If your affraid of long hours and hard work then maybe you should stay home. If your not a team player then your not going to work on my team. If you have no patience then I can't help you. SAFETY!!!!!! If you have the attention span of a grasshopper then sorry, you'r looking in the wrong places for something you may never find even in the right places. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I just think it's best that people understand the in's and out's of what being a pipefitter is all about before they get involved in something that may get them killed. I hope everyone gives it there best shot, there is always work out there for a good pipefitter. Positive attitude, and good work ethic. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trademarked in Lake Charles, Louisiana

76 months ago

Well, here I am three months later and NCCER certified. Before anyone gets gun ho on me, let me say that i'm well aware that certification is merely a word without experience to back it up. Now, here i go, what's my first move from here forward. I fully understand that starting out as a helper is first off. So, does anyone in the Southwest Louisiana, Southeast Texas area have any job opening recommendations for a rookie?

Trademarked in Lake Charles, Louisiana

76 months ago

mister cranky in La Porte, Texas said: If you can get to Deer Park, TX. there are several contractors on Center street. Since the storm there should be a lot of work opening up.

Also Check with the Beaumont And Port Arthur Employment offices.

Thanx!

mister cranky in La Porte, Texas

74 months ago

Blove is correct. Down south there are fitters, fabricators,
and welders. That's THREE seperate trades.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

root daddy in Huntsville, Alabama

74 months ago

rick in Smiths Creek, Michigan said: you're not a fitter if you cant weld your stuff yourself son!! and theres only one trait you need here in detroit and thats speed cause every boss wants his job done yesterday!!!!!

sounds like you are very confused, you must be a welder who wants to be able to fit pipe, but cant get off the speed long enough to tell which end of the pipe is round. maybe some of the foremen need to be drug tested as well. quality is always better than trying to hurry up, and then having to cut it back out. Thats why you are having to weld your own pipe. the welders are getting tired of all the rework.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mongo / Green Lantern in Little Rock, Arkansas

74 months ago

What skills do you need to GET the job? If you don't really know what you're doing, being a really good liar and knowing the terms "takeoff", "saddle" and "butt weld" oughta do it. To KEEP the job and move on to better, higher-paying jobs you need actual skills which include, but are not limited to:

Being able to identify pipe sizes (a good cheat for this is to find a valve in the line which usually has a the pipe size written on it)

Knowing how to measure your distances the right way (i.e. center to center) and being able to draw up an ISO of it that is readable by others

Being able to communicate with your foreman and welder to find out what they want and what is easiest/best for them (a happy welder means a happier job for you since you'll be spending 90% of your time with them)

Be honest with what you know and, more importantly, what you don't know. Don't jump in and screw something up that you could have the opportunity to learn right by watching/helping someone else.

And the number one skill that will help you on the road is being humble. Don't ever go into a job thinking you're the best fitter/welder/rigger on site because, guaranteed, there will be somebody that's better and/or have been doing it longer than you. Instead keep your mouth shut and pick up as much as you can by communicating and working with that person. 9 times out of 10 if you make someone else's job easier for them they are more than willing to help you out down the road. Be good to the people you work with and they'll be good to you.

If you excell in your craft, you'll make a name for yourself in the field and have a job any time you want. There are dues that have to be paid to learn things the right way, so take your time and do it right. Confidence comes with time and experience. Not everybody has been doing this for years and years, so take the time to learn it from the people that have.

This is just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.