Can I get a job as a police officer at the age of 40?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 64)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas

61 months ago

Are middle aged people considered for law enforcement careers? I worked in corrections for 13 and 1/2 years. I left it for the rail road a few years ago and I got laid off because of the economy. I always wanted to be a police officer but I got hired by the prison system when I graduated from college and I just never got out of it until the Rail Road offered me big bucks to come and work for them. I have applied to several police departments since I was laid off and I just haven't gotten any offers. I am considering paying my own way through the police officer academy at the community college but I am a little afraid of spending the time and money, and then never getting a job. I am afraid that maybe I am being rejected because I am too old to start this as a career. Can anyone give me any advice in this area. I have a solid work history, clean back ground, good credit history, and I'm not crazy. There really is no reason I shouldn't be hired that I can think of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

NathanNiel in Los Angeles

60 months ago

Hi,

Since you have crossed the age limit of Texas you are not able to apply for police recruitment. You can try for other jobs in traffic management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

lapd wannabe in Closter, New Jersey

59 months ago

I'm not sure why you're so concerned. As long as you apply to police depts. without a max. age requirement your resume speaks for itself. College graduate with 13 plus years in corrections, clean background, you shouldn't have a problem getting in somewhere. I'm actually surprised you're even worried compared to other posts I've read.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

k9kent in Northbrook, Illinois

59 months ago

Look to the sheriff.

Most city pd's are age restricted due to state pension laws. Most often the sheriff departments are not age restricted.

Don't think you can walk up and submit the resume and start on Monday.

Here is my insider tip:

You need to be on the inside. Start looking for a dispatcher job. Large metro area. Go to the affluent suburbs. They pay well and have benefits. It is great experience and gives you a jump on the competition.

If you are in a rural area. You need to be near the county seat. Lower pay with benefits. But this will work.

www.getapolicejob.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Saint Louis, Missouri

56 months ago

I wanna be a Detective in the narcotics division. Can I do that right out of academy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

C/O in Keller, Texas

56 months ago

No, not without prior experience or specialized training. I've heard of guys transfering or hiring into departments and going into specialized areas of an agency but they have had extensive prior experience and/or training through special schools. The only way I could see that happening is if someone had let their peace officer certification expire and they were going back through an academy to make themselves current so that they could except such a position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

C/O in Keller, Texas said: No, not without prior experience or specialized training. I've heard of guys transfering or hiring into departments and going into specialized areas of an agency but they have had extensive prior experience and/or training through special schools. The only way I could see that happening is if someone had let their peace officer certification expire and they were going back through an academy to make themselves current so that they could except such a position.

How long after academy does it usually take for someone to get promoted to detective? I am thinking of joining academy but I am gonna get degree first I just don't wanna spend all my time riding around in a squad car

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

turbo in Closter, New Jersey

56 months ago

Chris in Saint Louis, Missouri said: How long after academy does it usually take for someone to get promoted to detective? I am thinking of joining academy but I am gonna get degree first I just don't wanna spend all my time riding around in a squad car

It would definitely take at least a year because during your first year you are on probation. But more than likely it would take a few years after the probationary period just so you can prove you're worthy of a promotion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

turbo in Closter, New Jersey said: It would definitely take at least a year because during your first year you are on probation. But more than likely it would take a few years after the probationary period just so you can prove you're worthy of a promotion.

what proves someone is worthy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I just wanna be a cop and don't mean spending my 20 in a car writing tickets. I am 26 and have not even signed up for academy yet. I have no military exp but i grew up around a lot of people who made a life of doing and selling drugs and I feel I have an understanding for the area. I wanna be in a narcotics division of some kind while I still have the strive I have now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Chris,
There is no doubt you can follow your dream. You're still really young. There is no reason you can't make it happen unless you have a serious background issue. You just have to keep applying and be honest on your background stuff. Stay in shape because the academy can be tough if your not. Join the National Guard or an Army Reserve branch in your area. Trust me, it is a good thing and will serve you the rest of your life. I admire your desire to get a degree and I would suggest you begin by taking a class or two. Chip away at it as you can afford too and your time allows until you get it done. Pell Grants are easy to get if you've never been to school before. What you grew up around makes no difference as long as you weren't directly involved in any of it. Almost every one has someone in their life who was involved in some nefarious stuff, don't sweat it. If you get hired and stay with it I seriously doubt you'll do 20 on patrol unless you decide you like it. The first step is to get hired. Good Luck!
P.S. Schedule a ride along with the department you want to apply to and ask the officer you ride with your questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: Chris,
There is no doubt you can follow your dream. You're still really young. There is no reason you can't make it happen unless you have a serious background issue. You just have to keep applying and be honest on your background stuff. Stay in shape because the academy can be tough if your not. Join the National Guard or an Army Reserve branch in your area. Trust me, it is a good thing and will serve you the rest of your life. I admire your desire to get a degree and I would suggest you begin by taking a class or two. Chip away at it as you can afford too and your time allows until you get it done. Pell Grants are easy to get if you've never been to school before. What you grew up around makes no difference as long as you weren't directly involved in any of it. Almost every one has someone in their life who was involved in some nefarious stuff, don't sweat it. If you get hired and stay with it I seriously doubt you'll do 20 on patrol unless you decide you like it. The first step is to get hired. Good Luck!
P.S. Schedule a ride along with the department you want to apply to and ask the officer you ride with your questions.

thanx but military really still just would not work for me you are away for 3 weeks or something and I have 2 daughters and it just would not be doable. I will just bite the bullet and get my degree. The academy where i live offers both in one program degree and certificate from academy or are they all like that? I have been out of school since 00 I think I am just worried about being a student again, I hated school. Maybe a bail recovery agent would be interesting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

It sounds like you are talking about paying to go to an academy. If it is at a community college you can apply that time toward a degree. In Texas they give you credit hours toward an Associates. When you complete the academy you will be a certified peace officer in your state. If the agency you hire on with trains you, you will be certified in your state but I do not believe the training is applied toward a degree. I understand your anxiety concerning school. I graduated from Texas A&M with a Bachelor's back in '92 and I'm 40. I wasn't much of student either. I can say that being more mature helps with discipline and focus but for me personally I have to work harder to understand and retain information. If this is what you want do it now. Procrastination and waiting doesn't make it easier. The worst thing that can happen to you is failing. Failure isn't the end of the world it helps you adjust your direction. Good luck, Chris, I think that you will do fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: It sounds like you are talking about paying to go to an academy. If it is at a community college you can apply that time toward a degree. In Texas they give you credit hours toward an Associates. When you complete the academy you will be a certified peace officer in your state. If the agency you hire on with trains you, you will be certified in your state but I do not believe the training is applied toward a degree. I understand your anxiety concerning school. I graduated from Texas A&M with a Bachelor's back in '92 and I'm 40. I wasn't much of student either. I can say that being more mature helps with discipline and focus but for me personally I have to work harder to understand and retain information. If this is what you want do it now. Procrastination and waiting doesn't make it easier. The worst thing that can happen to you is failing. Failure isn't the end of the world it helps you adjust your direction. Good luck, Chris, I think that you will do fine.

but dont i need associates to become detective or even to become police officer or do I just get copy of ged and join academy. i think i can get a grant for academy too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

No, you don't need it but I doubt you get very far without any military background or formal eduacation. Most Police Departments and certainly no Federal Agencies will hire you without it. Sure the Academy will take your money and train you but I doubt you will ever find a good job unless you work for some back country County or small Municipality that pays starvation wages. The requirements to get the job may seem minimal but the competition is educated, trained, and experienced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I tend to agree with most of Rail Roader's postings except for the part that military experience is valued more than a Bachelor's degree. In the past military experience gave applicants an edge because many who possessed college degrees chose different professions. However, now studies have shown that a college graduate has outperformed police officers without a degree as far as professionalism and promotions within the department. In fact, the number of applicants with graduate degrees are also rising. The reason I know this is because this is being taught in criminal justice classes. Now if you have a degree as well as a military background that's an added bonus.

As far as your intentions to become a detective you need at least an Associates degree or 60 college credits just to apply for most depts. which is just the bare minimum. If you truly want to become a detective I suggest you plan on getting your Bachelors degree right now and it doesn't have to be criminal justice. A detective is considered a promotion so you can imagine how difficult it would be to attain a position like that, let alone just to be a police officer these days considering there are a plethora of college graduates who are being deselected as well. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

turbo in Closter, New Jersey said: I tend to agree with most of Rail Roader's postings except for the part that military experience is valued more than a Bachelor's degree. In the past military experience gave applicants an edge because many who possessed college degrees chose different professions. However, now studies have shown that a college graduate has outperformed police officers without a degree as far as professionalism and promotions within the department. In fact, the number of applicants with graduate degrees are also rising. The reason I know this is because this is being taught in criminal justice classes. Now if you have a degree as well as a military background that's an added bonus.

As far as your intentions to become a detective you need at least an Associates degree or 60 college credits just to apply for most depts. which is just the bare minimum. If you truly want to become a detective I suggest you plan on getting your Bachelors degree right now and it doesn't have to be criminal justice. A detective is considered a promotion so you can imagine how difficult it would be to attain a position like that, let alone just to be a police officer these days considering there are a plethora of college graduates who are being deselected as well. Good luck.

that right there is the reason crime rates are so high in St.Louis where i live cause all the officers are a bunch of in shape bookworms. Police officers should be educated yes but it should not stop there at one time being a police officer was a job for a selected few to handle now anybody with a high enough gpa can get a badge. I am going to pursue without military. The academy for Jefferson County Mo is a 2 yr program that upon completed you will have 40 college credits. Promotions don't to much worry me cause I'm not going to try to move up by taking radar on the roadside. have many friends on force that assure me I will be eccepted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I'm not trying to discourage you from pursuing a career in law enforcement but with how competitive the job market is now for police jobs I think you should have a backup plan too in the meantime. There are many qualified applicants who are waiting in the wings right now and in the meantime are improving their chances by furthering their education or doing voluntary work such as being a reserve. Even Rail Roader has very good credentials with having a Bachelors and prior corrections experience seems to be having a difficult time getting hired with a police dept. Right now his situation is not the exception, unfortunately it's the norm. I have friends who were hired on as police officers in the early 90's and even they said they probably wouldn't be hired now, considering that many of the applicants have college degrees which neither of them have. As far as having friends on the force that probably will not carry much weight as you think other than it's a positive referral. My friend who is a detective couldn't get his own brother onto his dept., but his brother eventually got hired on by another agency in which he had to relocate. This is 2010, depts. stray away from this "good old boys club" practice of hiring that may have been prevalent years ago due to legal ramifications that can arise. I think the self sponsorship route is ok but I'd personally would try to get that bachelors degree in an area where I can utilize it, just in case things don't pan out. Since you have a family I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, especially in this recession. I, myself, have a bachelors already but am pursuing a 2nd BSN to become a nurse just in case the chips don't fall my way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I agree with Turbo's comment. I actually was in the top picks for Ft. Wroth P.D. this time around but unfortunately while getting ready for the academy my knees started giving me trouble and my doctor recommended surgery now and try again later before I failed out or caused permanent damage. The recruiter was very understanding and said he would put my file on hold until I healed up. I will get another try at it this fall. I know that at Ft. Worth using a relative or friend automatically disqualifies an applicant to get a job and we were warned against it. I know that in Arlington you have to have a bachelor’s before you can even apply. Other places that I have applied at want you to at least have 30 hours. The Feds want a bachelor’s unless you have prior experience that is equivalent to it. I speak from experience when I say that I have been placed behind those who have served in the military and have the minimum qualifying education. When I tried to get in (the Army) it was toward the end of the Reagan presidency and the military was very selective about who they let in. I was born with a congenital heart defect so I was denied at that time even though it was corrected by surgery when I was a kid and I was totally normal. So I went to college on the Mom and Dad Scholarship. Now the military lets everyone in and I think that anyone who can should serve their country. It creates a great advantage when looking for work, going to school, getting a loan, buying a house, etc.. I too have a lot of friends who are in law enforcement, not to mention my wife works for the US Dept. Of Justice. I couldn’t tell you how many positions I have applied for with that department with no luck. It is very competitive out there. I have counted my age and my lack of veterans preference as two strikes against me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Rail Roader, sorry to hear about your knee. But I'm glad you were selected for Fort Worth, I was rooting for you since I'll be 40 myself at the end of 2010. What about corrections? I'm sure you would have a better chance than most and I believe they pay comparable and in some cases more than police officers. BTW I was LAPD Wannabe but I was deselected and through that experience I realized how naive I was myself about my chances of getting in. It's a totally different animal these days to become a police officer. Hope your knee heals up so you can give it a second shot and inspire me with some good news.

56 months ago

Thanks for the kind words. The knee is healing slowly but surely. Going back into corrections has been a thought for me and I have had my regrets about leaving the Fed. Bur. of Prisons because of the job security. But, to be honest after 5 years with the state, 2 as a supervisor (Sergeant), and then almost 8 with the Feds I always wanted to be a police officer. In prison I saw and did some crazy things but I always felt like nothing more than a glorified baby sitter with a set of keys. In my area I could work for the county or the Feds. and in this market it is tough to get back on. The county pays crap and the Feds in this area pull heavily for the vets (as it should be) or transfers in. I could probably go back to work for them out of state but I have left my family alone long enough working for the rail road. I don't want to do that to my kiddo anymore, it's too hard on him. On the other hand, there are a plethora of law enforcement agencies in my area and they all pay a living wage to start with a nice outlook on the future. Of course as luck would have it the rail road is now picking back up and it looks like I could be back to running trains by this summer. I left corrections for that because of the huge pay increase and it is a safer profession never thinking that a recession would cripple the country. As far as trying again in the future I don't know. I will have to see after I get back to work on the rail road where my heart is. One thing I learned during this recession was how to live on less and we were just as happy, if not more so, because our family was together. The point being, I could deal with the pay cut to become a police officer to fulfill an ambition I've had all of my life. Keep monitoring this forum and I'll let you know. Let me know if something happens for you too. Take care.

56 months ago

Hmm...you learn something new everyday. I didn't know the rail road industry paid that well.

Agreed. I'll post if anything changes on my end. For now I plan on pursuing a BSN but if I get hired into law enforcement before then I will go all in. However, if I finish up my BSN first which seems more likely, I will stick to being a "male nurse", lol. At that point I wil have invested too much into my education and training to switch. Besides at my age I truly want to work in a career that's more stable, and once upon a time it was law enforcement but now I think health care is safer. Hope everything goes well even if you stick with rail roads. You take care as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Here in St.Louis on average we lose 2 officers a month in the inner city they of course are always hiring with no college education required. the area I want to work is pretty much wooded areas and highways. The lowest starting salary for officers in my county is 31xxx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Yeah,
I left the Feds at around 50K in '06. I started at the Rail Road making 65K and before I got laid off as much as 80K. Most P.D.'s around here start in the low 40's and you are up to the low to mid 60's in 5 years. I'm a licensed Locomotive Engineer and if I can get back in the seat I could be looking at the low 100's in 5 years. You can understand my dilemma. I have always wanted to be a law enforcement officer on the street though, ever since I was a teenager. Working for the Rail Road can pay well but it is a very demanding job and very hard on a family. I looked into the Nursing thing too. It's a great profession but around here you could be looking at being put on waiting list for up to 2 years to get into a program and they only accept the best GPA's. If I went back to school for anything it would be HVAC. I enjoy working on mechanical things.
Chris... apply, what have you got to lose if you can live on that salary and you want to do it? If you get hired that's great. If you don't, figure out what they are looking for and reapply. Take care guys.

56 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: Yeah,
I left the Feds at around 50K in '06. I started at the Rail Road making 65K and before I got laid off as much as 80K. Most P.D.'s around here start in the low 40's and you are up to the low to mid 60's in 5 years. I'm a licensed Locomotive Engineer and if I can get back in the seat I could be looking at the low 100's in 5 years. You can understand my dilemma. I have always wanted to be a law enforcement officer on the street though, ever since I was a teenager. Working for the Rail Road can pay well but it is a very demanding job and very hard on a family. I looked into the Nursing thing too. It's a great profession but around here you could be looking at being put on waiting list for up to 2 years to get into a program and they only accept the best GPA's. If I went back to school for anything it would be HVAC. I enjoy working on mechanical things.
Chris... apply, what have you got to lose if you can live on that salary and you want to do it? If you get hired that's great. If you don't, figure out what they are looking for and reapply. Take care guys.

shoot i only made 18 last yr working for the resturant. I got 2 kids if it wasn't for her having a good yr i would have never made it. I dont know what to do I don't wanna waste time and money just to get put on reserve. I am 26 and need to get career in my sights before its to late. thanx for the help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I don't understand your comment about being put on reserve. Are you saying that they only hire from reserve officers? Are you saying that you get put on a waiting list until you get selected? It's not uncommon to have to wait a year to 18 months before you get hired with some agencies. I applied to Dallas Area Rapid Transit Police in April of last year and didn't get a job offer until February of this year. Your previous comments made it sound like they were in constant need of applicants. Is it the only agency within your commuting area? It doesn't take a lot of time or money to fill out an application and a back ground packet. Are you in a position where you can relocate? The more places you apply to the better your chances are.

Cat lover of Milton

56 months ago

I have a heart condition known as tranposition of the great vessles. I have had it since birth. However, as of late, I can't help but find myself interested in being either a police or correctional officer.Is it possible with my heart condition?

56 months ago

Chris, I think you can become a police officer eventually but I think you need to take more steps to get there. You really can't stand out from all the applicants with just the minimum requirements. However, you do have youth on your side but you need a plan and it may require some difficult decisions. I think you really have to ask yourself how badly do you want it. If you really want it you may have to take out student loans for an education or enlist in the military where you can fund your education and also have the military background. I'd suggest if you do decide to get a college education, major in something you can use as a backup but if your only passion is law enforcement than criminal justice would improve your chances as well.

Rail Roader, six figures, now I know why you have a railroad fetish. That kind of money would be hard to turn down, especially in Texas where the cost of living is still not over the top like NY or CA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Money is the only thing that makes it hard to want to walk a way from the rail road. It’s definitely not what I pictured myself doing for a living when I was 18 and going to college. I agree with your comment about standing out from all of the other applicants. I would only say get a degree in anything but Criminal Justice. I have mine from Texas A&M and it has never done me much good. As a matter of fact when I was promoted to Sergeant all of those years ago I was told point blank by my Major at the time. “ I will not consider you over other candidates just because you have a degree and they don’t”. I have had a lot of supervisors and known people without degrees get jobs before me. I agree that having a degree is a good thing but get it in psychology, accounting, business administration, or sociology. When I took a test for ICE Special Agent a few months ago the whole thing was algebra with a few reading comprehension parts. They want math now and like you said Turbo, get a degree that makes a plan B. Criminal Justice only gives you a degree in Criminal Justice. I wouldn’t even say that it prepares you for a career in the field. They train you in everything they want you to know and the rest is on the job.
Cat Lover, if your health is alright and you can pass a physical there is no reason you couldn’t get a job in either of these fields. Most police officer academies are much more physical than corrections are though. I don’t know why because working in the field for 13 years I was in a lot of tough scrapes. I did a lot of running, fighting fires, fighting armed convicts who do nothing but eat, sleep, and work out all day. I always compared being a correctional officer to being a cop put in the worst neighborhood in the city with out anything to protect himself while everyone he was supposed to be controlling was armed. Every one thinks those guys in prison are locked up all of the time. They are not, it is like living and working in a society full of bad guys.

56 months ago

Rail Roader, I agree CJ is not the most practical degree for most people but I got the impression that Chris was planning to self sponsor himself through a CC in which case he could attain at least an AA in CJ relatively quickly with those credits.

I watched an episode of Lock Up and what you describe about corrections is pretty much what I saw and I'm sure to actually experience it is a lot worse. I was surprised how openly disrespectful many of the inmates were towards the corrections officers especially the new ones, many of them acted like they were the authority figures. I could see how that type of environment where you're extremely outnumbered can wear on you emotionally and physically. My friend, a police officer, told me he thought working the jails would be easier because he said it was a more controlled environment as opposed to being on patrol. But I guess one never really knows unless they've been in the other's shoes. Although, generally I think more people think corrections is harder because I noticed a lot of people applying to sheriff's depts. complain about not wanting to have to work too much time in the prisons.

56 months ago

They're already in jail, you can't do much more to them. I've known a lot of street cops and Federal Agents over the years. Most of them tell me that they may deal with a person as bad as what a correctional officer deals with everyday maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Correctional Officers deal with bad all of the time. Regular street cops might get to save a person in a car wreck, help a kid, save the life of someone who deserves it. Those opportunities are mixed in with the bad and it makes the job worth it. Working inside of a prison taking abuse all day long with no thanks...ever wears a person down. Not to mention that after you take all of that abuse you have to serve those turds meals, clothing, recreation, etc. And it can be dangerous to top it all off. In corrections the only tool you have are your wits to survive and gain respect. When I was on the job we weren't given pepper spray or batons. You get a radio, handcuffs, and a 3 cell Maglight and then you are locked into a cell block by yourself with 250 of society's worst murdering and raping thugs for 8 to 16 hours. Believe me when I say that I used my flashlight for more than seeing in the dark with. Correctional Officers don't get the respect they deserve for what they put up with. It always seems like street cops get the glory, the training, the pay and the thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat Lover of Milton in Milton, Florida

56 months ago

I am so THRILLED to know this!!!! Thank you so MUCH!!! Now, to raise my chances of passing the physical training, I shall begin to practice pull ups, sit ups, push ups,wieght training and mile runs. I think if I begin training now, by the time I get done with college( I'm only 18 and I figure if I have to wait 2 yr to be old enough to be a cop, why not make them count?)I will be physically strong enough to pull this off! I am so glad to know it is possible for me to work in Law enforcement. My Dad told me I can't because of my heart condition and the fact I'm only 5ft and one half inch tall. (Quite frankly I think he's just worried I'll get killed on the job)( I checked height requirements. Most of them have been abolished because they are believed to be in violation of the civil rights act)

Cat lover of Milton in Milton, Florida

55 months ago

I am curious, what was it like in the police academy?Myfriend says joining the police is a lot like joining the military but I question her accuracy. What are the physical and medical requirements for police candidates in Florida? They seem to vary.If Rail roader from Texas is correct, I can get a job as a police officer or correctional officer despite my heart condition so long as my health is good and I can pass the physical training. However, I did some research online, and there are some states that won't even take a candidate with a tooth cavity!!I want to make sure I know for certain what the physical requirements and medical requiremnts are before I go through two years of criminal justice education only to be told I am disqualified form the academy because of medical problems. Please reply with some answers ASAP if you have any. Thanks!

oso in San Diego, California

55 months ago

I will be 37 in a few months. I put my self thru the police academy during my last year of service with the military. I have many applications out there and recently had an interview and passed but due to budget problems that department went on a hiring freeze for who knows how long.I worry too because i'm getting older and have no college degree and a lot departments now a days prefer applicants with a college degree. The only thing I have to my advantage is serving in the military with an honorable discharge plus college credits for the academy which I can use towards a degree.I'm really staying focus as I would like to be hired as least before I turn 38 if not I guess is all downhill from there.

oso in San Diego, California

55 months ago

Cat lover of Milton in Milton, Florida said: I am curious, what was it like in the police academy?Myfriend says joining the police is a lot like joining the military but I question her accuracy. What are the physical and medical requirements for police candidates in Florida? They seem to vary.If Rail roader from Texas is correct, I can get a job as a police officer or correctional officer despite my heart condition so long as my health is good and I can pass the physical training. However, I did some research online, and there are some states that won't even take a candidate with a tooth cavity!!I want to make sure I know for certain what the physical requirements and medical requiremnts are before I go through two years of criminal justice education only to be told I am disqualified form the academy because of medical problems. Please reply with some answers ASAP if you have any. Thanks!

replying back to Cat lover. The police academy is structured just like the military. You have a chain of command and must follow rules.In my academy with had tons of PT and we would run at least 4 miles 3 times. for me it was a bit hard at first because I was working 10+ hours a day with the military and mandatory PT 3 times a week plus the PT I was doing at the academy but then your body just gets used to it.I was only having an average of 4 hours of sleep a day sometimes 3 but I managed to finished the academy.You might want to go see a doctor and get a letter saying you are fit for physical activity.Good luck!

55 months ago

Cat Lover, in 1993 the administration in Washington DC passed the American Disabilities Act. As long as you can do the work and pass the physical portion of your processing and training you cannot be denied based on a past medical problem. I see on a prior post you are only 18. It's never to soon to start getting into shape. Most agencies won't hire you until you are 21. I would strongly suggest going into the military and starting school after you complete your active duty service. I also discourage corrections, especially for the state of Florida. I am assuming that you are a female and if you end up working in a male joint it will be very hard on you. I have relatives that live in Florida (as a matter of fact I just got back from there on Spring Break) and I know that they have some very tough prisons there.

OSO, Thank you for your service to our country. Academy and full time work that's double tough. I think that considering your life and work experience, plus being certified should get you hired pretty soon. It seemed like I put a lot of applications out there and went through a lot of processing for a lot of different agencies. It took about a year and they all started calling me offering a job. You think it's down hill after 38 just wait until 40. I think we're good for consideration until 45. Take Care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cat Lover in Milton, Florida

55 months ago

Wow. Crystal was not inaccurate in her claim that joining the police is a lot like joining the military. Dr. Blanchard(a cardilologist in charge of my cardiac care) has been my cardiologist for years. I have to go for a check up in December anyway. I can always ask him for a letter then. I'll consider the military. I'm just not sure how I'll handle the stress of it though(I have heard a lot of boot camp horror stories from my Dad and a friend of the family. Are they true?) I contacted the Santa Rosa Sheriff's office to find out what the physical and medical requiremtns are. I appreciate the advice. Good luck with job hunting OSO.(It took me 1 month to get a fast food job so I empathize with you)Thanks for the info. Oh ps, by the way, Cat Lover is a female.

OSO in San Diego, California

55 months ago

Cat Lover in Milton, Florida said: Wow. Crystal was not inaccurate in her claim that joining the police is a lot like joining the military. Dr. Blanchard(a cardilologist in charge of my cardiac care) has been my cardiologist for years. I have to go for a check up in December anyway. I can always ask him for a letter then. I'll consider the military. I'm just not sure how I'll handle the stress of it though(I have heard a lot of boot camp horror stories from my Dad and a friend of the family. Are they true?) I contacted the Santa Rosa Sheriff's office to find out what the physical and medical requiremtns are. I appreciate the advice. Good luck with job hunting OSO.(It took me 1 month to get a fast food job so I empathize with you)Thanks for the info. Oh ps, by the way, Cat Lover is a female.

Don't let the horror stories you have heard about boot camp scare you it is only about three months and then you go to your first command. Boot camp is just a mind game. Someone is always telling you what to do. All you have to do is pay close attention and do exactly as you are told not less not more.Dont let bootcamp break you.

Thomas in Lexington, Kentucky

54 months ago

Do you want to know the secret to becoming a police officer? NETWORK! I know police sergeants, captains, chiefs and divisional metro officers. I've made acquaintances all throughout my life and I don't plan to struggle with the job hunt when I turn 21. I have excellent verbal communication skills, amazing comprehension skills and the profound ability to display etiquette and manners. If you're wanting to seperate yourself from other candidates, you need to have an "easy-on-the-eyes" face. Interview panels pay attention to how you're dressed and how handsome/beautiful you are. After all, who wants an ugly cop making statements in court? I know I don't! Law enforcement is politics, get in with the right crowd and you'll never have a problem finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I disagree. Working in the criminal justice field is not Hollywood or a popularity contest. Good law enforcement agencies want professional, intelligent people who are moral and have clean back grounds. Having good communication skills are a must, as well as, meeting all of the basic criteria to make you eligible for employment. A pretty face is only pretty face and serves no other purpose. There are a certain amount of politics and it never hurts to know someone on the job but don't bank on it getting you hired. In a lot of police departments these days if you try and play that card it is an automatic disqualifier. The good 'ol boys are a dieing breed and nepotism is absolutely not tolerated. If you enter this field with an attitude of entitlement because you are good looking you won't last long. I know a lot of fat, ugly, old cops who do their jobs well. I would much rather have that guy watching my back than a pretty boy looking at himself in the mirror all of the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas in Lexington, Kentucky

54 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: I disagree. Working in the criminal justice field is not Hollywood or a popularity contest. Good law enforcement agencies want professional, intelligent people who are moral and have clean back grounds. Having good communication skills are a must, as well as, meeting all of the basic criteria to make you eligible for employment. A pretty face is only pretty face and serves no other purpose. There are a certain amount of politics and it never hurts to know someone on the job but don't bank on it getting you hired. In a lot of police departments these days if you try and play that card it is an automatic disqualifier. The good 'ol boys are a dieing breed and nepotism is absolutely not tolerated. If you enter this field with an attitude of entitlement because you are good looking you won't last long. I know a lot of fat, ugly, old cops who do their jobs well. I would much rather have that guy watching my back than a pretty boy looking at himself in the mirror all of the time.

So, you're telling me that interview panels aren't going to remember a pretty face when it comes times to review their candidates? I'll give you an example: John F. Kennedy defeated "Lyndon B. Johnson" in 1960 for the presidential nomination (he's ugly). John F. Kennedy then went on to defeat "Richard Nixon" for president of the United States (he's ugly). My point? People remember soft faces. I'm not saying this is an integral part to landing your dream job, but it can't possibly hurt you either. I will agree with your comment in regards to intelligent prospects. Agencies want "the best of the best," I couldn't tell you how many encounters I've had with officers who I believed were inferior to myself. If you want a job in the law enforcement field, keep your mind sharp and your balls tight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I am telling you that an interview panel is only a fraction of process when trying to land a career in law enforcement. Politics are politics. The American public and the common lay person may choose that which looks attractive over that which is practical but I believe that individuals who make up a police interview panel are not common or shallow. Police recruits and political candidates are apples and oranges. It is statistically true that those who possess more charisma and are more appealing to the eye are more likely to be hired first and promoted sooner. Having been in the workforce for 20 years now I have witnessed these things first hand. Having worked in the Criminal Justice field for 13 of those years I can tell you that a police officer, correctional officer, or social worker, etc. maintain a different perspective of people in society. You may have met people you think are inferior to you but you don't know anything about a person until you have been with them in an extreme situation. You know little about yourself until you have been there. One of the most important lessons I have learned over the years is humility.My balls are my business.

By the way, Lyndon B. Johnson was considered a great president and won the presidency by a huge margin in 1964 after completing Kennedy's term. Richard Nixon lost narrowly to John F. Kennedy and was the only person to be elected twice to the presidency and the vice presidency. John F. Kennedy, good looking or not, was shot and killed in 1963. If we were all so shallow Sarah Palin would have one the presidency for John McCain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

arw2009 in Florence, Kentucky

43 months ago

i am pretty sure Thomas would flunk the mental evaluation..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

BuckeyeTrent in Ohio

43 months ago

Plan on paying your dues before going to narcotics.

To get your foot in the door start by better preparing yourself...get some education or at least start, do some ride-alongs, get in better shape, and prepare for the oral board. When you get to the oral board that is where you win your job. There are questions, answers, and strategies at: www.winyourbadge.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blessing in Pretoria, South Africa

42 months ago

HI, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING THIS JOB SUCH A LONG TIME , I'VE GOT A DIPLOMA IN POLICE & TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT BUT I'M SURFFURING TO FIND THE JOB , MYB SOME BODY CAN HELP ME , MY EMAIL BLESSINGSKHAKHANE@YAHOO.COM THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cheddarbob in Pearland, Texas

40 months ago

Can a police officer have 2 jobs? For example, Be a detective and then work as an administrator for a school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rail Roader in Fort Worth, Texas

40 months ago

Depends on the agency. A lot of agencies will allow you to moonlight as long as the position does not require you to use your authority as a law enforecement officer or will not place you in a position where the agency or you can fall under civil action because of your duties at the other job. Of couse, most agencies want you to make your law enforcement job your priority. Being a law enforcement officer sometimes means long hours or being called in during emergency situations. that is one side, and then there are a lot of agencies that will allow you to work outside of your regular assignment as added security for schools, churches, events, or apartment complexes to have a greater police presence in the community that they don't have to pay for. I know of a lot of officers that do that in hour community and with their regular salary they make a very nice living. I guess what I am saying is that it mostly depends on the policy of the agency you are applying to or the administrator who is running the agency at the time. When I worked for the Feds I was not allowed. When I worked for the state it wasn't an issue at all. Good luck, we need good cops and good role models in the community.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brian in Irving, Texas

38 months ago

NathanNiel in Los Angeles said: Hi,

Since you have crossed the age limit of Texas you are not able to apply for police recruitment. You can try for other jobs in traffic management.

44 for Dallas.

robocop in Atlanta, Georgia

38 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: Are middle aged people considered for law enforcement careers? I worked in corrections for 13 and 1/2 years. I left it for the rail road a few years ago and I got laid off because of the economy. I always wanted to be a police officer but I got hired by the prison system when I graduated from college and I just never got out of it until the Rail Road offered me big bucks to come and work for them. I have applied to several police departments since I was laid off and I just haven't gotten any offers. I am considering paying my own way through the police officer academy at the community college but I am a little afraid of spending the time and money, and then never getting a job. I am afraid that maybe I am being rejected because I am too old to start this as a career. Can anyone give me any advice in this area. I have a solid work history, clean back ground, good credit history, and I'm not crazy. There really is no reason I shouldn't be hired that I can think of.

Try applying for a job as a police officer at one your local colleges or universities; they usually don't have an age requirement and the work is not as dangerous or stressful.

david.morales in Apo

37 months ago

Hello ,

Im a combat engineer in the U S Army. I am currently deployed in Afganistan and have about 11 months for my ets when I get back home. I was considering not re-enlisting and applying for a job with a local police department. I am trying to put my ducks in a row so i can provide security for my family. I do have prior credit issues before i joined the army. In my 3 year term I have had no credit issues and am wondering if bad credit would hinder me from persuing my career as a police officer. Becoming a police officer has has been my life long dream but with having to support my family I havent been able to persue my dream. I have worked several jobs in the past and really havent had a stable job due to economy,down sizing and meeting the needs to support my family. I am stable in the army and would have my 3 year contract completed in 2013. I was wondering about getting advice on what I should do to insure my families stability. Having a position secure with a police department and finally persuing my dream of becoming a police officer. I have a clean driving record and a clean background with no problems with the law. I also have some college ,about 36 credits and I took 3 classes one of which was a introduction to criminal justice class. A few questions are, How long is the police academy? Does my 3 year of military active duty help me in persuing my dream as a a police officer? Does my 1 year deployment in Afganistan help my experience for my resume. Will VA help assist me in finding a job as a police officer? Will my GI Bill help me with school and the cost of living when i get out? I am trying to make sure there is no loss of income to my family for persuing my dream as I am married for 7 years and have two wonderful children. I want to make sure that me wanting to persue my dream does not come at their expense...

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.