Can I get a job as a police officer at the age of 40?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 64 of 64)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas

35 months ago

First of all, Thank you for your service to our country. From what you have posted I would say that you should be alright. If you have any credit issues now or lingering ones from the past get them cleaned up. If asked be honest about them and be able to show that they have been corrected. In the past I would have said that having an unstable work history takes away points but not in this day and age with the economy and job situation the way that it is. If you are able I would suggest you at least complete an associates degree and yes your GI bill should cover your education expenses. Go to your learning institution's financial aid office to get some guidance on how to use it. Secondly, I would say do not pursue a degree in criminal justice. It doesn't make you as marketable as degree with an emphasis in math, psychology, or business. Most police academies are between 6 and 9 months depending on the agencies you are applying for. I think that if you pay for one yourself at a community college they are 6 months. Being a military veteran gives you a huge advantage over those who are not without a doubt and being a combat veteran is a plus for sure. Becoming a police officer does create a living wage for you to raise a family on. I would say that if your wife does not work you will struggle. Even with two incomes you won't be rich but you'll be comfortable. Being a police officer requires some personal sacrifice and a cop's family has to incur some of that sacrifice. It can be a tough job at times and there are things you will see and experience that you will never forget. So your decision to pursue a career in law enforcement has to be a family decision, be aware of that. Start getting into shape now if you are not already. The academic work load will be a strain if you are constantly uncomfortable because of the physical training. The hiring process in most cases takes a year to 18 months. Get in shape and stay in shape during that time. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

robocop in Stockbridge, Georgia

34 months ago

cheddarbob in Pearland, Texas said: Can a police officer have 2 jobs? For example, Be a detective and then work as an administrator for a school?

It is possible for a police officer to have 2 jobs. The question that remains to be answered is if your administator's job conflict with
your shift as a police officer. Also your chief will have to approve
your "secondary employment" with the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KSLeo in Derby, Kansas

34 months ago

robocop in Stockbridge, Georgia said: It is possible for a police officer to have 2 jobs. The question that remains to be answered is if your administator's job conflict with
your shift as a police officer. Also your chief will have to approve
your "secondary employment" with the school.

Two job possible? It's almost a necessity! Most policies will require your Chief to approve it, and it would have to work with your shift schedule. But the simple answer is yes.

Even with my wife's income, it's a little tight without my second job income.

Didn't become a cop to get rich..

Skygazer in Clementon, New Jersey

31 months ago

How is your search going? I'm in a similar situation, but even older. i have my degrees up to a Masters and will be retiring in a bout a year. I'm looking into the NPS and considering using all my leave to put myself through the academy. I was wondering how you got on. Email me at skygazer32@hotmail.com

robocop in Collierville, Tennessee

31 months ago

KSLeo in Derby, Kansas said: Two job possible? It's almost a necessity! Most policies will require your Chief to approve it, and it would have to work with your shift schedule. But the simple answer is yes.

Even with my wife's income, it's a little tight without my second job income.

Didn't become a cop to get rich..

lol. NO ONE becomes a cop to get rich.....

J-W in Washington, District of Columbia

30 months ago

Different police departments have different requirements. Some do, but many police departments do not have a maximum age limit for applicants. For example, some have applicant age limits of 25, 37, or 45. Most departments in the United States do not have maximum age limits. All else being equal, some agencies would rather hire a 40 year old as opposed to a 21 year old due to things such as life experience and maturity level. Having college can surely increase your chances of getting a police officer job. Getting police officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Have you considered relocating if possible? Best of luck!

Source:
www.peaceofficerjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Baltimore, Maryland

30 months ago

Is being an FBI Special Agent the best law enforcement job possible? A lot of people I've talked to say it's better than being a local cop. Can anyone please provide information as to whether or not that's true?

RianaJC in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Can somebody tell me if can still be a police officer at the age of 29? I've always wanted to be one, but due to my legal status in this country I couldnt!! Now that I just become legal weeks ago, I would like to try.. Hopefully its not too late!!

skygazer32 in Moorestown, New Jersey

28 months ago

RianaJC in Los Angeles, California said: Can somebody tell me if can still be a police officer at the age of 29? I've always wanted to be one, but due to my legal status in this country I couldnt!! Now that I just become legal weeks ago, I would like to try.. Hopefully its not too late!!

Yup. At the age of 29 you should have no problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

GoLawEnforcement in Madison, Wisconsin

16 months ago

There are 2 types of positions, sworn and non-sworn. Age limits usually apply to sworn positions, those armed and with arrest powers. Minimum requirements, including maximum and minimum age limits are set by the state POST agency (Peace Officer Standards and Training). Local agencies may set higher standards that those established by the state POST agency. Therefore, the first thing to check is the POST age requirements in your state by going the POST website in your state. If you meet their minimum requirements, next check with agencies that you are interested in applying with. If you meet the state requirements but not your local agencies, keep checking around to find an agency as each will vary. If you do not meet the state's minimum requirements, consider looking at non-sworn positions. More information is at www.golawenforcement.com

Future87 in Modesto, California

13 months ago

Can I still become a cop even though I was detained in highschool for mentioning that I had suicidal thoughts. It's been six years now since it happen

funmnm in Santa Rosa, California

5 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: Are middle aged people considered for law enforcement careers? I worked in corrections for 13 and 1/2 years. I left it for the rail road a few years ago and I got laid off because of the economy. I always wanted to be a police officer but I got hired by the prison system when I graduated from college and I just never got out of it until the Rail Road offered me big bucks to come and work for them. I have applied to several police departments since I was laid off and I just haven't gotten any offers. I am considering paying my own way through the police officer academy at the community college but I am a little afraid of spending the time and money, and then never getting a job. I am afraid that maybe I am being rejected because I am too old to start this as a career. Can anyone give me any advice in this area. I have a solid work history, clean back ground, good credit history, and I'm not crazy. There really is no reason I shouldn't be hired that I can think of.
The answer is still not clear, I am a year old woman with no law enforcement back round, and am very interested in starting a new career. My question is,"Is there a law enforcement agency,and/or job within an agency that would allow a woman my age to apply?" By the way, I am in great physical condition and have no physical restrictions that would prevent me from doing the job. I realize that various agencies have various qualifications, therefore, I would appreciate someone that might know which, if any would accept me into an academy, or any position within their department. I just hope it's not too late for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

funmnm in Santa Rosa, California

5 months ago

I apologize, I didn't input my age... It is 46...LOL

love_thy_neighbour2 in Hayes, United Kingdom

5 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: Are middle agedistory, and I'm not crazy. There really is no reason I shouldn't be hired that I can think of.

Depends on the rules of the particular forces and branch, and what you can offer, and your enthusiasm and fitness. Please email the police academy.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.