Can I get a job as a police officer at the age of 40?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 52 of 52)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

kekangx in Lawndale, California

9 months ago

turbo in Closter, New Jersey said: I tend to agree with most of Rail Roader's postings except for the part that military experience is valued more than a Bachelor's degree. In the past military experience gave applicants an edge because many who possessed college degrees chose different professions. However, now studies have shown that a college graduate has outperformed police officers without a degree as far as professionalism and promotions within the department. In fact, the number of applicants with graduate degrees are also rising. The reason I know this is because this is being taught in criminal justice classes. Now if you have a degree as well as a military background that's an added bonus.

I know I'm replying to an old post here...But I don't buy this entirely. Your statement on "college educated officers perform better than non-college educated officers," is very generalized, and I would like to see your source on this.

Does this also apply to lateral officers with experience, former military personnel (military police, security forces), or a private security officer? I strongly doubt that and disbelieve a person fresh out of college will have the same experience as mentioned above.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

kekangx in Lawndale, California

9 months ago

muskytips17 in Burlington, Wisconsin said: I'm wondering the same thing. Would I have a better chance if I applied to an inner city department in say Milwaukee or Chicago?

Those departments are usually bigger than your local ones. Meaning, they'll hire about 200-300 applicants out of a pool of 5000 or so, rather than 1-2 from a pool of 2500 as with smaller departments.

Your chances are higher by applying to a bigger department

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.