How do I find and get a postal job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

David Muncy in Abingdon, Virginia

110 months ago

I have been breaking my back in a factory for the past 5 years and it is going no where. I saw an ad in the paper for a rural carrier. I took the test and I made a pretty good score. Now i don't know how to get a job. I have went to my local post office and they really didn't tell me anything about getting a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

margaret fortney in Rudolph, Ohio

107 months ago

Iwould like to start working for postal,but Idont known how to get started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

-indeedhost in Austin, Texas

107 months ago

Here is some information about postal worker jobs http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos141.htm and here is the online application http://www.usps.com/employment/welcome.htm Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

sharon in Richmond, Virginia

104 months ago

I just received a notice to interview for a postal carrier position as a part time flexable employee with benefits. Can anyone share their experiences as a postal carrier. I have a secure job with benefits but it has an ambiguous advancement policy, if any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas

104 months ago

sharon in Richmond, Virginia said: I just received a notice to interview for a postal carrier position as a part time flexable employee with benefits. Can anyone share their experiences as a postal carrier. I have a secure job with benefits but it has an ambiguous advancement policy, if any.

If you get a postal vehicle you are okay, but a lot of rural carrier jobs require you to learn to drive your own car while sitting in the front passenger seat. I'm not kidding. You get paid by a rate that is set for a particular route. If you can sort and deliver the route (70 pounds of mail) in 8 hours, then fine.. if it takes you until 9PM that night, you get paid the same and if you can't learn to do it in 8 hours you are outta there. The part time flexible usually means you MIGHT work a week here and there when someone wants a week vacation but wait a minute, that's not all.... Each time you go to sub for a different person it means a different route. So... if you can put up with only working one or two weeks a month and memorize ten different routes and can afford to buy a right hand drive vehicle that you will find impossible to sell to anybody else, then go for it. Advancement? There is no such thing unless you have been there longer than anyone else AND the postmaster dies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

D'Mario Maurice Osley in North Las Vegas, Nevada

102 months ago

I am seeking more information how to get started as a postal worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Woods in Toms River, New Jersey

96 months ago

David Muncy in Abingdon, Virginia said: I have been breaking my back in a factory for the past 5 years and it is going no where. I saw an ad in the paper for a rural carrier. I took the test and I made a pretty good score. Now i don't know how to get a job. I have went to my local post office and they really didn't tell me anything about getting a job.

In New Jersey you wait for orientation notice to come in the mail.Could be months and only if you scored high enough. Find out where your main offices are.Mine here is in Edison about an hour away. You can write a letter to Human resources letting them know you are still interested in employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

margaret martin in Atlanta, Georgia

95 months ago

These type of comments are sometimes not useful and hurt the team work abilities of the present employees.The comment should be directed toward the views of the union of the united postal worker for rather answers. We would not want the Post Office Employees to go on strike.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Postalmaniac in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

David Muncy in Abingdon, Virginia said: I have been breaking my back in a factory for the past 5 years and it is going no where. I saw an ad in the paper for a rural carrier. I took the test and I made a pretty good score. Now i don't know how to get a job. I have went to my local post office and they really didn't tell me anything about getting a job.

You are better off working in the private sector. Postal employees are kicked around by their bosses. Their own recourse is to file a grievance through the union, but that will go nowhere because the union has no power. Management is not afraid of the union because it is illegal for postal workers to strike. If you want a beeter job, go back to school or look elsewhere in the private section. Do yourself a big favor and stay away from the Postal Service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tiredpostal in Chula Vista, California

67 months ago

if you want to get used and abused and have get paid, this is the job for you, i hope you have the mentality to work for the postal service. Listen to postalmaniac he is right in every way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

g1attie in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

If you started 12 years ago. I find it hard to believe, you were making 22 bucks/hour. 11 years ago I started out making 15 bucks/hour as a city carrier. Top rate is around 28 bucks/hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.