Need some advice on which route to take- thanks in advance

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

chuck in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

19 months ago

I had a couple questions about pursuing a Ptec degree. Im currently living in Baton Rouge and have a couple of buddies that are operators in Brusly and Port Allen working for DOW.So i am familiar with the plant life and what to expect.
I have been in school since 2010 pursuing a business major and currently have about 65 credited hours.
I know to many people that have received a 4 year degree at LSU and still cant find a well paying job. Its even hard to find a job for people with their masters.
Anyways im done pursuing my business degree and headed towards the PTEC route; and need some advice.
Baton Rouge community college has a PTEC program and also ITI which is located in Baton Rouge as well.
I have already completed the prereqs to be accepted to both ITI and BRCC but after completing my degree what would a company prefer? a PTEC degree from ITI or a degree from Baton Rouge community college?
Last question - What should i do with my 65 credited hours in my business degree? would it be worth to even receive an associates in business; or put me at an advantage over someone that just has a PTEC degree? Some of my credits will transfer for PTEC but i dont want 30-40 hours to go down the drain.

Id appreciate the input from you guys. Trying to find out what road to take in life and could use the help. Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wmrcer in Houston, Texas

19 months ago

I had the exact same story as you. I too, was going for business degree, then started looking at possible jobs with that degree. I figured with the business degree i was most likly to get a job that would pay around 40,000 a year and probably bounce between companies. That would have been with a bachelors, and the added expense with a four year tuition. I figured with the 61 hours that I already had I could knock out the ptec degree within 3 semesters get out into an industry that is GROWING and make 60,000 my first year , recieve excellant benefits, and can get 20-30 years with a company all with a 2 year degree. It was a no brainer once I figured it all out. I say go for it!

Ps I start at lyondell in March. Best decison I think I made with my education is get into ptec.

Nate in Bozeman, Montana

19 months ago

Same story here I must have changed majors about 3 times...currently have about 71 credit hours towards pre-nursing but I dont like it anymore. Going to be starting PTEC classes this summer out of Bismarck state college and will graduate in spring with AAS provided everything goes well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LSUfan71 in Watson, Louisiana

17 months ago

chuck in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: ...Baton Rouge community college has a PTEC program and also ITI which is located in Baton Rouge as well.
I have already completed the prereqs to be accepted to both ITI and BRCC but after completing my degree what would a company prefer? a PTEC degree from ITI or a degree from Baton Rouge community college?

As long as you do well in either program the plants are hiring. I suggest choosing the school that's closest to you. And ITI will cost you about three times as much as BRCC though.

I'm currently in the PTEC program at BRCC. I chose BRCC initially because it's a much shorter drive than ITI. It was later that I learned of the cost differences. But like I said, good students/good people doing well in any of the programs will be hired.

LSUfan71 in Watson, Louisiana

17 months ago

Definitely so. Lots of hiring going on along the Mississippi River area. Cheniere will be hiring in 2014 for their new plant in the Sabine Pass area. Also, Noble Energy gave a presentation at BRCC, they'll be hiring in the Colorado area in 2014. The next few years will be huge for those going into Process Operations.

www.nobleenergyinc.com/fw/main/iRecruitment-101.html

www.cheniere.com/employment/employment_opportunities.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Houston, Texas

6 months ago

John in Itatiba, Brazil said: Hey Nate I start the Bismarck PTec May 15th going in with 42 credits, and tons of work business experience, 12yrs+ but done with banks, and excited about PTEC....do you know anyone that has gone through the program? THey landing jobs out of there?? from Placement reports it looks like just about everyone is landing a job....well if you read this send me an email and lets keep in touch John.p.Tumminello@gmail.com Im a native New Yorker and do not know anyone in the energy business, looking to build a new network of friend in a new industry.....keep in touch and best of luck to you.....Also LSUFAN71 I am looking to relocate to Baton Rouge or the Gulf Region to be closer to the plants, do you feel that is a huge advantage?? Good luck all!!

Hey John hows the program going? I plan on attending bismarck Ptec program as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.