Process Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 9118)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

so i should look into another career? And as far as engineering goes I currently have 60 attempted hrs (45 actual) id be looking at 4 more years at the very least which is about 120 hrs. plus the 2 more years at a different college to grab the final 2 in engineering so id be paying out of state tuition that comes out to about 10,000 a semester. Guys this is honestly all Ive got unless i can become a lineman (electrical) or a x ray tech. I haven't slept well in the last 5 days worrying about this. All i have left in life is manual labor and damn if i didn't have higher expectations. But now i gotta be a man and suck it up. You cant support a family these days making only 40 thou a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NDTinspector85 in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas said: so i should look into another career? And as far as engineering goes I currently have 60 attempted hrs (45 actual) id be looking at 4 more years at the very least which is about 120 hrs. plus the 2 more years at a different college to grab the final 2 in engineering so id be paying out of state tuition that comes out to about 10,000 a semester. Guys this is honestly all Ive got unless i can become a lineman (electrical) or a x ray tech. I haven't slept well in the last 5 days worrying about this. All i have left in life is manual labor and damn if i didn't have higher expectations. But now i gotta be a man and suck it up. You cant support a family these days making only 40 thou a year.

I would try to get a operators job now and see if you can land one without going to san jac and some company for your education if you work for them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2chase3 in League City, Texas

45 months ago

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas said: so i should look into another career? And as far as engineering goes I currently have 60 attempted hrs (45 actual) id be looking at 4 more years at the very least which is about 120 hrs. plus the 2 more years at a different college to grab the final 2 in engineering so id be paying out of state tuition that comes out to about 10,000 a semester. Guys this is honestly all Ive got unless i can become a lineman (electrical) or a x ray tech. I haven't slept well in the last 5 days worrying about this. All i have left in life is manual labor and damn if i didn't have higher expectations. But now i gotta be a man and suck it up. You cant support a family these days making only 40 thou a year.

I think your math is incorrect You currently have 45 hrs. (65) attempted guessing you have possibly a low 3 to high 2 GPA..This being if you did not drop saving the 6 drop limit.

I so hope it doesn't take you 4 years for another 75 hours.. yet I must missed if you were shooting for your BA or Masters (which you know by now they are leaning heavily for 6 yrs to be state licensed. My advice ...suck it up and stay on path even if you gotta dredge through a dead end job to meet your goals...stay focused!..each semester brings you closer to where your gonna be...

In ten years your still gonna be here..as A linemen, operator or engineer...its your choice. What do you require out of life?

What discipline of Engineering you considering? And if you live in Houston why would you have to move??..UofH Cullen College of Engineering...???...Why move??

TomTom in Groves, Texas

45 months ago

Listen to what "Old Timer" says.He's an experienced retired supervisor.You shouldn't sacrifice your health and family for a job.There are plenty of other careers out there.I have alot from friends that are divorced that are process operators.I've personally spoke to some old process operators and they advised that if you're still young,go for an engineering degree instead of the two year ptech or choose another career.You can have a nice 400k house,but you don't know about the other guy fcuking your wife in your house while your constantly at work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NDTinspector85 in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

TomTom in Groves, Texas said: Listen to what "Old Timer" says.He's an experienced retired supervisor.You shouldn't sacrifice your health and family for a job.There are plenty of other careers out there.I have alot from friends that are divorced that are process operators.I've personally spoke to some old process operators and they advised that if you're still young,go for an engineering degree instead of the two year ptech or choose another career.You can have a nice 400k house,but you don't know about the other guy fcuking your wife in your house while your constantly at work

I think you are being a lil harsh
I grew up in a family full of operators who do suggest you get your engineering degree but i think its where you work I have two cousins who started out as operators and the companies they work for paid for their education and now they are engineer and they both did it right out of high school and it took them less than 7 yrs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TomTom in Groves, Texas

45 months ago

Congrats to your cousins NDTinspector.Their company has great benefits.No universities in my area accept ptech courses as transfer credit to a engineering degree though,only core classes transfer.However,they have a 2+2 program,2 year ptech degree+2 years at university= Bachelors in Industrial technology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terry68 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

45 months ago

I'm not sure if I missed this or not do you get paid for the Shell internships?

dragon in Seabrook, Texas

45 months ago

Bigiron in Houston, Texas said: It's REALLY hard to get an operators job here in Houston , you have to KNOW someone , I would love to make this career change, but really don't have any connections , thinking about going back to school !!

I knew no one after I finished my PTEC degree. I was hired based on my 3.8 GPA in college. I worked very hard to get good grades. I am making $128,000/year after 3 years. $35/ hour and almost $50.00/hour on time and a half. On holidays I get almost $100.00/hour. That is living the dream dude. Not bad for a 2 year degree plan with NO calculus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kinglineman79 in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I knew no one after I finished my PTEC degree. I was hired based on my 3.8 GPA in college. I worked very hard to get good grades. I am making $128,000/year after 3 years. $35/ hour and almost $50.00/hour on time and a half. On holidays I get almost $100.00/hour. That is living the dream dude. Not bad for a 2 year degree plan with NO calculus.

what are your hours like and what are your benefits ? Are you unionized?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

I recieved a job offer to work for shell in Norco LA. I start july 11 and i graduate in Aug. I can tell you that i didnt know anyone but Jesus. If you work hard and give 100 percent the interview you will get the job. I sold myself in the interview. You have to remember that we are the product and the company is the consumer. We must give them a reason to hire us. Its more than just a good g.p.a.. Its must tell them how you are on the inside, you have do things above what is required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I knew no one after I finished my PTEC degree. I was hired based on my 3.8 GPA in college. I worked very hard to get good grades. I am making $128,000/year after 3 years. $35/ hour and almost $50.00/hour on time and a half. On holidays I get almost $100.00/hour. That is living the dream dude. Not bad for a 2 year degree plan with NO calculus.

WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas said: WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?

i agree i didnt know anyone. i knew God AND HARD WORK.

Andre Beraud@MR.FO.C.U.S. in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

I can tell everyone that landed a job is hard work, but it can be done with persistance and consistancy. i applied for over 100 jobs before i had my first mechanical test with Chevron Phillips in Orange tx. i pass the simulators and i was ready for the interview. i didnt get the job, but door begin to open for me. you have to realize that persistance wear out resistance. if you stay with it, you will succeed. i apply for chevron over 20 times, i apply for conoco phillips over 30 times and on my 20th time i took the test, had a interview and they didnt hire me. Yes i was disappointed, i began to question if i would ever get a job, but i didnt give up and i Thank GOD. i APPLY FOR shell over 24 times and on the 22 time i went to norco la for a interview and 2 days later they call me and offer me the job. i am a living witness hard work pays off and you dont have to know anyone but Jesus. Amen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

45 months ago

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas said: I recieved a job offer to work for shell in Norco LA. I start july 11 and i graduate in Aug. I can tell you that i didnt know anyone but Jesus. If you work hard and give 100 percent the interview you will get the job. I sold myself in the interview. You have to remember that we are the product and the company is the consumer. We must give them a reason to hire us. Its more than just a good g.p.a.. Its must tell them how you are on the inside, you have do things above what is required.

good luck fellow shell worker I just got on at shell motiva and I dont finsh school until september and your right about everything you said. you get out of it what you put in to it work hard and you get rewarded

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: good luck fellow shell worker I just got on at shell motiva and I dont finsh school until september and your right about everything you said. you get out of it what you put in to it work hard and you get rewarded

WHICH LOCATION DO YOU WORK AT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas said: I beg to differ. Of course most plants would prefer the degree over the certificate , but the certificate is enough for some plants. I know several fellow students that were hired recently with just the certificate and no experience (actually they don't have it until December). If you can get the degree, get it. If you can only get the certificate, then get that. There are going to be many openings in the next few years as many operators have reached retirement age and are ready to retire, but can't because of the economy. But then again, who knows when that will improve?

i believe you need to get the two year degree.

Missbrown in Desoto, Texas

45 months ago

I'm still looking. I would like to use my degree, although I work in the lab right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Missbrown in Desoto, Texas

45 months ago

Desoto??? Where'd that come from? I'm in Baytown.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Andre Beraud in Houston, Texas said: I recieved a job offer to work for shell in Norco LA. I start july 11 and i graduate in Aug. I can tell you that i didnt know anyone but Jesus. If you work hard and give 100 percent the interview you will get the job. I sold myself in the interview. You have to remember that we are the product and the company is the consumer. We must give them a reason to hire us. Its more than just a good g.p.a.. Its must tell them how you are on the inside, you have do things above what is required.

Larhonda in Houston Tx said; You are excactly right Mr.Beraud I haved learned that when you are turned down from a particular job offer.Use every No as Motivation and Keep pushing at it. Perfect your skill, Preparation+Oppurtunity=Success. Thats why you are the person we have today because u took everthing it tooks no matter what without giving up. God Bless you!!!!!!!!!

45 months ago

Missbrown in Desoto, Texas said: I'm still looking. I would like to use my degree, although I work in the lab right now.

Whatever you do, dont give up looking for a process tech job. The jobs are out there, you just have to go and get them.

45 months ago

Andre Beraud@MR.FO.C.U.S. in Houston, Texas said: Larhonda in Houston Tx said; You are excactly right Mr.Beraud I haved learned that when you are turned down from a particular job offer.Use every No as Motivation and Keep pushing at it. Perfect your skill, Preparation+Oppurtunity=Success. Thats why you are the person we have today because u took everthing it tooks no matter what without giving up. God Bless you!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you Larhonda. You can be a operator also. Go and get it.

Operatorjoe in Metairie, Louisiana

45 months ago

Pretty interesting read these comments when I'm working nights as an Operator. Be ready for your lives to change.

44 months ago

Chris in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I am currently in school, working toward a PTEC degree. I have a few questions.

I know it varies, but, typically, what is the average starting pay, for a process technician. What does pay typically top off at, or does it top off? Are there specific pay scales, or do you receive a percentage pay raise, every year. If someone starts at $22/hr, what would they typically be making 5 years, 10 years, 20 years later?

I've seen some great salaries posted by process technicians. I've heard, on more than one occassion, of guys pulling in $90-$100K+. I'm wondering -- to pull in that kind of money, does it require constant over-time?

Just trying to get a gouge og pay. I've done research, and it all points to this being a great paying career, but most of the pay refers to starting pay, and doesn't mention expectations, beyong that. Such as, once you've been a process technician for 5-10+ years, etc.

hey chris do you have your ptec degree yet. are you working for a company yet.

44 months ago

Is there anyone out there who is working for shell right now. Can someone explain to me what should i expect when i start work on July 11.2011 in Norco LA. Thanks for the advice in advanced.

44 months ago

Operatorjoe in Metairie, Louisiana said: Pretty interesting read these comments when I'm working nights as an Operator. Be ready for your lives to change.

Can you go into details. Where are you working? Why would our lives change.

Operatorjoe in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

Because once you become a shift worker it's a new lifestyle. While you're working others are sleep or while you're sleep for are working. Being on shift you're going to give up your weekends as well. I get mine off at times but usually I get one full weekend off a month. That is hard when you have other obligations. Getting off of work at 4 or 5 in the morning the. Going home for a bit of rest can be hard. I like it myself while some have a hard time adjusting. Shoot sometimes I'll work nights get off one morning then the next day I'm back working days.

The money can be addicting like on any job. Work an extra day or two and you get an extra grand or more on your check gets you. Folks call it the gold hand cuffs.

Wherever you work show initiative in learning your unit and take interest in what older operators have to say!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dragon in Seabrook, Texas

44 months ago

I worked alot of overtime, but last year I made $142,000.00 at $34.00/hour. I missed every holiday because of seniority. Almost half my gross pay was overtime or doubletime pay.It was rough, I can't lie. Where else can you do that with only an Associate's Degree? I have been on this job for 2 years, and now training for a Console Operator job in the Central Control Room. Not bad for a country boy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I worked alot of overtime, but last year I made $142,000.00 at $34.00/hour. I missed every holiday because of seniority. Almost half my gross pay was overtime or doubletime pay.It was rough, I can't lie. Where else can you do that with only an Associate's Degree? I have been on this job for 2 years, and now training for a Console Operator job in the Central Control Room. Not bad for a country boy.

thanks a lot for the information. i will be making 21.58 for 6 weeks and than after 6 weeks i will move up to 26.58. how long does it take before a person will start working overtime.

44 months ago

You can work OT when you train and qualify on your first job. Take your test as well as a walk around. Don't let them rush you on your training. Once you sign off the job is yours.

Biostudent in Groves, Texas

44 months ago

Operatorjoe, may I have your email address?I'd like to ask you some questions about my future and need your help.Thanks.

44 months ago

Samkat04@gmail.com

44 months ago

bcorley said: I understand.. do you have the process degree? I graduated in may and no luck so far.. I'm in nederland so I'm in the same boat you are.. Best advice I can give is to apply every chance you get.. most of my applications and testing were for Houston companies.. The golden triangle is hurting right now... Especially with all the cutbacks on expansions but motiva is still full speed ahead with there's so hopefully it will turn around this year and some more people will retire that couldn't in 08 and 09

have you found a job yet

44 months ago

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas said: Just landed an internship with Shell in Deer Park. They will hire 22 of the 25 interns. If anyone works there, a heads up on what to expect would be great. Is there any overtime available for new hires beyond the regular shift schedule?

how is work going for you?

44 months ago

Operatorjoe in Houston, Texas said: You can work OT when you train and qualify on your first job. Take your test as well as a walk around. Don't let them rush you on your training. Once you sign off the job is yours.

how did it take before you were qualify on your first job?

44 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I worked alot of overtime, but last year I made $142,000.00 at $34.00/hour. I missed every holiday because of seniority. Almost half my gross pay was overtime or doubletime pay.It was rough, I can't lie. Where else can you do that with only an Associate's Degree? I have been on this job for 2 years, and now training for a Console Operator job in the Central Control Room. Not bad for a country boy.

What company do you work for? What location?

44 months ago

I start work in July. i will be working for shell in norco la.

44 months ago

bcorley in Nederland, Texas said: Graduated in May 2009 from Lamar Institute of Technology with an Associate's in Process Tech, and I am STILL looking for a job. Can't find anything in Beaumont/Port Arthur or Houston. I graduated with Honors and close to the top of my class. I have gotten a few interviews but no offers. It seems like they are only hiring operators with experience, instead of fresh graduates. I was always told it would be the other way around. Its getting very frustrating, especially when you are interviewing at plants where you have family members working and still can't get on. Any advice?

i start work in July and i gradutate in Aug. i will be working for shell in Norco LA. HOW many interviews have you been on. dont give up.

rcally in Huntington Beach, California

44 months ago

Operatorjoe in Houston, Texas said: Because once you become a shift worker it's a new lifestyle. While you're working others are sleep or while you're sleep for are working. Being on shift you're going to give up your weekends as well. I get mine off at times but usually I get one full weekend off a month. That is hard when you have other obligations. Getting off of work at 4 or 5 in the morning the. Going home for a bit of rest can be hard. I like it myself while some have a hard time adjusting. Shoot sometimes I'll work nights get off one morning then the next day I'm back working days.

The money can be addicting like on any job. Work an extra day or two and you get an extra grand or more on your check gets you. Folks call it the gold hand cuffs.

Wherever you work show initiative in learning your unit and take interest in what older operators have to say!

i completley agree although im not a full timer yet i interned with chevron for 3 months and it can get brutal on 3 nights and then a day and a half to g=switch over to days for 2 more but then.. like 4 days off hahaha but ya the money can get incredible. i have alot of family in different refineries doing different things. and yes i have a 2 yr degree in process technology but the school i went to didnt really have as much in with the companies like Harbor school or other schools. im glad i invested time and money but maybe i could of gona to better equipped school to get hired out of school

44 months ago

rcally in Huntington Beach, California said: i completley agree although im not a full timer yet i interned with chevron for 3 months and it can get brutal on 3 nights and then a day and a half to g=switch over to days for 2 more but then.. like 4 days off hahaha but ya the money can get incredible. i have alot of family in different refineries doing different things. and yes i have a 2 yr degree in process technology but the school i went to didnt really have as much in with the companies like Harbor school or other schools. im glad i invested time and money but maybe i could of gona to better equipped school to get hired out of school

and i also graduated like 2 yrs ago ive passed he chevron exxon and shell tests. had one interveiw with chevron in march but havent heard anything yet when others have gotten the "email of death" so im not getting too excited but it could finally be my time.and i also agree you get disheartend by you have to persevere and keep up. i gotten countless emails from connocophillips telling me i cant even go test and its like WHY NOT!? WHAT R THEY LOOKING ?! but then a job pops up with exxon or chevron. the avg age of an employee is 55 and they would of retired 2 or 3 yrs ago but their retirement is in stocks which obv is down. but i think their starting to retire and companies like this need to get some new blood

44 months ago

rcally in Huntington Beach, California said: and i also graduated like 2 yrs ago ive passed he chevron exxon and shell tests. had one interveiw with chevron in march but havent heard anything yet when others have gotten the "email of death" so im not getting too excited but it could finally be my time.and i also agree you get disheartend by you have to persevere and keep up. i gotten countless emails from connocophillips telling me i cant even go test and its like WHY NOT!? WHAT R THEY LOOKING ?! but then a job pops up with exxon or chevron. the avg age of an employee is 55 and they would of retired 2 or 3 yrs ago but their retirement is in stocks which obv is down. but i think their starting to retire and companies like this need to get some new blood

dont give my brother. you will find a job. you have to stay focus and have your mind made up

44 months ago

The Bible states that we reap what we sow. The most fertile soil in the world is barren unless seeds have been properly planted, cultivated, and nurtured. The relationship between giving and getting is constant in everything you do. To succeed in any endeavor, you must first invest a generous portion of your time and talents if you expect ever to earn a return on your investment. You have to give before you get. It's all a matter of attitude. You may occasionally be disappointed if you are not rewarded for your efforts, but if you demand payment for your services before you render them, you can expect a lifetime of disappointment and frustration. If you cheerfully do your best before asking for any compensation, you can expect a bountiful harvest of the greatest rewards life has to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Operatorjoe in Nederland, Texas

44 months ago

Dude leave that bible stuff off here. This is a job forum. To the guy talking about retirements. Most guys are going to retire at 58 to get full benefits. Also at XOM workers don't retire by what the stock market is doing. Also if you apply there it will take awhile to get on. #just saying

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

dude you cant tell me to leave the bible off here. God is the reason everyone is here. plus i have a job. you need to know the different between source and resource buddy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Operatorjoe in Nederland, Texas said: Dude leave that bible stuff off here. This is a job forum. To the guy talking about retirements. Most guys are going to retire at 58 to get full benefits. Also at XOM workers don't retire by what the stock market is doing. Also if you apply there it will take awhile to get on. #just saying

dude you cant tell me to leave the bible off here. God is the reason everyone is here. plus i have a job. you need to know the different between source and resource buddy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Operatorjoe in Nederland, Texas said: Dude leave that bible stuff off here. This is a job forum. To the guy talking about retirements. Most guys are going to retire at 58 to get full benefits. Also at XOM workers don't retire by what the stock market is doing. Also if you apply there it will take awhile to get on. #just saying

ya man im not saying ppl r for sure going to retire around 50 or 60 and to be honest with you ive never heard of xom. ive been trying to find new companies to start applying to but have found few other than the main stream companies. ill check into xom though thanks.and ya i know it takes quite a long time to get in all the way anywehre from 6 to 12 months

44 months ago

Also search for job agencies in coastal cities. That is what I did back in the day. Also check on the Texas Workforce Commision they have a ton of jobs on there. Another tip is to a search on google for fortune 500 companies. You'd be surprised at the companies on there that have produces jobs. I don't anyone looked for a job like I did. Heck I even wrote around industrial areas writing down companies names to apply. Also be willing to relocate. I've worked in three different cities in Texas due to employment. He'll I'd go to Alaska to get on if I had to.

Ty.Rivers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

44 months ago

I'm a female going to school for PTEC are there alot of woman out in this feild?

Missbrown in Baytown, Texas

44 months ago

Hey Ty. I got my degree back in '03, I've been to every testing and interview up and down the ship channel. I've landed decent jobs in the past, but the degree really wadn't required. No one else had one, some of my coworkers didn't even finish high school, so I kept my educational background my little secret, well tried to. N-E-ways, I'm still throwing out rusumes left&right, I get alot of hits, but nothing else after a second interview. I always interview well, and they always pick the other guy. I'm still in the industry, not at a plant I'd like to be but it'll do for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FieldHand in Pearland, Texas

44 months ago

@MissBrown why have you landed jobs and left? Had it since 03 and haven't stayed on one job why? That is one thing I've noticed is most women in the business go through a lot of companies. Have issues and then just quit. Its hard work being an Operator I'll admit but easy to adjust to once you learn it. I'll give you a hint. You probably do interview well but your work history is hurting you. They tend to pass on people who what do they call it ? bounce around

MasterTech in Pearland, Texas

44 months ago

MissBrown why have you landed jobs and left? Had it since 03 and haven't stayed on one job why? That is one thing I've noticed is most women in the business go through a lot of companies. Have issues and then just quit. Its hard work being an Operator I'll admit but easy to adjust to once you learn it. I'll give you a hint. You probably do interview well but your work history is hurting you. They tend to pass on people who what do they call it ? bounce around

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.