Process Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 8689)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Operatorjoe in Houston, Texas

43 months ago

You can work OT when you train and qualify on your first job. Take your test as well as a walk around. Don't let them rush you on your training. Once you sign off the job is yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Biostudent in Groves, Texas

43 months ago

Operatorjoe, may I have your email address?I'd like to ask you some questions about my future and need your help.Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Samkat04@gmail.com

Andre Beraud@MR.FO.C.U.S. in Houston, Texas

43 months ago

bcorley said: I understand.. do you have the process degree? I graduated in may and no luck so far.. I'm in nederland so I'm in the same boat you are.. Best advice I can give is to apply every chance you get.. most of my applications and testing were for Houston companies.. The golden triangle is hurting right now... Especially with all the cutbacks on expansions but motiva is still full speed ahead with there's so hopefully it will turn around this year and some more people will retire that couldn't in 08 and 09

have you found a job yet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas said: Just landed an internship with Shell in Deer Park. They will hire 22 of the 25 interns. If anyone works there, a heads up on what to expect would be great. Is there any overtime available for new hires beyond the regular shift schedule?

how is work going for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Operatorjoe in Houston, Texas said: You can work OT when you train and qualify on your first job. Take your test as well as a walk around. Don't let them rush you on your training. Once you sign off the job is yours.

how did it take before you were qualify on your first job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

dragon in Seabrook, Texas said: I worked alot of overtime, but last year I made $142,000.00 at $34.00/hour. I missed every holiday because of seniority. Almost half my gross pay was overtime or doubletime pay.It was rough, I can't lie. Where else can you do that with only an Associate's Degree? I have been on this job for 2 years, and now training for a Console Operator job in the Central Control Room. Not bad for a country boy.

What company do you work for? What location?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I start work in July. i will be working for shell in norco la.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

bcorley in Nederland, Texas said: Graduated in May 2009 from Lamar Institute of Technology with an Associate's in Process Tech, and I am STILL looking for a job. Can't find anything in Beaumont/Port Arthur or Houston. I graduated with Honors and close to the top of my class. I have gotten a few interviews but no offers. It seems like they are only hiring operators with experience, instead of fresh graduates. I was always told it would be the other way around. Its getting very frustrating, especially when you are interviewing at plants where you have family members working and still can't get on. Any advice?

i start work in July and i gradutate in Aug. i will be working for shell in Norco LA. HOW many interviews have you been on. dont give up.

rcally in Huntington Beach, California

43 months ago

Operatorjoe in Houston, Texas said: Because once you become a shift worker it's a new lifestyle. While you're working others are sleep or while you're sleep for are working. Being on shift you're going to give up your weekends as well. I get mine off at times but usually I get one full weekend off a month. That is hard when you have other obligations. Getting off of work at 4 or 5 in the morning the. Going home for a bit of rest can be hard. I like it myself while some have a hard time adjusting. Shoot sometimes I'll work nights get off one morning then the next day I'm back working days.

The money can be addicting like on any job. Work an extra day or two and you get an extra grand or more on your check gets you. Folks call it the gold hand cuffs.

Wherever you work show initiative in learning your unit and take interest in what older operators have to say!

i completley agree although im not a full timer yet i interned with chevron for 3 months and it can get brutal on 3 nights and then a day and a half to g=switch over to days for 2 more but then.. like 4 days off hahaha but ya the money can get incredible. i have alot of family in different refineries doing different things. and yes i have a 2 yr degree in process technology but the school i went to didnt really have as much in with the companies like Harbor school or other schools. im glad i invested time and money but maybe i could of gona to better equipped school to get hired out of school

43 months ago

rcally in Huntington Beach, California said: i completley agree although im not a full timer yet i interned with chevron for 3 months and it can get brutal on 3 nights and then a day and a half to g=switch over to days for 2 more but then.. like 4 days off hahaha but ya the money can get incredible. i have alot of family in different refineries doing different things. and yes i have a 2 yr degree in process technology but the school i went to didnt really have as much in with the companies like Harbor school or other schools. im glad i invested time and money but maybe i could of gona to better equipped school to get hired out of school

and i also graduated like 2 yrs ago ive passed he chevron exxon and shell tests. had one interveiw with chevron in march but havent heard anything yet when others have gotten the "email of death" so im not getting too excited but it could finally be my time.and i also agree you get disheartend by you have to persevere and keep up. i gotten countless emails from connocophillips telling me i cant even go test and its like WHY NOT!? WHAT R THEY LOOKING ?! but then a job pops up with exxon or chevron. the avg age of an employee is 55 and they would of retired 2 or 3 yrs ago but their retirement is in stocks which obv is down. but i think their starting to retire and companies like this need to get some new blood

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

rcally in Huntington Beach, California said: and i also graduated like 2 yrs ago ive passed he chevron exxon and shell tests. had one interveiw with chevron in march but havent heard anything yet when others have gotten the "email of death" so im not getting too excited but it could finally be my time.and i also agree you get disheartend by you have to persevere and keep up. i gotten countless emails from connocophillips telling me i cant even go test and its like WHY NOT!? WHAT R THEY LOOKING ?! but then a job pops up with exxon or chevron. the avg age of an employee is 55 and they would of retired 2 or 3 yrs ago but their retirement is in stocks which obv is down. but i think their starting to retire and companies like this need to get some new blood

dont give my brother. you will find a job. you have to stay focus and have your mind made up

43 months ago

The Bible states that we reap what we sow. The most fertile soil in the world is barren unless seeds have been properly planted, cultivated, and nurtured. The relationship between giving and getting is constant in everything you do. To succeed in any endeavor, you must first invest a generous portion of your time and talents if you expect ever to earn a return on your investment. You have to give before you get. It's all a matter of attitude. You may occasionally be disappointed if you are not rewarded for your efforts, but if you demand payment for your services before you render them, you can expect a lifetime of disappointment and frustration. If you cheerfully do your best before asking for any compensation, you can expect a bountiful harvest of the greatest rewards life has to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Operatorjoe in Nederland, Texas

43 months ago

Dude leave that bible stuff off here. This is a job forum. To the guy talking about retirements. Most guys are going to retire at 58 to get full benefits. Also at XOM workers don't retire by what the stock market is doing. Also if you apply there it will take awhile to get on. #just saying

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

dude you cant tell me to leave the bible off here. God is the reason everyone is here. plus i have a job. you need to know the different between source and resource buddy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Operatorjoe in Nederland, Texas said: Dude leave that bible stuff off here. This is a job forum. To the guy talking about retirements. Most guys are going to retire at 58 to get full benefits. Also at XOM workers don't retire by what the stock market is doing. Also if you apply there it will take awhile to get on. #just saying

dude you cant tell me to leave the bible off here. God is the reason everyone is here. plus i have a job. you need to know the different between source and resource buddy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Operatorjoe in Nederland, Texas said: Dude leave that bible stuff off here. This is a job forum. To the guy talking about retirements. Most guys are going to retire at 58 to get full benefits. Also at XOM workers don't retire by what the stock market is doing. Also if you apply there it will take awhile to get on. #just saying

ya man im not saying ppl r for sure going to retire around 50 or 60 and to be honest with you ive never heard of xom. ive been trying to find new companies to start applying to but have found few other than the main stream companies. ill check into xom though thanks.and ya i know it takes quite a long time to get in all the way anywehre from 6 to 12 months

43 months ago

Also search for job agencies in coastal cities. That is what I did back in the day. Also check on the Texas Workforce Commision they have a ton of jobs on there. Another tip is to a search on google for fortune 500 companies. You'd be surprised at the companies on there that have produces jobs. I don't anyone looked for a job like I did. Heck I even wrote around industrial areas writing down companies names to apply. Also be willing to relocate. I've worked in three different cities in Texas due to employment. He'll I'd go to Alaska to get on if I had to.

Ty.Rivers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

43 months ago

I'm a female going to school for PTEC are there alot of woman out in this feild?

Missbrown in Baytown, Texas

43 months ago

Hey Ty. I got my degree back in '03, I've been to every testing and interview up and down the ship channel. I've landed decent jobs in the past, but the degree really wadn't required. No one else had one, some of my coworkers didn't even finish high school, so I kept my educational background my little secret, well tried to. N-E-ways, I'm still throwing out rusumes left&right, I get alot of hits, but nothing else after a second interview. I always interview well, and they always pick the other guy. I'm still in the industry, not at a plant I'd like to be but it'll do for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FieldHand in Pearland, Texas

43 months ago

@MissBrown why have you landed jobs and left? Had it since 03 and haven't stayed on one job why? That is one thing I've noticed is most women in the business go through a lot of companies. Have issues and then just quit. Its hard work being an Operator I'll admit but easy to adjust to once you learn it. I'll give you a hint. You probably do interview well but your work history is hurting you. They tend to pass on people who what do they call it ? bounce around

MasterTech in Pearland, Texas

43 months ago

MissBrown why have you landed jobs and left? Had it since 03 and haven't stayed on one job why? That is one thing I've noticed is most women in the business go through a lot of companies. Have issues and then just quit. Its hard work being an Operator I'll admit but easy to adjust to once you learn it. I'll give you a hint. You probably do interview well but your work history is hurting you. They tend to pass on people who what do they call it ? bounce around

43 months ago

To Master and anyone else~It would be wise for you to ask questions first instead of...what do they call it, jumping to conclusions. FIRST OF ALL, when did I say I quit a job? I don't land a job and leave, that aint even my style, plus its stupid. To answer you question I would have loved to stay at one job, but in case you haven't noticed the economy had someting to do with that. Secondly, your comment about women in the business is also stupid. Well, I can't speak for no other woman but me, I've NEVER had "issues" at work that would make me quit. I have often been the only woman on my shift which is understandable, its a man's world, but the guys were cool. I have no problem adjusting to plant life, I bust my nutts out there and do a damn good job, while MEN twice my size quit after 1 week. Yeah, I said it bust my nutts! I got big gorilla balls, but I'm a lady so well call it moaxy. Any more questions?????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

And also, it is true that I've had the degree since '03, but in case I missed the news flash they don't expire. It would be nice, would be reeealllly lovely to get in somewhere before they decide to add two more years to the degree plan.
After I graduated, I guess I thought it would be easy to get in. Not true, although I made good grades in all my PTEC classes, its still not easy. After working in production a while they were hiring for lab tech from within the company. I took chemistry in college and I got the job. I've been a lab tech ever since at different plants.(again economy/lay offs)But its cool, I'm able to do either or and my resume continues to grow. Sorry if I came off kinda witchy(w to b) in my earlier post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chucky in Sorrento, Louisiana

43 months ago

Hey what contractors have you guys/girls worked for I interviewed with SGS and they say they are not hiring any more PTEC grads becuase of the high turn over rate(losing PTEC grads to Plants) because the pay is better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Chucky in Sorrento, Louisiana said: Hey what contractors have you guys/girls worked for I interviewed with SGS and they say they are not hiring any more PTEC grads becuase of the high turn over rate(losing PTEC grads to Plants) because the pay is better..

do you have your degree already?

Charles Spooner in Sorrento, Louisiana

43 months ago

Yes I have completed the PTEC program

operatorjoe in Pearland, Texas

43 months ago

Chucky in Sorrento, Louisiana said: Hey what contractors have you guys/girls worked for I interviewed with SGS and they say they are not hiring any more PTEC grads becuase of the high turn over rate(losing PTEC grads to Plants) because the pay is better.

That is called discrimination there buddy

43 months ago

Charles Spooner in Sorrento, Louisiana said: Yes I have completed the PTEC program

i think you should focus on becoming an operator. dont give up stay focus on being a operator. you must stay focus. Follow
Onces Course Until Successful

Hawk Tommy in Dupount, Florida

43 months ago

Any advice I took a operator job thats about five dollars less than the salary range I have seen on hire, I mean I just graduated from school a month ago and I tried to get on with the big guys like shell, chevron, and Bp. I mean any job is better than no job has anybody done the same thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hawk Tommy in Dupount, Florida

43 months ago

the pay starts around $20 per hour, whats the usual starting salary?

43 months ago

Hawk congrats on the job. If it was me I'd work there getting experience as well as keep applying. Being a working Operator you'll be more attractive than a non experienced person. Learn as much as you can!

abfocus1 in Alvin, Texas

43 months ago

Hawk Tommy in Dupount, Florida said: Any advice I took a operator job thats about five dollars less than the salary range I have seen on hire, I mean I just graduated from school a month ago and I tried to get on with the big guys like shell, chevron, and Bp. I mean any job is better than no job has anybody done the same thing.

i think you shouldnt give up looking. keep applying for the big companies. you will get in

jdub69 in Houston, Texas

43 months ago

Does anyone know anything about Dow Deerpark the old Rohm and Haas? Are they a good company to work for and does anyone know what they pay?

43 months ago

I think Rohm and Haas is owned by Dow, or something like that. It's a great company. Have you interviewed there?

42 months ago

Missbrown in Baytown, Texas said: I think Rohm and Haas is owned by Dow, or something like that. It's a great company. Have you interviewed there?

Missbrown keep up the good work.

gina lany in Hammond, Indiana

42 months ago

i am considering a career in this field but my main concern is that i am a women coming into a posistion generally for men can someone tell me if my concern is just a concern ...as for overtime im one of those who like to work i have 3 children and recently divorced one will be entering highschool and i need to send him to a private school . I will be signing up for the course soon also how long is the program

bbg

42 months ago

Typical programs are two years

As far as women in operations, at my site there are some women and one is a stillman, lead operator.

42 months ago

gina lany in Hammond, Indiana said: i am considering a career in this field but my main concern is that i am a women coming into a posistion generally for men can someone tell me if my concern is just a concern ...as for overtime im one of those who like to work i have 3 children and recently divorced one will be entering highschool and i need to send him to a private school . I will be signing up for the course soon also how long is the program

Go ahead a sign up. It will take take hard work and sacrifice but it is worth it. Your kids will thank you later for it.

42 months ago

I agree with Beraud, and it matters not what sex you are. Give it a try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Big_C in Mandeville, Louisiana

42 months ago

In Louisiana are any of the Plant's / Refineries hiring and if so which companies? Also which pay's the most working at a chemical plant of an oil refineries?

Big_C in Mandeville, Louisiana

42 months ago

Sorry or an oil refinery?

operatorjoe in Houston, Texas

42 months ago

Just depends most big companies pay the same

tourist in Brooklyn, New York

41 months ago

Can someone tell about Lee College's program? I heared that they have a good record in hiring after graduation, but I need some more first hand experience about it. Also, how do i get a job where I work 14 days on and 14 days off. Is there a market in Latin America for process operators?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jammintx3 in Deer Park, Texas

41 months ago

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas said: I will be entering the San Jacinto College Process Tech Certificate program in January. I was told By Michael Speegle (runs the program) that jobs are scarce right now in the Houston area, but should pick up over the next 3 - 4 years because of retirement. Has anyone gotten an operator job with just the certificate, or do I need the associates degree?

Yes Speegle told me the same thing. I graduated in May 2010 from San Jac and I just got my first job as an operator. Im going to work for TPC Group on July 25th. It's very discouraging to be told no over and over but if you stay persistent it will pay off

jammintx3 in Deer Park, Texas

41 months ago

bcorley in Nederland, Texas said: Graduated in May 2009 from Lamar Institute of Technology with an Associate's in Process Tech, and I am STILL looking for a job. Can't find anything in Beaumont/Port Arthur or Houston. I graduated with Honors and close to the top of my class. I have gotten a few interviews but no offers. It seems like they are only hiring operators with experience, instead of fresh graduates. I was always told it would be the other way around. Its getting very frustrating, especially when you are interviewing at plants where you have family members working and still can't get on. Any advice?

Believe me I know it's frustrating to continually be told no. I graduated from San Jac in May 2010 and I just now got a job. I start with TPC Group on July 25th. Stay persistent and it will pay off.

operatorjoe in Vidor, Texas

41 months ago

That is why I tell people to do internships. You aren't doing it for the pay but for the experience. You need it to seperate you from the next person. Also be willing to relocate. Don't just say ill work in my hometown. There are jobs all down the Gulf Coast. Everyone is hiring right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

abfocus1 in La Place, Louisiana

41 months ago

I apply for over 100 jobs and i didnt hear anything also. i applied with shell over 23 times, and they told me no. i didnt give up. i am now working for shell in norco. you must look for jobs like it is a job itself. i been on two interviews before shell. conoco and chevron. i felt like i was doing something wrong, but i wasnt. with every test and interview you must improve. always better yourself. Follow Ones Course Until Successful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tourist in Brooklyn, New York

41 months ago

Wow, I got nothing on my post, therefore nobody attended Lee College nor heard about it. So can you answer the second part of the post. Anyone works 14 on and 14 off? Can you tell me about it?

abfocus1 in La Place, Louisiana

41 months ago

i attented alvin community college

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.