Process Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 6170)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

jammintx3 in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas said: I will be entering the San Jacinto College Process Tech Certificate program in January. I was told By Michael Speegle (runs the program) that jobs are scarce right now in the Houston area, but should pick up over the next 3 - 4 years because of retirement. Has anyone gotten an operator job with just the certificate, or do I need the associates degree?

Yes Speegle told me the same thing. I graduated in May 2010 from San Jac and I just got my first job as an operator. Im going to work for TPC Group on July 25th. It's very discouraging to be told no over and over but if you stay persistent it will pay off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jammintx3 in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

bcorley in Nederland, Texas said: Graduated in May 2009 from Lamar Institute of Technology with an Associate's in Process Tech, and I am STILL looking for a job. Can't find anything in Beaumont/Port Arthur or Houston. I graduated with Honors and close to the top of my class. I have gotten a few interviews but no offers. It seems like they are only hiring operators with experience, instead of fresh graduates. I was always told it would be the other way around. Its getting very frustrating, especially when you are interviewing at plants where you have family members working and still can't get on. Any advice?

Believe me I know it's frustrating to continually be told no. I graduated from San Jac in May 2010 and I just now got a job. I start with TPC Group on July 25th. Stay persistent and it will pay off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

operatorjoe in Vidor, Texas

33 months ago

That is why I tell people to do internships. You aren't doing it for the pay but for the experience. You need it to seperate you from the next person. Also be willing to relocate. Don't just say ill work in my hometown. There are jobs all down the Gulf Coast. Everyone is hiring right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

abfocus1 in La Place, Louisiana

33 months ago

I apply for over 100 jobs and i didnt hear anything also. i applied with shell over 23 times, and they told me no. i didnt give up. i am now working for shell in norco. you must look for jobs like it is a job itself. i been on two interviews before shell. conoco and chevron. i felt like i was doing something wrong, but i wasnt. with every test and interview you must improve. always better yourself. Follow Ones Course Until Successful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tourist in Brooklyn, New York

33 months ago

Wow, I got nothing on my post, therefore nobody attended Lee College nor heard about it. So can you answer the second part of the post. Anyone works 14 on and 14 off? Can you tell me about it?

33 months ago

i attented alvin community college

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

33 months ago

Why don't some of you guys in Texas look into working in Louisiana. Louisiana and Texas have pretty much all the same plants. I mean Louisiana is only a few hours away from Houston and their hiring like crazy down here. I'm in school at ITI tech in baton rouge La and every one in my class has jobs and we don't graduate until the end of September. Companies down here are begging for guys with PTECH degrees its so bad companies like dow chemical have been hiring our student and some of them don't even graduate until next year. some of the guys in my class have been picked up by dow chem, air products, and other smaller plants that are not as well known but still pay well, me my self I got hired by shell and I work for motiva but the deal with allot of big companies like shell is that they dont realy pick up allot of rookies unless their really short handed most of the time you have to have prior experiance the only reason I got on with shell is because I went through an internship and all the new guys comeing in with me came through the intern ship and any one else has to have experiance. but some times you have to be willing to relocate to get your foot in the door.

john in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: Why don't some of you guys in Texas look into working in Louisiana. Louisiana and Texas have pretty much all the same plants. I mean Louisiana is only a few hours away from Houston and their hiring like crazy down here. I'm in school at ITI tech in baton rouge La and every one in my class has jobs and we don't graduate until the end of September. Companies down here are begging for guys with PTECH degrees its so bad companies like dow chemical have been hiring our student and some of them don't even graduate until next year. some of the guys in my class have been picked up by dow chem, air products, and other smaller plants that are not as well known but still pay well, me my self I got hired by shell and I work for motiva but the deal with allot of big companies like shell is that they dont realy pick up allot of rookies unless their really short handed most of the time you have to have prior experiance the only reason I got on with shell is because I went through an internship and all the new guys comeing in with me came through the intern ship and any one else has to have experiance. but some times you have to be willing to relocate to get your foot in the door.

can u work in this industry with a felony on your background, even if it's 6 yrs ago??

33 months ago

it depends on the company and what the felony was. A guy I now failed a background check because of an DUI he got like 7 years ago and they still held it against him but another plant hired him so it just depends.

33 months ago

i agree with you. i am from houston and shell in norco hire me one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

abfocus1 in La Place, Louisiana said: i agree with you. i am from houston and shell in norco hire me one.[/QUOT

so shell hired you even though u have a felony, is that right

operatorjoe in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

33 months ago

A highly doubt Shell hired someone with a felony. Refineries and other industrial facilities are considered in federal trade zones or something like that. The three companies I work forbade stringent background checks. Now working for a contract company with a felony is a different story.

chrisjschndr@gmail.com in Juneau, Alaska

33 months ago

Does anyone know how often an operator is required to do maintenance and repairs? I am not able to gather how much of a job is on the control board and how much is labor. Any insight would be great.

33 months ago

Beau in Baytown, Texas said: The first response you got is pretty close to what the industry is like as far as pay, oil usually does pay a bit more than chemical. I work at an oil refinery in operations, last year I grossed 130K and its only my 2nd year I did work quite a bit of overtime but I didn't kill myself or anything. Overtime is typically available to those who really want to work it, some people prefer not to work more than their 40 hours. As far as the schedule goes your gonna being working shift work, 12 hour shifts are the norm for most places.

Was most of the overtime plant shutdowns and maintenance?

33 months ago

What is "working the field"? What does a typical day consist of?

operatorjoe in Duson, Louisiana

33 months ago

Operators job is not to do maintenance. Sometimes you might fix small issues that are handles with basic tools. An outside operator doesn't operate the control board in a refinery. The units are ran in a console room. Most days you wont see your console operator. A day consists of turning valves , taking readings, and other routine tasks for each working unit.

operatorjoe in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

I agree with what the last guy said. Depends on plant to plant. I've been at three different places and its Ben vastly different. Working outside has more positives than negatives. You can fight cold temps with proper clothing as well as fight the heat.

33 months ago

Thanks for all the replies - so what about major shutdowns and other more extensive repairs and pm's? Are the operators usually expected to play a significant part in the actual wrenching?

cperaza in Baytown, Texas

33 months ago

abfocus1 in La Place, Louisiana said: i attented alvin community college

Lee College has a great program. Talk to Dr Thomas or Bryant Dyer about opportunities that exist. Currently the college has several internship opportunities that typically lead to full-time employment and placements rates for Process Operations are outstanding.

Terry68 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

32 months ago

Does anyone know about the Shell internship. I have gotten past the first interview and I got an email saying I had made the shortlist and I'm not sure what is going to happen next. More interviews? If so what kind of questions I can expect? Any help would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

well I went through the shell internship earlier this year and got hired on full time and it has been a journey but not a bad one. What I had to go through was first of course I tested then they called me about a month or two later I had pretty much forgotten about it and they just called me out of the blue and told me to come to shell norco for an interview well I guess I did ok to say it was my first real interview. It just so happend that one of the guys that interviewed me was at my school a couple of weeks after my interview and me and him got to rinnin it and he pretty much told me that alot of times they dont expect the person to have much plant experience but its a plus but they look for things like good eye contact and want to see how well you worked with others in your past, some what mechanically inclinee and are you a thinker,and the #1 thing are you safe and stuff like that and basically they score you on the answers you give and then tally them up he said its the easiest way to narrow it down because they can tell if your full of it. then about another month they called me and offered me an internship. Then I did my internship and then when I finished they told me they wanted to hire me but I had to do another interview with the operation managers because they were not going to hire all the interns so they wanted to find out who had it and who didnt but one thing if you get it take advantage of it try to pick up as much as you can don't go there and kick your feet up like I seen some guys do and it will pay off in your finale interview. The unit that I worked in I took the PFDs which means plant flow diagram and learned the whole process an every piece of equipment and traced lines by my self by the time I was finished I knew the whole process where the feeds came into the units and where it went after it was processed rather to another unit or out to storage. trust me this stuff helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

m57 in Port Neches, Texas said: i am 45 years old female and would like a career change in this industry as a process operator...is it too late for me at my age of getting hired..rumor they only hire young for the long haul...please experience process operators give me some feedback...want to start in spring for certificate.

I am 47 and just got hired at Shell. A fellow new hire is 55.

wolasam in Kenner, Louisiana

32 months ago

operator82 in Beaumont, Texas said: m57 it all depends on you and how you present yourself. age has nothing to do with getting hired. also forget getting the certificate you need the degree if you don't have experience. no one hires with just the certificate. also look into getting an internship somewhere.

Im also 40 years old male and would like to start my ptech program this year fall.I have a lot of college credits so i will graduate hopefully next year may. I know the field has become more competetive. I know Im smart and a good worker,but my age makes me wonder wether my decision is right .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Andre Beraud in Destrehan, Louisiana

32 months ago

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: It depends, I know allot of operators at allot of different plant and all of us do different things some work harder than others. I not saying no plant names on here but some do work their guys more than others, some plants the operators have more responsibility than others. So it can depend on the plant but it can also depend on the unit you work in because I know guys that work at the same plant but different units and one works allot harder than the other but he also makes more hours to. And for the newbies who think that being an operator job is all peaches and cream its not some day you do have to earn your money and working the board isn't all that because after sitting in front of a computer screen all day for 12 hours can make you some times feel more drained that working out side all day and that's on a good day don't let the unit be having problems than its way worst mentally tired can be just as bad as psychically tired

so you work in norco for shell now. i also work for shell norco. i am in my 5th week of training right now. i will be going to st rose. mr williams is our trainer.

32 months ago

no Shell/Motiva Convent

abfocus1 in Destrehan, Louisiana

32 months ago

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: no Shell/Motiva Convent

oh ok i work at norco

32 months ago

Andre Beraud in Destrehan, Louisiana said: so you work in norco for shell now. i also work for shell norco. i am in my 5th week of training right now. i will be going to st rose. mr williams is our trainer.

Congratulation . How are you enjoying your training and How is your training schedule is like? Do you make 40hrs a week and how much a newly hire can make?

beam in Sacramento, California

32 months ago

if anyone could help. what is the difference between instrumentation technology and process technology? im interested in going to school for process technology, but i want to know which one should i go for.

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas

32 months ago

beam in Sacramento, California said: if anyone could help. what is the difference between instrumentation technology and process technology? im interested in going to school for process technology, but i want to know which one should i go for.

If you don't know what either job is about,what makes you think you want to choose either one as a career?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas said: If you don't know what either job is about,what makes you think you want to choose either one as a career?

well isn't that why people go to school? im sure you had no idea what any was at one time. i was reading about it and both seems similar. i just want some input on what the difference are.

32 months ago

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas said: If you don't know what either job is about,what makes you think you want to choose either one as a career?

well isn't that why people go to school? i'm sure you had no idea what any was at one time. i was reading about it and both seems similar. i just want some input on what the difference are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

andre beraud in Destrehan, Louisiana

32 months ago

wolasam in Kenner, Louisiana said: Congratulation . How are you enjoying your training and How is your training schedule is like? Do you make 40hrs a week and how much a newly hire can make?

i work 4o hrs a week and new hires working for shell can make $27.00 an hour

32 months ago

andre beraud in Destrehan, Louisiana said: i work 4o hrs a week and new hires working for shell can make $27.00 an hour

Thanks for replying to my question. I just started ptech program and i must say its so far so good. The teachers appeared to be very positive about our chances of getting job even before we graduating. I hope to finish by May ,2012,however i need a job now. Which way is the easiest to get a job with any of the reputable companies while in school? If i get internship would i be paid? if yes averagely how much?

32 months ago

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas said: I am 47 and just got hired at Shell. A fellow new hire is 55.

congratulation on your new found job with shell. I have been skeptical about my age too but the comment you posted about your age has been a great source of encouragement .Could you tell me what you do for shell and your starting hourly rate? I just started my ptech program and hope to graduate next year May.

Future Intern :) in Biloxi, Mississippi

31 months ago

Stephanie said: lol your funny!! how mechanically inclined do you need to be to become a process tech? I'm debating over process tech and environmental,safefty technician. I'll have to progressively learn algebra though I had a class made an 87% in it but I dont feel as though I learned enough. This economy seems to be hurting us all unfort. I'm female would that hurt or help me to land a job? Have a great weekend everyone

I saw your forum and I just had to reply! I also am a female and just graduated from a PTEC degree. I will soon be starting an internship and I am very excited to get my feet wet and really get some hands-on experience. I made about the same grade in my algebra class. I have been told that I will be fine so I am sure that would apply for you as well! Good luck with everything! By the way, you being a female REALLY helps you. Any individuals that are in the minority have the upper hand :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OperatorGuy in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Future Intern :) in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I saw your forum and I just had to reply! I also am a female and just graduated from a PTEC degree. I will soon be starting an internship and I am very excited to get my feet wet and really get some hands-on experience. I made about the same grade in my algebra class. I have been told that I will be fine so I am sure that would apply for you as well! Good luck with everything! By the way, you being a female REALLY helps you. Any individuals that are in the minority have the upper hand :)

@Future Intern when you start make sure you go on in there and learn your job. Don't sit around with other Operators or let them trick you into doing tasks such as cleaning and stuff. Its a common occurrence and will really hurt you. Learn your job and routines. Get out and make multiple rounds a day and ask questions. Show interest in learning the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Good advise " do not sit around.....dont let them trick you into cleaning......get out to do your rounds.....".Im in ptech program and about to start working on my internship application. I really need some experience in the plant before i graduate. My only problem is quiting my current semi-well paying job to become an intern.Do you have any idea how much interns can make in the plant?

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas

31 months ago

Future Intern :) in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I saw your forum and I just had to reply! I also am a female and just graduated from a PTEC degree. I will soon be starting an internship and I am very excited to get my feet wet and really get some hands-on experience. I made about the same grade in my algebra class. I have been told that I will be fine so I am sure that would apply for you as well! Good luck with everything! By the way, you being a female REALLY helps you. Any individuals that are in the minority have the upper hand :)

I woiuld advise you to stick your nose in the P&Ids. Remember that just because the other operators seem to sit around and talk doesn't mean you can. They already have a job and you don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

It depends on where you go allot of guys I was in school with got internships at plant like DOW Chem and Air Products and they started out at any where from 16 to 19 dollars an hour and they all got hired after their internships. But some don't pay as well and it might deter some people like with me but I took a gamble I got an internship with Shell and they were only paying 12 and we were only aloud to work a couple of days a week so the pay really sucked but I busted my butt and got hired and now I make allot of money but allot of people could have been in my position too but they turned it down because of the pay but now I'm making allot more money than all of them. So you just have to weigh your options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michael savana in monroe, Louisiana

31 months ago

i just started in august as a first time freshman. im 26 and taking remedial classes. are the ptech classes hard? overwhelming? can you tell me more about the internships? i have a decent part time job right now but have no experience in ptech field. i want to be able to make real money and not waste any time. im ready for a career change since the whole marraige/kids thing didnt work out for me right now.

Chevyrockstar in Beaumont, Texas

31 months ago

supasam225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: It depends on where you go allot of guys I was in school with got internships at plant like DOW Chem and Air Products and they started out at any where from 16 to 19 dollars an hour and they all got hired after their internships. But some don't pay as well and it might deter some people like with me but I took a gamble I got an internship with Shell and they were only paying 12 and we were only aloud to work a couple of days a week so the pay really sucked but I busted my butt and got hired and now I make allot of money but allot of people could have been in my position too but they turned it down because of the pay but now I'm making allot more money than all of them. So you just have to weigh your options.

hey did you have to take the shell pre employment test supasam225

31 months ago

I found most ptech classes not to be complicated.The few that i found challenging were result of the teacher's inability to explain his points well. About internships, i heard the pay ranges from $12-$20 depending on the company. Do not worry much,for instance in my colloge recruiters comes in almost every other week to recruit students. Majority of these students do not get to graduate .

31 months ago

Chevyrockstar in Beaumont, Texas said: hey did you have to take the shell pre employment test supasam225

You must definately be determined to stay the course even though the money offered you for your internship was like a peanut. How many months did you work as an intern before you became full time employee and how much was your starting hourly rate?

31 months ago

wolasam in Kenner, Louisiana said: You must definately be determined to stay the course even though the money offered you for your internship was like a peanut. How many months did you work as an intern before you became full time employee and how much was your starting hourly rate?

i havent got any intern yet but shell offer me to take a pre employment test so i i'm try to get some info so i can have an heads up

31 months ago

wolasam in Kenner, Louisiana said: You must definately be determined to stay the course even though the money offered you for your internship was like a peanut. How many months did you work as an intern before you became full time employee and how much was your starting hourly rate?

welli havent got an intern yet but shell offer me to take an pre employment test so i was trying to get an heads up about the test

michael savana in monroe, Louisiana

31 months ago

wolasam in Kenner, Louisiana said: I found most ptech classes not to be complicated.The few that i found challenging were result of the teacher's inability to explain his points well. About internships, i heard the pay ranges from $12-$20 depending on the company. Do not worry much,for instance in my colloge recruiters comes in almost every other week to recruit students. Majority of these students do not get to graduate .

what do you mean majority do not get to graduate? im on my first semester so i dont know anything about recruiters yet. hell, pre-algebra is a challenge right now lol. its been ten years since i dropped out of high school. im guessing my third semester will be more involved with ptech instead of remedials. is there a such thing as bachelors for ptech? are they even necessary?

Mirriam in Aurora, Illinois

31 months ago

Which school are you in. i am a 40 year old woman and unemployed right now. I am considering starting process technology class next semester. Will I be able to get a job at this age.

airzume in Zachary, Louisiana

31 months ago

abfocus1 in Destrehan, Louisiana said: oh ok i work at norco

i start working for shell/motiva in norco next month...can u give me a heads up on what to expect as far as training and what the top-out pay is at shell

abfocus1 in Kenner, Louisiana

31 months ago

airzume in Zachary, Louisiana said: i start working for shell/motiva in norco next month...can u give me a heads up on what to expect as far as training and what the top-out pay is at shell

congrats bro. sure i can give you a heads up. hit me on my email abfocus1@hotmail.com. i will share some great info with you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

win225 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

31 months ago

abfocus1 in La Place, Louisiana said: I apply for over 100 jobs and i didnt hear anything also. i applied with shell over 23 times, and they told me no. i didnt give up. i am now working for shell in norco. you must look for jobs like it is a job itself. i been on two interviews before shell. conoco and chevron. i felt like i was doing something wrong, but i wasnt. with every test and interview you must improve. always better yourself. Follow Ones Course Until Successful

I agree with your comment! I am on my 10th time applying and not successful, but i will not give up. I dont have a ptec degree but have experience in pipeline operating. how do shell veiw experience over ptec degree?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.