Process Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 7949)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

Jeff in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

Nate in Bozeman, Montana said: Did you get the associates degree in process technology and what is your age if you dont mind me asking?

Yes I went back to school and got the 2 yr degree. I'm 40 yrs old. Starting pay is $25.50 and top out is $38.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Bozeman, Montana

33 months ago

So do they ever raise that cap out?? I mean surely something has to been done with it in terms of inflation 60,000 a year will not be the same in 15 years you know what Im saying?? anyone comment on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vutekho in Manvel, Texas

33 months ago

Nate in Bozeman, Montana said: So do they ever raise that cap out?? I mean surely something has to been done with it in terms of inflation 60,000 a year will not be the same in 15 years you know what Im saying?? anyone comment on this?

They don't raise the cap as often, but most company have "cost of living" increase, annually to cover inflation. But that is not a guarantee.

Your regular progression raise, which can be annually or every 6 months, until you cap out, will be giving no matter the state of the economy or the company. But the cost of living increase can be halted. For ex. during a wage freeze or similar events.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vutekho in Manvel, Texas

33 months ago

Nate in Bozeman, Montana said: So do they ever raise that cap out?? I mean surely something has to been done with it in terms of inflation 60,000 a year will not be the same in 15 years you know what Im saying?? anyone comment on this?

Nate in Bozeman, Montana said: So do they ever raise that cap out?? I mean surely something has to been done with it in terms of inflation 60,000 a year will not be the same in 15 years you know what Im saying?? anyone comment on this?

They don't raise the cap as often, but most company have "cost of living" increase, annually to cover inflation. But that is not a guarantee.

Your regular progression raise, which can be annually or every 6 months, until you cap out, will be giving no matter the state of the economy or the company. But the cost of living increase can be halted. For ex. during a wage freeze or similar events.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Bozeman, Montana

33 months ago

is there a 4 your Bachelors of applied science that can be attained? I hear the BAS degree in Energy Management at Bismarck state was new and good? any comments on that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Bozeman, Montana

33 months ago

I mean later on when u have your PTEC degree, u can get something with a 4 year stamp on it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

Vutekho in Spring, Texas said: Valero and Chevron Phillips in Port Arthur, TX pays around the same, and is represented by the same union, United Steel Workers.

Starting pay is/was:
$21.30 for 8hr shift
$18.69 for 12hr shift

Get a raise every 6 months, and one yearly raise, for 3 or 4 years. If I remember correctly, they capped you out at $32.

Exxon Mobil Chemical in Mont Belvieu, TX starts off at $21, and cap out at $31. Raise every 6 months, non union. Can someone tell me if the Exxon Oil refinery in Baytown pays roughly the same or not?

Dow Chemical has 3 sites in Freeport, TX: Oyster Creek, Plant A, and Plant B. Only Plant B is unionized.


Any companies in texas or Lousiana hiring Process operator traine or entry level without Process tech degree.do They hire hire people with bachelors degree in other field like engineering or electronics?
I am trying to get into Process operator/Tech Field?
Any suggestion pls?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

I hired on at TPC in July. Starting at $25.50. Raise in Jan. to $28.75. Cap is at $38.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas said: I hired on at TPC in July. Starting at $25.50. Raise in Jan. to $28.75. Cap is at $38.

what are entry level educational requirement at TPC?
i saw TPC has entry level operator opening boiler operations.
i have bachelors degree in engineering and 2 years experience working as contractor in different refineries...not as a boiler operator
can you tell me pls?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

operator82 in Beaumont, Texas

33 months ago

@khali you need to be applying at exxon mobil

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

operator82 in Beaumont, Texas said: @khali you need to be applying at exxon mobil

when exxon mobil start hiring( tx or lousiana) ?
can any 1 tell me pls..
i didnt find anything on their website....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Bozeman, Montana

33 months ago

Anyone got a POWERPLANT TECHNOLOGY degree?? Instead of the process tech? Im thinking about going this route, seems to pay a little more thanks. BTW what is the difference?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas said: I hired on at TPC in July. Starting at $25.50. Raise in Jan. to $28.75. Cap is at $38.

Jeff,

You have any idea when TPC might be hiring for operators again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

We have a pool of 40 people that passed testing and interviews that are ranked from 1 to 40. I was number 2 and I believe they are up to number 25 or 30. When this pool is used up TPC will have another round of testing and interviews. I'm just guessing but it will probably be around May. They post it on all the job boards so keep an eye open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

khali in Deer Park, Texas said: what are entry level educational requirement at TPC?
i saw TPC has entry level operator opening boiler operations.
i have bachelors degree in engineering and 2 years experience working as contractor in different refineries...not as a boiler operator
can you tell me pls?

Yea Khali you need a 1st Grade Boiler License from the City of Houston.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J.R. in Ackerman, Mississippi

33 months ago

I'm enrolled in the Process Technology program at BRCC..could someone give me a little information about, is it easy to get a process tech job in the Louisiana/Texas area once I complete my degree program, because I be hearing that jobs are sort of hard to find, but i don't know about the process tech job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronny in Dayton, Texas

33 months ago

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas said: We have a pool of 40 people that passed testing and interviews that are ranked from 1 to 40. I was number 2 and I believe they are up to number 25 or 30. When this pool is used up TPC will have another round of testing and interviews. I'm just guessing but it will probably be around May. They post it on all the job boards so keep an eye open.

Jeff,

How is the TPC Group pre-employment test? What does it include? What type of testing? On a scale of 1-10 how easy is it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jack in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

33 months ago

2chase3 in League City, Texas said: With anything experience is a factor, However the degree is claimed to give a entry lvl operator the equivelent of 3 years on the job experience...of course this is just theory, and nothing I feel is better than hands on.

I agree it will be tough for a person with no plant experience to compete with someone who does. But on the same hand alot of people I know started as contractors in plant/refineries..usually how most are introduced to the idea of becoming a operator.

My opinion is they like to see you are familiar with plant equipment,plant routine,permit processes and above all safety regulations. (Remember a hefty part of your wage is hazardous pay)

Then I have heard the exact oposite about plants hiring experience over degree. This usually falls in the area of where a operator with no degree has been laid off and looking for another operations position. To my knowledge, plants dont like hiring other plant operators,.. the way it was explained to me is they like to train a certain way, and this usually conflicts with past experience and methods...

Then again I heard to much..loool

im looking to change careers from residential HVAC air conditioning. i have a AC and electrical degree, EPA universal License, and Twic card what do you think the likely hood of getting a trainee job to start out working for a plant operator

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas

33 months ago

jack in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: im looking to change careers from residential HVAC air conditioning. i have a AC and electrical degree, EPA universal License, and Twic card what do you think the likely hood of getting a trainee job to start out working for a plant operator

I don't know if HVAC experience will help youg et a job or not but it will definitely help understand process better. So much of the natural gas prodessing is done by cryogenics, which is super cold temperatures and compression. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in Billings, Montana

33 months ago

Hey guys can you give any insight about how the work environment is in terms of breathing air? I mean when you are in the plant are you exposed all day to breathing in crap? I dont want to develop COPD or something for any amount of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rudyvalentino in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

You don't spend your whole day outside but when you do, you won't be smelling flowers that's for sure. This is one of the many risks involved in this career. You may want to do some more research and perhaps reconsider if you are weary of the odors in the air. Don't mean to discourage you, just being realistic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in Billings, Montana

33 months ago

thanks rudy, I would imagine the air inside would be a little worse correct? I mean unless the operators rooms is filtered and such, as opposed to outside?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rudyvalentino in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

I think you may have the wrong idea of the set up at a refinery/chemical plant. What you smell outside is trace amounts of hydrocarbons, chemicals, etc. Companies expend a great deal of resources to keep us as safe as possible. It is not in the company's best interest to keep an unhealthy environment for its employees. Industrial hygiene constantly monitors the working conditions. Where there are problems, such as leaks, then the smells will intensity but these situations do not occur all of the time. Inside the control room you will not smell much of anything other than the delicious cooking going on. In the event of a major release, fresh air is available to everyone in the unit. I hope this clarified things a bit more for you. Email me at rudyvalentino77@yahoo.com if you have any more questions, I enjoy sharing my knowledge of this industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

OperatorJoe in Buna, Texas

33 months ago

Youre only smelling money in the air. If you're scared of what you're breathing don't get in this industry. If you're scared of anything don't get in this industry. Sitting in an office you could die from an explosion as well. Is this job dangerous? Heck yes but do I love it? Heck yes making OT right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Billings, Montana

33 months ago

I have been trying to get as much information on this career as possible, I am currently a BSN nursing student but I cannot sit around for 4 more years until I am 26 to graduate, I need to start making money now. I have all of my generals done including the core req's for the PTEC degree, all I need to get is the core PPT classes done which would probably take a year and then I would have the AAS degree. Obviously my health is important in any industry which is why I asked, you cant make money if your sick and ill, health really is wealth. Thanks rudy I will most likely email you because there is really no forums or anything on the internet that has anybody to talk to regarding Process Technology. Not even any good youtube videos with comments to post either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas

33 months ago

Nate in Billings, Montana said: I have been trying to get as much information on this career as possible, I am currently a BSN nursing student but I cannot sit around for 4 more years until I am 26 to graduate, I need to start making money now. I have all of my generals done including the core req's for the PTEC degree, all I need to get is the core PPT classes done which would probably take a year and then I would have the AAS degree. Obviously my health is important in any industry which is why I asked, you cant make money if your sick and ill, health really is wealth. Thanks rudy I will most likely email you because there is really no forums or anything on the internet that has anybody to talk to regarding Process Technology. Not even any good youtube videos with comments to post either.

Nate-The chances of being injured in the petroleum industry are very remote. All the major companies are very proud of their safetyoccasionaly records.You can do a google search on industry related injuries. Of course nothing is 100% safe we do have ocasionaly have disasters but even as a nurse you're working with sick people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

33 months ago

The test is the exact same test that Shell uses. Lots of math and reading gages type of stuff. I thought it was easy but alot of people had a hard time with it. You can go online and find practice tests to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas said: The test is the exact same test that Shell uses. Lots of math and reading gages type of stuff. I thought it was easy but alot of people had a hard time with it. You can go online and find practice tests to help you

Thanks for the info. I took the test for Shell Motiva in November and passed. My main objective was to get into the pool and apply for Deer Park.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

33 months ago

IM looking to better myself and get on as an operator without any experience do you know of any plant that would hire unexperiened people and train them to be operators

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Sugar Land, Texas

33 months ago

Exxonmobil hires process techs with zero experience. Go on line and create a profile and select test location. That will get you started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Pasadena, Texas

33 months ago

RyanA in Sugar Land, Texas said: Exxonmobil hires process techs with zero experience. Go on line and create a profile and select test location. That will get you started.

Hi i created profile for exxon mobil and selected test location.
next step---i have to wait for their call whenever the test is available???
can you pls tell me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

Once you have created a profile and selected your test location you will have to wait patiently. As the website states you can register for a test at any location and then select what location you would like to work at if a position becomes available. I am taking the test in Mobile, AL in January but, my desired work locations are here in Texas and California.

You can wait for them to send you a email when they test at Baytown or Lee College or you can go to the next available test location even if it is out of state. Food for thought.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Pasadena, Texas

33 months ago

RyanA in Houston, Texas said: Once you have created a profile and selected your test location you will have to wait patiently. As the website states you can register for a test at any location and then select what location you would like to work at if a position becomes available. I am taking the test in Mobile, AL in January but, my desired work locations are here in Texas and California.

You can wait for them to send you a email when they test at Baytown or Lee College or you can go to the next available test location even if it is out of state. Food for thought.........

how do you know the present test conducting locations????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Humble, Texas

33 months ago

When you log in look at the top of the page at the announcement page. It will display current testing locations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Pasadena, Texas

32 months ago

RyanA in Humble, Texas said: When you log in look at the top of the page at the announcement page. It will display current testing locations.

are you prepared to take test ?
i am taking valero test this week...i will scedule exon test later...
i am studying barons mechanical aptitude book, arco mechanical aptitude book,cliffnotes pre algebra and basic math....u can get it any library....

all the industry questions are covered here...
hope this will help you.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

khali in Pasadena, Texas said: are you prepared to take test ?
i am taking valero test this week...i will scedule exon test later...
i am studying barons mechanical aptitude book, arco mechanical aptitude book,cliffnotes pre algebra and basic math....u can get it any library....

all the industry questions are covered here...
hope this will help you.....

Khali,

Good luck on your Valero test. I took a trip to Norco, LA to take the test the first week of December 2011. Valero then opened up the 3 Rivers location for testing. The Valero test was almost identical to the ConocoPhillips and Shell tests.

I have been studying the usuall study guides and getting ready. I beleive mental preparation is just as important. Failure is not a option! Thanks for the study guide references.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

Terry68 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I have a question about benefits. Do you know how they handle employee stock buying at Shell or Exxon? I was just wondering how much of a discount is given.

IT has been a while since I was emplyed with them but, in 2006 you could day trade your stock as many times as you wanted with out any trading fees. Buying or trading your stock with an outside broker will greatly differ when it comes to buy and sell orders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Pasadena, Texas

32 months ago

RyanA in Houston, Texas said: Khali,

Good luck on your Valero test. I took a trip to Norco, LA to take the test the first week of December 2011. Valero then opened up the 3 Rivers location for testing. The Valero test was almost identical to the ConocoPhillips and Shell tests.

I have been studying the usuall study guides and getting ready. I beleive mental preparation is just as important. Failure is not a option! Thanks for the study guide references.

is shell hiring now?
how do u apply ...application procedure?
i applied conoco philips...status- second review

do you know abt valero test ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

To my knowledge Shell is done hiring for now. I tested at the Port Aurthur site in November. I did not make it to the interview phase. You can go to their website and create a profile and you can then set up job alerts to notify you of open positions.

I also to the ConocoPhillips test on a Sunday in Sweeney. I am currently at the secondary review phase as well. The Valero test is almost identical to the ConocoPhillips test is you can remember it. Shell, Conoco, and Valero all use the same test and format. Many of the questions were familiar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiger worker in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

Discounts aren't given at any company that I know of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wolasam in Gretna, Louisiana

32 months ago

In life there are always exceptional cases and you could be one.But let me be real with you, it will be difficult for you to find a job without ptech. I suggest you enroll parttime in school and put it on your resume.This will make you a lot more attractive to employers. wish you all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnnyw in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

RyanA in Houston, Texas said: To my knowledge Shell is done hiring for now. I tested at the Port Aurthur site in November. I did not make it to the interview phase. You can go to their website and create a profile and you can then set up job alerts to notify you of open positions.

I also to the ConocoPhillips test on a Sunday in Sweeney. I am currently at the secondary review phase as well. The Valero test is almost identical to the ConocoPhillips test is you can remember it. Shell, Conoco, and Valero all use the same test and format. Many of the questions were familiar.

Hey Khali and RyanA I'm new to this forum but like you two I have been applying everywhere to become a operator I see you both state you are in secondary review phase, I was wondering can you tell me what that means? reason why I also took the test on a Sunday in October and I had an interview in November and was told they will be notifying either way for a start date after the new year and I have not heard anything since, was wondering if either one of you or anyone you know received a second interview or been called for a job? Thanks and i wish you both the best in getting to the ultimate goal of becoming an operator!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wolasam in Gretna, Louisiana

32 months ago

I will graduate in May 2012 from Ptech program. However Im wondering if there is any further studies I can take in any related field to advance. let it be energy, refinery, chemical, instrumentation, etc.Let me know if you have any idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Orange, Texas

32 months ago

JohnnyW,

Congrats on the interview. I did not get a interview and my status is in secondary review. I not sure what that means for you but, I am pretty certain what it means for me. I wish you the best of luck and let me know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

johnyw in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

RyanA in Orange, Texas said: JohnnyW,

Congrats on the interview. I did not get a interview and my status is in secondary review. I not sure what that means for you but, I am pretty certain what it means for me. I wish you the best of luck and let me know how it goes.

Thanks man. It sounds like their still interviewing if it says "in secondary review" do you know how long its been saying that? I will definitely let you know what happens, I see you live in Orange have you applied for Invista they just posted about 2.5 weeks ago on their website I applied lastnight, if you haven't you should!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Pasadena, Texas

32 months ago

Johnnyw in Houston, Texas said: Hey Khali and RyanA I'm new to this forum but like you two I have been applying everywhere to become a operator I see you both state you are in secondary review phase, I was wondering can you tell me what that means? reason why I also took the test on a Sunday in October and I had an interview in November and was told they will be notifying either way for a start date after the new year and I have not heard anything since, was wondering if either one of you or anyone you know received a second interview or been called for a job? Thanks and i wish you both the best in getting to the ultimate goal of becoming an operator!

hi...
i didnt take any test yet....i just applied at conoco--its on second review...
i applied couple other companies like B.P,enterprise products,tpc,air produts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

khali in Pasadena, Texas

32 months ago

johnyw in Houston, Texas said: Thanks man. It sounds like their still interviewing if it says "in secondary review" do you know how long its been saying that? I will definitely let you know what happens, I see you live in Orange have you applied for Invista they just posted about 2.5 weeks ago on their website I applied lastnight, if you haven't you should!

for invista--i think u need process tech degree.....i just have degree but not process tech...
will they accept?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnnyw in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

khali in Pasadena, Texas said: for invista--i think u need process tech degree.....i just have degree but not process tech...
will they accept?

I always apply no matter what they ask for Im going into my 2nd semester for ptech and I have been in the industry as a contractor for over 4 years just to give you an idea of my situation and I have an interview at one next week, we shall see how it goes. It only takes 20 minutes of your day to apply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arsenic in North Hollywood, California

32 months ago

I am going to start taking refinery entrance exams soon. My math skills are really low because I had terrible teachers in both high school and in middle school. Can you guys recommend me some excellent books or websites to study that relate to the type of questions that refiners ask in their exams, and that will also teach me how to do math and solve problems.

One of my goals this year is to pass the Exxon mobile test.

I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

OperatorJoe in Baytown, Texas

32 months ago

Middle school and high school teachers are the reason your math is poor? Seriously
Folks need to stop blaming Educators and take the blame themselves. Sorry rant over but study basic math and algebra. Google should have some educational websites to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.