Process Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3001 to 3050 of 14365)
Page:  « First « Previous   58  59  60  61  62  63  64  Next »   Last »

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana

36 months ago

I have a question, i got offered a warehouse type job, it's not really a process tech job but similar to one,the company is real small about 5-6 people for a salary in the 30k per yr area, and this job has no benefits, would it be a good decision to take this job or decline it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ChristinaCHUBAJohnson in Bridge City, Texas

36 months ago

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana said: I have a question, i got offered a warehouse type job, it's not really a process tech job but similar to one,the company is real small about 5-6 people for a salary in the 30k per yr area, and this job has no benefits, would it be a good decision to take this job or decline it?

It gets you experience. I'm at an environmental company doing ldar data entry making $14 :/
I did get a call from Veolia for a lab tech position if anyone has knowledge of this type of position and the starting rates please give feed back!

36 months ago

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana said: okay

is it a full time position? And do you have kids. I understand the worry benefits are very important. Do you have prior experience or just the degree?

36 months ago

ChristinaCHUBAJohnson in Bridge City, Texas said: is it a full time position? And do you have kids. I understand the worry benefits are very important. Do you have prior experience or just the degree?

Yeah its a full time job, no kids, i have 2 months of plant experience, and i'm getting my degree in 2 weeks....at this place, alto of people are quitting the owner said, and i've spoken to a guy who works there also

36 months ago

I would take it you get better experience than what I'm getting lol

36 months ago

ChristinaCHUBAJohnson in Bridge City, Texas said: I would take it you get better experience than what I'm getting lol

kool, i'm also waiting on for Dow to contact me, i got my test results yesterday and i passed it

Rivers in San Antonio, Texas

36 months ago

After y'all received a verbal offer how long did it take to get the offer letter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dustin87 in Lafayette, Louisiana

36 months ago

Bpf in League City, Texas said: Can you get it to me too? Flannman70@aol.com

Can i get the same info sent to my email also? Lewis.Dustin87@gmail.com

36 months ago

jay2689 in Houston, Texas said: Has anybody heard anything about their test results from Valero in Houston ?

Im still waiting on that myself. Have you heard if anyone started getting info?

36 months ago

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana said: I passed the Dow Chemical test in plaquemine, La for the operations position, does anyone knows Dow hiring process, what do they look at for choosing the right people for interviews?..i graduate next week and will get my Ptec Degree, i have 3 months of plant experience.

I applied for a few jobs at Dow yesterday. How long did it take for them to offer u a test?

36 months ago

Dustin87 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: I applied for a few jobs at Dow yesterday. How long did it take for them to offer u a test?

Good luck man, my timeline went like this
April 29th- I applied
May 6- I've got invited to a test
May- 13th took the test
May 14th- got my test results back

36 months ago

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana said: Good luck man, my timeline went like this
April 29th- I applied
May 6- I've got invited to a test
May- 13th took the test
May 14th- got my test results back

I sure hope my timeline goes as well. I think Exxon is screwing me cuz i took the test before my boy and they already called him for an interview smh

Operator-Andrew in Sf bay, California

36 months ago

What Dow site are you guys receiving results from?

36 months ago

Operator-Andrew in Sf bay, California said: What Dow site are you guys receiving results from?

louisiana operations, Plaquemine, La

36 months ago

Dustin87 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: I sure hope my timeline goes as well. I think Exxon is screwing me cuz i took the test before my boy and they already called him for an interview smh

Yeah man just hang in there, hopefully i get a call, exxon usually hire a large number of people man, so you may be good

36 months ago

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana said: Yeah man just hang in there, hopefully i get a call, exxon usually hire a large number of people man, so you may be good

Yea thats what i heard also. I took that valero test last week and the discouraged everyone when they said they're only hiring 23 lol smh

36 months ago

Dustin87 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: Yea thats what i heard also. I took that valero test last week and the discouraged everyone when they said they're only hiring 23 lol smh

That's a pretty good number there though man lol, you have a ptec degree or plant experience ?

36 months ago

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana said: That's a pretty good number there though man lol, you have a ptec degree or plant experience ?

Nah. I have a bachelors degree and im a full time firefighter so have experience in emergency responds

36 months ago

Dustin87 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: Nah. I have a bachelors degree and im a full time firefighter so have experience in emergency responds

Oh, that's still good, it paints a big picture about safety to them once they look at your resume, safety is a big aspect of a plant

Mike in Vidor, Texas

36 months ago

Just started Valero's BOT class and I can say that actually very little of the class have PTECH degrees or even plant experience. I would say the biggest factor there is almost half have military experience. It really is best to just be well rounded. The interview process wasn't bad at all (talk about safety and teamwork!) and I received my offer letter just a day or two after the phone notification. Don't give up because better than 50% of their operator work force is retirement eligible within the next 5 years. Valero seems like a great company to work for, they really go above and beyond to take care of their people. Good luck to all you who applied.

36 months ago

Mike in Vidor, Texas said: Just started Valero's BOT class and I can say that actually very little of the class have PTECH degrees or even plant experience. I would say the biggest factor there is almost half have military experience. It really is best to just be well rounded. The interview process wasn't bad at all (talk about safety and teamwork!) and I received my offer letter just a day or two after the phone notification. Don't give up because better than 50% of their operator work force is retirement eligible within the next 5 years. Valero seems like a great company to work for, they really go above and beyond to take care of their people. Good luck to all you who applied.

I have firefighting experience do you think that equal to military experience?

36 months ago

ray in Saint Francisville, Louisiana said: Oh, that's still good, it paints a big picture about safety to them once they look at your resume, safety is a big aspect of a plant

Thats totally how i feel about it but im not the hiring manager or even a recruiter and they make the Decisions lol

Mike in Vidor, Texas

36 months ago

Dustin87 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: I have firefighting experience do you think that equal to military experience?

Yeah that is good as well I would think. Just be sure and have a well written resume posted with your application and I think you would have a very good chance to get an interview at least. I think 1200 applied for the class I was in, then like 800 tested, don't know how many passed, but something like 90 got an interview and 20 were hired. So if you even get an interview you have already overcome some pretty good odds, so no reason not to feel confident about the interview itself.

36 months ago

Mike in Vidor, Texas said: Yeah that is good as well I would think. Just be sure and have a well written resume posted with your application and I think you would have a very good chance to get an interview at least. I think 1200 applied for the class I was in, then like 800 tested, don't know how many passed, but something like 90 got an interview and 20 were hired. So if you even get an interview you have already overcome some pretty good odds, so no reason not to feel confident about the interview itself.

Yea. I ask the HR lady at the test last week what they're looking when selecting the 100 to interview and said basically said it doesnt matter. What kind of background did you have?

Desiree12 in Pasadena, Texas

36 months ago

Hello I am getting my degree in PTECH and I have a few concerns. I am 23 and have no children, I was reading a little about health and environmental hazards when working in a refinery and how it effects women's ability to get pregnant/ have a healthy baby. Are there any female Operators that can give me a little insight? Or does anyone know of any female operators that have had a healthy pregnancy after a few years in the industry?

jay2689 in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

Hello, I'm not a woman, but there was a woman at my plant that got pregnant, and they moved her to desk duty the whole time she was pregnant. So maybe you can ask the company you are applying for, if they would do the same thing. Good Luck.

terry68 in Mobile, Alabama

36 months ago

Hey I just interviewed with ExxonMobil and I'm just trying to confirm if its true or not that Exxon is the only major oil company that doesn't give its operators a yearly bonus. Does anyone know for sure?

ABourgeois in Texas City, Texas

36 months ago

Desiree12 in Pasadena, Texas said: Hello I am getting my degree in PTECH and I have a few concerns. I am 23 and have no children, I was reading a little about health and environmental hazards when working in a refinery and how it effects women's ability to get pregnant/ have a healthy baby. Are there any female Operators that can give me a little insight? Or does anyone know of any female operators that have had a healthy pregnancy after a few years in the industry?

Hi Desiree. I'm a woman, and although I have not yet been hired on with a plant, I'm certain I will soon. I have a 5 year old son, and plan on having more within the next five years. When I was in school, I was told b an instructor that it is pretty much standard procedure for a pregnant operator to be moved inside immediately, and until she either gives birth, or is no longer nursing. A company can be held liable for any birth defects, until the child reaches the age 18.

For this reason, I will wait until I am already working the board to conceive. I want to earn that promotion.

Desiree12 in Pasadena, Texas

36 months ago

Thank you

outlaw josey whales in Van Vleck, Texas

36 months ago

Do anyone know what the interview process is like for Invista plants? panel/group/behavioral?

Rivers in Pasadena, Texas

36 months ago

How long does it take plants to do a background Check?

Bmtgie in Texas

36 months ago

Got offered a job from SGS at the Dow location in Deer Park for loader.

Anyone have any tips?

Oh... I'm scheduled to take the pre-employment test for Dow for the Deer Park plant tomorrow. Say I get an interview for Dow Deer Park location, could it hurt/better my chances that I'm already working there for SGS???

Rivers in Pasadena, Texas

36 months ago

I think it could help since you would already be familiar with the plant

36 months ago

Bmtgie in Texas said: Got offered a job from SGS at the Dow location in Deer Park for loader.

Anyone have any tips?

Oh... I'm scheduled to take the pre-employment test for Dow for the Deer Park plant tomorrow. Say I get an interview for Dow Deer Park location, could it hurt/better my chances that I'm already working there for SGS???

It would be great! If you don't get it this time you will meet operators and people you can use on your résumé for next time!
Do not pass up this opportunity
Congrats!

36 months ago

Bmtie,
Congrats ! I have to interview with them next week. Do they give you any king of pay range ?

eason in Metairie, Louisiana

36 months ago

I'm currently a truck driver saving up to pay for my PTEC degree and will start that in Aug 2014. Does anyone know if you can take some of the core courses like math, chemistry and such online or is every course required to be taken in class? I'd start taking classes much sooner if it's offered online.

Newtexan in Spring, Texas

36 months ago

Eason in Metairie, Louisiana said: I'm currently a truck driver saving up to pay for my PTEC degree and will start that in Aug 2014. Does anyone know if you can take some of the core courses like math, chemistry and such online or is every course required to be taken in class? I'd start taking classes much sooner if it's offered online.

Look at your local community college you want to attend. Most all community colleges has online classes, I would start taking what you can afford now. Even fill out your FAFSA and try for grants. I am going to do at least 6 class from my degree plan online. I would not recommend English,math, or chemistry online. For me that would be WAY to hard, for you it might be okay.

John in Itatiba, Brazil

36 months ago

Eason in Metairie, Louisiana said: I'm currently a truck driver saving up to pay for my PTEC degree and will start that in Aug 2014. Does anyone know if you can take some of the core courses like math, chemistry and such online or is every course required to be taken in class? I'd start taking classes much sooner if it's offered online.

Eason,
I just started my first class at Bismarck State College and doing the courses online, there PTEC program has been around since the early 80's - Most of my classmates are already in the industry.

I dropped my Business Administration degree a couple of months ago to pursue my PTEC degree, so I had all my general ed classes out of the way. English,Science, and other classes online were not bad at all. Online courses is a lot more reading and writing in general, as that is mostly how the discussion is carried for the class.

I was always good in Math and I found that tough to relearn for my online course -

Also you can do part time with them - The people I worked with to get goin at the school were extremely friendly and competent. I am doing the course out of state but tuition is still lot cheaper then my last school. I think its costing about 262 a credit. I would compare it to, some of your local schools in LA and see how price compares.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jake23 in houston

36 months ago

Realistically, how much does the associates degree help with landing a position as an operator for anyone whos finished, or is already an operator?

Laurence Jones in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

36 months ago

jake23 in houston said: Realistically, how much does the associates degree help with landing a position as an operator for anyone whos finished, or is already an operator?

Having that Ptec degree or certification is really huge when it comes to landing a job in the Petro/Chemical field as a Process Operator. It helps separate you from everyone else applying for the position. I landed a job a little over two months after graduating last year. Now your still going to have to score well on the Pre Employment exams and kick ass in the interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator-Andrew in Sf bay, California

36 months ago

My site has, at times, not hired anyone with Ptech degree.
Then again they have hired those only 3 months in.
Ptech grads get a higher base pay - even when hired on before graduating. When this happens most don't even go back for their degree- they've landed the job and see it as pointless.
without plant experience you need to hit enough *ticks*
For instance- when I first applied at Dow I wasn't invited for testing. They didn't accept anyone who had never handled chemicals. Duh me- I didn't take into account adding chlorine to the wash as handling chemicals. ;p
Second time I ticked enough questions correctly and was invited to test- landing the job.
We've lost a few ops recently (more will be leaving) due to PG&E they are supposed to be paying $38+

Laurence Jones in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

36 months ago

I remember being told this by many of my instructors when I was in school last year. If your willing to relocate you'll find work quicker than most people and that in my case turned out to be true. There are over 100 Chemical Refineries up here in the Chicago Metro area, but there are only 3 oil refineries in the area. Exxon Mobile in Joliet,IL, Citgo in Lemont,IL, and BP in Whitting,IND. However there are over 9 million people who live within the Chicago Metro Area so there simply aren't enough jobs and competition is really tough. I decided to take my chances and apply in different cities and that worked wonderfully for me. We just hired a guy a week ago who has a B.S in Nuclear Engineering and he was not able to find work in the Chicago Area other than selling computers for $13 at best buy. Now that should tell you how tough the Chicago Area is when a guy with a Nuclear Engineering Degree can't find work, you know its tough. He like myself decided to look outside of the Chicago Area and he ended up here working for Valero like myself. If your hungry enough you'll go where ever you have to, to get somewhere. Where ever that maybe.

5bri3 in Baytown, Texas

36 months ago

Has anyone heard from Shell about the internship yet?

jj25 in Converse, Texas

36 months ago

jake23 in houston said: Realistically, how much does the associates degree help with landing a position as an operator for anyone whos finished, or is already an operator?

I never could get an interview before I started ptech. During school, I landed an internship and eventually got on with a company. I had multiple job offers also after I graduated. Some important things you could do is learn how to create a great résumé and learn how to interview. A good résumé is a great selling tool that will open many doors for you and give you a chance to sell yourself during an interview. If you are still a student, I would suggest getting the best grades possible and putting your GPA on your résumé. Also, be sure to put down all of your academic achievents on the resume as well!

wmrcer in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

jay2689 in Houston, Texas said: Wmrecr,
Did you tell them about your misdemeanor during your interview ? I got turned down after I signed my offer letter and drug test. And I don't even have any felonies. I just got an offer from another company, and now I wonder if I should tell them up front.

I discloded it on the application and it never came up again from there.

wmrcer in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

*disclosed*

John Doe in Corpus Christi, Texas

36 months ago

I recently was let go from a refinery due to a situation with a coworker that had issues with me. I tried to go to HR and let them know of the situation before it got out of hand but they in turned let me and the other guy go because we were still in the training program. This is sad because I worked so hard to get here and now I have to start my life all over. Does anyone know of any plants in the Houston or Louisiana that may be hiring? All im asking for is another chance

36 months ago

Cool ! So far so good.

jj25

36 months ago

John Doe in Corpus Christi, Texas said: I recently was let go from a refinery due to a situation with a coworker that had issues with me. I tried to go to HR and let them know of the situation before it got out of hand but they in turned let me and the other guy go because we were still in the training program. This is sad because I worked so hard to get here and now I have to start my life all over. Does anyone know of any plants in the Houston or Louisiana that may be hiring? All im asking for is another chance

Google process operator in Louisiana or Texas. Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck to you.

Smityboi

36 months ago

Hi all I am taking the Operational Battery test with exxonmobile on 5/31 does anyone have any tips or advice? thanks

Page:  « First « Previous   58  59  60  61  62  63  64  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.