Process Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 17472)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

Texasboyz in Groves, Texas

70 months ago

I know someone who got a job at Capital One with a Bachelors in Finance.He is working as a bank teller getting paid $9.00 an hour.You can try to apply there.This is not the right section of the forums if you're not interested in ptech.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

rudyvalentino77 in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

Hey take it easy fellas. The guy just needs a little guidance that's all. I asked him what test he was taking at a plant since he is not interested in operations, I am not sure what test that would be. Did y'all hear about the possible strikes? I was at work and wondering if we were going to stay past midnight. We reached a deal but it's a crappy deal. I am voting against it and so is everyone I work with.

Reply - Report abuse

abfocus1 in Kenner, Louisiana

70 months ago

rudyvalentino77 in Houston, Texas said: Hey take it easy fellas. The guy just needs a little guidance that's all. I asked him what test he was taking at a plant since he is not interested in operations, I am not sure what test that would be. Did y'all hear about the possible strikes? I was at work and wondering if we were going to stay past midnight. We reached a deal but it's a crappy deal. I am voting against it and so is everyone I work with.

why is it a crappy deal. i work for shell in norco la?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Cypress, Texas

70 months ago

abfocus1 in Kenner,

What's the skinny with the contract? What was the big sticking point with the union and the company?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

RyanA in Cypress, Texas said: abfocus1 in Kenner,

What's the skinny with the contract? What was the big sticking point with the union and the company?

i know they were focus on safety and not the money part. i know we are getting 2 1/2, 3 and 3 for the next 3 years. what is the skinny?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Cypress, Texas

70 months ago

abfocus1 in Kenner,

Thanks for the info. The "Skinny" would be another term referring to the "deal" or " what's happening". Cutting away the fat and getting to the high points.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

RyanA in Cypress, Texas said: abfocus1 in Kenner,

Thanks for the info. The "Skinny" would be another term referring to the "deal" or " what's happening". Cutting away the fat and getting to the high points.

lol you had me going. who do you work for?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

70 months ago

If your not interested in being an operator then dont pursue it! There are plenty of people that will jump at the chance to become an operator. And your finance degree means diddly.

Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Cypress, Texas

70 months ago

abfocus1 in Kenner, Louisiana said: lol you had me going. who do you work for?

I am in the process of closing the deal with Valero in Texas. Need physical and drug test.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

it is a crappy deal because we are getting smaller raises, no signing bonus, they are trying to change the o.t. policies mandating more rest, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. We will know more in the next few days. We are taking steps back instead of steps forward. It affects the newer people even more because we are the ones who are going to be around in the future. I work for Shell Deer Park.

Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Katy, Texas

70 months ago

Houston area-

What school would you recommend for the PROCESS TECH DEGREE in the Houston area? Which school are better than others. I'm located in the southwest Houston area if that helps any. I've been working in plants for the last five+ years and am wanting to get my degree and be an operator until I retire.

Thanks in advance

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

johnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

RyanA in Cypress, Texas said: I am in the process of closing the deal with Valero in Texas. Need physical and drug test.

Congrats on the great opportunity I wish you nothing but the best of luck on your future career as an operator, Valero is a great company.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

johnyw in Houston, Texas said: Congrats on the great opportunity I wish you nothing but the best of luck on your future career as an operator, Valero is a great company.

Johnyw,

Thanks! I am very excited about this opportunity. I have been chasing a job like this for the last 8 months. I went as far as driving to Norco, La to test. If you want something you have to go after it. I look forward to working for Valero. I have heard many great things about them. Once again, thanks for the congrats.

Reply - Report abuse

johnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

I was recently hired by a chemical plant in Pasadena as an operator and I'm very excited about it and have been pursuing it for a very long time, I would like to keep the name under raps for the moment but I will put it in my list of places to apply that everyone looks over. Their was a lot of patience and dedication went into getting to this point no one handed me anything its all my doing mostly off trail and error, research and a little common sense, I'm hoping writing this helps someone get it right the first time.

I told myself this is something I would do once I got hired as an operator since everybody who does get hired never comes back to this forum and does it and that is give good advice on becoming an operator and I'm talking about the questions know one knows to ask because they are not familiar on what to ask, so for those who are looking for guidance at any step of the process you can take this advice or leave it but its just advice intended to help those who have questions and can't find answers.

Reply - Report abuse

johnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

I want to start off first and say I have been pursuing this since august 2007 and went on for about a year and gave up which was the wrong thing to do, and then june 2011 I started again, I applied over 100 companies and had some test, and interviews. When I quit trying the first go around back in 2007 I went the route of contractor in the industry because I assumed that I could get plant experience, that way and then become recognized by companies to become an operator which wasn't completely true. I have been a contractor for 3 years and taking online courses in PTEC only took 2 courses fall semester and got hired as an operator. So im saying I have no cert. nor do I have a degree in anything and I was hired as an operator, don’t get me wrong I commend those who do have this things and I wish I would have went straight to school for it and im still going to pursue getting my cert even though I got the job, im saying all of this because a lot of people say you have to have this and that to get hired and its not true companies hire people who they feel can be an asset to the company regardless of your school or professional background.

Reply - Report abuse

johnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

First thing you should do is get your resume right and make sure its not all over the place but simple and to the point, this is a problem that I had until a friend who works for Exxon told me it wasn’t going to cut it. I took his advice and went out and googled plant operator resumes and I was shocked when I saw actual real operator resumes pop up, once I reviewed a few I saw a pattern and I set out to make my resume look like there’s and when I say that I mean the language they used for example if you work at McDonalds you wouldn’t write on your resume I cook fries, burgers, mop floors, and work the cash register if your looking to become a operator, you would say your comfortable in a fast paced environment, safety conscious, great writing and verbal communication skills, and a multi tasker, and team player this is the type of verbage you should use. Also create a universal cover letter that you can send to multiple companies explaining how you have recognized how safe and clean the facility is kept and how important safety is to you and how much of an asset you would be to them.

Reply - Report abuse

johnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

Now that your resume and cover letter is good go out and apply, there are so many operator type positions thru out the industry don’t get stuck on just chemical and refinery operator you also have positions like pipeline operator and terminal operator for those that don’t know there are 2 classifications of being an operator continuous and batch you should research these 2 on wiki or just Google. One thing that I see thats irritating on this forum is people making list of places they would like to work because its unrealistic you should apply everywhere you can not just from a list if you truly want to succeed in finding a job. For those not familiar with all the chemical plants and refineries you should take a drive on a few of your off days and write down all the facilities on 225 and 146 to know all of them so you can start applying because waiting on shell, BP, DuPont, Dow, and Exxon to hire your are putting yourself behind further and further because there are so many other places with a lot less competition. Once your familiar call them or walk-in to there office if possible and ask if they will be conducting interviews for operators anytime soon. Make sure you also familiarize yourself with recruiting companies like certified and gojohnson.

Reply - Report abuse

johnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

As a lot of us know companies test before they interview but there are some who just interview and don’t test at all. The test is nothing to take for granted and this is a mistake I made in the beginning I don’t care how good in school you were you need to study, some test are different and if possible you should ask what kind of test you will be taking when your asked to come in, a lot of companies now or adding that info into the email invite. You have mechanical aptitude which can be pretty tricky pick up the barrons mechanical aptitude workbook, you also have math which you can go online or pick up a SAT, ACT or GRE study guide booklet and review the math section and the reading and comprehension section, some places have a ACT styled test called work keys that’s given and you can actually call ACT and pay them $60 to get a lot of practice test to get you ready for that.

Reply - Report abuse

johnnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

Now to the interview which is exciting but at the same time can make you nervous do not I repeat do not go into an interview unprepared for what you will be asked trust me you will look like a deer in the headlights and it sucks. What you should do is study what they call S.T.A.R interview questions (situation, task, action, and result) or as some know as behavioral based questions. Companies really do follow this method when interviewing its pretty universal in the industry

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

The key to being ready for this so you can show confidence in an interview.The best thing you can do is remember stories that have you have shown motivation, initiative, planning, team work and customer service. in Go over those questions over and over again until you can tell that same story different ways with the same result and it not sound rehearsed.

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Afetr the interview send a post interview email the next day telling the person or persons how excited you are to join a company that believes in all the same things you do pertaining to safety and team work and how you would be a great fit in the company.

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

This is not a guarantee for anyone a job nor am I getting paid for this Im doing it because I wish someone would have done it for me a longtime ago so I wouldn’t have missed over other opportunities that I had, don’t get me wrong im happy with the company im with and see myself retiring from here I just know the opportunity could have come a lot sooner if I had this information. If you don’t have PTEC enroll in 1 or 2 online courses and put it on your resume it shows the company that your showing the initiative to get the cert or degree and just keep taking the courses until you get hired either you will get one or the other hopefully it’s the job first a school that’s 100% online for those who cant work a fulltime job and attend campus classes like me is coastline community college this is where I took my 2 courses.

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I wish everyone the best of luck in pursuing a great career in operations and hope this helps anyone with questions now or in the future when looking at this thread.

Places to look into for those not familiar and theres many more
Norco
Green Earth Fuels
Sekisui
Celanese
PRSI
Lubrizol
ITC
Enterprise Products
Mainstream
Braskem

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I wish everyone the best of luck in pursuing a great career in operations and hope this helps anyone with questions now or in the future when looking at this thread.

Norco,Green Earth Fuels,Sekisui,Celanese,PRSI,Lubrizol,ITC,Enterprise Products,Mainstream,Braskem

Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Cypress, Texas

70 months ago

Johnnyw in Houston, Texas said: I wish everyone the best of luck in pursuing a great career in operations and hope this helps anyone with questions now or in the future when looking at this thread.

Norco
Green Earth Fuels
Sekisui
Celanese
PRSI
Lubrizol
ITC
Enterprise Products
Mainstream
Braskem

JohnnyW,

Excellent post. What you have posted is critical to success. Thank you for taking the time to share your past experiences. This forum has helped me and I hope that I to can help out others. Good job!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

tx409 in Texas

70 months ago

rudyvalentino77 in Houston, Texas said: Tx409 if you are not interested in plant operations then this forum may not be for you. A Bachelors in Finance may help you get in with the financial department of an oil company. What test are you taking at a plant later this month?

Operations test. I know a few people higher up within the plant and they told me to go on ahead and take the test.

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

That is exactly right. I am currently working on my MBA in Project Management so I can have more options. Operations is a good way to start and build a bit of a work history. Good luck

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

70 months ago

It would be a drive for you but I suggest SanJac Central. They have a glycol unit on sight to use.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

70 months ago

Thoroughly agree with this comment. I, like most people, had Shell, Exxon and BP on the top of my list. I eventually broadened my scope and got hired on by TPC Group. Best decision I've ever made. I've been there six months and I make over $30 an hour.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

tx409 in Texas

70 months ago

rudyvalentino77 in Houston, Texas said: That is exactly right. I am currently working on my MBA in Project Management so I can have more options. Operations is a good way to start and build a bit of a work history. Good luck

How are you pulling that off (grad school) with the work schedule that's required of an operator?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

OperatorJoe in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

It's really not hard. You'll only miss one class a month and then you can just attend another session for that week. Also there are only courses.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

On-line school. Not the same as a traditional brick and mortar school but it's accredited and my company pays for it with tuition reimbursement so why not?

Reply - Report abuse

dlcuevas1@*****.*** in Albuquerque, New Mexico

70 months ago

Hi all, I currently have a great job with a semiconductor company, almost 20 years. The place is too far from my family. I test for Valero this month. I will be 50 this year, I have no degree. Can anyone advice regarding the climate for 50 year old females as relief operators? I am sure my resume with my Intel credentials is the only reason I got an offer to test. I have been away from the processing equipment for around 10 years and work mainly with engineers on DOE's and Process troubleshooting. I am concerned it leaves me at a disadvantage for the mechanical aptitude test. I have certifications from Tokyo Electronics but they are old. If you fail testing are you ever allowed to retake?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

syrinx2012 in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

Jeff, I am waiting to be called by TPC, I am number 30 out of 40 in the pool of the last hiring....you give me great news, I didnt know they paid so well, dont they start off at $26/hr? Can you tell me any more about why you like it? I am waiting to work there and don't know much about TPC

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

OperatorJoe in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

What do they make ? Never heard of the company.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

70 months ago

Yes started out at that but got my raise at six months plus we got a COLA raise. Great company. Small, only 70 operators at HNO, but lots of experience! about 2/3 of the operators have been at the plant over 20 years.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Deer Park, Texas

70 months ago

We make 40% of the BD produced in the western hemisphere as well as butene 1, PIB, DIB, MTBE, raffinate and some specialty performance products.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Nathan in Bozeman, Montana

70 months ago

Is anyone familiar with powerplant tech degrees? Are they similar to PTech degrees? On Bismarck state colleges website it basically says Powerplant tech guys make more.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kevinlm in Lumberton, Texas

70 months ago

Johnnyw in Houston, Texas said: I wish everyone the best of luck in pursuing a great career in operations and hope this helps anyone with questions now or in the future when looking at this thread.

Norco,Green Earth Fuels,Sekisui,Celanese,PRSI,Lubrizol,ITC,Enterprise Products,Mainstream,Braskem

Johnnyw: Thank you for your thread. I am 39 and desperately want to find an Operator job. Your thread has given me some guidance and I am now formulating a plan. I will be taking the test with ExxonMobil on 21st. I have been studying but will definetly find the Barrons Mechanical Aptitude book. Will also be fixing my resume and cover letter. Appreciate all the info.

Reply - Report abuse

Johnnyw in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

KevinLM in Lumberton, Texas said: Johnnyw: Thank you for your thread. I am 39 and desperately want to find an Operator job. Your thread has given me some guidance and I am now formulating a plan. I will be taking the test with ExxonMobil on 21st. I have been studying but will definetly find the Barrons Mechanical Aptitude book. Will also be fixing my resume and cover letter. Appreciate all the info.

No problem just continue to stay hungry for it and your time will come it did for me, you might want to also pick up a SAT or ACT study guide for the reading comprehension section of the Exxonmobil test if you don't already have it good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

eric in Hallsville, Texas

70 months ago

do any of the plants hire felons with a 10 clean background

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

OperatorJoe in Spring, Texas

70 months ago

No

Reply - Report abuse

OperatorJoe in Spring, Texas

70 months ago

Nope

Reply - Report abuse

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas

70 months ago

OperatorJoe in Spring, Texas said: Nope

Go ahead and aly. AAll they can do is tell you no.

Reply - Report abuse

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas

70 months ago

OperatorJoe in Spring, Texas said: Nope

Go ahead and apply. all they can do is tell you no.

Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

Dusty Roads in Pasadena, Texas said: Go ahead and apply. all they can do is tell you no.

I agree. I would apply and see what they say. The worse they can say us no. There are a few plants that openly state that a record is ok.

Reply - Report abuse

RyanA in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

eric in Hallsville, Texas said: do any of the plants hire felons with a 10 clean background

I believe there are a few they will openly state that a criminal background is acceptable. It will be a smaller plant. Good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

bass112381@*****.***

70 months ago

I was wantin to know if anybody in here is familiar with with operator apprentice job selection process at boise cascade in deridder. I have been tryin to get in the industry for a while now. I have a 4yr bachelors and a semester in ptech. What are employers lookin for and how can I better my chances of gettin hired.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Beaumont, Texas

70 months ago

Hello all,

I graduated with a Marketing degree but I am interested in working for Exxon, Motiva, or Valero. I am scheduled to take the Exxon test next tuesday and I have taken the Shell test before and passed but never got chose for an interview. My dad has been working for Exxon for 30+ years and he was telling me how without a operator degree I may not get hired. Is this true? Also my stepfather works for Motiva as the head of environmental specialist....whats up with me not even getting considered for an interview? I also have about a year of plant experience as an contractor for a company called Abclean

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Texasboyz in Groves, Texas

70 months ago

My friend use to work at ExxonMobil in the human resource department and he said for process operating jobs,they don't like hiring people with a degree unrelated to ptech because it's risky .Because if they're hired and don't like the job,they can quit anytime and look for another job with their degree.

For process operating jobs,they like applicants with a ptech degree or no degree with 3+years in manufacturing/refinery industry

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.