Southeast Texas Industry Update

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

bad_billy_goat in Lake Jackson, Texas

40 months ago

Just got out of a ptech meeting with industry reps from the major chemical plants in Brazoria County (DOW, BASF, ConocoPhillips, LNG, ShinTech, STP, DCM).

Here are some statics for everyone.

Ever major chemical plant down here will have about half or more of their operators eligible for retirement in less than five years. The same is true for maintence crafts, instrumentation, and lab tech.

Most major chemical plants will be hiring replacement operators even before they are needed to fill this need for the next five years.

Several major chemical plants have reinstated scholarship funds to encourage Ptech studies.

The one downside.

Even with the increased hiring the market is still very staturated. I heard in my hiring class of thirty there was still close to 600 applicants for thirty process operator spots. My own observation has been that most of the new hires have operations experience, a four degree, above the age of thirty, and/or previous military.

While things might not be great yet, the second coming of Ptech is almost here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AC in Port Arthur, Texas

27 months ago

bad_billy_goat in Lake Jackson, Texas said: Just got out of a ptech meeting with industry reps from the major chemical plants in Brazoria County (DOW, BASF, ConocoPhillips, LNG, ShinTech, STP, DCM).

Here are some statics for everyone.

Ever major chemical plant down here will have about half or more of their operators eligible for retirement in less than five years. The same is true for maintence crafts, instrumentation, and lab tech.

Most major chemical plants will be hiring replacement operators even before they are needed to fill this need for the next five years.

Several major chemical plants have reinstated scholarship funds to encourage Ptech studies.

The one downside.

Even with the increased hiring the market is still very staturated. I heard in my hiring class of thirty there was still close to 600 applicants for thirty process operator spots. My own observation has been that most of the new hires have operations experience, a four degree, above the age of thirty, and/or previous military.

While things might not be great yet, the second coming of Ptech is almost here.

Goat,

Any updates on the status of industry hiring in Brazoria County as we finish out 2012?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.