Tesoro in Wilmington, CA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 234)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

xnmmi in Lancaster, California

23 months ago

Went to the test for the Process Op Trainee (Field) slot last Monday the 13th. There were probably 200-250 for 20-25 slots the HR lady said. We will hear back on the pass/fail of the test this week or next then 1-2 weeks after if you pass you would hear about an interview appointment. She said they want to have the new hires on board "in Nomex and steel toes" by the end of September. I felt good on the 5 parts of the test, but, we'll see - hard to say what 'passing" is on it. I'll move forward if it is meant to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Torrance, California

23 months ago

Good luck to you. I took the test last Friday. I also wondered how they graded the 5 parts of the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Don in Torrance, California said: Good luck to you. I took the test last Friday. I also wondered how they graded the 5 parts of the test.

Thanks Don - same to you - Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

@ Don in Torrence Hey, was just wondering if you have heard from Tesoro about your test results - not what your result was, of course - just if you had heard yet. The HR chick Amber said it would be "2, maybe 3 weeks" that we would hear, we're there now. I guess the week after Labor Day, maybe?

Later (I'll post when I hear)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Still haven't heard anything yet..my fear was that they were already making interview appts with ones that passed. Honestly I thought today would be last day for them to contact me if I failed as it's been a long time since the testing.??!! Hope I'm wrong.

22 months ago

I meant I thought today would be last day if I passed..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Well, the chick (Amber) was pretty adamant about contacting everyone regardless to let them know whether they passed or not...I'm thinking maybe the turnout was so large that they just haven't processed everything - hope so anyway. She then said twice that it would be 1-2 weeks AFTER the test result email that the interview emails would go out - mid September, perhaps??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Makes sense.. I hope you are right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Los Angeles, California

22 months ago

I hope the process did not come to a complete stop. The day I took the test they acquired Arco and she was not sure what affect that would have on the process. I hope the acquisition did not make them change their minds.

22 months ago

Yeah, I saw that when I got home that day as well. You tested on the 13th? It would seem the slots we are looking at would be separate from the ones they just bought. But, you are probably correct that it is holding things up - I can't see them stopping their annual cattle call completely because of a new purchase.

Keep in touch here if you get any word, would you Jack? maybe between the 3 of us we can figure out what's what.

later.

22 months ago

will do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Just got the "closure" email from Tesoro - just a no thanks, nothing about the testing...

22 months ago

"Closure" - Does that mean you didn't pass the test or that they are not moving forward with hiring at all? Did they give a number or email that you could correspond with them?

22 months ago

Jack in Los Angeles, California said: "Closure" - Does that mean you didn't pass the test or that they are not moving forward with hiring at all? Did they give a number or email that you could correspond with them?

morning- all it said was "after careful consideration I was not selected for the position" - nothing about pass or fail and it was from the usual "do not reply" email address.

Jericho in Fairbanks, Alaska

22 months ago

xnmmi in Lancaster, California said: morning- all it said was "after careful consideration I was not selected for the position" - nothing about pass or fail and it was from the usual "do not reply" email address.

Hey guys, followed your conversation and was curious if you could give me any hints on what to expect for the test. I test in Kenai, Alaska next week. Which is a 10 hour drive from where I live. Any help would be appreciated.

22 months ago

Jericho in Fairbanks, Alaska said: Hey guys, followed your conversation and was curious if you could give me any hints on what to expect for the test. I test in Kenai, Alaska next week. Which is a 10 hour drive from where I live. Any help would be appreciated.

For Tesoro, correct? It's a 5 part timed test...matching word meanings to each other, block counting, line tracing, math (basic adding/subtraction/div/mult of mixed numbers & fractions) and mechanical comprehension. All of the sections EXCEPT the mech comp section are based on how many right out of how many answered, so best NOT to guess. The mech comp part needs to be answered fully and you'll have the time to do that - the other sections are like 5 minutes for each part... If you haven't done any line tracing or block counting, Google them and get familiar with it. As for the mech comp - it's basically pulleys and gears and then moves up to pressurized tanks and moving product from one to the other - you either know that part or you don't.

I felt good about the whole thing, expected I scored above 85% but, never was told whether I passed or failed, just got the no thanks as I posted. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Operating Tech in Long Beach, California

22 months ago

xnmmi in Lancaster, California said: morning- all it said was "after careful consideration I was not selected for the position" - nothing about pass or fail and it was from the usual "do not reply" email address.

I have been questioning this myself. I found this little forum post by a simple Google search - "Have you heard from Tesoro?" I tested that Monday, and I currently work with two other guys who went in and tested on another day. I know that one of them got the "Closure" email within the past couple weeks (along with several of his close personal friends who tested). But I haven't heard anything at all, and I'm pretty sure the one other guy I work with hasn't heard anything either. He's a bright dude... and I'm sure I whizzed through the test just fine. Who knows. Really, from all the talk of the Tesoro folks on the day of testing, it seemed that they were all gung-ho! about bringing people on. It was also my understanding that we'd be notified "Pass/Fail" by email. Afterall, how long does it take to put a 'scantron' through a machine? I know that when you test for Chevron, you're told whether you pass or fail before you even leave your testing sessions.

Maybe a lot of people passed... or, maybe they're dragging their feet a bit and slowing the process down. I'm in no particular hurry. And I'm not holding my breath.

22 months ago

Jericho in Fairbanks, Alaska said: Hey guys, followed your conversation and was curious if you could give me any hints on what to expect for the test. I test in Kenai, Alaska next week. Which is a 10 hour drive from where I live. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah... and the biggest tip I could give for you is, FOLLOW DIRECTIONS! You will benefit greatly just by paying attention to what you're told, how to take the test, when to take the test, what not to do, etc.

22 months ago

Got the same letter of doom. I have no idea if I passed or failed the test.

"We have received your application for the position of Refinery Operator Trainee - (Field Operator). After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for this position.

We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Tesoro Corporation and wish you all the best in your career."

Joy!

22 months ago

Jack in Los Angeles, California said: Got the same letter of doom. I have no idea if I passed or failed the test.

"We have received your application for the position of Refinery Operator Trainee - (Field Operator). After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for this position.

We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Tesoro Corporation and wish you all the best in your career."

Joy!

Ahhh crap... the sucks man.

But I guess that means they're still processing everything. The one guy I know who got the same email... he got it two weeks ago. I still haven't heard SH*T.

22 months ago

I took another test yesterday and everybody got the same letter from Tesoro. Oh well

Operating Tech in Hawthorne, California

22 months ago

I still haven't heard a thing. I guess no news is good news?

Sam in Garden Grove, California

11 months ago

Anyone here taking the test for "Refinery Operator Trainee" on Aug 5?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Davion_91 in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

Sam in Garden Grove, California said: Anyone here taking the test for "Refinery Operator Trainee" on Aug 5?

Hey Sam, I got that date too my friend at 12:30pm. Good luck, took the test for Valero back in June wasn't too lucky but I'm beyond ready now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

robin in Torrance, California

11 months ago

my fiance got the invite to take the test on Tuesday! hoping for a good outcome

jerry in Lakewood, California

11 months ago

Davion_91 in Los Angeles, California said: Hey Sam, I got that date too my friend at 12:30pm. Good luck, took the test for Valero back in June wasn't too lucky but I'm beyond ready now.

Hey Davion Im Taking Test on Aug 5 Do You Have Any Info On THe Test.

11 months ago

im wondering if everyone who applied got the invite to take the test or if some people were already denied.. anyone know? i do know that the application was only open for a few days so hopefully not too many will be taking the test. How many positions are even open?

Albert in Artesia/Cerritos, CA in Cerritos, California

11 months ago

Hi Robin hope this info helps... I've got a friend that works for Tesoro, he LMK there is 18 openings for this positions. Should be about 250+ heads sitting for the exam Aug 05,. My buddy also said the post was only open for 2 days and 1800 people applied.

"Jerry In Lakewood" can you please send me an email Albert@TDLifeServices.com
I've got some questions regarding exam and was hoping you can help.... very local to you as well.

Thanks in advance
Albert

Albert in Artesia, CA in Cerritos, California

11 months ago

If anyone has any info/material to help score higher in the exam can you please email to.... Albert@TDLifeServices.com

Thank you
Albert

jreyes in Lake Forest, California

11 months ago

I know the application process is closed but would anyone be able to help with info on how to apply for this position? I used to apply through workforcealliance.com a few years ago but apparently the website doesn't exist anymore. From the looks of things Tesoro also changed the process by only allowing 250 people take the exam. They used to allow everyone to do take the test.

vmay in Huntington Beach, California

11 months ago

Hey jreyes, They advertise the openings on Indeed.com for a few days. I took the test on Aug 5, I don't know how they grade it since the first four parts involved doing as many as you can within a time limit.I thought it was pretty tuff, sure I failed it. They said a 1000 people applied and there was only 15 openings and they will take 30 to 50 interviews, so the chance of getting in is pretty slim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CPOKim in Garden Grove, California

11 months ago

The testing was really fun because of the time limit. I messed up at the beginning by answering all the question(guessing the answer involved). The next two section of the test, I wasted a good 2/3 amount of my time filling in the bubble, since the pencil was too sharp(Hint: crack the sharp tip a bit, use the pencil to fill out your name and a good bubbling in circle pencil will be available). Good thing there was no personality test.

Can't wait for next year if I don't get selected. I know I am going to do good on the test a 2nd try, and with a few thing added to the resume, I might get a good shot at an interview.

11 months ago

has anyone received an email? today makes 2 weeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Juan in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

robin in Torrance, California said: has anyone received an email? today makes 2 weeks

Robin, if you are referring to the tesoro carson refinery operator trainee exam, yes. I took the exam on the 5th of August and I received a interview confirmation email last night.

11 months ago

Juan, Thats great to hear that you got an interview! how well did you do on the test and when do interviews begin?

11 months ago

robin in Torrance, California said: Juan, Thats great to hear that you got an interview! how well did you do on the test and when do interviews begin?

Honestly, I felt like I could of done better. I would say that out of the 5 parts of the test, I did good on 3 parts, which were the box counting, line tracing and mechanical aptitude.. My Interview is scheduled for August 27th.

LB in Long Beach, California

11 months ago

Congrats Juan, which day is your interview?

Robin, I also took the exam on Aug 5th but have not received any emails yet.

They told us that we would get an e-mail either ways: one email would invite you to the interview, the other one will let you know that you were not selected.

Let's keep posting as soon as we hear something.

11 months ago

wow thats right around the corner..one week! my fiance took the test on aug 6th and he said the same thing about the test. those these subjects were his best as well.
Im hoping he's gets an email soon because these past weeks have been so slow. Im assuming if you get a job offer (probably by email) the next step is back ground check which could take another several weeks. At which point would they perform a drug test? after back ground or before.. i even heard there was a hair follicle test

11 months ago

LB in Long Beach, California said: Congrats Juan, which day is your interview?

Robin, I also took the exam on Aug 5th but have not received any emails yet.

They told us that we would get an e-mail either ways: one email would invite you to the interview, the other one will let you know that you were not selected.

Let's keep posting as soon as we hear something.

Robin, my interview day is set for August 27th at 830am..

11 months ago

robin in Torrance, California said: wow thats right around the corner..one week! my fiance took the test on aug 6th and he said the same thing about the test. those these subjects were his best as well.
Im hoping he's gets an email soon because these past weeks have been so slow. Im assuming if you get a job offer (probably by email) the next step is back ground check which could take another several weeks. At which point would they perform a drug test? after back ground or before.. i even heard there was a hair follicle test

Robin, yes I really hope your fiancé gets an email with a interview date soon... Good luck!

11 months ago

Juan in Los Angeles, California said: Honestly, I felt like I could of done better. I would say that out of the 5 parts of the test, I did good on 3 parts, which were the box counting, line tracing and mechanical aptitude.. My Interview is scheduled for August 27th.

Hey Juan,

I took it that day as well, and have been on stand by all day. Maybe theyre doing it alphabetically or something. Did you have any experience?

11 months ago

Davion_91 in Los Angeles, California said: Hey Juan,

I took it that day as well, and have been on stand by all day. Maybe theyre doing it alphabetically or something. Did you have any experience?

Davion, I'm not too sure how they are going about choosing the people they want to interview, but if I hear anything I will post . I do have 2 years of industrial maintenance/ cleaning experience. I currently work at tesoro as a contractor though.

11 months ago

Juan in Los Angeles, California said: Davion, I'm not too sure how they are going about choosing the people they want to interview, but if I hear anything I will post . I do have 2 years of industrial maintenance/ cleaning experience. I currently work at tesoro as a contractor though.

Awesome bro, congrats on that. Phillips has an opening as well for an operator. But hopefully I hear something soon, this is a life changer lol.

Juan in Long Beach, California

11 months ago

Davion_91 in Los Angeles, California said: Awesome bro, congrats on that. Phillips has an opening as well for an operator. But hopefully I hear something soon, this is a life changer lol.

I hear you man!! it definitely is a life changer...good luck to you as well.. I hope you receive an interview invitation email..

11 months ago

Still havent received an email. Im kind of thinking that they are waiting to send the denial letters. I think they first send out the emails that invite you to an interview. This is probably why we havent received an email yet:(

Juan in Long Beach, California

11 months ago

robin in Torrance, California said: Still havent received an email. Im kind of thinking that they are waiting to send the denial letters. I think they first send out the emails that invite you to an interview. This is probably why we havent received an email yet:(

Robin, stay positive!! Don't lose hope. Even if your fiancé doesn't get the interview email for tesoro, he shouldn't give up! Keep applying at different refineries.

11 months ago

So far we know that Juan in Long Beach got his interview e-mail from Tesoro, has anyone heard if people received rejection e-mails?

Bruce in Long Beach, California

11 months ago

Do we? Why would they send him the email for the interview that early...and still not send denial letters?

robin in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

Haven't received anything either. It seems like they are sending interview emails first and then waiting to send denials

11 months ago

Bruce in Long Beach, California said: Do we? Why would they send him the email for the interview that early...and still not send denial letters?

Bruce, I'm not sure why, and it's strange that no one else has received any emails yet (well we're only aware of the ones on this forum)
On the day of the tests they did announce that within 1-2 weeks EVERYONE would get an e-mail regardless of the outcome of their tests. So if anyone hears anything please post it on this site.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.