Will their be enough jobs for all these people who are in school to be an Operator????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Operator Trainee

24 months ago

Will their be enough jobs for all these people who are in school to be an Operator????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pops in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

24 months ago

Just like any profession there is uncertainty but alot of guys are retiring soon and most plants are under staffed right now as is, and not everybody will make it thru school so all you can do is take care of your part

Operator Trainee

24 months ago

Are you currently employed at a plant right now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rich in Port Arthur, Texas

23 months ago

Working here on the Gulf coast it is the thing to do..I went to school for both business and PTECH and I have several friends who are operators with degrees. I myself just landed myself an operator position in a smaller plant that a few of my friends worked at before their experience got them better jobs at bigger plants (Motiva, Valero, Total ect...) I plan to find myself there after a couple of years. Like pops said alot of the old school operators are retiring so they need people to fill in so at least here jobs are available if you test and interview right. Hope this helps and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Redding, California

23 months ago

Rich, thank you for the information and congrats on landing the job! What sort of four-year degrees do your colleagues have? I've a B.S. in earth science and am considering an online PTECH degree; my family's in the Southeast and process operator sounds like my sort of gig.

Rich in Port Arthur, Texas

23 months ago

[QUOTE who="John in Redding, California"My family's in the Southeast and process operator sounds like my sort of gig.

Thanks a lot John. As far as degrees go all of my other buddies have degrees in process technology that they got from the Technical Institute here locally. As far as 4 year degrees Lamar University which is located right here has 1 of the best engineering programs in the country. We have people coming from all over the world to attend and then some that come to work at Motiva since the expansion project made it the largest refinery this side of the Western Hemisphere... i cannot speak for anywhere else but here in southeast texas the refjnery jobs are here if you are willing to put in the effort and schooling... good luck with your degree if you decide to pursue it!

Tye Keton Archer in Boling, Texas

20 months ago

Interesting comment. i am getting a PTEC degree to add with my Bachelor's degree in Business Management from Sam Houston State. I am in my first semester but am fast tracked to be done in two more semesters. I was wondering how much would a BA degree play in helping you get in the door as well as if you make excellent grades throughout the course for the PTEC program. I am really hoping to nail one of these jobs and hope I can get one coming right out. They are actually building a steel pipe manufacturing plant here now and will be done in 2yrs with an estimated 500jobs opening up. They have already set up shop at the college to begin interviewing for positions next year. Also from your experience how are you liking the job so far?

R in Port Arthur, Texas

20 months ago

Tye Keton Archer in Boling, Texas said: Interesting comment. i am getting a PTEC degree to add with my Bachelor's degree in Business Management from Sam Houston State. I am in my first semester but am fast...

Sounds like you got the best odds out there. IDK how it is where you are at but here we have plenty of internships available every semester to undergrads or graduates with PTEC degrees, so I would look into that. Plants are getting stricter and stricter these days so a degree def helps or if youre a war vet... And to be honest I am still in training and on my probationary period so I am doing everything the right way for half of what the other guys get paid.. But it will all pay off soon enough haha. It can really only get better and so can the money if you are willing to put in the time. Ive learned its all about seniority for the best jobs and Im starting out at the bottom so If you can get in with the first group where youre at you will just have to play it by ear. Good luck BTW

TKA in Manvel, Texas

10 months ago

Did you get a 4 year business degree. J/W. I got a 4yr business admin degree in mgmt and found it hard to find mgmt jobs without experience and a lot of 4yr degree individuals going back for MBA's so I decided to take another path and get a 2yr process technology degree which I will be completing this May at WCJC and am hoping to get my foot in the door with one of the plants around the Gulf Coast Region. Anyways how has it turned out for you?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.