Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

How did you get your start doing product manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

BP in Latrobe, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

Start out as an associate product manager. Or get an MBA or MS in Marketing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ML in Roslyn, New York

64 months ago

If you see what you do as "working on a product," and you find you have ideas for how to make it better or do new products, make some suggestions... you might be filling a real need.

It's a marketing job, I agree with BP get a degree in marketing.

Bridget Kroetsch in Troy, Michigan

50 months ago

I am currently a junior at Ferris state university. I am looking for different internship opportunities focusing on Product Manager - hair products. I am wondering how to start gaining experience

Bridget Kroetsch in Troy, Michigan

50 months ago

BP in Latrobe, Pennsylvania said: Start out as an associate product manager. Or get an MBA or MS in Marketing.

I think its really important into management. Some degree either a minor or major.
I am going a Business Administration Major with a marketing minor.

Sandy in New York, New York

45 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing product manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I had a cs degree in undergrad and started off as an engineer in my career. I quickly realized I'd rather be a product manager than a programmer, so I went to business school and now am a product manager. Having a technical background helps, but what's more important is having the communication skills, business-sense, and insatiable curiosity.

Bridget Kroetsch in Big Rapids, Michigan

45 months ago

Thanks
I am looking for an internship with cosmetics or hair products - working with distributors.
Have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.