Getting Into Project Management

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Econdude in Hillsboro, Oregon

34 months ago

I would like to move into Project Management, but don't have a clue as to how I should launch. I have an MBA from a good school, and was captivated by the PM knowledge and how it fits with my personality type. The problem is I have no prior experience, need 4,500 hours to sit for the PMP certification, but I need to have my PMP before most companies would even consider hiring me. How can I overcome this barrier? Do you just have to get lucky and get with a firm and hope they ask you to manage projects so you can get your hours in?

Any advise on how to get started would be appreciated. I have the educational hours satisfied with my Operations and Change Management coursework in Graduate School.

Thanks in advance!
Econdude

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PMConnection in Jackson, Ohio

4 months ago

Hi Econdude,
I'm sure you will find this article very helpful: "How to Get Started in Project Management":
tr.im/GettingStarted

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Recent Grad in Minneapolis, Minnesota

3 months ago

I have the same question as Econdude and I appreciate your willingness to help, PMConnection, however the link you provided does not work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Evette in Orlando, Florida

1 month ago

Groupon has $99 courses that you can use to get your PSUs you'll need for the education hours. Just type in project management. Hope that helps. I'm in the process too :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Black in Middletown, Rhode Island

8 days ago

Recent Grad in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I have the same question as Econdude and I appreciate your willingness to help, PMConnection, however the link you provided does not work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

It works for me. Try it again! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.