Is a career in quality assurance for me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Stacy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

I am graduating from school in September with a Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems. I'm currently working as help desk support, but wanted to get more into software developement aspect of things. I enjoy working with software, but I don't want to be a programmer. I was looking into the possibility of working in quality assurance. I see the job descritions and it seems like something that I would be interested in. During a previous internship, I did do a bit of software testing and enjoyed it. I was wondering what I need to do to prepare myself for this type of position, seeing how I have no real experience in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ed Cook in Indianapolis, Indiana

76 months ago

Stacy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I am graduating from school in September with a Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems. I'm currently working as help desk support, but wanted to get more into software developement aspect of things. I enjoy working with software, but I don't want to be a programmer. I was looking into the possibility of working in quality assurance. I see the job descritions and it seems like something that I would be interested in. During a previous internship, I did do a bit of software testing and enjoyed it. I was wondering what I need to do to prepare myself for this type of position, seeing how I have no real experience in it.

If you're still interested - there are three sorts of preparation:
1.) Read books about testing and practice them.
2.) Try finding some sort of curricula that's actually taken seriously (good luck).
3.) Purchase automated testing solutions and practice with them (this can be pretty expensive)

Most people seem to get into QA by accident - there are few formal testing education opportunities, and few entry-level positions. Most externally posted QA positions require previous experience, and I haven't heard of too many testing internships (too bad, really). Your best bet to break into QA is to develop a professional network of people who know your skills and recruiters, who can help you find that starting position that breaks open everything else.

Alternatives to having work experience could be work on an open source project, or being recognized in an open beta for an application or video game. The obvious downside is that you're not getting paid while doing this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Imperial, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Thank you for the advice. I have graduated and am still very interested in QA.

Ed Cook in Indianapolis, Indiana said: If you're still interested - there are three sorts of preparation:
1.) Read books about testing and practice them.
2.) Try finding some sort of curricula that's actually taken seriously (good luck).
3.) Purchase automated testing solutions and practice with them (this can be pretty expensive)

Most people seem to get into QA by accident - there are few formal testing education opportunities, and few entry-level positions. Most externally posted QA positions require previous experience, and I haven't heard of too many testing internships (too bad, really). Your best bet to break into QA is to develop a professional network of people who know your skills and recruiters, who can help you find that starting position that breaks open everything else.

Alternatives to having work experience could be work on an open source project, or being recognized in an open beta for an application or video game. The obvious downside is that you're not getting paid while doing this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ben in Goodyear, Arizona

62 months ago

Let me know how you got into entry QA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.