Getting Started as a Quant Analyst

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Pat in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

I have a PHD in Educational Psychology (Major: Quantitative Methods and Statistics) and I am a Tenure track Asst. Prof.(statistics and research methods) to grad students at a state university in FL. I have excellent Math, Stat, and research skills and I am looking for a career change into becoming a quantitative analyst. Can anyone suggest how I can go about this change? I have a business certificate from my graduate degree (construction management). Will I need another degree? If so, which one? If not, how can I get some basic training to get into the field?
Please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vic in Winston Salem, North Carolina

73 months ago

If you know SAS then you can easly get into banking as quantitative analyst. Contact recruiters at www.analyticrecruiting.com. This is the group of nice recruiters, they will work really well with you. Make sure your resume reflect some of the practical research that you have done during your grad study or even as a tenure prof.

Good luck

Vic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

Thank you very much Vic. Meanwhile, I am also looking to take some basic courses in the finance dept here at my University to get a hold of what it means to work as a Hedge Fund analyst/Risk Modeler. Right now I have no idea what would be a suitable fit because I know very little abt the industry. I saw that they offer courses in Financial Risk Management, Corporate Finance, and Global Financial Strategy. Could you suggest what would be a good course to enroll in?

Vic in Winston Salem, North Carolina

73 months ago

It's not necessary to have a fully understanding of finance if you have analytical skills with some programing skills, you will pick up some of this finance backgroud at the job. At this point I would recommend to take some programming course like SAS, C++ if you don't have this programming background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

I was also wondering about doing an M.S. in Financial Management or Financial Mathematics. Could someone tell me which of these programs is the best?
Univ of Chicago
Stanford
Columbia
Baruch
Carnegie Mellon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

VR in Winston Salem, North Carolina

73 months ago

All of them are great but Carnegie Mellon is the best on Financial Engineering

Rick in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

I'm also in Miami and enrolled in a Risk Analysis and Management program at Florida International University (FIU). It's basically a mathematical finance program.

The website describing the program is at: w3.fiu.edu/math/financial_mathematics

The head of the program is Professor Enrique Villamor. He's seems real knowledgeable and passionate about financial mathematics. He's put together the program based on the Stochastic Calculus for Finance textbooks and notes by Steven Shreve at Carnegie Mellon.

Only drawback is it's a very new program with not a lot of enrollment and FIU is considered a fourth tier university although the FIU business school itself I believe is highly ranked. This program is primarily in the FIU Math department although a few of the elective requirements are finance courses in the business school.

I was wondering if you guys think this program is worth pursuing.

david hugle in Oakland, California

67 months ago

You probably have some or most of the basic skills to be a quant trader, but certainly you are unlikely to see many positions posted on job boards. You might want to get a hedge fund list (hedgefundjoblist or barclayhedge) and contact them directly with your qualifications. In this market funds aren't even wasting time with recruiters.

QUANT1999@AOL.COM in Rockville, Maryland

61 months ago

Pat,

Being a quant is an interesting profession. But there is also the risk side: be prepared to be unemployed for long periods (years) when the market is down. It doesn't matter how good you are, when assets are down, layoffs are brutal.

Good luck.

Been there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andy in Bronx, New York

58 months ago

I agree with Quant1999 on the comment about the instability of this line of job. It's just the nature of Wall Street.

You can join the discussion of various MFE programs on QuantNetwork at www.quantnet.com

By the way, there is a 2009 ranking of various MFE / Math finance programs in the country

www.quantnet.com/mfe-programs-rankings/

tcsers in Bangalore, India

57 months ago

hi, I m a graduate from Bangalore Univerisity and currently working in a MNC company from past 4.5 years.. I am from Commerce background and have strong knowledge of accounting.. I am very much interested in research field and have heard a lot about the Quant position which is in demand. Would anyone advise what will i further need to be a quant analyst..Thanks

ky1985 in Toronto, Ontario

55 months ago

I noticed that most Quantitative Analyst jobs require a master or PHD , is it even possible to get a job with an undergraduate degree and work experience ? btw Im doing my undergrad in Statistics and Im very interested in quant the field.

deliwe in South Africa

33 months ago

im a recent graduate in quantitative management. i did at the university of south africa. my question is i have been applying for quite some time now and i dont get any responds. is it because its not in demand in south africa? wat should i do? im also thinking of doing honours next year is that a good idea?

Zeratul in Chicago, Illinois

7 months ago

CMU > Stanford > UChicago

Pat in Miami, Florida said: I was also wondering about doing an M.S. in Financial Management or Financial Mathematics. Could someone tell me which of these programs is the best?
Univ of Chicago
Stanford
Columbia
Baruch
Carnegie Mellon

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.