What is the best route for me to get my foot in the door as a quantitative analyst?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Matt in Bradford, Rhode Island

106 months ago

I am trying to make a career change from the operational side of the investment industry to the quantitative side. Since a master’s degree is not for a few years into the future I took the first level of the CFA exam hoping for assistance in making the change. Was this worth my while? [Results not yet posted].

What else may be helpful in making the change? Is there anything I can do on my own to give me an edge? Is there any type of job I should target?

Thank You,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gordon7 in London, United Kingdom

94 months ago

Hi
Did you ever find an answer to this question? I too would like to become a quant and am considering on taking up the 1st level of cfa this june 2009.

Your views on this would be immensely useful.
Thanks in advance.

123 in Diamond Bar, California

94 months ago

gordon7 in London, United Kingdom said: Hi
Did you ever find an answer to this question? I too would like to become a quant and am considering on taking up the 1st level of cfa this june 2009.

Your views on this would be immensely useful.
Thanks in advance.

there are couple job listed in indeed job search few weeks ago for individual to get in as a financial analyst with completion of CFA level 1.

However, most analyst position require 2+ year in the field as experience requsite.

Lastly, CFA level 1 is not a walk in the park.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gordon7 in London, United Kingdom

94 months ago

123 in Diamond Bar, California said: there are couple job listed in indeed job search few weeks ago for individual to get in as a financial analyst with completion of CFA level 1.

However, most analyst position require 2+ year in the field as experience requsite.

Lastly, CFA level 1 is not a walk in the park.

No I basically want to get my foot into the door as a Quantitative analyst NOT a Financial analyst. How will doing the CFA L1 help me?-if at all? feedback immensely helpful...

a1 in Rowland Heights, California

94 months ago

gordon7 in London, United Kingdom said: No I basically want to get my foot into the door as a Quantitative analyst NOT a Financial analyst. How will doing the CFA L1 help me?-if at all? feedback immensely helpful...

to get in as Quan analyst, best way is to be actuary; level 1 of cfa only cover basic quan calcuation. A FRM of CFA level 2 canadate will have a great shot of getting in.

Analyst in Forest Hills, New York

93 months ago

Matt in Bradford, Rhode Island said: I am trying to make a career change from the operational side of the investment industry to the quantitative side. Since a master’s degree is not for a few years into the future I took the first level of the CFA exam hoping for assistance in making the change. Was this worth my while? [Results not yet posted].

What else may be helpful in making the change? Is there anything I can do on my own to give me an edge? Is there any type of job I should target?

Thank You,

try to make contacts in the industry. Network like there's no tomorrow.

Parmdeep Samra in London, United Kingdom

84 months ago

Matt in Bradford, Rhode Island said: I am trying to make a career change from the operational side of the investment industry to the quantitative side. Since a master’s degree is not for a few years into the future I took the first level of the CFA exam hoping for assistance in making the change. Was this worth my while? [Results not yet posted].

Thank You,

Get in touch with GOOD executive search consultants. One I would recommend is Jane@seymoursearchpartners.com - get a resume over to her and tell her what you are looking for. Another option is to try the good recruitment agencies. i.e Aston Carter, Selby Jennings, Huxley,Wilmott - only problem I find with recruitment agencies is they tend to throw your CV around everywhere! Best bet is to stick with executive search consultants because they don't need to do that and will at least keep the fact you are looking confidential!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.