How to make a career switch from engineering to finance

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

akanshat in san diego, California

107 months ago

Could anyone in the field of financial quantitative analysis suggest how to make this switch without going through MBA?
I have a PhD in engineering and a strong background in data analysis,quant modeling and statistics.
Thanks in advance!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dyck Van Dyke in Toronto, Ontario

102 months ago

Get a MS in Financial Engineering. The University of Toronto has the best program for someone with your background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andy in Bronx, New York

101 months ago

get a MFE like Dyck suggested. NYU, Columbia, CMU, UCB, Baruch,...they have good programs

www.quantnet.org/wiki

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tp in Chicago, Illinois

97 months ago

Can anybody recommend a good program in chicago?

asdf in Chicago, Illinois

97 months ago

U of Chicago Financial Math...

Finance in Glenview, Illinois

88 months ago

akansha t in san diego, California said: Could anyone in the field of financial quantitative analysis suggest how to make this switch without going through MBA?
I have a PhD in engineering and a strong background in data analysis,quant modeling and statistics.
Thanks in advance!!

My husband has his Master's in Engineering from a top university and went into finance (as a quantitative analyst)immediately after graduating. You just have to apply for the jobs and demonstrate the ability to be able to learn quickly as an entry level "quant." My husband moved from a jr. quant to a sr. quant to a portfolio manager within 4 years and still, in the end, has decided that, unless he gets his MBA he cannot progress any further without some kind of business degree....you have to build the work experience AND the academic experience. He's also currently on level 2 of the CFA, which is now considered "standard" for this industry.

Finance in Glenview, Illinois

88 months ago

tp in Chicago, Illinois said: Can anybody recommend a good program in chicago?

Chicago Booth (f/k/a GSB)and Northwestern Kellogg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.