studies to take in order to be a quant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Luthando Nxumalo in South Africa

72 months ago

Hi, I'm doing Bsc in Pure Mathematics, Computer science & Computetional and Applied Mathematics. I just Wanted to ask am I in a right rout to be a Quant and after my Bsc what should i take next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Andy in Bronx, New York

54 months ago

An MFE degree would seem like a natural next step for people with your background. You can view the profiles of many who have the same concerns as yours

www.quantnet.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

moloko in Pretoria, South Africa

50 months ago

hi
im currently studying Quantitative management at UNISA, wat is the next step i shud take wen im finished wit my degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucien in Johannesburg, South Africa

49 months ago

Quants often come from physics, engineering or mathematics backgrounds rather than economics related fields, and quant finance is a major source of employment for people with physics and mathematics Ph.D's. Typically, a quant will also need extensive skills in computer programming, most commonly C++.

This demand for quants has led to the resurgence in demand for actuarial qualifications as well as creation of specialized Masters and PhD courses in financial engineering, mathematical finance, computational finance, and/or financial reinsurance. In particular, Masters degrees in mathematical finance, financial engineering and financial analysis are becoming more popular with students and with employers. London's Cass Business School was the pioneer of quantitative finance programs in Europe, with its MSc Quantitative Finance as well as the MSc Financial Mathematics and MSc Mathematical Trading and Finance programs providing some leading global research. Carnegie Mellon's Tepper School of Business, which created the Masters degree in financial engineering, reported a 21% increase in applicants to their MS in Computational Finance program, which is on top of a 48% increase in the year before.[1][when?] These Masters level programs are generally one year in length and more focused than the broader MBA degree. The largest quant training program is the Wilmott Certificate in Quantitative Finance[2], directed by Paul Wilmott.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Khomotso87@ovi.com in Anonymous Proxy

47 months ago

In order to be a u need to possess an invaluably high knowledg of maths (pure/applied) and focusing on finance as well. Generaly any quantitative degree is relevant to become a quant. Just further your studies to postgraduate level then you'll be more advantageous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sebati MG in Wynberg, South Africa

38 months ago

am doing Bsc in computer science,am i in the right may of becoming a quantitative analyst

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sebati MG in Wynberg, South Africa

38 months ago

am doing Bsc in computer science,am i in the right may of becoming a quantitative analyst

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.