New jobs are being posted all the time, so why is it so hard to get a foot in the door

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

hjemerso in Bloomington, Indiana

37 months ago

I'm online applying for 2-3 jobs everyday, all around the country. I have a stellar resume with military experience, multiple awards for excellence, and I'm board certified.

If all these jobs are opening up everyday, why is it so hard to get a callback for a new graduate? Who is filling all these new jobs? Is it just a bunch of people with experience shuffling around from clinic to clinic?

What else can I do to make myself stand out? How can I network with people that live across the country from me? How can I show an employer what I am capable of doing when I am never even given consideration?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shilohlitton in Salisbury, Maryland

37 months ago

hjemerso in Bloomington, Indiana said: I'm online applying for 2-3 jobs everyday, all around the country. I have a stellar resume with military experience, multiple awards for excellence, and I'm board certified.

If all these jobs are opening up everyday, why is it so hard to get a callback for a new graduate? Who is filling all these new jobs? Is it just a bunch of people with experience shuffling around from clinic to clinic?

What else can I do to make myself stand out? How can I network with people that live across the country from me? How can I show an employer what I am capable of doing when I am never even given consideration?

Unfortunately, academics and awards have little effect on gaining employment in this field. It's all about personalities that mesh well.

It's also hard to get past the new HR screening systems. What I did was research the site I was applying to, and mail a hard copy of my resume, cover letter, references etc to the chief therapist at that site. More than once I got a call for an interview prior the them having any knowledge that I had already applied online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.