Radiation Therapist / Dosimetrist - Best path with a biology degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Chris Flowers in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

17 months ago

Hi all,
This is my first post so be gentle! I am currently a senior in college graduating in May with a bachelor's in Biology. I have considered many career options and have gone back and forth between med school, cardiac perfusion, medical sales, and working in a lab as a MT. I recently came across radiation therapy and it sounds like a perfect fit for me, but from what I understand, all of the programs are either a 2 year associate degree or 4 year bachelors. (Of course I didn't figure this out 2 years ago) I talked to a couple people about it, and heard about dosimetry, which also sounds like a great fit for me. The problem I am having is that I have no idea what the best route would be for me to take, considering I will already have a bachelors degree in about 2.5 months....any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shiloh Litton in Salisbury, Maryland

17 months ago

Radiation therapy is a GREAT profession, but severely oversaturated right now. It is highly rewarding and the patients are amazing. You are right, without being an X-Ray tech first, the shortest route is an associates degree. Dosimetry pays much better than therapy (which pays fairly well, too), but is hard to get accepted into school without a therapy background, although not by any means unheard of. Like therapy, it is difficult to find work. You lose the patient contact with dosimetry, but it is still very interested and always presents new challenges. If you are a team player who is good at networking, you will find work. Either option is good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LukeD in Cincinnati, Ohio

17 months ago

Hello,

I'm in about the same situation & about to apply. When you say that the profession is over-saturated do you mean in your area or nationwide? I'm single with no family & willing to relocate absolutely anywhere. I'm assuming that finding a job anywhere in America would be fine...but who knows 2 years from now?

Also, I too have a bachelor's with plenty of sciences. Have you ever heard of anyone transferring credits and cutting back on program length?

Thanks!

Shiloh Litton in Salisbury, Maryland

17 months ago

LukeD in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hello,

I'm in about the same situation & about to apply. When you say that the profession is over-saturated do you mean in your area or nationwide? I'm single with no family & willing to relocate absolutely anywhere. I'm assuming that finding a job anywhere in America would be fine...but who knows 2 years from now?

Also, I too have a bachelor's with plenty of sciences. Have you ever heard of anyone transferring credits and cutting back on program length?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, it is a nationwide problem. And absolutely transfer credits!! If you network and make lots of positive connections during your clinical rotations, you should find a job.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.