Radiation Therapy Questions...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

ChemGuy88 in Miami, Florida

46 months ago

If you have a 4.0 in all your classes in radiology I bet you can pass radiation therapy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessyska in Albuquerque, New Mexico

46 months ago

you shouldnt have problems at all. Although if you have a chance I'd switch majors. Radiation is the most flooded of all the radiologic sciences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Piscataway, New Jersey

46 months ago

I am currently in the last year of the program in radiation therapy at backer college in Jackson, it is hard but doable!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hussein in New Haven, Connecticut

46 months ago

it's something weird to me that all the comments here are totally disappointed ,and no one give any hope to any new student wants to start the career.why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Seffner, Florida

46 months ago

hussein in New Haven, Connecticut said: it's something weird to me that all the comments here are totally disappointed ,and no one give any hope to any new student wants to start the career.why?

I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from on these boards. If you do a job search for radiation therapy on the main page of indeed.com there are HUNDREDS of results. Many of them very recent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa0909 in Michigan

46 months ago

I know the feeling when ready through everything, some people get down right mean about your choice of field. I knew going in there werent a ton of jobs but most of the grads from my school have already found jobs. I am sticking with Radiation Therapy either way, I love it and cannot imagine working in anything else at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

charlotte in Bastrop, Texas

46 months ago

hussein in New Haven, Connecticut said: it's something weird to me that all the comments here are totally disappointed ,and no one give any hope to any new student wants to start the career.why?

I have been in the field for over 20 years, so I have seen the ups and downs. I have never seen it so difficult to find employment. I wonder if the schools that are providing programs are sugar coating it, it being that the field is totally flooded.

Lisa0909 in Michigan

46 months ago

It was made very clear to me when I started the program that jobs are hard to come by, I dont know about other schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rose in Claremont, California

46 months ago

HI everyone... i'm so glad to have found this forum. I'm thinking of going back to school to become a radiation therapist. All i know is that i LOVE working with people that have cancer. THe problem is that i don't know what the difference is between an oncology nurse and radiation therapist? pple are saying i should do the nursing because i'll find a job and the radiation therapist job is hard to come by... please if anyone can shed some light on this, i'll really appreciate it. thank you

46 months ago

Lisa0909 in Michigan said: It was made very clear to me when I started the program that jobs are hard to come by, I dont know about other schools.

HI lisa... can you please tell me how the schooling is? Is it hard? mostly bio/chem...? can you please give me an idea on what to expect from your experience? thank you

46 months ago

charlotte in Bastrop, Texas said: I have been in the field for over 20 years, so I have seen the ups and downs. I have never seen it so difficult to find employment. I wonder if the schools that are providing programs are sugar coating it, it being that the field is totally flooded.

Hi charlotte... can you please share some of the ups and downs? i really would like to know what the job itself is. How did you decide to being a radiation therapist?

Lisa0909 in Michigan

46 months ago

HI lisa... can you please tell me how the schooling is? Is it hard? mostly bio/chem...? can you please give me an idea on what to expect from your experience? thank you

Okay, the program is hard but you can make it. You will take anatomy and phys, but in the program we cover a lot of things no chem though a lot of physics though. I have never had those classes and they will teach you everything you need to know. A lot of the students from our program get offered jobs at their clinics sites so jobs are available you just need to make a good impression.

charlotte in Bastrop, Texas

46 months ago

rose in Claremont, California said: Hi charlotte... can you please share some of the ups and downs? i really would like to know what the job itself is. How did you decide to being a radiation therapist?

I started out as an x-ray tech and very quickly decided that was not really what I wanted. I wanted to make a difference in patient's lives and I found that therapy provided that. I enjoy getting to know the patients and their families. The ups and downs have been mainly, getting close to patients, and then they die. I got a thicker skin and that took about 5 years. I started out when you didn't have to be a therapist to treat cancer patients. Now, not only more education, but a lot of the states require licenses. The technological learning curve has increased sharply. We used to get new technology every 5 to 10 years. Now it is like every 2 years. Also, in the old days, therapy was an art form. Now that seems to be for dosimetrist. I also feel that good ole AP PA fields have a place for palliative patients, and feel that some docs overdo because they can. I have seen very ill patients lay on the table for 20 minutes per day so an OBI treatment can be lined up perfect. When my mom was treated for mets, I told the doc to just give some dose,the old fashioned way. She was palliative and in great pain. The radiation stopped the pain, even with old methods. I wonder if the extremely tight borders that we obtain with IMRT are gonna get us in the future, when we realize that we missed a part of the tumor that didn't quite show up.
I still love the field and hope to be employed in therapy again very soon. Thanks for asking

46 months ago

@ lisa... thank you for the encouragement. I'm not really that good with science subjects, i'm more of a social science girl but i really want this so i'll work hard, thanks

@charlotte... thanks for the reply and for sharing your experience of being a radiation therapist. I do hope to be where you are one day... FINISHED with school, employed and loving my job. thanks

Lee in Buffalo, New York

45 months ago

I am thinking about pursuing a career as a X-Ray Tech or Radiation Therapist. How does the job outlook seem for both? Are there more opportunities in either one. I live in Western New York and wonder what will be available around here.

Jessyska in Clovis, New Mexico

45 months ago

Both fields are tight right now, and not looking like turning around anytime soon. One of the hot fields right now is physical therapy or one of the sub classes.

Matt in Kent, Ohio

41 months ago

Hi everyone. I am currently a Exercise Physiology major and have decide dit it way too competitive to get into grad school for physical therapy. I have looked at Radiation therapy and it is interesting to me..I am a sophomore in college at Kent State in Northeast, Ohio. I was wondering are there still a shortage of jobs in the RT field and how hard is the program?

cmaynard in Elgin, Texas

41 months ago

Anon in Seffner, Florida said: I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from on these boards. If you do a job search for radiation therapy on the main page of indeed.com there are HUNDREDS of results. Many of them very recent.

Not if you dig deeper. If you go to the actual web page of the clinic, hospital, you will find no jobs. Some companies get the space for at least a month and they are posted that long. I have been in the field over 25 years and there are no jobs. I wish the schools would be more truthful in the posiblity of working in the first year.

Physical Therapy is a waste in Akron, Ohio

41 months ago

Matt in Kent, Ohio said: Hi everyone. I am currently a Exercise Physiology major and have decide dit it way too competitive to get into grad school for physical therapy. I have looked at Radiation therapy and it is interesting to me..I am a sophomore in college at Kent State in Northeast, Ohio. I was wondering are there still a shortage of jobs in the RT field and how hard is the program?

Matt don't waste your time in PT school..you will owe 150k and make 70k...RN's make that same amound sometime.

captaing in Kew Gardens, New York

39 months ago

Radiation Therapy programs are extremely competitive. Schools have entrance exams or interviews. Seats are limited. The exit exam is tough to pass as well. Consider yourself lucky if you got admission into a RT program. Job outlook is good and it will continue to grow as cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world. If you focus, concentrate and dedicate 2 years of your life into passing through this program, you will live a very content life. May the God give us desire and willingness to help make everybody's life little easier. "keep going, you ll get there".

fetzjohn in Miamisburg, Ohio

36 months ago

I have been in radiology for 11 yrs and went back to school for radiation therapy. I have been looking for 4 months after I passed my registry for a job and am having no luck. Any input on where in the US I might easily find a job. Do not understand why it is so hard to find a job. I am in the same problem if I apply for a xray job they too would think I would leave as soon as a job in radiation therapy comes open.

SU in Bushnell, Florida

36 months ago

The economy has slowed growth , the lack of CONs has allowed many centers to open , too many in most areas which decreases work loads thus less employees.
. And private schools intake students in at high tuition rates and accept and graduate too many students. Regulation is needed as to protect the field.

zeus_pogi02 in Bagumbayan, Philippines

25 months ago

what are the risk factors of the rad. therapist working in COBALT 60??

GreatLakes in Lansing, Michigan

25 months ago

Ken: did you graduate?
Did you intern at Northern Arizona?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.