Radiation Therapy VS Diagnostic Medical Sonography VS Vascular Sonography

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

FloridaSnowflake

46 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I am currently living in Colorado and I am thinking about going back to school. I currently hold an AS degree... I have been researching the fields of Radiation Therapy, Diagnostic Medical Sonography and Vascular Sonography. Do any of you have any thoughts about these programs. Unfortunately, there are no accredited programs in the state of Colorado, ( I take that back, there is one for DMS and they only accept 7 students a year) so I realize I would have to move. Anyway, I guess my questions would be:

1. what are the job prospects like?
2. is the income potential what everyone says it is?
3. is there something else I should consider when thinking about returning to school?
4. I am sure there are other things that I am not thinking of, so if you have any advise or input it would be helpful!

thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MRT(T) in Toronto, Ontario

31 months ago

Hi there,

RT is the top paying profession here, it's a high 5 figure job and you can get 100k+ even if you don't specialize into dosimetry (although in the US you'll need an additional certification for that). It takes the longest to finish since it has a degree requirement (employers would definitely prefer a BS than an AS). It's a fast paced job. The down side is that it's quite hard to find jobs in RT nowadays because so many people are going into it. I've heard numerous stories about RT grads being unemployed for over a year.

Ultrasound is paid quite a bit less than RT in the US I think (10k+?). It's not regulated and it's much easier to find a job as an ultrasound tech. You can specialize into vascular. I don't think vascular ultrasound is an independent program (cardiac or echocardiography is).

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous

29 months ago

MRT(T) in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi there,

RT is the top paying profession here, it's a high 5 figure job and you can get 100k+ even if you don't specialize into dosimetry (although in the US you'll need an additional certification for that). It takes the longest to finish since it has a degree requirement (employers would definitely prefer a BS than an AS). It's a fast paced job. The down side is that it's quite hard to find jobs in RT nowadays because so many people are going into it. I've heard numerous stories about RT grads being unemployed for over a year.

Ultrasound is paid quite a bit less than RT in the US I think (10k+?). It's not regulated and it's much easier to find a job as an ultrasound tech. You can specialize into vascular. I don't think vascular ultrasound is an independent program (cardiac or echocardiography is).

Hope this helps.

10k for ultrasound in the US... really? That's $4.80+ an hour. People at McDonalds make more than that... Minimum wage is over $7. I don't mean to be rude, but before you start giving people advice you should make a point to look it up if you don't know. Ultrasound Techs make around 35k around here and according to indeed the average is 52k so I'd say 42k would be rather realistic. Canada isn't the US. Though they are few and far between there are some jobs here in rural areas or areas that don't have schools for RT. Anyone going into school now might have better prospects in 3 to 4 years then those currently out there. The point is if you're not sure don't give advice to a person whom you might crush their hopes and cause them to not look any further based on your guesses. Also,Vascular/abdominal is an independent program here and Ultrasound is regulated. ardms.org/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Thinh in Winder, Georgia

29 months ago

Hi the person above said ultrasound make 10k+ less than RT. Which is not true, but that's what that person meant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennyfive in Erie, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

The person above was probably referring to the top 10% paid in RT field. If you look it up on the Occupational Handbook there are Techs out there with probably 20+ years experience living in California making 6 figures. The earning potential for DMS taps out well before 6 figures. It starts out at a much lower wage also. I know techs around here can expect less than 20 bucks an hour. If we are speaking about per year that does equate to more than 10k. A RT can make a much higher wage but as previously stated, it is hard to find a job. I just don't understand why, when job growth for a Sono is supposedly much less than an RT. There is also a big difference between registered and non registered Techs. Here there is a school that pumps out non registered students every year! They are still getting jobs in hospitals and after a year can sit for boards to get ARDMS certified. Like above said, Vascular is independent or can be a combined program with abdominal. This is why it makes it hard for those of us reading threads and taking advice to heart... some people are VERY misinformed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.