Radiation Therapy (a question and why I chose to pursue it)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Mojo in Las Vegas, Nevada

32 months ago

Look, I know most say it's a dead market. At one point so were most careers. I like Radiation Therapy and am eager to enter the training program at my community college. I checked out the ARRT website and have a scheduled appointment with the head of the program. Now I have a question or two. After getting ARRT registered in Radiation Therapy I am under the impression that via the post-primary pathway I can (if done with clinical requirements) can be registered in CT & MRI.

If this isn't enough to keep me excited about Radiation Therapy....

Suffice to say that in spite of the negative comments about the field of Radiation Therapy I feel that it's what I'm supposed to be doing. I love the field. It holds a very special place to me in that both my parents passed of a form of cancer and the Radiation Therapist was so caring and professional.. Although my parents lost their battles with cancer maybe I can be a part of a team that saves someone else the heartache I experienced. If I can consistently do that it would be phenomenal. If I had the opportunity to do it just once that would be well worth it to me.

I would not mind all your comments, positive AND negative. You may say what you will as I can't stop you. But don't think you can dissuade my decision. I think it's a great profession. And for those that are in it for the right reasons it will show in any interview, at every job and to every patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NIkki

32 months ago

Radiaition Therapy is an awesome career.I am currently a second year student and it is everything you expect it to be and more.I love my patients,from the really sweet ones to the angry cranky ones.You are required to be a critical thinker and use skills you never thought you had.

Even with the job market in it's current situation I still chose to pursue this career path.Apply to the program and continue to do great things if this is your career path.Don't be discouraged by negative comments and remarks.You seem to be so passionate about it already,I wish you all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

carlos092684 in Long Island, New York

31 months ago

I have a question for the person that's in the program at the moment or was? how did you survive school and work because i am not accepted into the program and am running out of ideas of how i will survive... im a parent with a kid, my wife works full-time but im losing hope to work full-time and be in school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

billsart in New York, New York

29 months ago

carlos092684 in Long Island, New York said: I have a question for the person that's in the program at the moment or was? how did you survive school and work because i am not accepted into the program and am running out of ideas of how i will survive... im a parent with a kid, my wife works full-time but im losing hope to work full-time and be in school?

Carlos if your tslking about the NCC program you really can only work nights and weekends, during the weekdays you attend class and clinic at local hospitals 2 or 3 days a week and every weekday for 2 summers. The course work is intense at some points but if this is what you want to do then it really wont seem that difficult.

If you want to see what the courses look like I have a site I made when I was a student on Long Island radiationtherapy.tk

Good Luck on your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Thank you for your comments billsart - the website will be very useful as i am in the program at the moment and working part time for now.. thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

i have a general question you dont have to tell me where and who but what does a biweekly pay in radiation therapy look like in the beginning and how fast does it climb??? i know average is between 64,000 and up.. just curious - and im talking about with insurance and all being taken out as well?? would you care to share guys/ladies in new york?? long island?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.