Radiation Therapy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 76 of 76)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Susan Garay in North Judson, Indiana

51 months ago

I graduate from radiation therapy with a BS in May of 2009. I still cannot find a job one year later. I have had 4 interviews in 4 different states and still no luck. I wish I would have went to school for nuclear medicine instead.

NE Ohio Rad Therapist in Akron, Ohio said: I am not sure why you would want to get into therapy with the job market being so over-saturated. I actually thought of cross training in CT, because I see more CT jobs than therapy jobs available. Even if you could find a PRN CT job on the weekends, that would be a foot in the door, and supplement your xray job... Be thankful that you have a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Radtec01 in Winter Haven, Florida

51 months ago

Sharon in Covington, Georgia said: I been waiting to find someone on the forum that's been in the field for years. I am an LPN waiting to enter an assoc. degree program for radiation therapy in Georgia. I'm hearing from my advisor that the outlook for this career is not as promising due to the amount of students graduating from current programs. Are you experiencing the same in Florida? Should I be worried about job placement? Also, do you know how much a new grad is expected to make coming out of school? What is a typical day like for a radiation therapist?

I am a licensed Rad Tech who went into Rad therapy 8 years ago and I live in Florida. Job prospects are not good at this time. They are pumping out a lot of students from several schools here. Also you may want to check it out and do some observation time before entering the program. If you do go through with it I would suggest checking out the place of employment before accepting a position. Rad therapy is a small world and if you take your time you can find out information before making a career decision.
Good Luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rtt in Amityville, New York

51 months ago

Radtec01 in Winter Haven, Florida said: I am a licensed Rad Tech who went into Rad therapy 8 years ago and I live in Florida. Job prospects are not good at this time. They are pumping out a lot of students from several schools here. Also you may want to check it out and do some observation time before entering the program. If you do go through with it I would suggest checking out the place of employment before accepting a position. Rad therapy is a small world and if you take your time you can find out information before making a career decision.
Good Luck to you

Did you consider becoming an RN? more jobs are available in this field and you can diversify into many different areas in nursing--go for your BN and you will have better future in health care

faz in Sacramento, California

50 months ago

angie in houston tx in Houston, Texas said: I am an xray tech in the med center in houston tx. I was accepted into a therapy school which will start in August. I have only been working in xray for 4yrs and I have also taken the CT registry. I really just don't know what to do at this point. Continue working in xray and try to find a CT job or go to therapy school...... By the way the job market for radiology in general is swamped here too... It took me 9 months to find my job now.

I am interested in becoming an xray tech. my uncle treats patients in AZ and he recommended i use my college time to pursue this career path. I was wondering if you could help me with which classes i need to take and any additional programs. Thank you

Angie in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

faz in Sacramento, California said: I am interested in becoming an xray tech. my uncle treats patients in AZ and he recommended i use my college time to pursue this career path. I was wondering if you could help me with which classes i need to take and any additional programs. Thank you

The program I went to was difficult to get in. Usually you have to have a GPA of 3.4 or higher. In addition to this you must take A@P one and two with other pre requests. If you are interested in this, I would find a program and see what the pre-qualifications are to get in.

Ira in San Jose, California

50 months ago

What is the difference between Rd Tech I, II and II?

Angie in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

Experience. Tech I is right out of school, Tech II is several years experience, and Tech III is 5+ years experience or Lead Tech

English Teacher in Duluth, Georgia

50 months ago

SEC in Morehead City, North Carolina said: lol wow... I just read my reply... you wouldnt even know I went to college with that grammer! :-P

grammar not 'grammer'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taytay in Virginia Beach, Virginia

50 months ago

(hi anybody that has taken PJC X ray program) im moving to pensacola soon and i really looking for a good x-ray program , i just finishing up my MA degree ,i am worried becuz i dnt do good in math , so should i take college algbera first,oh one more thing is the X RAY pre test hard and what do i need to study for.....

Tony in Tulsa, Oklahoma

47 months ago

Candice in Snellville, Georgia said: I am very disappointed in the job market for radiation therapy in Georgia. I have a family, so it is impossible for me to just move someplace where a job may be available. I graduated from therapy in September of this year and don't have a sign of getting a job anytime soon. It's very depressing. I am also certified in Radiologic Technology, but I have been having a hard time getting a job in that field because of no experience. I'm not sure where to turn at this point. I made straight A's all the way through both programs and worked very hard. Oh, well.

Hate to say it but your grades wont get you a job in the field...i was a c student and have had 3 jobs in x-ray at one time..i also ran my own department at an indian clinic. Just saying you still call a Dr that graduated with a C average Dr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Tulsa, Oklahoma

47 months ago

Susan Garay in North Judson, Indiana said: I graduate from radiation therapy with a BS in May of 2009. I still cannot find a job one year later. I have had 4 interviews in 4 different states and still no luck. I wish I would have went to school for nuclear medicine instead.

check on the nuce med companys that make the radiographic isotope...they slow production on it and the job market is in the toilet just like every other industry is...why are you all so blown away about it???? its been this way for over 2 years now..i took a job at wal-mart when graduated xray school you all can do the same thing and when you get off work from wal-mart you can spend your nights applying around the country. Hate to say this but you WILL have to relocated if you want to work in the allied helath field. Stop crying and start working on getting a job....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kt in Fenton, Michigan

46 months ago

I looking into the med field for career change. worked in automotive for 24 years I am 47 years old male ,,,what field are men in..are they in sonography? Any advice would be great ..thanks

Jessyska in Albuquerque, New Mexico

46 months ago

kt in Fenton, Michigan said: I looking into the med field for career change. worked in automotive for 24 years I am 47 years old male ,,,what field are men in..are they in sonography? Any advice would be great ..thanks

Sonography is great right now. Dont stick with the stigma that women only go into this. Right now they are booming.Its not all about the babies anymore. Look online for some programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Jessyska in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Sonography is great right now. Dont stick with the stigma that women only go into this. Right now they are booming.Its not all about the babies anymore. Look online for some programs.

I agree. Sonography is about the only branch of radiological sciences that isn't flooded. Men can most certainly be sonographers. There are specializations within sonography that you may feel more comfortable with. Good luck.

Hippy chick in Berkeley, California

46 months ago

faz in Sacramento, California said: I am interested in becoming an xray tech. my uncle treats patients in AZ and he recommended i use my college time to pursue this career path. I was wondering if you could help me with which classes i need to take and any additional programs. Thank you

Try Kaiser Permanente they have an excellent program. They also give you the opportunity to network with other radiology therapist/techs . Im going to the orrientation next thursday in the east Bay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kt linden mi in Fenton, Michigan

45 months ago

Hi, does anybody have any knowledge of how back ground checks go? I had a felony (Disturbing the peace) over 20 years ago. I am looking to go into PTA, will this keep me from being able to get my license? Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Bellix in Chattanooga, Tennessee

45 months ago

I completed three semsters out of six in a RT program (six crammed into a two year period - I had finished first year spring, fall, and summer sessions ) before quitting and getting a job. I had also spent a year taking prerequisites just so i could apply to a RT program.

I had spent a lot of time on this board reading about the dismal job outlook and hoping that I had not made a bad decision and wasted a lot of time. I got freaked out so much that I started looking for work and took a job offer that came my way.

My classmates (the ones who actually finished the progaram, all six of them) graduated in July and do not have jobs, they have all interviewed for ONE job opening since graduating and it was PRN at that. They are dejected and depressed, the older students who do not live at home have gone back to working the types of jobs that they thought they would be able to leave behind. It really sucks to expend so much time, money, and energy on an ultimately fruitless endeavor.

I feel for them - therapy school is tough, especially during the last year or so. Our program director and instructors never guaranteed anyone a job, but they definitely painted a prettier picture when compared to the reality that awaited us outside the halls of academia.

I would strongly urge prospective therapy students to reconsider their educational plans. The odds of finding employment are too small to justify the two years time, energy, and money it will take to get the degree.

good luck to all, I hope I didn't bum anyone out too much.

Elyse in Rueil-malmaison, France

40 months ago

Hello all...I've been doing some research on radiation therapy and came across this forum and skimped through it. I'm interested in going back to school for radiation therapy/radiology, however, after reading everybody's comments I'm starting to think otherwise. I've recently obtained a B.S. from Rutgers University, but I've decided I want to follow my mom's footsteps into becoming a radiation therapist/x-ray technician and go back to school at Thomas Jefferson Uni in Philly. Although she is no longer practicing in the field, her past career in it was pretty successful but more importantly she loved it(this was back in the 70s and 80s mind you). However, my mom and her former colleagues (and what you all are saying) is that now I should not waste my time, energy, and money on radiation therapy. If jobs are bad back home then why does the US bureau statistics of labor say this field have jobs in high demand and with an excellent outlook??? So now, I'm thinking about going into mammography, MRI, or CT. I've also been doing research on becoming a respiratory therapist or physician's assistant. A lot of you are already working in the allied health care field, so do you guys think this is a smart move? Preferably, I hope to live/work in Florida...what are the best allied health care field jobs there? Or do you think that after 3 years of more schooling, the job market will open up and by that time radiation therapy jobs should reappear? With how the American economy is, sometimes I feel like I should move back to Australia :( They're pretty much begging for radiographers there!

Dana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

If you have a BS you should become a PA. RT is staurated in the Philadelphia area and is starting to become saturated all around the country. There are many good schools in Philadelphia that offer good PA programs and its maybe 18 months more of schooling. PA's get more respect than RT's and they make more money. The occupation is lucrative right now with a storage.
Every occupation has cycles of up and downs and no one can predict what will happen

Ryan in STL in Saint Louis, Missouri

36 months ago

I am a therapist and have been for years. I am moving to San Diego in December and see that California requires a state license. Missouri just required my ARRT membership and I am unsure what will be required of me to get this certification/license. Is it something similar to taking the boards again, or is it simply paperwork. Do I need to study and review and stress, or is it a breeze? Please help if you know the answer to this question!

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Ryan in STL in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am a therapist and have been for years. I am moving to San Diego in December and see that California requires a state license. Missouri just required my ARRT membership and I am unsure what will be required of me to get this certification/license. Is it something similar to taking the boards again, or is it simply paperwork. Do I need to study and review and stress, or is it a breeze? Please help if you know the answer to this question!

If it's like OH or MD, it's just a paper trail.

Baby Browns in Germantown, Maryland

30 months ago

WOW..I WAS EXCITED ABOUT ENTERING THE FIELD OF RADIATION THERAPY UNTIL I READ THE COMMENTS STATING "NO EMPLOYMENT" IN THIS FIELD!! I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY, TIME, OR ENERGY TO WASTE ON A PIPE DREAM...SO, WITH THAT BEING SAID..I THINK I WILL PASS ON THE RADIATION THERAPY GIG!! THANKS FOR THE "TRUTH"!! IM CERTAINLY WISHING THOSE IN THE FIELD THE BEST, AND PERHAPS THE MARKET WILL TURN AROUND EVENTUALLY? BUT AS FOR ME..I DONT HAVE TIME TO WAIT IT OUT..:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ImNotHisGirlfriendImHisWife in Randallstown, Maryland

30 months ago

Baby Browns in Germantown, Maryland said: WOW..I WAS EXCITED ABOUT ENTERING THE FIELD OF RADIATION THERAPY UNTIL I READ THE COMMENTS STATING "NO EMPLOYMENT" IN THIS FIELD!! I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY, TIME, OR ENERGY TO WASTE ON A PIPE DREAM...SO, WITH THAT BEING SAID..I THINK I WILL PASS ON THE RADIATION THERAPY GIG!! THANKS FOR THE "TRUTH"!! IM CERTAINLY WISHING THOSE IN THE FIELD THE BEST, AND PERHAPS THE MARKET WILL TURN AROUND EVENTUALLY? BUT AS FOR ME..I DONT HAVE TIME TO WAIT IT OUT..:)

Girl I said the same thing I was extremely interested in the field. Apply to CCBC program for the fall of 2012 but I can not waste my time I want a house nice car n everything im getting older now truth be told if u type in jobs for radiation therapy in md there's none well maybe one or two that want 5 yrs of experience I may look back into respiratory therapy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Beaumont, California

26 months ago

Is radiation therapy still saturated in California?

Nathalie in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

What's the outlook for a Rad Therapist associate with a BS in Biology? And what's the difference between a post bacc program and an accredited program. I have a lot of questions for RTs out there. I was also looking to live in Florida.

Steve in Barrie, Ontario

25 months ago

I was recently accepted into a Radiation Therapy program in Toronto, Canada that is starting in September. I have read countless articles describing the projected increase in Rad Therapy jobs in the near future, however reading all your comments expressing how difficult it is to find work is discouraging. I suppose the projected increase is due to the aging baby boomers, and people living longer (higher incidence of cancer). But that makes me wonder even if we do see an increase in rad therapy demands, will the demand last long after we're over the baby boomer hump?

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.