Radiation therapist job outlook.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

tyler1 chelsea in Pasadena, California

68 months ago

I was wondering is the job oulook for radation therapist GOOD in Southern California?? & is it hard to get accepted into a radiology program????

Thanks guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

su7ga8r59 in Indianapolis, Indiana

67 months ago

first off, it's a radiation therapy program, NOT radiology...jobs see, to be pretty plentiful in coastal states (like california, florida, new york)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Smgold in Buena Park, California

52 months ago

tyler1 chelsea in Pasadena, California said: I was wondering is the job oulook for radation therapist GOOD in Southern California?? & is it hard to get accepted into a radiology program????

Thanks guys!

I have been out in Southern California since September of 09 looking for a RT job with NO luck. Seems like the smaller states have more openings than the larger ones!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

me in Minneapolis, Minnesota

51 months ago

no jobs in the midwest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Wallingford, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Eastcost is flooded, no one in my class has found a job yet and we graduated a month ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Fletcher in Clovis, New Mexico

50 months ago

Joe in Wallingford, Pennsylvania said: Eastcost is flooded, no one in my class has found a job yet and we graduated a month ago.

Every where is flooded. Only ones coming up are for PRN or part time. Its not worth moving for. If you are in the area and already have a licence than go for it.

I know of two graduating classes that have not found jobs, some of them arent even taking registry. They just don't see the point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Oh Well in El Paso, Texas

50 months ago

I Graduated with an AAS in Radiation Therapy in Dec 08 and became certified 4 days later. I have been applying for jobs ANYWHERE IN THE US, even looking overseas since about September of 08 and to this day have not received any phone calls about any possibilities.With recent searches I have realized that more and more most companies want several years experience or a bachelor's. I have quit keeping up with my CE's and have decided that this isn't what I want to do anyway. Blessing in disguise :)

Oh Well in El Paso, Texas

50 months ago

Jessica Fletcher in Clovis, New Mexico said: Every where is flooded. Only ones coming up are for PRN or part time. Its not worth moving for. If you are in the area and already have a licence than go for it.

I know of two graduating classes that have not found jobs, some of them arent even taking registry. They just don't see the point.

I'm probably one of those ; )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jean Claude Van Damme in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

50 months ago

I would like to know if the situation is any different in the UK or internationally. THis is the only careers forum that I know of that specifically discusses radiation therapy so I'd like some input from the people on here.

After all why don't you guys go abroad instead of posting extermely negative opinions on here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bumbleb0204 in El Paso, Texas

49 months ago

Agh, this is so discouraging! I am finishing my third semester in the prog and just reading all these comments freaks me out! Speaking to one of the current therapist and our teacher, they say there are jobs out there as opposed to here in El Paso. But 2 yrs searching for a job??? Terrible!!! I really hope it picks up by next year.

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

bumbleb0204 in El Paso, Texas said: Agh, this is so discouraging! I am finishing my third semester in the prog and just reading all these comments freaks me out! Speaking to one of the current therapist and our teacher, they say there are jobs out there as opposed to here in El Paso. But 2 yrs searching for a job??? Terrible!!! I really hope it picks up by next year.

I'm on the other coast, and have been looking for a year with no luck. My class graduated with 30, only half of us have jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Our class is down to 7! We typically have small classes (10 accepted) and after the first two semesters we lost 3. So what are you doing meanwhile??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

bumbleb0204 in El Paso, Texas said: Our class is down to 7! We typically have small classes (10 accepted) and after the first two semesters we lost 3. So what are you doing meanwhile??

Well, I'm still looking. I'm lucky enough to have a husband who makes decent money while I look for a job.

49 months ago

Best of LUCK!!!! Hope you find something!!

49 months ago

bumbleb0204 in El Paso, Texas said: Best of LUCK!!!! Hope you find something!!

Thank you! Good luck to you, too!

maryjane in Schenectady, New York

40 months ago

Just researching this career for my daughter,think digital
imaging or a PA, may have better job prospects after reading the comments here.

Bonnie Bazydlo BS LRT(T) in Syracuse, New York

38 months ago

Radiation therapy is an excellent field, but jobs are very difficult to find where ever you go. If it were my daughter, and she was strong in chemistry, biology, anatomy and physiology and pharmacology, I would STRONGLY advise her to apply to the physician's assistant program. SUNY Upstate Medical University has an excellent PA program, an imaging program and a radiation therapy program.

Entry level salary for radiation therapist is $28 - $36 per hour depending on the area of the country you look. VERY difficult for entry level RT's to get work because of the current job market. Is she interested in cardiac perfusion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather218 in Dallas, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

I have looked at SUNY's site, I didnt see anything about radiation therapy. I also put SUNY and radiation therapy into a search and got nothing. Is there a link??

38 months ago

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania said: I'm on the other coast, and have been looking for a year with no luck. My class graduated with 30, only half of us have jobs.

All I have to say is that if you feel that radiation therapy is your calling, then do it. BUT be prepared that it may take up to 2 years or more to find something. Some of my classmates found jobs right out of school, others it took a couple of months, I graduated 2 years ago and I just got my first job, and yet others still haven't found anything. The market is very flooded; however, if you research what employers are looking for in a resume today and do your homework on the site you are interviewing for as well as be prepared for common interview questions, you should be fine. Just be prepared that it may take a while. I also would mail a hard copy of my cover letter and resume to the sites despite submitting it to online applications. That had gotten me a few interviews doing it that way.

babies2 in El Paso, Texas

34 months ago

bumbleb0204 in El Paso, Texas said: Best of LUCK!!!! Hope you find something!!

hi just wondering have you found a job already?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nitanita in Hammond, Indiana

34 months ago

I everyone my name is Nita. I'm still looking although my search has just really started. I have been out the field for a while and recently re-certified, I kind of feel like that puts me at a disadvantage although I have 3-4 years experience. How is the job hunt going for everyone else? Does anyone have any advice for me?

aleks in Corona, New York

34 months ago

hey guys i live in new york city and im graduating HS in june and im thinking of going for bachelors in radiation therapy, that means i will be done with school in 4 and a half years do you think i will be able to get a job?

Jimmy in London, Ontario

34 months ago

Jean Claude Van Damme in Seoul, Korea, Republic of said: I would like to know if the situation is any different in the UK or internationally. THis is the only careers forum that I know of that specifically discusses radiation therapy so I'd like some input from the people on here.

After all why don't you guys go abroad instead of posting extermely negative opinions on here?

Because they can't. The restrictions abroad are pretty tough. Not to mention you need at least a Bachelors Degree and you have to write that country's certification exam. Canada's exam was unbelievably hard compared to it's US counterpart... Best advice... Change careers... As soon as you can...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in London, Ontario

34 months ago

aleks in Corona, New York said: hey guys i live in new york city and im graduating HS in june and im thinking of going for bachelors in radiation therapy, that means i will be done with school in 4 and a half years do you think i will be able to get a job?

Not for years.... Put your efforts into Nursing.. Thats where the jobs are...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Melissa in Austin, Texas said: Just curious as to what y'alls programs consisted of. Were you required to do clinics throughout the course? The reason I ask that is because most RT's I've talked with say that their offices usually dont post jobs because they have enough students who do their clinicals at their location to choose from. I haven't applied for the program here in San Marcos yet but each weekday you dont have class, they place you in a required clinic. That I feel will be my only hope in finding a job without moving...

Yes, you much complete a certain number of hours of clinicals to be board eligible. That is where you will get the bulk of your education and know-how.

34 months ago

Jimmy in London, Ontario said: Not for years.... Put your efforts into Nursing.. Thats where the jobs are...

I agree, Jimmy!

34 months ago

I think that the problem is that the majority of therapy programs used to be hospital based. When there was an oversaturation of therapists, they would pull back on their enrollment numbers. The hospital based programs have greatly decreased and colleges are picking up the slack, only they are not decreasing their enrollment. They want the tuition money. Therefore, there continues to be too many therapists and not enough positions....just my thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mesha ann in Two Rivers, Wisconsin

13 months ago

I just graduated today and I have a full time job lined up and start the following week. If this is what you really want to do don't just give up on it.

mesha ann in Two Rivers, Wisconsin

13 months ago

I just graduated today and I have a full time job lined up and start the following week. If this is what you really want to do don't just give up on it. We had 46 students in our class I think that is the huge problem

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

patrickdesu in Las Vegas, Nevada

4 months ago

I'm currently a college freshman and I'm stuck between choosing radiation therapy or PTA. Should I take a risk and go for radiation therapy? Or stay safe with PTA? The way our job market is, I'm not even sure if either are a safe career path..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Paramus, New Jersey

4 months ago

neither, go for PT, physical therapy. If you do not have the money, take the risk and take out of a loan for physical therapy program as long you can commit and study hard for a rigorous program. At least at the end of your graduation, you will definitely not have a hard time finding a job of being a PT in your area or anywhere in the USA if you choose to move from NV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

thank you for your reply. I am now considering between PT, Occupational Therapy, or Healthcare administration.

TheRealisticRCP in Elbridge, New York

3 months ago

patrickdesu in Las Vegas, Nevada said: thank you for your reply. I am now considering between PT, Occupational Therapy, or Healthcare administration .

Now is not a good time to enter healthcare, but that doesnt mean there aren't good jobs available in healthcare

Right now i'd say the five best things to go to school for in healthcare would be:

#1.) Physican Assistant

#2.) Physical Therapy

#3.) Occupational Therapy

#4.) Nursing: (Nursing is plagued with issues, but the ability to advance into NP/mid-level roles is attractive so its good if you can get into a role like that)

#5.) Respiratory Care (But RT is a distant 5th.)...majority of RT work is part time/per diem...and nights/weekends but at least RT has that, and you'll make in the 20-25 hr range to start, maybe cap out at 30-35.....but a major drawback is lack of advancement.

I'd stay clear of Radiation Therapy, X-Ray, Labs, Ultrasound, Pharmacy and maybe Perfusion only unless you can go where the jobs are.

Keep in mind, every Allied health field has it tough right now !!!

Some worse than others

TheRealisticRCP in Elbridge, New York

3 months ago

The only bad thing about PT is the length of school....and grad school is expensive.

PT's do NOT make enough money to justify the amount of education they have..

Doctorate level and 70-80k of debt for a lousy 55k/ year to start...double that salary and then it'd be worth it

3 months ago

TheRealisticRCP in Elbridge, New York said: The only bad thing about PT is the length of school....and grad school is expensive.

PT's do NOT make enough money to justify the amount of education they have..

Doctorate level and 70-80k of debt for a lousy 55k/ year to start...double that salary and then it'd be worth it

Thank you for your reply. I'm not really worried about the financial side of it for now. I am fortunate to be blessed with parents that do make enough money alongside my scholarships to not worry about paying for school until I graduate with my BS. Plus I plan on working during summer and winter breaks to save up money to help pay for graduate school. I am more worried about how tough the program is and whether or not the career has a good outlook/is worth the effort.

nadige in Brooklyn, New York

2 months ago

I agree...stay far away from RT..it's a complete waste of time of money and time. It's all about who you know in that field.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.