Volunteering in radiation therapy.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Peter in Raleigh, North Carolina

52 months ago

I am a registered therapist and haven't been able to find a job. I would love to just volunteer and be with patients again, but seem to get the run around from every clinic or hospital i call trying to volunteer.

Are there any groups out there that specialize in medical professionals volunteering? I haven't found anything radiation therapists via internet search yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nam in San Diego, California

52 months ago

Peter in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am a registered therapist and haven't been able to find a job. I would love to just volunteer and be with patients again, but seem to get the run around from every clinic or hospital i call trying to volunteer.

Are there any groups out there that specialize in medical professionals volunteering? I haven't found anything radiation therapists via internet search yet.

is it really hard to find a job as a radiation therapist? how long have you been unemployed for since you graduate? im thinking about going into the field to because i truly want to help people fight cancer but if i cant find a job then forget it.

Nam in San Diego, California

52 months ago

is it really hard to find a job as a radiation therapist? how long have you been unemployed for since you graduate? i was thinking about going into radiation therapy because i truly want to help people fight cancer but if i cant find a job then forget it.

Peter in Raleigh, North Carolina

52 months ago

Nam in San Diego, California said: is it really hard to find a job as a radiation therapist? how long have you been unemployed for since you graduate? i was thinking about going into radiation therapy because i truly want to help people fight cancer but if i cant find a job then forget it.

its is very hard to get any job in radiation therapy nation wide right now. if it is really in your heart go for it, but do plan to being paying off student loans whether or not you find a job. Beware of the college admissions officers promising garunteed jobs because it is in the medical field.

most graduates are not finding jobs, and i have not been employed as a radiation therapist for over 2 years now.

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana

50 months ago

Hey Peter in Raleigh

I am glad to see someone else in the same situation as me! In regards to volunteering, I dont think its a possibility since its a liability. As a student, we were covered by hospitals serving as a clinical rotation site. But once your out, no one can be liable for you unless you were employed of course. I've graduated in August 2009 and have applied both locally and nationally, but due to only prn experience its been a rough go. I've actually applied to non-therapy jobs as well and I still cant land those either due to being over-qualified. At this point, I would be willing to put in more than 100% in any job I possessed but for some reason or another, someone else is a better "fit" or I am simply over-qualified. Its been nice to come upon this forum to vent..I wish you luck in your search as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Peter in Cary, North Carolina

49 months ago

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana said: Hey Peter in Raleigh

I am glad to see someone else in the same situation as me! In regards to volunteering, I dont think its a possibility since its a liability. As a student, we were covered by hospitals serving as a clinical rotation site. But once your out, no one can be liable for you unless you were employed of course. I've graduated in August 2009 and have applied both locally and nationally, but due to only prn experience its been a rough go. I've actually applied to non-therapy jobs as well and I still cant land those either due to being over-qualified. At this point, I would be willing to put in more than 100% in any job I possessed but for some reason or another, someone else is a better "fit" or I am simply over-qualified. Its been nice to come upon this forum to vent..I wish you luck in your search as well

Thanks karebear. You and I graduated at about the same time. I totally forgot about the liability problem. That answers one big question I had. I guess i am boned, job wise because if i cant even volunteer... I cant get experience. No experience = no job.

H in Waterbury, Connecticut

41 months ago

Hey guys, youre not alone. Try visiting a cancer center and offer a service- ie, playing games with patients who are waiting for their treatments, stocking pantry/medical supplies, assisting with clerical duties, etc. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D Lyte in Lexington, Kentucky

41 months ago

Peter in Cary, North Carolina said: Thanks karebear. You and I graduated at about the same time. I totally forgot about the liability problem. That answers one big question I had. I guess i am boned, job wise because if i cant even volunteer... I cant get experience. No experience = no job.

Hey Peter
Have you found a job yet? I recently saw some postings in both NC & SC

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.