BECOMING A RADIOLOGICAL TECHNOLOGIST WITH FELONIES

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Mike Q. in Belleview, Florida

44 months ago

Hi, everyone. I am VERY interested in becoming a Rad Tech and will be applying to the program next semester. Unfortunatley I have several felonies from my past (almost 8 years ago) regarding drug use and fraud. Since then I have completed parole, completed rehab and have never been in trouble before or since those convictions (all occured within a 7 month period). I have completed the Pre-application for review for the ARRT and will be submitting it in about a month.

QUESTION: I guess I am just wondering or looking for reassurance about whether or not the ARRT will decide in my favor for someone with my past history. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do (letter of recommendations, etc.)?

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Blacklick, Ohio

44 months ago

Mike Q. in Belleview, Florida said: Hi, everyone. I am VERY interested in becoming a Rad Tech and will be applying to the program next semester. Unfortunatley I have several felonies from my past (almost 8 years ago) regarding drug use and fraud. Since then I have completed parole, completed rehab and have never been in trouble before or since those convictions (all occured within a 7 month period). I have completed the Pre-application for review for the ARRT and will be submitting it in about a month.

QUESTION: I guess I am just wondering or looking for reassurance about whether or not the ARRT will decide in my favor for someone with my past history. Anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do (letter of recommendations, etc.)?

Thank you.

Mike, first and foremost I would only recommend getting into this field if you have an incredible urge to take xrays. Not trying to discourage you at all, just telling you how it is. There are very little jobs out there as of right now, and the starting pay is not that great, anywhere from 35-38k a year.

Now about your felonies. I too had felonies upon applying to the program I went through as well as the ARRT. I had some burglaries on my record from when I was 18, which also occurred down in Florida. They approved me, however I had several letters of recommendation from ny employers and professors, and it helped that I was no longer in Florida any more. I know that they take the drug charges more seriously though, so I would make sure you present all of your documentation and make sure everything is accurate. If you can, get several letters of recommendations stating that you are of good moral character.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Q. in Belleview, Florida

44 months ago

Thanks for the response and info. Regarding the lack of open positions at the moment, I was thinking about specializing in MRI (considering if I do get a favorable review from the ethics board). Is that something that is in "more demand" at the moment? One alternative I was also considering was taking the Health Info. Technologist program instead. I understand that President Obama put forth a mandate that all medical records need to be electronic within 10 years. Anyways, what do you think about this?

Thanks again,
Mike.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Blacklick, Ohio

44 months ago

Mike Q. in Belleview, Florida said: Thanks for the response and info. Regarding the lack of open positions at the moment, I was thinking about specializing in MRI (considering if I do get a favorable review from the ethics board). Is that something that is in "more demand" at the moment? One alternative I was also considering was taking the Health Info. Technologist program instead. I understand that President Obama put forth a mandate that all medical records need to be electronic within 10 years. Anyways, what do you think about this?

Thanks again,
Mike.

The MRI field is slightly better. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in central Ohio most places willonly hire an MRI tech with experience. Unless you have a very good relationship with one of the managers in an MRI department, it will be next to impossible to land one of those positions without experience.

Before you even think about MRI though, you will have to get your RT. Once you do that, then you can apply to an accredited MRI program which are usually around a year long. After you complete that program and get certified in MRI it will be much easier for you to get a job in that field.

When the market was better, they would just train you on the job and you could get certified that way. Since the market is saturated, they can pick and choose who they want to hire.

I don't know anything about that other field. Sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

royce456 in Palm Desert, California

44 months ago

Mike, you have asked questions regarding diagnostic, vs MRI opportunities.....although you have had some questionable activities in your past, this may not prevent you from being approved by the ARRT. However, am in management within radiology, when we post an open position we receive upwards of 150 applicants for each position. Anyone with a questionable past is automatically disqualified, nothing against anyone, but when we consider a person the first thing I do is look for any reason this person's resume is worthy of consideration. In other words it is an employer's market, the employer can be more discriminating with the large number of applicants. We consider new graduates, but we are also associated with a college radiology program , so we are able to observe the students in their clinical rotations and are able to choose the new graduates we want.

The thought is that the medical field is wide open, however with the economic status as
it is, the medical field is very tight right now and will remain this way for some time.

IT services in the medical field is up and coming, however it will be some time before electronic records are universally used.

With 20 years of experience in radiology/ 8 years in management I was recently competing with 50 other applicants for an open position as a radiology manager, the other applicants outranked me with their educational credentials...the majority had Master's degrees.

While I do not want to be discouraging, I want to portray to you that it is very difficult to obtain a position in radiology, and this trend will last for some time to come .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kari B. in Kent, Washington

42 months ago

Hi Mike,

I also have a checkered background. I have finished my prerequisites to apply to the radiology program, but have recently learned that my background is more of an obstacle than previously thought. The last of my criminal activity was in 2003, and it was considered a "crime against persons", two Robbery 2, class B and C. Which I have recently learned they are unexpungeable and it may be that I cannot work with patients. Of course, I am not the person as I was then, and I have so much compassion for others and want to stay in the medical field. I have been both a victim and victimizer throughout the lifestyle I led, and so I believe I have more understanding and compassion for those in situations that I may come across as a radiology technician. I am optimistic that someone will give me the opportunity to succeed, someone who believes in second chances, but I too need to ask the ARRT if I can be certified. Please let me know how your pre-application went, and if you have any suggestions I can do to make this possible. If anyone else has more to suggest, please share.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maria sapia in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

Hi my name its maria and i have a felony that been 6yrs on my record and i cant exponge but i will like to be a phisycal therapist but before i start school i will like to know if I will have any problems finding a job on that career. could someone help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Franklin-O in Pasadena, California

40 months ago

To the guy in Ohio, 35-38k starting? That's pretty sad. In California, techs get paid 60-70k starting.

If you cannot get your felonies expunged from your record, then don't even bother trying to start a program. Even if you can get pre-approved by the ARRT, no hospital site will accept you to intern at their site if you have any criminal background. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Johnstown, Ohio

40 months ago

Franklin-O in Pasadena, California said: To the guy in Ohio, 35-38k starting? That's pretty sad. In California, techs get paid 60-70k starting.

If you cannot get your felonies expunged from your record, then don't even bother trying to start a program. Even if you can get pre-approved by the ARRT, no hospital site will accept you to intern at their site if you have any criminal background. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

Techs right out of school are making $33 an hour? That must mean they are starting their RN's off at 80-90k a year. Not saying you fabricated that but I have a hard time believing it, even with California's high cost of living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frankin-O in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

Anthony in Johnstown, Ohio said: Techs right out of school are making $33 an hour? That must mean they are starting their RN's off at 80-90k a year. Not saying you fabricated that but I have a hard time believing it, even with California's high cost of living.

Just out of curiousity, are you a full licensed technologist certified to work in a hospital and do skull work, GI studies, work with a fluoroscopy tube, etc.? Or are you a limited licensed technician who works in a medical or orthopedic back office taking xrays of extremities? Because that would may a difference in pay grades. Otherwise, I share the same disbelief with you that the salaries differ so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Johnstown, Ohio

40 months ago

Yep I'm an R.T.(R) certified by the ARRT and I work in one of the largest hospital systems in Ohio (Mount Carmel Health). The starting pay for a new graduate is 18.29/Hour, and I just graduated in 2010. I'm full time, but I know that casual/PRN techs get paid a little better (maybe 21/hour) because they don't have benefits. Some places around here start their techs off at 20/Hour, but there are NO facilities in this area where there are techs making over 30/hour. Heck, even CT/MR/interventional techs start off around 21-22/Hour. I'm not even sure the techs that have been around 20-30 years are making that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

niga in Brooklyn, New York

40 months ago

I got a bad felony too, and I wanna apply to a good school for this job. I can get into a school right? I just got out from discipline. help people?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paj in Green Bay, Wisconsin

39 months ago

I am also interested in the Radiology program in my area. I have a OWI on my record from 2009. Do any of you guys know if this will pass the pre-app with ARRT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mquitori in Belleview, Florida

39 months ago

I advice would be to fill out the Pre-application for review to the ethics review committee of the ARRT. Be as detailed and honest about your past and the event(s) surrounding the incident(s).

I have a more "checkered" past and have submitted my Pre-application for review several months ago and am still awaiting their decision. The best thing is to get the pre-app in as soon as possible since the ethics review committee only meets a few times (if not once) a year.

Include any accomplishments, character reference letters and letters of recommendation that you can.

Good luck.

Ethics Committee Pre-applciation for Review can be found here:

www.arrt.org/pdfs/Ethics/Ethics-Review-Pre-Application.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trisha in Joliet, Illinois

39 months ago

Even if they let you take the exam, the hard part will be finding a health care facility willing to hire you. If they have applicants without felonies applying vs. an applicant with felonies, its a no brainer who they are going to choose.

K.Conley in Duncanville, Texas

37 months ago

I have a felony on my record from 1995 it was possession of prohibited weapon, So now i want to become a rad tech, haven't been in trouble since then, do anyone have any concrete information about my chances of achieving my goal.

I wanna be a tech in Woodhaven, New York

37 months ago

Hi to all , seem like most of us have something in common a checkered past. I to want to persue a career as a rad tech, so far from this forum it look like the odds are stacked against us, I am really interested in this field , as I have spoken to several tecj over the years and tehy have lead me to believe that this career path is a gold mind and as many other options to choose once your in however I do understand with our felony history this will forever hold us back if our records can not be expunged, if anyone has figured out a solution please let me know, as I am determined to figure this out, thanks everyone for your feedback and insight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

smalltowngirl in Appleton, Wisconsin

37 months ago

I just recently sent in some paperwork of my OWI and a brief explanation of the incident to the ARRT, located in MN. On the website, it stated that if you have a alcohol or drug charge, you must fill out the pre-application. They responded saying that I was okay with pursuing the career, as long as a radiology tech school accepts me. My local hospital program said it wasnt an issue and to apply for the program when I got my associates. So, I believe there is still some hope for us who have charges on our records. Be positive and work hard!

smalltowngirl in Appleton, Wisconsin

37 months ago

mquitori in Belleview, Florida said: I advice would be to fill out the Pre-application for review to the ethics review committee of the ARRT. Be as detailed and honest about your past and the event(s) surrounding the incident(s).

I have a more "checkered" past and have submitted my Pre-application for review several months ago and am still awaiting their decision. The best thing is to get the pre-app in as soon as possible since the ethics review committee only meets a few times (if not once) a year.

Include any accomplishments, character reference letters and letters of recommendation that you can.

Good luck.

Ethics Committee Pre-applciation for Review can be found here:

www.arrt.org/pdfs/Ethics/Ethics-Review-Pre-Application.pdf

--You are still waiting? Are you able to contact them? I got a response back within a couple weeks. Best of luck!

Mquitori in Belleview, Florida

37 months ago

Well, I FINALLY got a response from the ARRT Ethics Review Committee regarding my Pre-application for review and I'm glad to say that they decided in my favor. I got the response letter last month and in a nutshell it stated that I had met the requirements for being considered "rehabilitated" and to not get in any more trouble (not in those words).

I'm so relieved and I am now even more focused on my goal. Good luck to the rest of you whom are attempting to get a favorable review on your Pre-app. All I can tell you is to be completely honest about your past and how you have changed (assuming you have) and include character reference letters. Good luck.

Mquitori in Belleview, Florida

37 months ago

smalltowngirl in Appleton, Wisconsin said: --You are still waiting? Are you able to contact them? I got a response back within a couple weeks. Best of luck!

Well, I FINALLY got a response from the ARRT Ethics Review Committee regarding my Pre-application for review and I'm glad to say that they decided in my favor. I got the response letter last month and in a nutshell it stated that I had met the requirements for being considered "rehabilitated" and to not get in any more trouble (not in those words).

I'm so relieved and I am now even more focused on my goal. Good luck to the rest of you whom are attempting to get a favorable review on your Pre-app. All I can tell you is to be completely honest about your past and how you have changed (assuming you have) and include character reference letters. Good luck.

Alex in Pomona, New York

37 months ago

Good to hear you got accepted. I have a felony charge but it's only cause I made the idiotic mistake of driving with a gun I used for the woods only. I've never committed an act of physical aggression (at least anything remotely serious) in my life. This gives me some hope if the radiology tech jobs are still plentiful I can approach it as a career.

kelli in Columbus, Ohio

22 months ago

hey, anthony i have a few questions maybe you can help me... I have a felony of a mis- use of a credit card in illinois back in 2008 i now live in columbus ohio like you and i want to go to school for rad tech like you how did you get a job at that hospital and did they know about your background when you got hired? also which school did you go to here i need as much help as I can get....

faith in East Saint Louis, Illinois

16 months ago

hello my felony was back in jan 1992, i had to submit an application for a waiver to the il dept of public health to even get accepted into the rt program (approved). i am going to apply for clemency from the governor of il and hopefully this will help once i graduate. what do u think???

faithhope in East Saint Louis, Illinois

16 months ago

i forgot to create a profile, please reply again if you don't mind to the following...thanks
hello my felony was back in jan 1992, i had to submit an application for a waiver to the il dept of public health to even get accepted into the rt program (approved). i am going to apply for clemency from the governor of il and hopefully this will help once i graduate. what do u think???

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.