DO NOT GO INTO RADIOLOGY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Michelle (Miss Sandy) in Prentiss, Mississippi

33 months ago

These couple of posts coming up will be long...if you aren't interested, please just pass them over....however, I have been out of school for almost two years now and have never found full time. I have been working different prn jobs and I have started to write letters to the various people who I think should take responsibility for what is going on in our profession. I've written the ASRT, they never respond. I've written twice to a committe in my home state that is supposed to be the committee that looks at what programs the community colleges teach. They will not respond. I've written for the second time to the JRCERT, this is the organization that certifies the programs that are willing to voluntarily apply for certification. I wrote a lengthy letter on how hard it was to find a job and how I could not pay back my student loans right now and how someone should be responsible for the schools turning out way too many techs. I thought I would post that reply from the brave, professional person who finally responded to my letter and then post my response back to her/him. (The person's name is Leslie and I am unsure of the sex, probably female, but there are some men named Leslie.) Anyway, here goes:

Michelle,

Unlike any other health care profession, programmatic accreditation in our field is voluntary. Students can apply for the certification test and not graduate from a JRCERT accredited program. Therefore, newly developed programs in most instances do not have to apply for accreditation. We can only monitor those programs that are accredited by the JRCERT. We require our programs to assure that they have sufficient resources to support the currently enrolled students. Furthermore, the JRCERT requires programs to monitor job placement rate. Programs that do not meet JRCERT policy for job placement rate must submit a plan that describes how they intend to meet this policy. Many programs will reduce enrollment. If they continually not meet job placement

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

without appropriate action, the JRCERT Board of Directors will withdraw accreditation. However, since accreditation is not required in our profession, they can continue to operate and enroll as many students as they wish.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

name not able to be listed on post, M.S., R.T.(R)

JRCERT

20 North Wacker Drive, Suite 2850

Chicago, IL
www.jrcert.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Hi,

Thank you for the response! You are the first person who has ever responded to my letters to date. I appreciate the fact that you are even willing to look at what I have written and not blow it off completely, as everyone else has. I also sent a letter to JRCERT last year but had no response. I have written many agencies, the ASRT and a committee in my state that oversees what programs the junior colleges offer, but you are the first person to ever reply. Thank you!

Concerning the statement that many of the programs turning out rad techs are not being voluntarily accredited by your agency, I understand. However, that is just not true here in Mississippi. There are ten programs here in the state and every single one of them is approved and certified by your organization. None of these programs are “new” programs either, they have been around for a while. I’ve checked your website. There are NO programs in this state operating without your accreditation. Ten schools in the state of Mississippi is entirely too many when you consider that a lot of them are graduating 20 or 25 or more students. You are looking at over 200 or probably 250 rad techs being turned out each year in this state. One of the more insane things is that in the north part of Mississippi, there are two rad tech programs within 30 miles of each other and in the south, there are two rad tech programs within 30 miles of each other. According to our program director, years ago, the programs usually had 5 or 6 students and there were less accredited programs. Students had jobs waiting on them before they even graduated and another MAJOR thing was that hospitals and clinics were so needy of techs that they were willing to train them into other modalities. I have applied for well over 300 or 400 jobs in my now almost 2 years of searching and have only worked PRN everywhere that I have been able to work. I can tell you that NO WHERE that I have worked or applied to will they bother to train you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I have volunteered to work several weeks FREE to learn CT or Mammography (which I actually got my 40 hour certification in during my school years)....no one will do it. They tell you immediately that they want someone with 2 to 5 years experience (and that’s for PRN jobs) and they will not train. They will simply look through their applications for people applying who already know how to do all of the modalities they want. That should give you an idea of how many people are applying for one job when someone can demand this for a PRN position. I am now driving 200 miles each way to a hospital to only work 24 hours every other weekend. The staff is wonderful, but pay is poor, $15 per hour, and the drive for me is a very long one with gas as high as it is. The reason I am doing this? There are no jobs in my area, when one comes up, I have been told that they receive over 100 applications for it and they have their pick of people with years of experience. Therefore, I almost never even get a chance at an interview! The other reason I am doing that drive? This is the ONLY hospital I have found that is willing to cross train me into CT! I go up there 3 and 4 days before my paid weekend shifts so that I can practice CT and try to learn, with no pay. If I don’t obtain this CT registry, it’s pretty much certain that I’ll never find a decent job in radiology. Small hospitals demand that you be able to do both, but won’t bother with training you. I have lost many job opportunites with small hospitals because of this. I’ve actually had most of them tell me, go get the CT experience somewhere else and then come back, and I’ll hire you then! Talk about gall! X-ray alone will not get you much of a job anymore.....everyone wants someone trained in 2 or 3 modalities with years of experience in all, but no one wants to train you!

My question based on your response is - how is your agency actually assuring there are “sufficient resources to support currently enrolled students”?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

at all because she barely passed. The only male in our class chose to go straight into nursing school because he said he knew he would never make enough money in x-ray and would have such a hard time finding a job. One luckily worked prn for about a year and became full time. Two went on to Ultrasound because they had better hopes of obtaining a job (that field is now becoming glutted with the rush of xray students going into it for that reason). One of those two is working prn and I don’t think the other is working at all, not sure. One went on to obtain her Bachelor’s to help her obtain full time, which she did. It took me, the tenth student, over six months after graduation to decide I’d never get a job just applying and talking with people. I called a radiology director at a hospital and asked if I could work her website advertised PRN weekend minimum wage job as a radiology transporter/clerk to get my foot in the door. That is what I had to do to even begin to work in x-ray, something I suspect most grads would never do. Once I actually got the PRN rad tech job at that facility, I worked weekends and nights PRN for about 8 months. I shifted to the orthopedic clinic they owned that was still PRN and then those hours were cut severely after 3 or 4 months and I had to resign because they actually believed I would commute 65 miles each way to work a 3 hour shift twice a week! Now I am doing 2 PRN jobs (one 200 miles away) and cannot completely pay my bills, let alone the student loans. If you think that maybe my tough luck is because I wasn’t any good, let me tell you. I made a 97 on registry and had a 4.0 and did it while working medical records in a hospital 4 nights each week and weekend. The grades and registry score counted for naught. I highly suspect that my age of 49 doesn’t help me one bit and I do believe it does me a lot of harm. Equal Opportunity Employer is a myth.

I would love to understand by what parameters your agency is deciding that the rad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

tech programs have “sufficient” resources for their grads. I would certainly like to know what your parameters on the job placement rate is, that you mentioned in your letter. Is that job placement rate for full time, part time and prn or is it just job placement period? I don’t believe that you are going to provide me with all the details of this, but let me ask you a very direct question I have discussed with many out of work and underworked, non-healthinsured rad techs. Do you really believe that a couple of tenured teachers are going to jeopardize their full time jobs and pay with benefits and their state retirement from a community or junior college by telling your agency what the actual stats are on their grads? Hell no. When I was despairing to my program director about not being able to find jobs listed to apply for right before I graduated, do you know what he had the nerve to say to me to my face? “Oh, well, at least I got MY letter from the college today telling me that they are renewing the program for another year. At least I’ll have a job for another year.” Yes, he said that out loud to me. I’ve heard of radiology managers speaking with the directors of these programs asking them how they can have the gall to keep recruiting students into the field knowing that they are probably not going to be able to find a decent full time job. Same story, they want to keep THEIR jobs, so they make out that the students are finding good jobs. The colleges want to keep their tuition money, so they aren’t going to voluntarily shut down or reduce the enrollment in their programs. It is all about the $$$$$, the heck with the poor sap students borrowing money to get a degree in this.

I appreciate your response and I appreciate your defense that many new schools turning out rad techs are not certified by your agency, but that argument holds zero water here in my home state. The schools in this state aren’t new by any means, all of the programs have been in place fo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

for a while. All are certified by your agency. All ten of them have been approved by your agency to enroll the number of students that they do. I don’t care how good the schools might be academically , which is one thing your agency reviews - this state does not need ten radiologic technology programs turning out about 250 rad techs sweating and begging for work every year. I suspect there are many other states where they are all certified by your agency and there are just too many. In my almost two years of trying to find jobs, EVERY radiology manager who speaks with me tells me the same thing. “This is not just an economy thing. This has been created by too many schools turning out too many techs for the number of jobs available. I have never seen the field so glutted. It always used to come in cycles every few years where people would have a little trouble finding a job, but then it would even out after a couple of years and we wouldn’t have enough techs. It’s not like that any more. It has been down since about 2005 or before because there are just too many.” I hear it from every experienced manager I talk to. www.Indeed.com , which is a website to look for radiology technologist jobs, has a forum where unemployed rad techs comment all the time. They are from every state in the country and they have been talking about this lack of jobs for years. It would be very beneficial for your agency to take a look at that forum to see what grads from many JRCERT certified schools have to say. Here’s the link:www.indeed.com/forum/job/x-ray-technician.html?myst=50. I think a lot of the more dire posts have been deleted, but you can see a lot of strife over this lack of jobs all over the nation on here.

Like I said, I don’t know what parameters your agency is using to judge the need for the continuation and sometimes increased enrollment of these programs...but I don’t think you need to just expect the directors to volunteer complete and accurate information conce

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

concerning their grad’s work status. You need to know TRUTHFULLY how many of a program’s students found a FULL TIME, DECENT PAYING JOB WITH BENEFITS within 6 months of graduation, period. If it’s not at least 75%, which is what a student in my radiologic technology program had to make to PASS the program, then that program needs a reduction in the number of students until it can hit that employment percentage or it needs to be closed. PRN work in radiology should not even remotely count as a success story and it should not count as an employed graduate, only if it gets you a full time within one year, end of story. Going on to obtain another degree in an entirely different profession because of the lack of rad tech jobs or good pay should not count as a success. That is zero job placement. Having a job as a rad tech where 80% of your work day is collecting urine and blood samples and doing paperwork isn’t success in the field either. I would be willing to bet you top money that there isn’t a single program in this state of Mississippi that is voluntarily providing you with information on their grads and their work status that has admitted the TRUE status of their grad’s job situation and submits a plan to you for resolving the issue (as you’ve stated in your letter to me), such as REDUCING ENROLLMENT. I bet not any school in the state has ever reduced enrollment. As a matter of fact, I understood in 2010 that one in south Mississippi, was actually taking on more students in their program. I suspect it has been more than one in this state as the colleges are pushing them to take in more students for more money.

Your agency needs to review your parameters, and your agency needs to get your information on graduated students’ true job status from the individual graduates...not the paid teachers of the programs. I’d much rather see a couple of teachers from a few of the schools have to try to get their butts out there and find a job in radiology (good luck to them if

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

they are 40 and older, I can tell them all about it!) like we have, than have to see scores of students go through what I and a lot of other graduates have gone through with very little hope of any good full time job with benefits in the future. I will keep on writing the people that haven’t been answering me, unlike you, and encourage other grads to do the same. I have written to an agency in my home state that is supposed to be in charge of which programs are taught in the junior colleges. They will not answer me. I suspect I am about to write a congressman or the governor of the state until I get someone from that committee to respond to me and those of us frustrated by all of this.

To hopefully get many others on this bandwagon, I am going to post your letter to me and my response to you on that forum at www.Indeed.com. I just thank you for actually having the professionalism and courage to respond to me and I hope that my letter will really give you some thought as to how your agency is determining that these programs you certify are needed in that community. A lot of us can tell you, they aren’t – or they should have way less students. I know that the hospital and clinic radiology managers will tell you that all these JRCERT accredited schools are not needed, or at least not with the number of students in them. There is a reason this field was a good one to go into a few years back. The classes were small and there were fewer programs...those students were able to do what they wanted to do for a living when they graduated and be paid fairly decently for doing so. I hope you can help all of us by finding a way to get it back to what it was.

Thank you,

Michelle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I know that was long with both of our letters, but I hope that some of you on this board will start writing the JRCERT, the ASRT if you can ever get them to respond (I never have), but more importantly....start finding those committees or organizations in your state who approve which programs are going to be taught in the junior or community colleges. If they won't respond (as they haven't with me), do what I intend to do...I'll write congressmen or the governor...I will find someone who is going to put that committee that approves programs on the spot and have them look at this program to help limit the numbers of grads coming out. I've had no luck with the professional ASRT answering my concerns. I believe if the number of students and programs is reduced at the state level, this will be a huge starting point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rhonda in Detroit, Michigan

33 months ago

Was the radiologic program tough?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Prentiss, Mississippi

33 months ago

Yes, it was hard and very time-consuming. Our program director was pretty tough academically, which was probably a good thing. It made the registry a breeze. The registry was no where near as tough as all of his mock exams. I think they needed to concentrate more on the actual hands-on...what techniques to use, problems or odd situations that could occur, etc...than they did, much more so than the academic part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Marco, Florida

33 months ago

rhonda in Detroit, Michigan said: On average, how much does an RT make an hour?

Honestly,, average is $0.00 hr for the majority new grads right now, very poor employment market for Radiology Imaging Techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

radtech in Sugar Land, Texas

33 months ago

I got a job right out of school. Multiple offers from the same hospital system- but from different hospitals with in the system. Interviewed at 5 places, with 3 saying they would hire me. I took a position at the hospital I had rotated at during my clinical rotations. 40 hours a week at a PRN pay rate. Declined a full time job 4 months into the job because I plan to move hospitals very soon. Jobs are out there for those who want it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

rhonda in Rochester, Michigan

33 months ago

radtech in Sugar Land, Texas said: I got a job right out of school. Multiple offers from the same hospital system- but from different hospitals with in the system. Interviewed at 5 places, with 3 saying they would hire me. I took a position at the hospital I had rotated at during my clinical rotations. 40 hours a week at a PRN pay rate. Declined a full time job 4 months into the job because I plan to move hospitals very soon. Jobs are out there for those who want it.

What was your salary?

Jobs are hard for everybody right now, not just Rad Techs. Even RNs are having trouble getting employed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Prentiss, Mississippi

33 months ago

Few jobs in my state! HR staff tell me there are usually over 100 applicants for any 1 rad tech job posted. The people that get the jobs have years of experience, do multi-modalites, or know someone. I REALLY WANT a job being a rad tech, that's why I drive 200 miles to work every other weekend. Do you want to know who gets most of the PRN jobs (the only jobs posted here now)? The older techs that already work a full time at another hospital! They take those PRN jobs to supplement their income in this economy. You found a job right out of school & have NO IDEA of how blessed you are to not have gone through what most of us are going through. To say it's out there if you really want it is telling people that post here that they just don't want a job bad enough because they can't find it! Count your blessings and thank God, you are one of the very rare ones hired right out of school, but don't blink, because hospitals lay off, cut hours, etc...all the time. Please don't be insulting to those of us who are searching diligently every day to find those rad tech jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

radtech in Sugar Land, Texas

33 months ago

rhonda in Rochester, Michigan said: What was your salary?

Jobs are hard for everybody right now, not just Rad Techs. Even RNs are having trouble getting employed

PRN rate was 21 an hour for a fresh grad 25 for those with experience. They offered a full time at 19 an hour/w benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

DTime in Akron, Ohio

31 months ago

Im loosing my mind looking for a radiology job! I have been out of school since december and i have applied for so many jobs every place in or around my area i live have ALL my information!! I have never gotten a call back or anything bc they all want "EXPERIENCED TECHS" Well im just out of school...how can i do this? Im so lost i feel like 3 years of my life are DOWN the drain!!!! Please do not go for radiology...save your money and go for something else!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

DTime in Akron, Ohio

31 months ago

im posting again bc as i read through more of these i am so upset bc i see more and more people are out there like me! I was lucky enough for my family to have payed for my education and i feel so much for those who have to pay back all the loans if you can't even find a job and before anyone says oh im lucky, my parents are constantly on my case to find a job and i can't? And they tell me constantly that i have to keep looking bc if i don't i wasted their money :( its really disappointing! And i had about 8 in my class that graduated, 2 had jobs before they quit, they simply got lucky from a clinical sight were people got fired! 1 is working at a clinic, 1 got lucky with a good job at a hospital! The others idk about and me and my friend are BOTH still searching for jobs and my friend found one at a dr's office and she does literally NO x-rays sadly i know thats the case for most! I do not know what is going on and how i am to find a job i really feel like my degree is a waste!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Big Doug in Newark, Ohio

30 months ago

X-ray is in the sewer!!! Has been for 6 years. You might be able to get PRN jobs. You will fight with candidates over these jobs as well and they want to pay you the lowest amount and bend you over with no lube on your hours!!! Dont even think about MRI or CT same no jobs!!! Healthcare is going to continue to take a dive as reimbursement gets slashed like a beeaatttcchhh!!! To be honest you should have chosen a field with more workable options!!! Not saying nursing is the route but there are more workable places and they have ways of easily building your education upwards. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Marco, Florida

30 months ago

@Big Doug,,
Yep, all of Radiology has been hit hard by the Great Recession and the poor economy. PRN seems to be the new norm for most Imaging Departments especially this year(election year)the fear of healthcare reform(obabmacare)and more cuts have stagnated hiring across the board.

@DTime, Keep applying for Rad Tech jobs, but I would strongly suggest finding an alternative career path cause it may be a long wait until a position opens up, if ever. Thousands of unemployed Radiology Techs in all the modalities are having trouble finding work right now, trust me the competition is beyond fierce -- even with experience..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sunny in Elizabeth, New Jersey

21 months ago

dougie in Newark, Ohio said: yea ya wasted your time!!!

You don't have to be soooo RUDE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Poznan, Poland

18 months ago

Hello everyone ! :) Could You help me? I am writting the work about work polish radiologic technologists in America. Is radiologic technologist from outside of America can work in the USA with the certificat from polish university only? Is he must pass an exam in the America ??? If yes - where ?
Sorry for any mistakes :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Radguy1 in Wilmington, North Carolina

18 months ago

Natalie in Poznan, Poland said: Hello everyone ! :) Could You help me? I am writting the work about work polish radiologic technologists in America. Is radiologic technologist from outside of America can work in the USA with the certificat from polish university only? Is he must pass an exam in the America ??? If yes - where ?
Sorry for any mistakes :)

More than likely you will have to contact the ARRT and get them to say whether you will need to take further schooling or just sit for the exam. Once you receive an ARRT credential you will be able to work nation wide.

To learn more about radiology and radiology technologist check out www.radtechnologist.com this site breaks down each modality and what to expect as an employee in that field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Radguy1 in Wilmington, North Carolina

18 months ago

There are jobs out there. Stay with it and look for work in the high turnover states. Always further your education and make yourself more employable... This holds true in all career fields. Be ready to move around and don't be scared opportunity comes to those who are prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Austin, Texas

18 months ago

To "rad tech in sugar land" who says there are jobs for those who want them, that is only partly true. The Houston area including sugar land is blessed with lots of rt jobs. I also had lots of job offers here, and didn't realize how hard the market was else where. Try to move and get a job as an rt somewhere else, and I guarantee you will change your mind. It is condescending to suggest just because you got a job in a huge medical center city, that everyone else can too just as easily. Count your blessings, because you aren't super man ... Your just lucky to live in a good market. My heart goes out to those looking. If your able to move and can stand the humidity, there are lots of jobs in the Houston area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in San Antonio, Texas

16 months ago

How is the job market in San Antonio tx for Radiology tech.. I mean I see lot of people saying its really hard to even get into the program...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MRIchic in Jackson, Mississippi

16 months ago

If you're interested, do it! X-ray school was the best investment I've ever made, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested and willing to put in the time! The programs seem to be harder to get into than they were 8 years ago, but I'd do it anyway. You may have to take more science classes, but it's not impossible. My only negative advice is: Do NOT go to some crazy private school that wants to charge you $45,000! A hospital program would be ideal, but in-state public education comes in second.
I don't know where others get their numbers, but experienced techs get paid well, though almost everyone I know started at entry level x-ray pay on the weekends or second shift or third. I think it's important to be extremely flexible initially.
The market is small, and that's important if you live in a small town and aren't willing to travel or relocate,but program admission numbers seem to rise and fall to accommodate market demand.
Nursing probably offers more security and flexibility initially, but the two fields really have very little in common. The market in Jackson and San Antonio, probably like most larger cities, looks great just from a quick indeed search. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

mattrh in Westminster, Colorado

16 months ago

People need to quit considering this field as a career option. THERE ARE NO JOBS ANYWHERE. The field is saturated. Go do something else where your options are not limited by a flooded market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Heather

14 months ago

This is all so sad and true! I have been looking for an RT job for 4 years now. My student loans are in default and I can't pay my bills. I wish I would have known. The for profit "colleges" out there are a complete joke. They give no support once you graduate and no job placement that was promised to me in the beginning. If you want to be an RT please change your mind, it only brings stress and depression!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Lyons, Georgia

14 months ago

I graduated in May and was lucky enough to land a job 2 weeks after pinning. Our class graduated 12. One of y classmates is full time, two are still working in their student tech positions, and four of us found PRN jobs. I know that I'm extremely lucky to have found employment but I still worry all the time over hours. Some weeks are good and I get nearly forty, but I usually only get 12-24 hours with a few weeks here and there with no hours. I love my job, and I'm soooooooo grateful for it, but I still worry all the time. I'm also back in school for CT, and doing my clinical hours at work. Hopefully I will be registered in that within the year, and then I plan to start cross training in mammo. I volunteer or every shift available, I do my best to make myself valuable, and I just keep praying that everything will keep working out. I know that if I lose this job there is nowhere else to go.

Looking back on X-ray school, the techs at all my clinical sites were constantly telling us there were no jobs out there. When I mentioned my worries to my teacher, she always said the same thing: the jobs are out there, and the techs just like to be discouraging because they don't have the best work ethics and they don't want the competition. Now, as a tech myself, I totally see it. The programs need to be shut down for several years, and my teacher KNOWS this, and only wants to keep her own job. I feel sorry for the students rotating through my site. It's really all just a matter of luck at this point. I'm a hard worker, but so are my classmates who are still out there pounding the pavement. It's not right to continue to do this to people.

Oh, and I live in South Georgia and I make 18/hr, with shift diff for nights and weekends. When I get registered in CT, I will get another dollar per hour. If I do manage to get on full time, my pay will scale back to 16.50. Oh, and at my hospital full time is considered 36 hours per week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lovely2013 in Portland, Maine

13 months ago

what should i do to get my registration licensing with arrt?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Cleveland, Ohio

13 months ago

I have went to school in MI, passed my boards, became licensed and registered. I searched for more than a year for a rad tech job. Hospitals usually hire their own students. My graduating class was around 30. Most of them got jobs within a year after graduating. I on the other hand, did not. I decided to move to OH,So i became registered here, thought i would have a better chance of finding a rad tech job .. I have applied online, drove out to clinics and spoke to the managers in person... Still....NOTHING! I even tried calling hospitals to maybe even volunteer... You know..work for free. Still, NOTHING!! Here i am, graduated almost 3 years ago from a tough, and expensive 2 year radiographer program, not to mention the year and half just waiting on the list to get into the program... still, nothing. Getting a radiology job now seems like hitting the lottery.
I def regret going to school to be a radiology technologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Ocala, Florida

13 months ago

I would like to just say that it isn't only radiology techs that have this problem...this happens with many many positions you go to school for. I was told when I took my nurses aid course that it was a waste of time and money because there where so many applicants and no jobs....it took me about 2 months after I graduated to get a job at the hospital and that had a lot to do with me making friends with people in the hospital who helped me get a position there. Same thing when I got my phlebotomy certificate...again was told I wouldn't be able to find a job. It took me a few months after I graduated and got my certificate but eventually the lab hired me on in the hospital I was already working at as a nurses aid.

I feel that If I hadn't been with the hospital I was working at, at that time, then I probably would not have gotten hired as a phlebotomist there newly out of school. I think that if you can get in with a hospital either before you start classes or while you are in classes it will greatly boost your chances of getting a job with your new certification/degree. I have been looking into doing wither surgical tech or radiology tech as well and its very discouraging to see peoples negative posts about the fields.

If your heart is in it and you are determined enough you will find a job. Even if it means starting out as a housekeeper in a hospital or as a nurses aid or phlebotomist....start at the bottom and work your way up. Get to know people in the area you are working towards and get as much information you need and get to know as many people as you can in that field. Put yourself out there... Networking is key. Applying online is great and convenient, submitting resumes is ok, better with a cover letter that really shows your interest and dedication...but the best way to make a great impression is to be there in their faces and letting them get to know you and see how you are. The more they know you the better your chances will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Ocala, Florida

13 months ago

rhonda in Rochester, Michigan said: why is everyone encouraging students to go into nursing? its flooded enough and nursing is a highly stressful job. no one wants to deal with those annoying patients for an entire shift

If you are considering those sick patients who need us "annoying patients" than for one you shouldn't even be looking in the healthcare area...go look somewhere else where you cannot negatively impact unsuspecting sick patients...for two, nursing is a bit more secure, it is a lot easier to find a job being in nursing, and there are hundreds of different opportunities to look into once you have your nursing degree...nursing is not just about 'dealing with "annoying patients" all day' it is about making a difference in peoples lives.

I really hope with that attitude you are not working in direct contact with any patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ryamom in Lander, Wyoming

13 months ago

No nursing isn't exactly better than rad tech - especially if your are a new grad. You will have to do just as much networking, especially Ito get a hospital job-. I think all healthcare workers are going to be detrimentally affected by Medicare/Medicaid cuts and obamacare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bill Bacurat in Richmond, Virginia

10 months ago

cmc in Edison, New Jersey said: i am interested in being RT but understand the market is so flooded but i am wondering why nobody or not enough of RT wrote to arrt or politician or form their own union to regulate not only schools for putting out too many techs and protecting RT job from non RT professionals? If you're not happy w/ current situation of the RT field make your voice heard and don't rely on letting other do it b/c thats what everybody else is probably thinking about !!!

The answer to your question is the same. The more graduates the more money ARRT makes. The ARRT is not a free service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

17yrtech in Gardena, California

5 months ago

never had it so hard to find work. in my state the hospitals are hiring the new grads. experience is not to my advantage because it requires more pay. To many Techs. not enough cross training. There are jobs for advance modalities that required cross training, however, cross training isn't offered to per diem or registry techs. extremely good at what I do but can't get hired. Strongly considering leaving the field for a different career field. Don't want to waste money for MRI/CT/PET training if I can't work to repay the loans. Good Luck to everyone looking for work. applying for unemployment for the first time in 20 years! Still applying!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

reformist in Tampa, Florida

5 months ago

I do not advise anyone to pursue a career as a Radiologic or X-ray Technologist. I graduated on August of 2013 from a program last year and the job opportunities are non-existent. Out of the 30 classmates that graduated with me, only about 5 have found jobs, and they are only working par-time or per-Diem.
The schools are doing the poor students a great injustice by allowing so many people into these programs well knowing that there is a very poor chance of any of them actually getting full-time employment. These programs are very expensive and require much dedication and sacrifice to complete. After graduation, all you will have to show for it is a huge student loan, unemployment and depression.
There are just to many people graduating and not enough job opportunities available. It will be a flooded job market for many years to come. Do not believe the advertisements made by the schools and the reports from the Dept of Labor statistics about increasing job demand from now to year 2020. The market is so flooded with unemployed Technologists, that they will immediately fill in any gap.
The market is filled with misguided new graduates believing that if they searched hard enough that they would eventfully find a job. I highly suggest that anyone pondering about a career as a Radiologic Technologist to do their research and speak to actual Radiologic Technologists, especially recent graduates to know the true story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

victoria11012 in Auburn, Alabama

5 months ago

reformist in Tampa, Florida said: I do not advise anyone to pursue a career as a Radiologic or X-ray Technologist. I graduated on August of 2013 from a program last year and the job opportunities are non-existent. Out of the 30 classmates that graduated with me, only about 5 have found jobs, and they are only working par-time or per-Diem.
The schools are doing the poor students a great injustice by allowing so many people into these programs well knowing that there is a very poor chance of any of them actually getting full-time employment. These programs are very expensive and require much dedication and sacrifice to complete. After graduation, all you will have to show for it is a huge student loan, unemployment and depression.
There are just to many people graduating and not enough job opportunities available. It will be a flooded job market for many years to come. Do not believe the advertisements made by the schools and the reports from the Dept of Labor statistics about increasing job demand from now to year 2020. The market is so flooded with unemployed Technologists, that they will immediately fill in any gap.
The market is filled with misguided new graduates believing that if they searched hard enough that they would eventfully find a job. I highly suggest that anyone pondering about a career as a Radiologic Technologist to do their research and speak to actual Radiologic Technologists, especially recent graduates to know the true story.

Is it really that awful? Do you think it's the same way everywhere? :( I'm feeling so discouraged

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Radtechmom in Vincent, Alabama

4 months ago

Hello. I graduated from a hospital based program in 2008. I was able to find a job in an urgent care clinic before graduation. However it was not the best employer and I had to move on. I was there three years before finding another job in a clinic where I did more medical assistant work than x-ray. I have applied to sooo many radiology positions and I'm afraid all they see is the medical assisting. I would appreciate any advice on getting experience or becoming registered in other modalities. I live in a small town in Alabama and there are no schools close by that offer CT/MRI training. I would even volunteer and work for free to gain more experience. Thinking of giving up on x-ray all together at this point. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

michiganRT in Ann Arbor, Michigan

3 months ago

I agree. NO JOBS for radiology techs!! If you get hired while doing clinicals your lucky!!
Graduated 2 years ago & still can't find one in radiology!! Lots of colleges still putting them through, so if an opening comes up they take the one in front of them at the time?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Waterville, Maine

2 months ago

I agree with the people saying that the schools are selling the program, knowing full well they are turning out more grads than there will ever be openings for.

Your hard work in school will be less valuable than having the right connections.

I went through a Rad Tech program, and got lucky enough to work for 3 years as a per-diem.

Strangest field I've ever seen. People treated me horribly, people I never met...totally disrespectful. All I can say is that somebody with connections probably bad mouthed me, so that by the time I got to clinicals, people I never met already hated me.

Yet, I was able to get in as a per-diem, but a lot of people still acted jerky with me.

After three years of putting up with it, I got done.

I don't recommend Rad Tech school at all. And you know, I've worked with a better class of people everywhere else. The hospitals are full of egotistical, hard core butt heads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scuba in Saint Paul, Minnesota

1 month ago

Trust me, I've been applying at a place that just hired 5 of my younger classmates right out of school. The clinic just offered retirement to the senior techs so they had a lot of positions suddenly open. Mysteriously, I can't even land an interview with the same place even though my overall work history is much more robust (I am an older student nearing 40 years of age). I know this because I saw one of my classmate's resume's. Trust me, it was not very impressive. I've sure they are being paid the absolute minimum, but I never thought I would see the day where have too much work experience stood in the way of prospective employment. Seriously, take a good, long look at this before you enter a program.

Jen in Garner, North Carolina

24 days ago

It's very sad what has happened to the jobs in Radiology. When I graduated 10 years ago, before I even graduated, I was head hunted by a major hospital that was desperate for techs. Within 2 years the market was flooded and hasn't gotten any better. Part of the problem is there are too many school pushing out too many students and it flooded the market. The other problem is hospitals claim they aren't making as much money and number of patients are down and don't hire as many techs. We are expected to xray twice as many patients as before with less help these days.
It's really sad, I love my job, I'd never want any other job in the hospital, but I definitely can't recommend going into the field right now, unless you are willing to move anywhere to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ani in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

21 days ago

Anyone know any college in new jersey for RT. And how long is the course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ani in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

21 days ago

Jen in Garner, North Carolina said: It's very sad what has happened to the jobs in Radiology. When I graduated 10 years ago, before I even graduated, I was head hunted by a major hospital that was desperate for techs. Within 2 years the market was flooded and hasn't gotten any better. Part of the problem is there are too many school pushing out too many students and it flooded the market. The other problem is hospitals claim they aren't making as much money and number of patients are down and don't hire as many techs. We are expected to xray twice as many patients as before with less help these days.
It's really sad, I love my job, I'd never want any other job in the hospital, but I definitely can't recommend going into the field right now, unless you are willing to move anywhere to find a job.

How long is the course for radiology?
Thanks

Dina in Alexandria, Minnesota

21 days ago

Scuba in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Trust me, I've been applying at a place that just hired 5 of my younger classmates right out of school. The clinic just offered retirement to the senior techs so they had a lot of positions suddenly open. Mysteriously, I can't even land an interview with the same place even though my overall work history is much more robust (I am an older student nearing 40 years of age). I know this because I saw one of my classmate's resume's. Trust me, it was not very impressive. I've sure they are being paid the absolute minimum, but I never thought I would see the day where have too much work experience stood in the way of prospective employment. Seriously, take a good, long look at this before you enter a program.

I'm very interested in getting in the program for RadTech, this will be my second time going to college and I want to make the right career choice. By reading these negative comments about finding a job, mow I'm not sure what to do. Have you found anything yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a-aron in Fullerton, California

3 days ago

Well I feel your pain, but cannot agree with you. I probablly live in one of the hardest markets for radtech's. We have 3 schools pumping out at least 22-26 students a year. So far from my 2011 class everyone has found jobs. Granted some of them are working clinics, but its still a job.

Currently I am working a perdiem job, but getting plenty of hours, basically full time hours at 32$. Do not want to go full time when things are still rocky. Like my coworker always says "last one in, first one out." I do feel safe in my position because I can basically do anything they send me to do, quickly.

I guess it is how you market yourself.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.