Jobs you can do with rad. tech degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 217)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Mary in Scotts Valley, California

54 months ago

Tracey R.T.(R)(M) in Flint, Michigan said: Any suggestions? I've been out of the X-Ray field for 10 years. Worked for 10 years (before quitting to be at home with my boys) doing general, mamms, myelograms and cat scans. Been looking for a job about a year and half without a interview. . . . . ..

Tracey, Some RT programs allow for advance placement for RTs that have been out of the field for a while. Check with your local program if you can or with JRCERT.org, ARRT.org or ASRT.org websites for a list of RT programs that offer advanced placement.
In case you do not have access to such a RT program near you, consider working small first, that is, working for a podiatrist, or urgent care that has x-ray services. The work they do there is limited (as compared to a medical center or hospital) and is a great re-introduction to the profession. If there are no openings, volunteer there or ask to work along side someone, or offer to be "on call" for x-ray services and then negotiate a 2-3 week orientation with the current staff tech or podiatrist to "get familiar with the protocols and equipment". This will build up your resume (make your experience more current) and might just get those interviews to happen for you!
In California, I can get a list of those medical offices that offer x-ray services from the state licensing bureau. I would use this to knock on doors to see if those offices, need a relief tech or extended coverage tech. Sometimes if offered the opportunity for x-ray coverage, an office will want someone to cover Saturdays. Sometimes a cardiologist has a x-ray unit for chests, sometimes a urologist utilizes abdominal films for his or her practice. Look around your local community, then broaden your search to the local region if that doesn't prove productive. Got to hustle! (so to speak).
Mary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracey R.T.(R)(M) in Flint, Michigan

54 months ago

Thank you Mary!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HIAWATHIA81 in Griffith, Indiana

54 months ago

Hi Mary,

I live in IN, same story here as well. One suggestion would be to look for a job at a hospital as PRN. Its not full time or even benefited, but you will be reintroduced to the field. Plus as you are in the hospital system, when there is a open job your chances are improved as you are already in the door. Next while working PRN ask your manager about spending time in CT to get your exams. There is a chance that you will not get paid while doing this, but at least you will have access to the exams you need to sit for boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HIAWATHIA81 in Griffith, Indiana

54 months ago

HIAWATHIA81 in Griffith, Indiana said: Hi Mary,

I live in IN, same story here as well. One suggestion would be to look for a job at a hospital as PRN. Its not full time or even benefited, but you will be reintroduced to the field. Plus as you are in the hospital system, when there is a open job your chances are improved as you are already in the door. Next while working PRN ask your manager about spending time in CT to get your exams. There is a chance that you will not get paid while doing this, but at least you will have access to the exams you need to sit for boards.

sorry i meant tracy

54 months ago

Thanks HIAWATHIA81,
Believe me I'd work for free to get the exams needed. I'd pay for the insurance if someone would give me the opportunity. It's frustrating the internet has made everything so impersonal. I feel that if employers could meet me the outcome might be different. Being judged on what's writen on paper isn't fair in every case. All they see is a tech who has not worked in 9 years. They don't know a thing about myself or my character.

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

54 months ago

Tracey R.T.(R)(M) in Flint, Michigan said: Thanks HIAWATHIA81,
Believe me I'd work for free to get the exams needed. I'd pay for the insurance if someone would give me the opportunity. It's frustrating the internet has made everything so impersonal. I feel that if employers could meet me the outcome might be different. Being judged on what's writen on paper isn't fair in every case. All they see is a tech who has not worked in 9 years. They don't know a thing about myself or my character.

Tracy,

Do you volunteer (in any hospital dept.)? 4 hours a week is usually all they ask. It's a way to break the impersonal barrier and they can get to know you.

54 months ago

xoxo,
I'm going to have to look into that. I'm also going to contact my former manager to see if I could volunteer there. That office does everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TAOTECHAD in Santa Cruz, California

52 months ago

I WOULDNT WASTE MY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GRADUATED FROM PASADENA COLLEGE WITH AN A/S IN RADIOGRAPHY OVER NINE MONTHS AGO. IVE PUT IN AT LEAST 30 APPLICATIONS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND HAVENT HAD 1 INTERVIEW.NOW I HAVE A DEGREE WHICH IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS TO ME NOT TO MENTION A CRAP LOAD OF DEBT. GO INTO NURSING. I spent the last five years in school only for it to be a complete waste of time. now i get to spend the next 20 years paying on school loans that were worthless. Honestly im getting to the point of being very bitter, the radiology field can f??? off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Tracey R.T.(R)(M) in Grand Blanc, Michigan

52 months ago

I feel your pain!!!!! I'm hoping that the people I use to work with can help me. Anymore I think it's who you know not what you know! Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

need information in Hamlin, West Virginia

52 months ago

I'm about to graduate high school and very interested in ultrasound tech but I have been doing research and the college I want to go to for it costs about 38 thousand just for an associates degree. I am wondering if it would be better for me to go for x ray tech and then move on to ultrasound. I read somewhere that you can become an x ray tech and then take free classes at the hospital for ultrasound. Has anyone done this before? Any advice you can give would be very appreciated, especially if you have experience with going through this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Felton, California

51 months ago

One of the more entry level jobs to get is to work for a mobile x-ray service. If you are desperate, try that. They have a lot of turnover because technologists will start there and jump to other employment as it becomes available.

Perhaps you need to get that experience before you expect nationwide employment and to get job interviews??????

TAOTECHAD in Santa Cruz, California said: I WOULDNT WASTE MY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GRADUATED FROM PASADENA COLLEGE WITH AN A/S IN RADIOGRAPHY OVER NINE MONTHS AGO. IVE PUT IN AT LEAST 30 APPLICATIONS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND HAVENT HAD 1 INTERVIEW.NOW I HAVE A DEGREE WHICH IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS TO ME NOT TO MENTION A CRAP LOAD OF DEBT. GO INTO NURSING. I spent the last five years in school only for it to be a complete waste of time. now i get to spend the next 20 years paying on school loans that were worthless. Honestly im getting to the point of being very bitter, the radiology field can f??? off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

aks in Birmingham, Alabama

51 months ago

I am a recent ultrasound grad with still no job after a year and a half. I am considering going back to school to get my degree in xray. Anybody out there a recent xray grad and found a job easily after school?

Riosilk in Whitney, Texas

50 months ago

dantheman in Miami, Florida said: Radiologic Technology is probably one of the worst fields in healthcare to go into now bcuz of what someone else was saying, the market is being flooded with other schools pumping out rad techs right now. Too many rad techs, too little positions, bad economy, reciepe for unemployment!!!! Graduated May 2008 from a Rad Technology school in Miami, FL and still can't find a job. Also, most jobs say "2 years of experience required". This really sucks. How are you supposed have experience if no one ever invests in you after graduation!! Don't do it. Do nursing. Even after graduation, someone will be willing to invest in a recent graduate because of the need for nurses.

I am about to finish my two year program, and it seems that what you say is true...jobs are mostly non-existent. I am so upset. I have wasted all this time, and I can't afford this! I am alone, and was counting on having a job when I got done, so I could support myself! Supposedly, there was a bill called CARE that was supposed to have been enacted during this year, that made openings in the job markets...as non-certified techs were not going to be allowed any longer. I can't see that this has made any difference at all. We have around 3 or 4 schools that are cranking out candidates each year, and I can't see where all of us are supposed to go. I am really, really upset about this, but what can I do to make the best of it? I don't want to keep working for MINIMUM WAGE at Walmart! Avoiding that is why I WENT to school at this late time in life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Riosilk in Whitney, Texas

50 months ago

taylor in Phoenix, Arizona said: im in a rad program right now and the clinical hours qualify as experience. there are so many different areas that you can get into. and its better then working at mcdonalds your whole life.

Your clinicals count as experience? In that case, when I get through my program I will have completed two years of experience. Can I come work out there where YOU are??? I will be glad to move, since I am not wild about this area anyway, I never even considered when I came here I would end up going to school!

I was told by someone who came to my school from Austin, that our grads were 'preferred' over many others because of the fact that we DID have clinicals from the get-go. I can't imagine doing it any other way...?

ladygrace in Salina, Kansas

50 months ago

Sad the schools are still recruiting people for rad tech & they know there are no jobs for them post grad :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Really? I just visited a rad dept. and glanced at their employee announcement board. There were 2 full time job and 1 prn job openings for x-ray techs. These jobs are not posted on the internet.

I know it varies between states and however all I hear are people who proclaim there are "NO JOBS!!!!" only look on the internet and throw their resumes around out of desperation. Sadly, those who job hunt this way miss a huge portion of the hidden job market such as the one I mentioned above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happediv in Charlotte, North Carolina

49 months ago

rachelsweeney in Burlington, Massachusetts said: Would people suggest massage therapy or rad tech? I am confused and considering both.. which one would you recommend?

Don't do MASSAGE THERAPY! It used to be a booming field. It is a disposable income job. With the market changing it is NOT consistent. Some week are good others are slow. If you have another means of income ...like a spouse with income it's good but if it's your only source of income don't do it ... it will be a waste of your money.

susan in Mocksville, North Carolina

49 months ago

jillybean in Mount Pleasant, Michigan said: Reading some of these comments have got me scared. I plan on getting my rad. degree but also have a lot of other education. Wouldn't someone with several degrees get the job over someone with just an associate

I disagree with DLS57 regarding more education getting you further. I have a BA in addition to the 2 year Associates degree in radiography. I graduated last July, passed the ARRT exam the next month, have applied to cities up to 5 hours away from me and have yet to get one interview. It's quite depressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Mocksville, North Carolina

49 months ago

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia said: Tracy,

Do you volunteer (in any hospital dept.)? 4 hours a week is usually all they ask. It's a way to break the impersonal barrier and they can get to know you.

I've tried to volunteer at the local free clinic, but even volunteer work is being flooded. :(

49 months ago

susan in Mocksville, North Carolina said: I've tried to volunteer at the local free clinic, but even volunteer work is being flooded. :(

Usually free community clinics will be flooded with volunteers, that doesn't mean that the whole system is. Do not make any general assumptions because one experience didn't work out. What other places have you tried?

49 months ago

susan in Mocksville, North Carolina said: I've tried to volunteer at the local free clinic, but even volunteer work is being flooded. :(

Your probably not going to like what I have say ... but that :( doesn't just stay on the computer screen. Without realizing it you're probably wearing it as well and people notice. Chin up.

zander in Mission Viejo, California

48 months ago

Listen people. We are in a recession. No one has jobs available right out of school. I'm finishing my BA at a University while on the rad tech waitlist at my cc. My friends who just graduated in Mechanical engineering (one of the best post bachelors jobs in the past) can't get a job. Grads from harvard Law can't get jobs. My RN friends say there is such a glut of nurses now that they have no jobs available either...besides every experienced RN I ever knew couldn't stand their job they are treated so badly by patient families and doctors. My point is no field is hiring right now and you should just do what you think you will love doing, don't spend 30000 for an associates degree like an idiot unless you come from a rich family who will support you and just wait out this recession getting your education and planning for your future. The elderly population is about to explode, people will live into there 90's, and health care is the surest industry to provide for a future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Felton, California

48 months ago

I agree wholeheartedly-well said.
Except for your statement "there is a glut of nurses." Again, there are not too many nurses but there is a sparsity of jobs for the available number of nurses - we are in a recession. We have to stop blaming schools and look at the job market side of things.Hospitals have stopped hiring.
If the schools stop graduating allied health workers, in 3-5 years we will have a shortage. With the aging population and the influx of people having access to health care, the health industry is set for growth. The people in school now are positioned for this growth. Recent grads are the group that are having the tough times and must have patience, the cycle will correct itself. Hang in there, be vigilant and remember that every time you apply, you are that much closer to a job. No applications=no job. Persist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jillybean in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

48 months ago

susan in Mocksville, North Carolina said: I disagree with DLS57 regarding more education getting you further. I have a BA in addition to the 2 year Associates degree in radiography. I graduated last July, passed the ARRT exam the next month, have applied to cities up to 5 hours away from me and have yet to get one interview. It's quite depressing.

I wish you luck. I am not going to Rad. school anymore, it seems to much of a gamble. After waiting two years to get into the program it is rather depressing day for me. I just cannot take the risk and have already dumped a lot of money into school. While the economy will pick up and I am sure it will get better, maybe in 10 years. Yikes.

zander in Mission Viejo, California

48 months ago

jillybean in Mount Pleasant, Michigan said: I wish you luck. I am not going to Rad. school anymore, it seems to much of a gamble. After waiting two years to get into the program it is rather depressing day for me. I just cannot take the risk and have already dumped a lot of money into school. While the economy will pick up and I am sure it will get better, maybe in 10 years. Yikes.

What career will you do may I ask? Have you found one that has good job prospects?

Em in San Diego, California

45 months ago

Dana in Fresno, California said: Don't forget, after your 2 year associate program, you will have to have more education to get a specialty. You will only be a rad. tech. with your first two years. After you complete that, you can then branch out and add training for MRI, Mammography etc.

Do you (or does ANYONE) know of any good programs for mri or mammography? And do you also happen to know the pay for either of those careers? I'm thinking of doing radiography at pmi and then clueless on what to do after to get into mri, mammography or something in the field that's higher paying than a rad tech, any help or advice is appreciated. thanks!

taurus20red in Atlanta, Georgia

45 months ago

My advice to you is DONT go to school for anything in radiology right now. You will have a very hard time finding a job in any specialty including mri or mammography. The job market is just too flooded right now and unless you already have experience they probably wont hire you. There are already thousands of radiography students that just graduated who cant find jobs. DONT waste your time with it.

CHAD FALSETTI in Beverly Hills, California

45 months ago

I would not wast my time going for a RadTech degree. It doesnt matter how many degrees you have. If you have no exp you will not get hired, hell, you will not even get an interview. The job market is soo flooded with techs right now. Oh by the way, the 2000 clinical hours required to get your license DO NOT qualify as exp. I am a fully licensed RadTech who graduated from a very reputable school in Southern California over a year and a half ago at the top of my class and cannot even get an interview!!!! To be honest, the four years it took to get the degree was a complete waste of time!!!!! As of the last 1 1/2 years toilet paper has been more useful than my degree. I am not even sure i am going to do the CE points in order to keep my degree. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D F in Baltimore, Maryland

45 months ago

charzar in Painesville, Ohio said: I am a recruiter and I'd advise you to focus on CathLab/specials. Lots of jobs across the USA for them.

Just be careful of which state you are in though. Laws are changing, and with just cath lab/specials, you won't get anywhere. You would still need to be an RT.

chris in Tulsa, Oklahoma

45 months ago

TYW in Alma, Illinois said: If she was a radiologist, then she doesn't earn a low wage and doesn't need a second job. Radiologists are medical doctors with 14+ years of education under their belt. She's making somewhere between $80k-$120k per year probably.

That is assuming she's a radiologist and not a radiologic technologist, which is a person who takes x-rays.

the radilolgist at my hospital here in new mexico make more like 250,000 to 400,000 a year. Radiologist are among the highest paid doctors!!!

Christopher in San Diego, California

43 months ago

Hello Mary in Scotts Valley! I sure do miss that area! I used to live in san jose and would venture down there often. My favorite road and winery are both very close to you. Bear Creek road and David Bruce! sorry for being so off topic,
But, I also want to say to everyone else, I know there seems to be a lot of negative people on here but keep your head up. Radiography is not the end of the road you can always branch off to other things like sonography or radiation therapy ect. so if you feel like its what you want to do then just go for it!
I have had jobs with a high school education making the money you make with a degree, its always about selling yourself. If they like you and you rub off on them in a positive way the skys the limit. Confidence is key in success no matter what you are applying for! If you negative and look at it as a glass half empty then youll be just like the rest of the people complaining in this forum. (no offense)
I wish everyone the best of luck in finding job placement and or succeeding with what ever there heart desires!

Happy New year!

sandi

43 months ago

Veteran X-Ray Tech in Durham, North Carolina said: Do not go into radiology now if you want to find a job. THERE ARE NO XRAY JOBS IN NORTH CAROLINA. The market is flooded with techs coming out of school. I have been a tech for 20 years and am blessed to be working since I have the experience. You will not be as lucky, sorry. If I was young now and had to pick a career in healthcare it would be nursing just so I would have some chance at a job. Good luck.

I'm graduating from Missouri this summer and in the state of Missouri, you dont have to be licensed tech to take xrays...I was wondering if you need to be licensed in NC? Missouri is saturated as well...schools everywhere around here...its crazy!!

Xrayz in Charlottesville, Virginia

43 months ago

I read here with much interest some saying you can just go in Hospitals, Clinics etc. and talk to somebody about an X-Ray job. Not here I can assure you. Human Resources has very effectively built a wall around themselves. The ONLY way to apply is to send Application, Cover Letter and Resume online. The Application is basically handtyping what is already detailed in the Resume. They will not take any phone calls, no personal interaction whatsover. Sign of the times? There has only been 3 (three) X-Ray jobs posted here in over 7 months. I have applied for all 3. Not only did I not get a call about an interview, I did not even get a reponse to follow-up e-mails I sent thanking the employer for considering me for the position. How long does it take to click "Reply" and type "OK"? A short response from them would have been fantastic but an "OK" would have at least let me know they looked at my application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Leesburg, Virginia

43 months ago

Hello, I am enrolled in the local community college. I started out doing Medical Assisting. Everyone suggested to me that this was a fast growing career path, but everwhere I would look they pretty much would top out at around 15 per hour or maybe a litte more. they also can't work in hospitals etc. So I have switched my classes around some, and I am going for the pre-reqs for the Radiology program at Hagerstown Community College, which is about 40 mins driving distance from my house. I have about another year an a half of pre-reqs and then going on the the radiography program for another two years. I hate to think that all of this work would not pay off for me in the end?
I would have chosen nursing, but I really dont think that it is the right career for me. I love helping people, but I dont think that I could pull out stitches or sedate people. I do not like having people's lives in my hands. I realized that the medical feild was a growing one, so that is why I tried to choose a career path that wasn't as invasive, but would still allow me to help and care for patients.
I have thought about being a diagnostic medical sonographer, after i am finished with my xray program. They also offer different specializations. Either CT, XRAY, or mamogramy. Which would better help me to find be more hireable, and also which would relate most to the diagnostic medical sonography if i were to choose to do that later on?

D in Baltimore, Maryland

43 months ago

Amanda in Leesburg, Virginia said: Hello, I am enrolled in the local community college. I started out doing Medical Assisting. Everyone suggested to me that this was a fast growing career path, but everwhere I would look they pretty much would top out at around 15 per hour or maybe a litte more. they also can't work in hospitals etc. So I have switched my classes around some, and I am going for the pre-reqs for the Radiology program at Hagerstown Community College, which is about 40 mins driving distance from my house. I have about another year an a half of pre-reqs and then going on the the radiography program for another two years. I hate to think that all of this work would not pay off for me in the end?
I would have chosen nursing, but I really dont think that it is the right career for me. I love helping people, but I dont think that I could pull out stitches or sedate people. I do not like having people's lives in my hands. I realized that the medical feild was a growing one, so that is why I tried to choose a career path that wasn't as invasive, but would still allow me to help and care for patients.
I have thought about being a diagnostic medical sonographer, after i am finished with my xray program. They also offer different specializations. Either CT, XRAY, or mamogramy. Which would better help me to find be more hireable, and also which would relate most to the diagnostic medical sonography if i were to choose to do that later on?

If you are talking about Hagerstown in MD, then think about something else. There are so many other schools in MD and the field is inundated. I was doing my clinicals with people from Hagerstown. If you want to get into sonography, just do that. The other part about becoming more marketable by getting into other fields... you need to get a job in order to move on. Catch-22.

Amanda in Lovettsville, Virginia

43 months ago

Yes I am referring to hagerstown in md. I was also considering Sanford Brown, but that is private and would cost like 30k or more and is farther away for commuting. my other idea was to do the radiology program that is offered at Winchester Hospital center. It is also a 2 year program, but you don't get an associates with it. I have looked pretty much everywhere for a school that is close enough to commute to and that has a radiology program. Maybe you have another suggestion?

D in Baltimore, Maryland

43 months ago

Amanda in Lovettsville, Virginia said: Yes I am referring to hagerstown in md. I was also considering Sanford Brown, but that is private and would cost like 30k or more and is farther away for commuting. my other idea was to do the radiology program that is offered at Winchester Hospital center. It is also a 2 year program, but you don't get an associates with it. I have looked pretty much everywhere for a school that is close enough to commute to and that has a radiology program. Maybe you have another suggestion?

I'm saying in general, Maryland has way too many techs, and not enough jobs. I graduated this past May, and only 2 people have found f/t jobs while 3 others are working PRN out of my graduating class. If you really want to try it, then go get an Associates, you'll need that anyway when regulations change. but i was saying you may want to think of another field altogether, like sonography.

Taotechadf in La Puente, California

43 months ago

I would consider another field altogether! I graduated over 1 1/2 years ago with an associates and fully acredited. The tech market is completely flooded in the US. I have put in applications all over the country and have not even gottin an interview. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ks0077 in Jefferson City, Missouri

43 months ago

Do Not Go to Radiology!! I am out of school 1 1/2 years fully accredited with no job!!! Others I graduated with also have no jobs. You can do a sonography program with out doing Radiology. I suggest that is what you need to do. Try a 4 year university Columbia, Missouri has that program. Your classes should mostly transfer. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

dantheman in Miami, Florida said: Radiologic Technology is probably one of the worst fields in healthcare to go into now bcuz of what someone else was saying, the market is being flooded with other schools pumping out rad techs right now. Too many rad techs, too little positions, bad economy, reciepe for unemployment!!!! Graduated May 2008 from a Rad Technology school in Miami, FL and still can't find a job. Also, most jobs say "2 years of experience required". This really sucks. How are you supposed have experience if no one ever invests in you after graduation!! Don't do it. Do nursing. Even after graduation, someone will be willing to invest in a recent graduate because of the need for nurses.

I Hear You!!! I am right there also!!!! No Job 1 1/2 year out from graduation working in an appartment rental job it sucks!!! Now student loans to pay for schooling that done me no good at all!!!

43 months ago

go sono, nursing anything but radiology!!! Wasting your education, no jobs! Unless you become a doctor of radiology a Radiologist!!!

Taotechadf in La Puente, California

43 months ago

These people are absolutely right! Dont do it!!!! Been graduated for almost two years with no job. Its really hard to believe that someone is going to hire me after soo much time has gone by without doing exams. I am at the point of letting my license expire and moving on with my life. Good luck

D in Columbia, Maryland

43 months ago

I wouldn't say nursing is too much better either. Most places won't hire new nurses because they don't want to pay to train them. At least that most of my friends who graduated the nursing program ran into. They are also stuck with nights or weekends as job choices. I know I am a single parent, and shift choices are important to me. Everyone says the medical field is the way to go, but not from what I see.

Blessed in Jonesboro, Arkansas

42 months ago

thinking of rad tech. in Arlington, Texas said: Hi, i am thinking about getting an associates in radiology technology and I was wondering what a person who is actually in the field, what they say the jobs I could do are. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and I have heard there are way too many x-ray techs around here, so i want to be sure I will be able to do more than just x-ray. Thanks for any help.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Radiology and I really love it... I love the diversity of the job.. You can cross train into other modalities which makes you even more of an asset, and when you have aquired your required exams in CT, MRI...you can challenge the registry for other modalities except Ultra Sound and Nuclear Med. The Bachelor's degree gives you more of an advantage if you wanted to go into management. There are jobs to be found, many people that have a difficulty finding jobs are because they don't want to relocate.. It is a great profession, one that I have great respect for. Many people that I know while in school, got positions as Patient Care Techs and when they graduated was able to transfer to the Radiology Department... I have found as well, when your in the program and your in your clinical rotations work hard, because it is like an interview, because they are watching you as you work and your ability to adapt to various situations.. Be Blessed!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JK in Sarasota, Florida

42 months ago

*** WARNING***

The tech schools will lie to you so they can take your money. There are very little jobs out there and the ones that are being posted or offered are for Radiologic Technologist with at least two years exp. Most of the jobs that are being posted online are through larger hospitals, that have a HR department and it is almost impossible to get past HR. Word of mouth is about the only way one may land a job or look good in scrubs if you know what I mean. There is a huge supply of Radiologic Technologist and a low demand to hire one, this translate into lower wages to start, but if you are lucky enough to get an offer take whatever they give you. I'm not bitter, but it is going to be real hard to payoff school loans in a field you can't even get a job in. And far has your internship being your work experience, I heard straight from the mouth of a department head that he would not hire anyone from a certain well know Rad. technologist school in Florida, he liken this University to a "puppy mill". Real encouraging! Please do your homework, educate yourself, and save money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

as in Mission Viejo, California

42 months ago

Is part of the problem that for-profit schools are abundant and duping students into thinking that it is wise to pay a lot of money for a degree which will probably never make them that much money? Is this the reason for so much bitterness against the career? I am waitlisted at community college and the entire program will only be around 2500.00, very fair and reasonable I feel especially since bachelors students (psychology/bio/soc etc) are graduating with worthless degrees and not finding jobs and have 80 thousand in loans to pay off . How much are you people paying at private schools for the rad tech degree?

D in Baltimore, Maryland

42 months ago

as in Mission Viejo, California said: Is part of the problem that for-profit schools are abundant and duping students into thinking that it is wise to pay a lot of money for a degree which will probably never make them that much money? Is this the reason for so much bitterness against the career? I am waitlisted at community college and the entire program will only be around 2500.00, very fair and reasonable I feel especially since bachelors students (psychology/bio/soc etc) are graduating with worthless degrees and not finding jobs and have 80 thousand in loans to pay off . How much are you people paying at private schools for the rad tech degree?

Its not the money. Honestly, grants paid for my entire education. Its the fact that there are no jobs, and people spend a few years of their life working towards a field we are told is plentiful, only to find out there is nothing there. I'm once again stuck in a job with lousy pay because I can't get a tech job.

as in Mission Viejo, California

42 months ago

I see. It just seems that no one is finding jobs out of school because of the economy. In the mean time, does anyone know of any careers that are good? Lets be constructive and not just whine. It seems then that the healthcare isn't the way to go since Nursing/rad tech/us is a dead end according to these boards so Please start posting suggestions so people who need to move on from rad tech can focus and be productive in pursuing a different job path!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Santa Cruz, California

42 months ago

Yes, we are in an employment slump in radiography. But if you are planning to enter the imaging profession in 2 or 3 years down the line, that slump will be much reduced. In other words the employment picture will be better. Just in the past year in California I have seen per diem jobs open up and specialty imaging jobs open up. To me, this indicate a turn around. I am seeing new grads from a year ago now getting interviews.
If you love imaging and want to be a radiographer, then do enter the profession. By the time you finish your pre-requisites and your training, the employment picture will be better.
How to protect your future?
Ensure that you attend a good school (not a diploma mill that charges $10,000-20,000 for 6 months training!)
Make sure your program completion will allow you to sit for the NATIONAL registry (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) www.ARRT.org
Go to a program that is accredited by the Joint Commission on Education in Radiologic Technology (go to www.JRCERT.org for a list). Ask the program director what percentage of grads pass their national registry exam on the first attempt. If it is an excellent school that answer should be in the 85-100 percent. Also ask what their attrition rate is. The national average was approximately 18% a few years back. Do what you love and love what you do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Taotechadf in Santa Cruz, California

42 months ago

Hello Mary in Santa Cruz, i graduated a year and half ago from a very good school (fully accredited). I also live in Santa Cruz but cannot find a job in the field to save my life. Do you have any advice? Its gotten to the point where im almost ready to let my license expire and move on with my life. Im just not sure, that if it takes two more years for the market to change if any company will even consider hiring me if I havnt taken xrays in almost four years!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.