Jobs you can do with rad. tech degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 192)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Amanda in Leesburg, Virginia

55 months ago

Hello, I am enrolled in the local community college. I started out doing Medical Assisting. Everyone suggested to me that this was a fast growing career path, but everwhere I would look they pretty much would top out at around 15 per hour or maybe a litte more. they also can't work in hospitals etc. So I have switched my classes around some, and I am going for the pre-reqs for the Radiology program at Hagerstown Community College, which is about 40 mins driving distance from my house. I have about another year an a half of pre-reqs and then going on the the radiography program for another two years. I hate to think that all of this work would not pay off for me in the end?
I would have chosen nursing, but I really dont think that it is the right career for me. I love helping people, but I dont think that I could pull out stitches or sedate people. I do not like having people's lives in my hands. I realized that the medical feild was a growing one, so that is why I tried to choose a career path that wasn't as invasive, but would still allow me to help and care for patients.
I have thought about being a diagnostic medical sonographer, after i am finished with my xray program. They also offer different specializations. Either CT, XRAY, or mamogramy. Which would better help me to find be more hireable, and also which would relate most to the diagnostic medical sonography if i were to choose to do that later on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

D in Baltimore, Maryland

55 months ago

Amanda in Leesburg, Virginia said: Hello, I am enrolled in the local community college. I started out doing Medical Assisting. Everyone suggested to me that this was a fast growing career path, but everwhere I would look they pretty much would top out at around 15 per hour or maybe a litte more. they also can't work in hospitals etc. So I have switched my classes around some, and I am going for the pre-reqs for the Radiology program at Hagerstown Community College, which is about 40 mins driving distance from my house. I have about another year an a half of pre-reqs and then going on the the radiography program for another two years. I hate to think that all of this work would not pay off for me in the end?
I would have chosen nursing, but I really dont think that it is the right career for me. I love helping people, but I dont think that I could pull out stitches or sedate people. I do not like having people's lives in my hands. I realized that the medical feild was a growing one, so that is why I tried to choose a career path that wasn't as invasive, but would still allow me to help and care for patients.
I have thought about being a diagnostic medical sonographer, after i am finished with my xray program. They also offer different specializations. Either CT, XRAY, or mamogramy. Which would better help me to find be more hireable, and also which would relate most to the diagnostic medical sonography if i were to choose to do that later on?

If you are talking about Hagerstown in MD, then think about something else. There are so many other schools in MD and the field is inundated. I was doing my clinicals with people from Hagerstown. If you want to get into sonography, just do that. The other part about becoming more marketable by getting into other fields... you need to get a job in order to move on. Catch-22.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Lovettsville, Virginia

55 months ago

Yes I am referring to hagerstown in md. I was also considering Sanford Brown, but that is private and would cost like 30k or more and is farther away for commuting. my other idea was to do the radiology program that is offered at Winchester Hospital center. It is also a 2 year program, but you don't get an associates with it. I have looked pretty much everywhere for a school that is close enough to commute to and that has a radiology program. Maybe you have another suggestion?

D in Baltimore, Maryland

55 months ago

Amanda in Lovettsville, Virginia said: Yes I am referring to hagerstown in md. I was also considering Sanford Brown, but that is private and would cost like 30k or more and is farther away for commuting. my other idea was to do the radiology program that is offered at Winchester Hospital center. It is also a 2 year program, but you don't get an associates with it. I have looked pretty much everywhere for a school that is close enough to commute to and that has a radiology program. Maybe you have another suggestion?

I'm saying in general, Maryland has way too many techs, and not enough jobs. I graduated this past May, and only 2 people have found f/t jobs while 3 others are working PRN out of my graduating class. If you really want to try it, then go get an Associates, you'll need that anyway when regulations change. but i was saying you may want to think of another field altogether, like sonography.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Taotechadf in La Puente, California

55 months ago

I would consider another field altogether! I graduated over 1 1/2 years ago with an associates and fully acredited. The tech market is completely flooded in the US. I have put in applications all over the country and have not even gottin an interview. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ks0077 in Jefferson City, Missouri

55 months ago

Do Not Go to Radiology!! I am out of school 1 1/2 years fully accredited with no job!!! Others I graduated with also have no jobs. You can do a sonography program with out doing Radiology. I suggest that is what you need to do. Try a 4 year university Columbia, Missouri has that program. Your classes should mostly transfer. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

dantheman in Miami, Florida said: Radiologic Technology is probably one of the worst fields in healthcare to go into now bcuz of what someone else was saying, the market is being flooded with other schools pumping out rad techs right now. Too many rad techs, too little positions, bad economy, reciepe for unemployment!!!! Graduated May 2008 from a Rad Technology school in Miami, FL and still can't find a job. Also, most jobs say "2 years of experience required". This really sucks. How are you supposed have experience if no one ever invests in you after graduation!! Don't do it. Do nursing. Even after graduation, someone will be willing to invest in a recent graduate because of the need for nurses.

I Hear You!!! I am right there also!!!! No Job 1 1/2 year out from graduation working in an appartment rental job it sucks!!! Now student loans to pay for schooling that done me no good at all!!!

55 months ago

go sono, nursing anything but radiology!!! Wasting your education, no jobs! Unless you become a doctor of radiology a Radiologist!!!

Taotechadf in La Puente, California

55 months ago

These people are absolutely right! Dont do it!!!! Been graduated for almost two years with no job. Its really hard to believe that someone is going to hire me after soo much time has gone by without doing exams. I am at the point of letting my license expire and moving on with my life. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D in Columbia, Maryland

55 months ago

I wouldn't say nursing is too much better either. Most places won't hire new nurses because they don't want to pay to train them. At least that most of my friends who graduated the nursing program ran into. They are also stuck with nights or weekends as job choices. I know I am a single parent, and shift choices are important to me. Everyone says the medical field is the way to go, but not from what I see.

Blessed in Jonesboro, Arkansas

55 months ago

thinking of rad tech. in Arlington, Texas said: Hi, i am thinking about getting an associates in radiology technology and I was wondering what a person who is actually in the field, what they say the jobs I could do are. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and I have heard there are way too many x-ray techs around here, so i want to be sure I will be able to do more than just x-ray. Thanks for any help.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Radiology and I really love it... I love the diversity of the job.. You can cross train into other modalities which makes you even more of an asset, and when you have aquired your required exams in CT, MRI...you can challenge the registry for other modalities except Ultra Sound and Nuclear Med. The Bachelor's degree gives you more of an advantage if you wanted to go into management. There are jobs to be found, many people that have a difficulty finding jobs are because they don't want to relocate.. It is a great profession, one that I have great respect for. Many people that I know while in school, got positions as Patient Care Techs and when they graduated was able to transfer to the Radiology Department... I have found as well, when your in the program and your in your clinical rotations work hard, because it is like an interview, because they are watching you as you work and your ability to adapt to various situations.. Be Blessed!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JK in Sarasota, Florida

55 months ago

*** WARNING***

The tech schools will lie to you so they can take your money. There are very little jobs out there and the ones that are being posted or offered are for Radiologic Technologist with at least two years exp. Most of the jobs that are being posted online are through larger hospitals, that have a HR department and it is almost impossible to get past HR. Word of mouth is about the only way one may land a job or look good in scrubs if you know what I mean. There is a huge supply of Radiologic Technologist and a low demand to hire one, this translate into lower wages to start, but if you are lucky enough to get an offer take whatever they give you. I'm not bitter, but it is going to be real hard to payoff school loans in a field you can't even get a job in. And far has your internship being your work experience, I heard straight from the mouth of a department head that he would not hire anyone from a certain well know Rad. technologist school in Florida, he liken this University to a "puppy mill". Real encouraging! Please do your homework, educate yourself, and save money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

as in Mission Viejo, California

55 months ago

Is part of the problem that for-profit schools are abundant and duping students into thinking that it is wise to pay a lot of money for a degree which will probably never make them that much money? Is this the reason for so much bitterness against the career? I am waitlisted at community college and the entire program will only be around 2500.00, very fair and reasonable I feel especially since bachelors students (psychology/bio/soc etc) are graduating with worthless degrees and not finding jobs and have 80 thousand in loans to pay off . How much are you people paying at private schools for the rad tech degree?

D in Baltimore, Maryland

55 months ago

as in Mission Viejo, California said: Is part of the problem that for-profit schools are abundant and duping students into thinking that it is wise to pay a lot of money for a degree which will probably never make them that much money? Is this the reason for so much bitterness against the career? I am waitlisted at community college and the entire program will only be around 2500.00, very fair and reasonable I feel especially since bachelors students (psychology/bio/soc etc) are graduating with worthless degrees and not finding jobs and have 80 thousand in loans to pay off . How much are you people paying at private schools for the rad tech degree?

Its not the money. Honestly, grants paid for my entire education. Its the fact that there are no jobs, and people spend a few years of their life working towards a field we are told is plentiful, only to find out there is nothing there. I'm once again stuck in a job with lousy pay because I can't get a tech job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

as in Mission Viejo, California

54 months ago

I see. It just seems that no one is finding jobs out of school because of the economy. In the mean time, does anyone know of any careers that are good? Lets be constructive and not just whine. It seems then that the healthcare isn't the way to go since Nursing/rad tech/us is a dead end according to these boards so Please start posting suggestions so people who need to move on from rad tech can focus and be productive in pursuing a different job path!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Santa Cruz, California

54 months ago

Yes, we are in an employment slump in radiography. But if you are planning to enter the imaging profession in 2 or 3 years down the line, that slump will be much reduced. In other words the employment picture will be better. Just in the past year in California I have seen per diem jobs open up and specialty imaging jobs open up. To me, this indicate a turn around. I am seeing new grads from a year ago now getting interviews.
If you love imaging and want to be a radiographer, then do enter the profession. By the time you finish your pre-requisites and your training, the employment picture will be better.
How to protect your future?
Ensure that you attend a good school (not a diploma mill that charges $10,000-20,000 for 6 months training!)
Make sure your program completion will allow you to sit for the NATIONAL registry (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) www.ARRT.org
Go to a program that is accredited by the Joint Commission on Education in Radiologic Technology (go to www.JRCERT.org for a list). Ask the program director what percentage of grads pass their national registry exam on the first attempt. If it is an excellent school that answer should be in the 85-100 percent. Also ask what their attrition rate is. The national average was approximately 18% a few years back. Do what you love and love what you do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Taotechadf in Santa Cruz, California

54 months ago

Hello Mary in Santa Cruz, i graduated a year and half ago from a very good school (fully accredited). I also live in Santa Cruz but cannot find a job in the field to save my life. Do you have any advice? Its gotten to the point where im almost ready to let my license expire and move on with my life. Im just not sure, that if it takes two more years for the market to change if any company will even consider hiring me if I havnt taken xrays in almost four years!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

The more you apply and pound the pavement, the more likely you can break into a job. When was the last time you applied for an imaging position?
I know you are discouraged but you HAVE TO keep applying.
Since it has been so long since you have taken an x-ray, your strategy for a job is not the same as a recent grad.
I suggest you try urgent care centers like Doctors on duty that have x-ray services. Yes the salary is lower but the experience is worth more! If you do not have your CA fluoroscopy permit you likely would not be hired at a full service hospital.
There are several mobile companies that you can try-search and research them and apply. Even in the San Jose area. Yes, you have to travel but this first job is more important than the inconvenience of commuting.
Did you make connections during your clinical education? Call on those people again-see what they can do! (When you are in clinical as a student the connections you make do more for potential employment than anything else). I would try applying at large chiropractic practices as well. These are often overlooked in job searches. Because of the length of time since you practiced radiography-you might want to at least get employment as a clerk or transporter to stay close to hospital work. If you are not able to impress your employer with your efforts at that level-why would they hire you for a higher level job? Impress them and doors will open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffani in Yucaipa, California

54 months ago

I am applying to a couple Rad Tech programs this year. I have a few questions:

First- @Radsticker from Norco, why did you say to apply to Chaffey as a last resort? This is one of the programs that I am applying to.

Second- I am also applying to the program through Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, any thoughts or advice about this program?

Third- Don't you guys think that in 2 years the job market will pick up? It can't stay this way forever right?

TA i in Humble, Texas

54 months ago

You are exactly right, I graduated with an associates degree in Rad Tech in May 2010 and the rad techs that trained us were some of the meanest Ive met,it was a nightmare. I thi
heir goal is to make you quit.

changeofheart said: that is the problem right now. too many schools flooding the occupation b/c they want money. now we all cant find jobs and the tech we train with are meanies. anyhow, you can specialize in modalities...CT, MRI, Mammo, teach...and a few more. if you wish you can "go up the ladder"and do ultrasound, nuc med, or rad therp.

Duelin' in Titusville, Florida

54 months ago

charzar in Painesville, Ohio said: I am a recruiter and I'd advise you to focus on CathLab/specials. Lots of jobs across the USA for them.

YEAH, THE CALL IS OUTRAGEOUS, AND CARDIOLOGIST'S ARE NOTORIOUS JERKS AND THAT IS WHY THERE ARE JOBS. TO SAVE MONEY HOSPITALS ARE COMBINING SPECIALS AND CATH LAB, SO LEARN BOTH LABS IN ABOUT 90 DAYS AND GET YOURSELF ON CALL.

IPSDangel in Miami, Florida

54 months ago

I live in Miami,FL and I work in health care and YES! it is extremely rewarding but, just and stated that there is no jobs for Radiologic technologist, there are NO jobs for nurses. Every 5 minutes there's a AD on TV for the high demand of nurses and other health care professionals but there are NO JOBS. There are hundreds of professionals and fresh out of school students applying to hospitals and outpatient facilities not being hired due to the "market-flood" any job in health care is hard to find at this moment with or without experience. This is being seen from nurses to fire fighters. You just have to do what you enjoy doing, what makes you happy not look for where the money lies.

Bill in Stuart, Florida

54 months ago

RT jobs are few and far between. Schools are cranking anyone that can pay tuition and most get student loans so they qualify for the program. In South Florida the schools are "puppy mills" Keiser is currently under investigation by the State Attorney General office for misleading students. Everything they told me is a lie, as no jobs are available. Furthermore state regulation authorities could care less about practices, let alone enforcement, and the ARRT is doing nothing to safeguard RT's positions or enforcement. But you still have to pay licensing fees to keep your registration valid. Also, one would think a medical background or additional education would be helpful. It is not, in fact its a detriment. A facility can hire an out of school graduate with no experience and ability for 12/hr. They could care less about patient care and safety. Perhaps its Florida, but I am hearing the same thing from techs in other states as well.

Manda in Saint Paul, Minnesota

54 months ago

Tiffani in Yucaipa, California said: I am applying to a couple Rad Tech programs this year. I have a few questions:

First- @Radsticker from Norco, why did you say to apply to Chaffey as a last resort? This is one of the programs that I am applying to.

Second- I am also applying to the program through Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, any thoughts or advice about this program?

Third- Don't you guys think that in 2 years the job market will pick up? It can't stay this way forever right?

I'm currently a new grad looking for an RT job in Minnesota, I graduated from a JCERT accredited school in FL. I talked to a few recruiters today and they all basically said the market is so flooded that sr. rt's are willing to relocate and work for new grad pay so pretty much new grads aren't getting jobs. A few of the recruiters advised the market has been like this for rt's for the past 5+ years and it will pick up...but not anytime soon

Denise in Youngstown, Ohio

54 months ago

Manda in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I'm currently a new grad looking for an RT job in Minnesota, I graduated from a JCERT accredited school in FL. I talked to a few recruiters today and they all basically said the market is so flooded that sr. rt's are willing to relocate and work for new grad pay so pretty much new grads aren't getting jobs. A few of the recruiters advised the market has been like this for rt's for the past 5+ years and it will pick up...but not anytime soon

Manda,
I graduated in May 2010 and agree that the job market is most definitely flooded. I have applied for positions online for different hospitals, clinics, and mobile companies and have not even been called for an interview. My best advice to you would be to actually go to different places that are not posting positions and give them your resume. Go to places other than hospitals, such as foot doctors, chiropractors, orthopedics, or urgent cares. I hand delivered my resume to a surgery center and they hired me as a per diem that day because they needed someone. It is frustrating that employers want techs with experience even for per diem positions yet no one is willing to give you the experience. Unfortunately for new grads like us, we have to take any experience we can get. Once you get your foot in the door, other doors will start to open! Good luck to you! I hope you find something soon! :) Try to stay positive! It will happen eventually!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anna in Portland, Oregon

54 months ago

Xrayz in Charlottesville, Virginia said: I read here with much interest some saying you can just go in Hospitals, Clinics etc. and talk to somebody about an X-Ray job. Not here I can assure you. Human Resources has very effectively built a wall around themselves. The ONLY way to apply is to send Application, Cover Letter and Resume online. The Application is basically handtyping what is already detailed in the Resume. They will not take any phone calls, no personal interaction whatsover. Sign of the times? There has only been 3 (three) X-Ray jobs posted here in over 7 months. I have applied for all 3. Not only did I not get a call about an interview, I did not even get a reponse to follow-up e-mails I sent thanking the employer for considering me for the position. How long does it take to click "Reply" and type "OK"? A short response from them would have been fantastic but an "OK" would have at least let me know they looked at my application.

you cant always rely on the internet for a job. you need to go in person and apply. or even check at alocal hosttal and clnics it really hard to apply for jobs on here because thousands of people are looking on here.

Xrayz in Charlottesville, Virginia

54 months ago

anna in Portland, Oregon said: you cant always rely on the internet for a job. you need to go in person and apply. or even check at alocal hosttal and clnics it really hard to apply for jobs on here because thousands of people are looking on here.

I disagree. Try actually going to any Healthcare facility and talk to HR about a Rad Tech job. They will not talk to you. HR will only accept online Applications, Cover Letters and Resumes behind closed doors and within their little world here in VA. I have sent many Applications and followed up the same or next day with a "Thank You for considering me" e-mail. I have yet to receive a reply from even the Thank You. How long does it take to hit "Reply" and "K" At least I know they saw it even if they didn't want to tell me I am not a good fit or the position is filled. Now if I want to apply for a 7-11 store cashier walking in to talk with someone is a reality. I speak from my personal experience over many months. The Urgent Cares and Chiros here are hiring MA's with Limited Scope for $10-12/hr. They do everything in the office front and back. Hospitals are cutting staff and freezing hires.

Xrayz in Charlottesville, Virginia

54 months ago

Sorry, didn't mean to post the same thing twice. Guess not a lot has changed since January?

Mack23 in Allentown, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

Where I live there is a bunch of jobs available just on sites lime career builders.com etc. There is also only 2 programs within a 50 mile radius that offer radiography. Both programs only accept a max 20 students yearly and have 95% or more job placement. Really it depends on the area. We have a lot of hospitals around and to move into radiation therapy there are tons of places nearby with less people planning on continuing their education. I will start in the summer for an associates degree and afterwards go through a one year cert program to be a radiation therapist. Really it's unfortunate that people on here are so negative. Maybe I will find the same problem when I graduate but it sounds like a good job with a ton of opportunity for growth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I agree with you- the job situation is VERY regional and state by state.
I have to remind myself that the loudest voices on this forum are either those of the discontent or of those regions that are more severely affected by the economy.
If you are determined and are persistent, things will work out! Yes, it will take longer. No x-ray jobs? Then learn bone densitometry, EKGs or phlebotomy do something to keep you in health care until x-ray jobs open up.

deebabyy218 in Orlando, Florida

53 months ago

Hello, I have just been accepted in the Radiography program at Florida Hospital college. Any pointers? Or is there good job opportunities here in Orlando?

twenclewicz in Clarksville, Tennessee

52 months ago

I live right outside of Nashville, TN. I am considering going into the Radiology Program @ Columbia State. Has anyone heard anything bad about that program? What about the job market in this area? The program states that the last few years they have had 100% job placement including students that continue their education. Also does anyone know how much rad techs start out with in this area? Hard to find on the internet.. Too broad of a range on some websites. Tiffany

RL in Fayetteville, North Carolina

51 months ago

thinking of rad tech. in Arlington, Texas said: Hi, i am thinking about getting an associates in radiology technology and I was wondering what a person who is actually in the field, what they say the jobs I could do are. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and I have heard there are way too many x-ray techs around here, so i want to be sure I will be able to do more than just x-ray. Thanks for any help.

These schools are/and have FLOODED the market with graduates who can not find jobs. I am one of them.

Joseph in Chino Hills, California

51 months ago

I'm currently on the wait list for Rad Tech at Mt.Sac in Walnut, CA. I just applied last summer, 2010, so I got a looong way to go - 3 year wait list, plus 2 years to finish the program once I get in. In other words, it will be 5 years [or more] by the time I get fully licensed with ARRT.

So my question is, do any of you RTs think the job market/economy will be better by then?

On a side note, I'm currently an MRI Technologist.........
working at a crap out patient imaging facility. Business is slow because, like I said, they're crap! I'm stuck with only part time to on call hours because, like I said, business is slow because they're crap! I only stick with this job for the experience, but right now I can't find a better job in MRI because........

I have this BS license called the ARMRIT. I want to work at a hospital to do MRI, where there's f/t work and job security, but they won't accept ARMRIT because it's.......crap! I'm in dire need of the ARRT license, but with all the "no RT jobs" throughout this thread, I'm gettin' scared...........

So again, will the RT job market be better in 5 plus years? Or should I tell Mt.Sac college, now, to take me off their wait list? I probably won't do that btw, I'll probably wait the 3 years until they send me the "acceptance letter", then I'll decide to get in the program or decline it, depending on the current market of course. So, what do you all think? Will the market get better, eventually? I'm considering other career options btw, but since its a 3 year wait to get in Mt.Sac, I'm still leaving Rad Tech open as an option.

Thanks in advance, God bless us all.

kathy in Jefferson City, Missouri

51 months ago

Well Better think of an internship in CT or MRI, Otherwise go back to school for something else, nursing, physical or occupational therapy. The job market is crap for x-ray.

ama in Everett, Massachusetts

51 months ago

To be fair all of the job markets out there suck because the economy suck, so dont expect to get a job straight out college. it well probably take 6months to a year even for nurses. I suggest getting internships or jobs as a cna,pct, medical assist just to gain experience. As for rad tech, i wouldn't advise doing it because theres usually a two-3 year waiting list then theres the two years that are required to finish the program thats a total of four to five years, at which point you could have been done with ur bachelor's and working or just finishing up a bachelor's degree.but instead u realize u have spent five years in order to acquire an associate in afield in which the job market is flooded. Just do something else thats wat i did.i I realised that i have already wasted a year and i dont feel like wasting another year or two just to get a stinking associate degree thats probably gonna be useless because the field is two flooded. So i just took the prereqs that i did put them towards another major and i will be done in august or december of 2012 depending on how things go.then im gonna transfer get my bachelors in ill be done in 2014.the same time as i would be done with my associates in rad tech. also people are saying that the healthcare field is the best field to get into, thats most likely true but dont do nursing by the time ur done with nursing school the field is going to be just as flooded as rad tech. 1 out of every 5 women are nurses if u gathered a group of women and asked them wat they do most of them would say nursing. all the women in my family are nurses. just thought i share this with u guys, i know i wrote too much. just trying to help out.

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

51 months ago

Joseph find a new profession. Things may, may get better, but the odds are they won't. You're taking a big risk here. Forewarned is forearmed. Do some additional research. Ask the tough questions. Talk to techs who are currently working in the field and not the schools.

Catherina Martin in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

rachelsweeney in Burlington, Massachusetts said: I am enrolling into a radiology program next year, what are some of the radiology techs responsibilities? and what if i want to be a mri tech...what do i have to do?

Hey Taylor, Enrolling into Radiology is really a good career option because here you will come across with advanced technologies dealing with imaging to help diagnose and treat patients. To know the work and responsibilities of the radiology technicians in its day-to-day life, you can go through the link : onlineradiologytechnicianschools.com/what-kind-of-work-does-a-radiology-tech-do-day-to-day/ that provides all relevant info.
Internet is full of informations. For more details like the kind of careers to be choosen, the average salary and the work schedule of a Radiology technician, you can refer: onlineradiologytechnicianschools.com/what-kind-of-careers-can-a-radiology-tech-get-into/

For more information, you can email me catherina.martin@gmail.com.

Thank You,

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

51 months ago

ama, nurses aren't waiting 6 months to get a job. The market is tougher for nursing than it used to be they still are able to find a job before they graduate. There are way more nursing jobs out there so it is hard for any facility to be fully staffed. The specific problems with radiology have very little to do with economy. There are far to many schools graduating far to many students. Also, because of healthcare reform, reimbursements are starting to decline meaning there are fewer x-rays, CTs, MRIs, etc being ordered by physicians.

50 months ago

Calyn, radiology technologists should not be diagnosing anything.

Dubsy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

ERMM.... I hope that you aren't trolling Calyn. Nothing that you said is correct, we don't diagnose. I have NEVER taken a prenatal x-ray, closest thing would be pelvimetry after birth. Also we are not radiologists, they are doctors NOT R.T.s. Also rural doctors usually call in actual R.T.s every so many months, refer their patients to hospitals or have unqualified secretaries take films. So much is wrong with what you said I almost laughed. EPIC FAIL

Dubsy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

sorry, hysterosalpinogram maybe what you mean by prenatal, rare and useless study to test for opacity of the the actual philopian ducts.

D in Columbia, Maryland

50 months ago

Hysterosalpinogram is far from useless. Its one of the first steps in diagnosing possible infertility problems.

brightongal1 in Orlando, Florida

50 months ago

I am finding that the field is inendated. an idea would be to go into a specialized field. CT<MR or NUC Med

jmartins in null

50 months ago

Its nice post provides detailed information on topic also provide more data relatedto topic.

50 months ago

Calyn Brown in Chicago said: Hey Drones,
You are right. They can’t make diagnosis formally but they should have a good knowledge about reading and interpreting images. They have to produce better images and for that they have to understand the images at least. By this doctor’s will get help in diagnosing. Even they have to sometimes console the patients also by seeing the images.

Of course technologists should have an idea at what they are looking at for QC purpose. There is nothing wrong with pointing out to the Radiologist or referring MD if there appears to be something suspicious.

aleys in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Hi,
I am an European Radiologic Technologist and got the degree in radiologic Science in my country. My course included non only radiography but also CT, MRI, nuclear medicine and Radiotherapy and is a three year course from a University with a good reputation and accredited in my country.

I would like to look for a job here in the area with my academic title but I have seen that job advertisements posted on the internet always require:

- to be graduate of an accredited program for Radiographers,
- ARRT Certification
- Current state licensure or permit to practice medical imagining

What does it mean "accreditated programm"? Does it just refer to the list of school on the JRCERT and the ARRT web site?

Also the ARRT, in order to get their certification, put among their requirements "to be graduated from an accredited program".

Like this it looks like I can't use my degree in any way, unless I go back to University which, of course I would requires years of study again...

I have looked on the internet and seen that, apart from 3 accredited Rad school in my area, the others (and there are many) are not the ARRT list. What I can't guess is where people attending those schools (not accredited and then not allowing them to get the ARRT certification - exactly like me ) WORK? maybe in small centers not asking for all those requirements...and maybe they could also consider me! Is that right?

Do you have any suggestion for me? any information that can help?

Sorry to have made it so long and complicated but I am new in this country, unfamiliar with law and regulations and don't know many people.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Aleys

Dana in Columbia, Maryland

49 months ago

I would suggest contacting the AART and seeing what international requirements they require. They are the licensing board for all US techs. Good luck in your search.

49 months ago

You must also meet state requirements as well as ARRT.

Since you did not say what state you are in-if California-you must meet their requirements as well.
Hospitals must meet Joint Commission requirements which require ARRT certification. Out patient imaging centers or offices can hire on the basis of the state licensing only. So it is possible that (for instance in California) you may be able to practice MRI without an ARRT license in those out patient facilities. However, your choices are limited that way.

I would suggest making an appointment with a counselor at a local community college that offers Radiologic technology and ask for equivalent college credit based on your European transcripts and see if you receive significant credits-this way you may only have a few classes to make up.(hopefully).

AshMarie in Leawood, Kansas

49 months ago

I'm a recent graduate from a 2 year Rad program and I am STRUGGLING to find employment in this field. I understand that finding any job right now is a struggle but X-ray just isn't a good field to go into right now. I've seen a lot of employers seeking Respiratory Therapists so I would recommend you all looking into this field of healthcare, that is, if you don't want to consider nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.