No jobs for ARRT CERTIFIED

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 158)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Lehart in Clearwater, Florida

79 months ago

I have been having the same problem, I live in Clearwater and I have my ARRT cert. and state license and have been looking since May of last year. I apply for everything, I keep getting turned down. I'm thinking that I might have to move if this keeps up. Good luck Mauricio !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAllie in Lawrenceville, Georgia

76 months ago

I graduated in mid 08 in so. fl. Talk about NO jobs!!! After 5 months and absolutely nothing I had to leave everything and so I moved up to Atlanta GA where I had a friend and well a month later I found a full time job and just recently a PRN job as well. I thank my lucky stars everyday!
Had to sacrifice my boyfriend, friends, and the only place Ive ever lived, but, the best decision I ever made. Your gonna have to move. If I can do it....anyone can.
Well good luck in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

eric in Wilmington, North Carolina

74 months ago

I think the ARRT and the colleges are partly to blame. it all about money to them. not patient care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

magid mikheel in Clearwater Beach, Florida

72 months ago

I have been having The same problem

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

warning in Cleveland, Ohio

72 months ago

The truth is there is nothing. You have to get insanely lucky. That's it. This field has been ruined and recovery isn't coming anytime soon if ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki Ryan in Durham, North Carolina

72 months ago

Listen, Florida economy sucks! I lived there for 15 years and I was RT tech ; however, every state is like that. Souh and North Carolina sucks too......is the USA economy. I am at the Physician Assistant Program. I have been medical field for almost 20 years and everything sucks. I start as medical assistant then went to school got my paramedic license and got my RT license and now I am getttin PA school. I have to tell u nothing is easy anymore. I sacrificed so much to be here I am right now. NC is a horrible state to live in and I miss Fl so much but no jobs in Fl. The snowbirds are not coming down. I am moving out of here as soon as I graduate. All the paramedics here are hungry , lay offs everyday and all the RT too. I love the healthcare but even RNs here are having hard time, they aren;t hiring much and where I live is so many qualified people.All the people here has PHDs and it is so hard to find work anywhere. We need to pray and be poistive for this economy to change and not only the medical fiels is feeling but everyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

72 months ago

From your mouth to G-ds ears! Where will you move to Nikki?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Durham, North Carolina

72 months ago

Well, I have been reasearching. I am graduating from Duke University one of the best in the country and I will probably be working at state prison OMG serious job security....I am grad in dec. and I am applying for jobs. I am serious thinking to move to California.
As soon economy gets better I am gng back to Florida. I still have a house in Naples.I went there two months ago and I was in shock. I ghost town! Fort Myers-Naples-Tampa really bad...
SO Sad...NC is horrible for medical field cause they have too many qualified individuals here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paxton in Scottsdale, Arizona

72 months ago

It isn't much better here in Arizona, or California either for that matter. And don't think it's only affecting RT's, pretty much the entire allied health field is going through the same problem.

The problem is that, because allied health pays relatively well considering most jobs can be got with only an associates degree, it attracts so many people looking to make a decent living without years and years of school. But now, so many people have flooded the market, that it is becoming more and more difficult for a new grad or even someone with a year experience to find a job.

I went to RT school a couple years ago (after being on a waiting list for over a year just to get in the program) and struggled to find a job when I graduated. I finally found one and of course, soon after the economy tanked and the hospital had to lay off techs. Being one of the new hires I was first let go. I haven't been able to find another RT job since. Most hospitals want years experience yet there's no way for a new grad to get that experience.

Then I decided to try Pharmacy Tech since there's practically a pharmacy on every corner these days. I graduated top of my class and got my PTCB certification first try, and couldn't even get an interview. Then I learned that most commercial pharmacies actually prefer to hire non-certified techs, because they can pay them less while they train them. Wish I would've known that before I spent close to a thousand $$$ on the darned pharmacy tech class.

I was considering nursing, because that's pretty much the only allied health field not yet flooded (and believe me, it will get flooded too once more schools increase their class sizes), but it seems like the least desirable job, at least for me. So I'm either going ahead and get my bachelor's and then try to get into some type of Physician's Assistant or Pharmacist program, or give up on working the medical field altogether and go back to a business or computer area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Tucson, Arizona

71 months ago

I agree with you and feel for you Paxton. I grauated 5 months ago with a 3.75 average and a 94 on the ARRT exam. None of that seems to matter to these hospitals. To further add to your comments about them wanting a couple yrs experience, I also notice a lot of disrimination with these hospitals. I am a 47 yr old male and that is undesirable to them. Ive seen recent graduates around here get hired as RT's only if tey are 23 and cute, regardless of thier lack of experience. I am frustrated like you and I am in an online program to get my bachelors in imaging technology. I don't know how that will help me but, when I complete it in 2 yrs we'll see how thae market is. But, I suspect i'll face the same disrimination out there. In the mean time, I am working one day a week as a mobile xray tech working for some nursing homes. Good luck to you. Daryll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

71 months ago

I'm 52, male and I can sympathize. Look at it this way , we look like we have a lot of experience. Market yourself in that fashion. IE: Patients prefer to be in the hands of a more capable / older / experienced / individual . It enhances thier trust in us and our ability. It lends towards better cooperation, communication, and invariably fewer, and better images.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daryll

71 months ago

Thanks, Yes my self esteem could use a boost. Im just pissed after 3 yrs of school seems to be wasted. This field is awful as far as opportunities, and the teachers didn't prepare us for that, but I don't blame them as they taught us well.

Daryll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TILYA in Simpsonville, South Carolina

71 months ago

THE JOB MARKET IN SC IS AWFUL.. I WAS AQ LIMITED TECH FOR 2 YEARS AND WAS WORKING AS A LTD TECH.. THEN I RETURNED TO SCHOOL TO COMPLETE MY ASSOCIATES DEGREE.. IVE RECENTLY FOUND A JOB AT A FAMILY PRACTICE OFFICE HOWEVER THE PAY IS LESS THAN I WAS MAKING AS A LTD TECH. I FELL LIKE I WENT INTO DEBT AND BACK TO SCHOOL FOR NOTHING..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Reno, Nevada

70 months ago

There are several in my graduating class of 16 Aug 2009 who are struggling with finding a full time Rad Tech position in Northern NV. I'm living off my small amount of Thrift Fund money and am looking for something in other states. My property value dipped drastically and may have to rent out my house and find a place for my dog. I have a degree in Biochemistry and haven't been able to find anything in research or analytical chemistry in this area either. Not to give up- something will come around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lggaines in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

Mauricio Silva in Miami, Florida said: I have been looking for a job for several months now it seems no one wants a fresh rad tech right out of college with only one year as a radiogrpher. What can I do please?

I have noticed that Kaiser is now chopping up slot position (8-1 and 2-5) shifts so that benefits can be deleted. You might want to look into those openings. I also have over thirty years in and can't find work. I found out that if you work for agencies and they send you to sites the contracts between the agency and the facility states that you can not work at that site for six months to a year if a part time or full time position opens. Please keep this in mind when you go for the quick higher salary of the agencies!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathie in Holland, Michigan

69 months ago

I graduated in June of 09 and only half of my class has found jobs as techs. I am not one of the lucky ones who found a job. I am a single parent and thought going back to school was the answer. I guess I was wrong. I have applied every where even out of state. I can't even get an interview. I guess it is who you know not what you know. I keep hearing on the news " go into health care" and they don't even realize that it isn't the answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ms9383 in Raleigh, North Carolina

69 months ago

I am surprised to be reading all of your comments. I have a bachelor's degree in communications, was laid off due to the economy in June, and have had only two interviews since then. I really feel I wasted four years of my life for a useless degree. I've been considering going back to school and becoming a radiologic technologist for several reasons. I'm shocked to find out how you all have been struggling to find work also. Do you all think it's the economy or the field is just becoming overcrowded?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nike_sanni@yahoo.com in Lawrenceville, Georgia

69 months ago

ms9383 in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am surprised to be reading all of your comments. I have a bachelor's degree in communications, was laid off due to the economy in June, and have had only two interviews since then. I really feel I wasted four years of my life for a useless degree. I've been considering going back to school and becoming a radiologic technologist for several reasons. I'm shocked to find out how you all have been struggling to find work also. Do you all think it's the economy or the field is just becoming overcrowded?

Its very sad, I have been out of school for about 2 years now. I don't really think its the ecomony, I think the market is overcrowded and also the technology has taken the role of rad techs. Since I couldn't find a job, i am back in school for nursing and I am sure there will be job for me when I graduate. Its very frustrating. I will advise you to look into respiratory therapy, there are lots of jobs out there for them and the demand is increasing everyday. If you decide to to rad tech, make sure you get a job while in school Take care and goodluck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in california in Fairfield, California

69 months ago

I also have tales of wow i passed my boards 2 weeks ago and have filled out 30 hospital applications since then most i just get the automatic no sorry we want some paid experience seems like there's jobs avail for those with experience but just getting started is the hard part. I dot get it really if I was an HR or manager type I would totally consider the new grad as we are trainable and hungry just to work. hell i cant even get unemployment here i california due to being out of work for the 2 year school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nike_sanni@yahoo.com in Lawrenceville, Georgia

69 months ago

I know how you feel. Its very frustrating to go to school for more than 2 years (program + prerequisite) in heathcare and couldn't get a job after graduation. Same thing happened to me, I was the only one in my class whom couldn't find a job. I have been out of work for 6 years, I am back in nursing school and hope to graduate in 2 years. I think you can start thinking about going into another modality e.g CT,MRI or ultrasound. The market is overcrowded of RT due to the technology I believe. Goodluck in your career. I still anticipate to find an RT job because I dont want all the stress I went through while in school end up in vain. Goodluck and all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan Underhill in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

My wife volunteers here at a local hospital. She was talking with someone in the HR department who is a friend of hers about RT since I am working on my pre-reqs for it right now. She said that as far as she can see, there IS a demand for RT in this hospital and other local ones. She even said, as an HR person, that she would prefer to hire older (40s) RTs because they are more mature and typically are more serious about their work than people in their 20s. I was also reading a book at Barnes/Noble called the 100 hottest careers for the future, and it listed RT in the top 20, forecasting that job demand in this area and all modalities will grow strong at least through 2016. One, of many reasons being cited is that new technologies are evolving that will yield more equipment in the field and more RTs to run it, plus the cost of the equipment is expected to decrease and so more doctors and other related offices will be able to afford it.

But overall she was saying that everything is cyclical. RT jobs and the demand for the field is not going to just evaporate like vinyl records. If anything, at this point it might take 2-4 years for demand to pick back up again. I'll be out in 4 years after studying for MRI and CT and so I'm encouraged that by then the job market will have changed again for RT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JohnnieDavid in Central Oregon, Oregon

69 months ago

Dan, I have noticed a small number of openings around the Portland area, and have submitted my applications. I just graduated from OIT in June. I've been applying like a mad-man lately! I do wish you the best of luck with the program!
Any more insider info on the local market?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Spring Hill, Florida

68 months ago

Lehart in Clearwater, Florida said: I have been having the same problem, I live in Clearwater and I have my ARRT cert. and state license and have been looking since May of last year. I apply for everything, I keep getting turned down. I'm thinking that I might have to move if this keeps up. Good luck Mauricio !

I have the same problem going on where I live. I am in Hernando County. I am a graduate...recently. People want work experience in the field....clinical time does not count for anything. Meanwhile, my bills are flooding in. We are in the same boat! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Crookston, Minnesota

67 months ago

The job market is flooded no matter where you go. I thought it was just a problem in the midwest...but apparently it is nationwide. I have seen all the job forecasts saying the field is going to be soo great, but it is bull. I have been a tech for 4 years and recently my position got cut to a flex position due to the economy and I can't find a job anywhere. It is not just new graduates having troubles, trust me. I have been job searching nationwide and get all the same generic sorry letters as the rest of you!! I absolutely love my job, but would not recommend any new students to go into the field due to the job market. We had a class of 16 graduate in August 2009 and only 2 have found jobs so far. Not looking like the brightest future for us RTs. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Round Rock, Texas

59 months ago

So it has been 8 months since the last post so I will light this up again. Im like thinking of pursuing a career in radiology and like most scouring info on a radiology career has been discouraging.

One thing i have noticed is know one mentions the specifics. I have heard from professionals that there are jobs and there aren't. So for anyone who can give me some insight into why I should not pursue a career in this field it would be great to have a few of these questions answered.

Are you a recent grad that has found a job?

What school did you graduate from? What was your GPA? Any other degrees?

Are you committed to work only in a specific are/specific wage within reason?(do you have a family, wife, mortgage).

Regarding previous degrees and GPA from the perspective of a potential employer in a now competitive job field wouldn't they only want the cream of the crop? Why would they pick someone who barley got by on 2.5 average than someone who got a 4.0? One could argue budget cuts leads them to only hire people who will accept lower pay and that the job itself is simple enough that even a less than ideal candidate could do it. I don't believe that to be true and would think employers would want someone who is interested in moving further in their career either laterally or vertically and who has a track record of bettering themselves through education.

I guess to me it seems like some people woke up one morning heard about the medical field shortages THEN heard about the money. They were driven by the potential income but really had no desire in the nature of the work. To them just another job. They were promised the world and would not accept anything less.

I just want to know if someone really loves this work and works their ass off for it will they find work. 1,300 entry jobs in my last search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

babysteppeon in Lynchburg, Virginia

58 months ago

I recently moved to Lynchburg, VA and have been looking for employment for 3 months. I graduated in May 2007 and was lucky to get a Rad Tech job at an orthopedic office in Wyoming. I have 3 years experice with MRI and have my registry in mammography. You would think it would be easy for me to find a job. Hopefully the ecomony will shape up or schools will put less students through their radiology programs.

Mark Frazer in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

If you are thinking of going to x-ray school, or have enrolled but haven't started yet, it's not too late. Run, very fast, in the opposite direction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Spring Hill, Florida

58 months ago

DLS57 in Venice, Florida said: I'm 52, male and I can sympathize. Look at it this way , we look like we have a lot of experience. Market yourself in that fashion. IE: Patients prefer to be in the hands of a more capable / older / experienced / individual . It enhances thier trust in us and our ability. It lends towards better cooperation, communication, and invariably fewer, and better images.

I am having trouble finding employment...are you empoloyed? I am licensed as a BXMO since last Dec...cannot find work. Where do I start again? I have hand delivered my resume to all the clinics!

CodeWall in Loxahatchee, Florida

58 months ago

wow, Rad Techs are really getting demolished. Hope this end soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rohkotsi in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

Thought I would give my 2 cents. So, here it is.

My last day of clinic was at the end of June. I took the registry a few days later. Got a 92. The second I got my ARRT Certificate. I made a copy of it and sent it along with other documents to Florida DOH. I am licensed in two states now. I've been applying more to South East, FL than to NY. The reason is...there is nothing here. We have three hospitals that closed in the past year and a half. Those hospitals were union based. So, now, all the other hospitals under the union reserve any open spots for the techs from the hospitals that closed. We have 10 schools in NYC here. Thats 500 students in one shot graduating in June. 8 out of 48 of us that graduated got a job. 2 got a job in another state. 4 got lucky because they worked in the radiology department of a hospital. the other two got a job at their clinic site.

All Florida positions I have applied to have sent me nothing but rejection letters. I'm actually going there in december to deliver in person resumes. Hoping to stand out. To be honest, I have never been to South East FLorida. This is what we have to do now. I agree with what someone else said...3 years down the drain.

I dont think this is as cyclical as the issue techs had years ago. As far as nursing, every place I look at in florida not only needs nurses but is hiring them with pretty large bonuses!! Its crazy.

We'll see what happens to us. Good Luck all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dylane in Altamonte Springs, Florida

57 months ago

rohkotsi in Brooklyn, New York said: Thought I would give my 2 cents. So, here it is.

My last day of clinic was at the end of June. I took the registry a few days later. Got a 92. The second I got my ARRT Certificate. I made a copy of it and sent it along with other documents to Florida DOH. I am licensed in two states now. I've been applying more to South East, FL than to NY. The reason is...there is nothing here. We have three hospitals that closed in the past year and a half. Those hospitals were union based. So, now, all the other hospitals under the union reserve any open spots for the techs from the hospitals that closed. We have 10 schools in NYC here. Thats 500 students in one shot graduating in June. 8 out of 48 of us that graduated got a job. 2 got a job in another state. 4 got lucky because they worked in the radiology department of a hospital. the other two got a job at their clinic site.

All Florida positions I have applied to have sent me nothing but rejection letters. I'm actually going there in december to deliver in person resumes. Hoping to stand out. To be honest, I have never been to South East FLorida. This is what we have to do now. I agree with what someone else said...3 years down the drain.

I dont think this is as cyclical as the issue techs had years ago. As far as nursing, every place I look at in florida not only needs nurses but is hiring them with pretty large bonuses!! Its crazy.

We'll see what happens to us. Good Luck all!

It is so flooded in FL, I have been looking since April. Bad move girl!!!

lisambab in Spring Hill, Florida

57 months ago

Will someone please explain ARRT certification to me! Is it something we need to pay for? I have the state license. I am finding some people want you to have the ARRT certification as well. How do you get it? Please help!!!

D F in Baltimore, Maryland

57 months ago

lisambab in Spring Hill, Florida said: Will someone please explain ARRT certification to me! Is it something we need to pay for? I have the state license. I am finding some people want you to have the ARRT certification as well. How do you get it? Please help!!!

When you took the ARRT exam, you should have gotten your certificate. Here, you can't ger a state license without taking the ARRT exam.

HeatherRT in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

I am in the same position as everyone who has posted, I am in Houston Texas, which has hospitals and clinics on every corner and I have expanded my job search nation wide. It has been a year and a half and nothing, I keep getting rejection emails, and I literally want to jump through the screen and scream WHHHHHYYYYYY?? I am in my last semester for MRI Training and counting on that to help me land a job, but after about 6 months I am going to consider a career change. Unfortunately everything now days is based on an electronic application, I feel if one simple thing on my application is not read or rejected by the system that selects the canidates than i am automatically thrown out. I am beyond frustrated with the entire situation. I am eventually going ot get hungry, and money to buy food would be nice.

If you are seeking jobs in houston texas, good luck.
I am open to relocating to anyplace that will take me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Decatur, Georgia

55 months ago

You have to attend an accredited radiology technology school for 2 yrs before you are eligible to take the ARRT exam. Thats how u get certified and get much higher pay. If I were u I wouldnt even waste time with that because Florida is already flooded with ARRT certified x-ray techs that cant find a job. Sounds like u have a basic x-ray license which in Florida anybody can get with no education. That doesnt really help the radiology technology profession so I'm against that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

52 months ago

Greg in Round Rock, Texas said: 1,300 entry jobs in my last search.

gregg, I am not a recent grad. I worked in the field for over 20yrs and started making my move to change careers about 4yrs. What's been going on in radiology has been a long time coming, almost 10yrs.

The school any tech graduated as well as their GPA is irrelevant. Employers only care if you are ARRT certified. If you believe others why then you have either A.) been lied to, or B.)are fooling yourself.

What I can tell you is from personal first hand experience, and my observations.
A new hospital recently opened up and there were over 250 applications for just 25 jobs in all of radiology. That is diagnostic, CT, MRI, Nuc Med, US, and IR. It was like a feeding frenzy. Before I left my job there were over 15 applicants for just 1 PRN position. They did not hire a new full time tech to fill my position but instead it was absorbed.

I sacrificed for 3yrs to change my career and it was the best move I ever made. I was even able to take advantage of tuition reimbursement by my former employer. The irony of this seemed to be lost on my former employer. I landed a new job before I even graduated. Entry level pay for this position was better than what I made as a technologist, with over 20yrs experience and 18yrs at the same facility.

gregg, could you provide a link to the 1300 job listings?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RADTECH1900 in Nashville, Tennessee

52 months ago

lisambab in Spring Hill, Florida said: Will someone please explain ARRT certification to me! Is it something we need to pay for? I have the state license. I am finding some people want you to have the ARRT certification as well. How do you get it? Please help!!!

I would not go into this field today, the organizations are nothing but snakes. They will change there promise and make it law without a word to you. This field is going downhill. I have a friend, I went to school with that has 20yrs experience in a level 1 trauma center in portland OR. Awesome guy and tech. He has only had a state license he never took the ARRT , because he took a job and then missed there 5 yr window. Now the state of oregon will not let him renew his state license after they gave him one over 10 yrs ago.The state is tottally screwing him. The Arrt is whats wrong with the profession and the states that follow them. They would rather put someone on unemployment then granfather them in. its all about money$$ the ARRT and states that follow them are nothing but a joke.Not a damm thing they do helps radiology,they hurt it. and i have been a member with them since i graduated in 1990. Stay away from Oregon, the state imaging people are IDIOTS from what i heard.
I have had no problems in Tenn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Stone Mountain, Georgia

52 months ago

Drones,what field have you gone into? Are you still in the medical field? Just curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Stone Mountain, Georgia

52 months ago

Radtech1900, this is exactly why us professional Rad Techs need to start a union of our own. There are x-ray techs out there that actually know what they are doing that may not be ARRT certified. These people are probably smarter than the ones that are ARRT certified. A national certification exam doesnt really prove how intelligent someone is. Some people just suffer from test anxiety but probably are very smart. If we as Rad Techs could start our own union, we can set our own rules which would eventually protect the profession as a whole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

52 months ago

taurus20red in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: Drones,what field have you gone into? Are you still in the medical field? Just curious.

taurus I am no longer in the medical field. I moved into the world of IT. Radiology has slowly become so technology driven that it seemed like a natural move to me. After spending months researching IT I realized that there were ample opportunities for employment with room for growth and an overall higher pay scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Craigs List in chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

I tried to change my career by earning a radiography certificate. I got good grades and am RT(R)(ARRT). That was three years ago and still no radiography job; not even a float/prn job. I am licensed in 5 states too (waste of $$$) - hospital HR tells me they don't want to bring someone in from out of state unless they have experience; I tell them I will pay for my own relocation but that doesn't seem to matter. Fortunately, I have a BBA and have been working temp jobs for $7/hr to barely get by; living the American dream *sarcasm* Nothing like having that student loan hanging over my head as an unpleasant reminder of how my plan backfired in my face. Oh yeah, when I apply for jobs outside of radiography I am always asked why I'm not pursing radiography and many employers don't want to hire me because they think I will quit as soon as I find a radiography job so for all intents and purposes I took the radiography training off of my resume. I think it's an interesting field and would love to be doing it but if you are a prospective radiography student, know what you are getting yourself into and how tough the market is for techs, both experienced and unexperienced. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Thanks for writing! I wondered what your first name is. Anyway, it's Lisa writing. Still...no job! My last interview was a couple weeks ago. I was given a phone call and so I went in there with all my things like it was an interview.. They decided to hire someone with Chiropractic experience over someone with an AS degree in Radiography and the state of FL. license. I even have experience in Physical Therapy. I am about to take a drive up to the department, and they should pay the debt off. This is after my CE renewal process which costs money. How are you licensed in five states? Well...I appreciate your contact. Please write again!

50 months ago

D F in Baltimore, Maryland said: When you took the ARRT exam, you should have gotten your certificate. Here, you can't ger a state license without taking the ARRT exam.

Thanks for your response! How is everything with you?

radtech22 in Sugar Land, Texas

50 months ago

Your clinical affiliates aren't hiring? I graduated a month ago - and turned down a full time job with a clinic because I wanted to work for a major hospital system. Month later got 3 interview calls from the same hospital system and 1 from another major hospital system. Got hired at one of the places I went to clinic at. Granted these jobs are PRN, but they will eventually lead to full time jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

radtech1900 in Fairview, Oregon

50 months ago

RADTECH1900 in Nashville, Tennessee said: I would not go into this field today, the organizations are nothing but snakes. They will change there promise and make it law without a word to you. This field is going downhill. I have a friend, I went to school with that has 20yrs experience in a level 1 trauma center in portland OR. Awesome guy and tech. He has only had a state license he never took the ARRT , because he took a job and then missed there 5 yr window. Now the state of oregon will not let him renew his state license after they gave him one over 10 yrs ago.The state is tottally screwing him. The Arrt is whats wrong with the profession and the states that follow them. They would rather put someone on unemployment then granfather them in. its all about money$$ the ARRT and states that follow them are nothing but a joke.Not a damm thing they do helps radiology,they hurt it. and i have been a member with them since i graduated in 1990. Stay away from Oregon, the state imaging people are IDIOTS from what i heard.
I have had no problems in Tenn.

LIsa..If you do not have an ARRT card and it has been more then 5 years you would have to repeat a 2year rad tech program.ARRT says they are a voluntary process and the state administers and has the authorty for license issued but States are now requiring you to have a ARRT. The ARRT is a joke you can never get any help from them. it is all about $$money$$ thats it. I know several great x ray techs leaving the field due to the arrt. If you really want to spend thousands of $$ on a Rad Tach program when you do get a job you will be starting out at $22 or less per hour. Do not be fooled by people on here the pay is not that great for the amount of money you have to spend to become a tech. Good luck. IMAGINE IF WE NEEDED A NATIONAL LICENSE TO DRIVE A CAR AS WELL AS THE STATE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Hi there! Thank you for writing me. I don't understand what the ARRT card is exactly...confused! Is it another pay dues thing? That is what I understand. I am a graduate of a 2 yr. program..AS Rad degree. My state license here is a Basic Machine Operator. I had to take another program because I scored a 74 top score on the General test. Well, I know what you mean about the field. It all really is getting me nowhere. I am without money...no one even cares! Lets pray for us who are struggling in finding employment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Radtech1900 in Fairview, Oregon

50 months ago

lisambab in Spring Hill, Florida said: Hi there! Thank you for writing me. I don't understand what the ARRT card is exactly...confused! Is it another pay dues thing? That is what I understand. I am a graduate of a 2 yr. program..AS Rad degree. My state license here is a Basic Machine Operator. I had to take another program because I scored a 74 top score on the General test. Well, I know what you mean about the field. It all really is getting me nowhere. I am without money...no one even cares! Lets pray for us who are struggling in finding employment!

Hi Lisa, ARRT is a national certification/licensure organization other then your state x ray licensure.Every state requires you to have a state license and prefer you be affiliated with ARRT.Yes it is another way to get money from you.the ARRT does nothing to help radiology other then promote their own agenda and collect dues. Almost all states are now requiring you to have an ARRT card in order to work.I have had one for 17 years and the ARRT has not done anything to benefit me or the field. They are producing Techs that are good at taking test but have no real common sense with clinical or the people in charge.A friend i know may not be able to use his state license, the state last year passed a law requiring all techs to be affiliated with ARRT. They are putting him out of work. it is a crime.Most states will require you to have one. He is an awesome tech with a talent working in a level 1 trauma hospital.The new ARRT grads cannot hold a candle to him. I have people ask me all the time about this field and i tell them I would not go into it. You may hear its good money but it really isnt when you factor all the $$ you spend on school, ceu's etc. I am sorry for your situation, it is a tough market right now. Try applying at clinics,urgent cares and surgery centers. Most of the hospitals here in calfornia and the N.W. have a hiring freeze right now due to the economy.hope thisHel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

radtech11 in Sugar Land, Texas

50 months ago

Move to a place with a better job market. Nearly everyone in our graduating class of 30 has jobs (granted most are PRN, but a good amount have full time jobs). Those that do not are in the process of being interviewed or choose not to work in order to pursue bachelors degrees/other certifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

50 months ago

Radtech1900 nailed it and I'd like to add that because a lot of these new techs lack hospital experience, when they do land a job, they end up being overwhelmed. Most of these students are so babied that very few of them have ever done a portable x-ray by themselves. When they get on the job they find out that, *gasp* they have have to do x-rays by themselves. These new hires quickly run back to school to get training in another modality hoping things will be better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

50 months ago

Yes Lisa it is another thing to pay dues for, unfortunately you have to have it in order to be recognized as a Registered Technologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.