no jobs for rad techs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 853)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Amy in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

97 months ago

i have been looking for a job for several months now it seems noone wants a fresh rad tech right out of college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Mauricio in Hialeah, Florida

95 months ago

i am a registered radiologic technologist but it seems imposible to ifnd a job in florda period... im a little depressed do to this and i dont want to go back to deliver pizzas ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Dallas, RT(M); RDMS in San Francisco, California

94 months ago

I am a mature,experienced(32yrs) Radiologic Technologist who cannot find work. Gender appears to be a major stumbling block for employers. Haven't they heard about equal opportunity? Or, perhaps I am perceived as a threat to those with similar jobs? It is a shame to sit around and waste my very best talents when I have so much to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robin Hobbs in Burns, Wyoming

92 months ago

Cee in Quincy, Florida said: i been looking for a job in florida for the past 2 months, but im open to go to any city or state to find work every where i apply it's all about experience but how i'm i going to get experience if no one would hire me.

I have been a registered tech for 15 1/2 years now and for 12 years I worked in an orthopedic office doing x-ray with about 3 years of extremity MRI experience. I have been working in a surgery clinic for almost 2 years now and I am trying to find a job but around here nobody wants an experienced tech they want the new grads because they don't want to pay out the money for the experience. So I guess it is different anywhere you go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Hope, Minnesota

91 months ago

I know exactly what you are all talking about. I graduated 5 months ago, and I have applied to probaly 50 jobs, but they all want experience. I went through training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and received some of the best education out there, but it doesn't matter if you don't have paid experience. It is so frustrating!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Dallas, RT(M); RDMS in Hayward, California

91 months ago

Hi, Melissa - I am at the exact opposite end of the spectrum: way too much experience and too old! Probably the real issue is a stagnant economy now in recession. There are no jobs here in California either. You are most likely a lot younger than I and keep the faith - something will turn up eventually. Don't give up. Jim Dallas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Columbia, South Carolina

91 months ago

I seem to be having the same issues as most of you guys. I graduated in August, 2007. I've landed several interviews but all of the employers here seem to be looking for "experience". I am forunate enough to have a well paying job for the state (my background is law enforcement) that I've had since starting x-ray school. But I've spend alot of money, sleepless nights, and tears to earn my degree and I'd like to use it. Besides, the patients are my favorite part of the job!! I have considered volunteering just to gain more experience and exposure. If any of you guys have any recommendations or suggestions I'm definitely open!! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dr. W in Washington, District of Columbia

91 months ago

Hello. I am looking for a Radiologic Technologist who is outgoing and does not want to be in a hospital setting. Our is is fun to work in. We are "upper cervical" chiopractors. (google..Montel Williams Show and "upper cervical" for a youtube video)

We are losing an outstanding Radiologic Technologist b/c they are moving out of state. We need someone with their spirit and work ethic to replace them.

Our office is in Maryland close to the DC border.

<Edited by Host: contact info removed>

Please do not post Contact info or Job opportunities in the forums. If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

April in Norcross, Georgia

91 months ago

Jim Dallas, RT(M); RDMS in Hayward, California said: Hi, Melissa - I am at the exact opposite end of the spectrum: way too much experience and too old! Probably the real issue is a stagnant economy now in recession. There are no jobs here in California either. You are most likely a lot younger than I and keep the faith - something will turn up eventually. Don't give up. Jim Dallas

Hi Jim:

I'm in my 40s and I'm considering a change from corporate america to healthcare. I'm been laid off 3 times in the past 21 years. Do you recommend RN (nursing), RRT (respiratory therapist), or RT (Radiologic Technology)? I don't want to waste several years going back to school for a position that is not in high demand. What do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Dallas, RT(M); RDMS in Hayward, California

91 months ago

To person in their 40's. I would definitely recommend RN. Primary care is in far greater demand than the "tertiary" high tech jobs that you mentioned.(RTT,ARRT,PT,etc). Thanks for your question. It is great to have a format for these kinds of ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Brummel in Overland Park, Kansas

91 months ago

I beleive that you all are right if you have too much experiance they dont want you becuse the they should pay you more to little experance and they don trust you keep your chin up some thing good has got to happen if you keep trying

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tam in Toms River, New Jersey

90 months ago

Same here in NJ,they always want atleast 2 years experience RT, I graduated July 2007 and got my Registry and state lic. I Sent Resume to Agency and to all openings but nobody even bother to call for interview.My 92 Scaled score in registry seems useless, i feel bad bec. i love this job so much.

Dr. W in Columbia, Maryland

90 months ago

Move to Maryland. I need someone in my office

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert L Brummel in Overland Park, Kansas

90 months ago

okay lets talk turkey
How much
how many hours

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dr. W in Clarksville, Maryland

90 months ago

In the 20's, about 30 hrs a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriella in New Orleans, Louisiana

87 months ago

No jobs is right, especially if you're my age (59). Started as staff xray tech, worked in CT for 10 years, mammography 10 years, even made it as high as Director of Diagnostic Imaging. Then, we moved to another state.

After working at various jobs unrelated to the field, I finally found my dream position. Last month, six years later, I was replaced by a tech 30 years my junior. Company sent her for a WEEKEND mammography course. She ended up with my job.

Now, tell me, who would you ladies rather have do your mammogram? A seasoned tech with over 10 years of experience in mammography, or a tech who'd never even SEEN a mammogram let alone done one.

I feel betrayed by my profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SHERRY in Cave City, Kentucky

87 months ago

i WOULD WANT YOU.. NO DOUGHT ABT IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AL in Irvine, California

87 months ago

I can relate to all here, i graduated in late 2007 and applied to many positions online and kept bugging my top choices for interviews and with my first choice i made it for a second interview where it lasted for over an hour and i felt confident about it... and when i called back regarding my status they said, "We debated about it for a long time but we don't feel you have enough experience." I was brutally honest and i feel if i would've said i know every piece of equipment out there (which is what they want to hear), i think they would've preferred that even though they don't know every equipment out there themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

AL in Irvine, California

87 months ago

Gabriella in New Orleans, Louisiana said: No jobs is right, especially if you're my age (59). Started as staff xray tech, worked in CT for 10 years, mammography 10 years, even made it as high as Director of Diagnostic Imaging. Then, we moved to another state.

After working at various jobs unrelated to the field, I finally found my dream position. Last month, six years later, I was replaced by a tech 30 years my junior. Company sent her for a WEEKEND mammography course. She ended up with my job.

Now, tell me, who would you ladies rather have do your mammogram? A seasoned tech with over 10 years of experience in mammography, or a tech who'd never even SEEN a mammogram let alone done one.

Hi Gabriella.... remember that with every adversity there's an oppurtunity for equivalent or greater success. While i was a student I have met people with similar cases to yours and i think that it's a "Bottom Line" situation for the hospital dollars. I feel that towards the end they let valuable, experienced people go in order to avoid paying for their medical expenses as they age and hire younger, cheaper employees. Sometimes i wonder what they really value... is it helping in any way we can, or helping ourselves financially by hurting others financially?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hootie in Marion, Indiana

87 months ago

I graduated in May 07 as a Radiology Tech RT R, started in a small urgent care clinic. Its great to have a job, but most of my day is doing "nusing duties" I do all x-rays when they are ordered, but I don't want to "lose my skills" I have applied for every tech job that i can find. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get a job doing the job I went to school for? I love doing x-rays.. but where are the jobs????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Seems to me like the schools are churning out more techs than are needed. But at least the ones who are teaching the students have jobs...

GRRRR!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Richmond, Virginia

86 months ago

I am 56 yrs. old, have been an Ophthalmology Tech. for twenty two yrs. and am definitely "Burned out!". I have decided to go back to school to become a Rad. Tech. so that I can hopefully work as a Medical Sonographer. My concerns are: am I too old, even though the school I will be attending pretty much 'guarantees' job placement. I would appreciate any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Though medical sonographers seem to have a couple (and I mean a COUPLE) of more job openings in my area, I don't think I'd pursue this path right now.

LPN's and RN's can pretty much pick and choose amongst a plethora of openings. LPN's in my area start at a salary above sonographers too. Another plus, the schooling doesn't take as long.

As far as age goes, though it can't be proven, I see the gray ceiling everywhere I apply.

Best of luck in your endeavors, Barbara.

Ci in Gainesville, Florida

86 months ago

Of course not, your never to old to go back to school, there was a lady in my rad tech class that was 53. Sonography is an excellent field there are lots of things you can do with it, such as breast sonograpy, echo, general, vascular. if you really want to be a sonographer i think you should just go ahead and go to sonography school if you go to rad tech school first you tell will have to go back to school for another year to earn you sonography degree. for far as job placement there a many jobs for sonographer especially if you have a license in vascular or cardic, in sonography the more you can do such as exams the more money you will make. they usually start with about 21 to 23 a hr in florida occupational outlook says 54,000 a year in the us

Chuck Eaton in Fort Knox, Kentucky

86 months ago

Well my wife is also a Tech. But she has no issues landing a job, as she has landed two jobs in the past year. One thing she has going for her was that she earned her degree in X-Ray in the Army and spent 6 years in the Army doing the job of a X-Ray tech, you to could do the same, if you have interest in this email me at chuck.eaton@us.army.mil I was a recruiter for the Army, but now I work for an operations cell, but I can tell you how it worked for her. Look forward to hearing form anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Eaton in Fort Knox, Kentucky

86 months ago

Gabriella in New Orleans, Louisiana said: Seems to me like the schools are churning out more techs than are needed. But at least the ones who are teaching the students have jobs...

GRRRR!!!!!!!!

Well my wife is also a Tech. But she has no issues landing a job, as she has landed two jobs in the past year. One thing she has going for her was that she earned her degree in X-Ray in the Army and spent 6 years in the Army doing the job of a X-Ray tech, you to could do the same, if you have interest in this email me at chuck.eaton@us.army.mil I was a recruiter for the Army, but now I work for an operations cell, but I can tell you how it worked for her. Look forward to hearing form anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

How old is your wife, Chuck? There was a time I had no problems either in this regard. Funny thing, I once worked in CT at Fort Knox...guess it all depends on the area you're in. The VA hospital here in New Orleans is STILL closed, as are several others. It doesn't help that we've lost close to 800 doctors since Aug,2005 either. We'll probably move back to Kentucky if and when our houses here sale. Can't afford to in the meantime. Still, it's very irritating when there's no jobs in the area and the schools graduate way more techs than needed here. I feel it does all the techs here a major disservice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AMY in Richmond, Virginia

86 months ago

Barbara in Richmond, Virginia said: I am 56 yrs. old, have been an Ophthalmology Tech. for twenty two yrs. and am definitely "Burned out!". I have decided to go back to school to become a Rad. Tech. so that I can hopefully work as a Medical Sonographer. My concerns are: am I too old, even though the school I will be attending pretty much 'guarantees' job placement. I would appreciate any advice.

Barbara,
What school are you attending in Richmond? I am also looking to persue the same path, but I am looking for an accredited school to attend. Thanks for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Bear, Delaware

86 months ago

Dr. W in Columbia, Maryland said: Move to Maryland. I need someone in my office

How far from Newark, De are you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cherie Langlois in North Attleboro, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Robin Hobbs in Burns, Wyoming said: I have been a registered tech for 15 1/2 years now and for 12 years I worked in an orthopedic office doing x-ray with about 3 years of extremity MRI experience. I have been working in a surgery clinic for almost 2 years now and I am trying to find a job but around here nobody wants an experienced tech they want the new grads because they don't want to pay out the money for the experience. So I guess it is different anywhere you go.

ah that's why the nwe grads can't find work. Grow up maybe that's why you can't find work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher in Oakland, California

85 months ago

Gabriella in New Orleans, Louisiana said: No jobs is right, especially if you're my age (59). Started as staff xray tech, worked in CT for 10 years, mammography 10 years, even made it as high as Director of Diagnostic Imaging. Then, we moved to another state.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm a trained sleep technologist with years of experience and I worked in Portland, OR. My company, after assuring me no changes would be made, merged with another bigger company, laid off all the experienced workers, and hired people off the street to do 25 lead polysomnograms for half the cost. Unfortunately medicine is all about making the buck. I feel sorry for the docs who have to read their crappy polysomnograms and I feel sorry for the patient if they code or go into vtach and 911 can't understand them because their voice is still changing.

I feel betrayed as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Neely in Midlothian, Virginia

85 months ago

AMY in Richmond, Virginia said: Barbara,
What school are you attending in Richmond? I am also looking to persue the same path, but I am looking for an accredited school to attend. Thanks for your help!

Bonsecours, VCU, and Southside Regional Medical Centers are all accredited. Southside just started the sonography program last year. I just graduated 2 weeks ago and still unemployed!

85 months ago

Gabriella in New Orleans, Louisiana said: Seems to me like the schools are churning out more techs than are needed. But at least the ones who are teaching the students have jobs...

GRRRR!!!!!!!!

With an attatude like that I know why your having a hard time finding work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Amy in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas said: i have been looking for a job for several months now it seems noone wants a fresh rad tech right out of college

I am right out of college to and I am waiting for an offer as we speek. Keep looking. There are web sites that post all the hospitals in your state, look at the ones that you can get to and check what jobs they have. You'll get something don't worry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Robin Hobbs in Burns, Wyoming said: I have been a registered tech for 15 1/2 years now and for 12 years I worked in an orthopedic office doing x-ray with about 3 years of extremity MRI experience. I have been working in a surgery clinic for almost 2 years now and I am trying to find a job but around here nobody wants an experienced tech they want the new grads because they don't want to pay out the money for the experience. So I guess it is different anywhere you go.

Not true. Everyone is having a hard time finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Cherie, your inexperience is showing. But you'll learn. Hopefully.

As for me, I have work, but only part-time in xray. As a matter of fact, I have two jobs right now, the other in a completely unrelated field. I don't have trouble finding work, but the job I want and need is just not available in my area right now.

Good luck with your search too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Sweet justice! I was talking with a former co-worker today. The younger tech who replaced me (and supposedly can do it all in all modalities) xrayed an ankle with the patient's shoe still on. Radiologist refuse to read the films since he couldn't see the talus...and, from what I heard, things like this happen frequently. Then, on another day, she came into work very upset. Seems she found a pigeon in the middle of the street that had been hit by a car. She brought it in with her and started calling vets until she found one that would see the pigeon. She LEFT work to take the pigeon to a vet leaving them short-handed. Hmmmm....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hootie in Indianapolis, Indiana

85 months ago

hey that is sweet justice!!!!

chumalum351 in Randolph, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Amy in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas said: i have been looking for a job for several months now it seems noone wants a fresh rad tech right out of college

I hear ya! I started looking for a job 8 months before I graduated and still no luck, there is nothing for jobs. its quite depressing after all the hard work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Macon, Georgia

84 months ago

Hey! I've also had a difficult time finding work. I've been employed at an urgent care outpatient center for 18 months. But we had to also do lab, include venipuncture. I didn't care for the lab so I'm now looking for x-ray position. I'd love to be able to be trained in CT, Mammo, or Ultra sound. If anyone can help hook me up I'd REALLY appreciate it.

hootie in Indianapolis, Indiana

84 months ago

Hey I did the same thing for 1 year, I hate the labs.. But then the clinic closed and again I am looking for A JOB.. any help.. hOOTIE FROM indiana

Bonnie in Bend, Oregon

84 months ago

I just graduated and cant find a job either. I started looking 4 months ago. I had to max out my student loans because I am raising kids with no child support. I feel I have put my kids and I in a worse situation then before I returned to school to earn my degree. Kind of depressing, but I am going to keep looking. What else can I do?

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

Bonnie in Bend, Oregon said: I just graduated and cant find a job either. I started looking 4 months ago. I had to max out my student loans because I am raising kids with no child support. I feel I have put my kids and I in a worse situation then before I returned to school to earn my degree. Kind of depressing, but I am going to keep looking. What else can I do?

All you can do is hang in there! Thats what alot of us are doing. I know a Tech that moved from NJ just for a PRN job. He had to leave his family behind, so sad. I pray he gets FT soon...

nick in Lake Worth, Florida

84 months ago

DO NOT consider x-ray tech as a viable profession! I have graduated from one of the best schools in So Fla. West Boca Med Ctr Scl of Radiological Technology. There are tons of schools here pushing out techs and promising them jobs that are non-existent. Not only that, the medical profession is a sleaze-bag profession. Radiologists will easily sacrifice a good tech if they can not do a clear cut reading.(Malpractice seems to govern So Fla.) There are Orthopedic Surgeons that team up w/Chiros and law-firms that push surgery like selling cars.This is the trend here. Bottom line is their bottom-line.$$$$ I got into this because I cared about people---thing is most doctors do not!I am not disgruntled--this is reality!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Neely in Glen Allen, Virginia

84 months ago

this field is definitely discouraging. only 3 out of 13 classmates are full time and everyone else is part-time or PRN, not to mention one girl and myself STILL don't have any kind of job. i've been applying at least a month before i graduated this past june. hospitals seem to want at least 2 to 3 years experience and some are even requiring a B.S., not to mention a state license, which i have, but feel like i've wasted the money for that since i'm not getting any job offers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

Neely in Glen Allen, Virginia said: this field is definitely discouraging. only 3 out of 13 classmates are full time and everyone else is part-time or PRN, not to mention one girl and myself STILL don't have any kind of job. i've been applying at least a month before i graduated this past june. hospitals seem to want at least 2 to 3 years experience and some are even requiring a B.S., not to mention a state license, which i have, but feel like i've wasted the money for that since i'm not getting any job offers.

This seems to be the trend with all imaging modalities. People need to STOP applying to these programs.When I got out of school 10 years ago there were tons of jobs, now after 10 years all I can find is PRN. Not to mention the older you get the more difficult it becomes to work all day and then take call. I would NOT recommend healthcare to anyone, it's a tough job with little rewards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Wesley Chapel, Florida

83 months ago

Please if any body reads this that is thinking about going to x ray school, DONT! There is no jobs anywhere. I graduated about two months ago and I only know one person in my class of 18 that actually has a job. I thought it was just a Florida problem but by reading this I can tell it's a national problem. I wonder why something is not being done to restrict the schools from putting out all these techs. It is really bad for the career. The ARRT should be trying to do something. For me, I guess Im starting to think about doing something else. Its not a good feeling to know that very soon I am going to have a huge school bill and not the high paying job I was expecting to help pay it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TOTTI in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

I am used to feel what you all guys are just feeling , i graduated in 2004 and after a year i got a job as RT here in california , but a year later i was laid off. after that i have applied many places but none offered anything, finally i moved to DUPAI-UAE and i have got a good paying job as RT and everything is easy right here they pay me more than how much they used to pay me back in home. so think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sara marsico in blacksburg, Virginia

83 months ago

Hello, I am currently a junior pursuing a Bachelor's in Biology. I was thinking about being a cytotechnologist. But with all the negativity about being a techy, I am unsure. I still have time to really think about what I want to do with my life. It would mean a lot to me if anyone could give me any good ideas about professions pertaining to biology, zoology, environmentalism, etc. that pay fairly well(not ridiculous, like a doctor's salary), are somewhat enjoyable, and have good employment rates.

If anyone could share their experiences with pursuing a career that is Biology-related(throughout a wide spectrum of interests, not just technologist positions), I would greatly appreciate it! I feel very lost

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

R in Lorain, Ohio

83 months ago

i graduated this past june w/ my bachelor's degree in radiography. i had THE hardest time finding a job (cleveland, OH). i finally landed one and it's full time, but all i will be doing is taking portable chests. i guess i can't complain b/c it's a good paying job. i just know i'm going to forget how to x-ray everything else :(

i really want to get certified in something else...i just can't decide on WHAT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.