Are real estate agent job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most real estate agent opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Columbia, Maryland

80 months ago

There is always a market for buying and selling homes as there is always demand. Inventories are way up and sales are slow these days, so it takes longer to sell. Many newer agents who got in while the market was quick are now leaving in slower times. Experienced agents have seen ups and downs and learn how to make the most of them to survive. What is interesting to me is that YES there are ways to earn in any market. I have gotten swept up in dealing with over-leveraged owners who need to sell for less than they owe and get the lender to approve this -- called "short sale." Few agents know how to do these, so having this new niche is great for me. ALL markets have over-leveraged sellers in trouble now, but the ones that bubbled-up and burst have more than their share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia

60 months ago

There is a market always just when it's slow so is the pay day. The problem with this business is that there are Real Estate Agents who have "regular" jobs they have had for years and also hold a Real Estate license. When the market gets good they take their vacations, days off and sick time and come out in full force to sell homes. It's not their career and they don't always do a reputable job and that can give those who have made it their career a bad name. They go back to their jobs and those who are Real Estate Brokers and Agents 365 days a year are lumped in with the Agents who come out when it's only a good market. They may not break the law (while some come close or do) but they aren't always polite or caring about anything but the money. They aren't trying to build the relationship with the public that a Career Real Estate Agent or Broker is. There will always be homes for sale and if you are a go getter it won't matter the market you will find a way to make it. If you can do it during tough times you will do great in good times. Remember you are in business for yourself and it's all up to you how much of yourself you put into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Flying Agent in Portland, Oregon

54 months ago

How many working Flight Attendants out there also work as Real Estate Agents?

How's it working out for you? Can you be successful in real estate while you have to be on an airline schedule and away for days at a time? If so, how are you doing it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Realtor in Melbourne, Florida

53 months ago

Flying Agent in Portland, Oregon said: How many working Flight Attendants out there also work as Real Estate Agents?

How's it working out for you? Can you be successful in real estate while you have to be on an airline schedule and away for days at a time? If so, how are you doing it?

I know a broker in Melbourne, FL who makes a living doing both, or I should say has to do both to make a living. She went back to flying week on week off to help make up her income short fall. In fact all most all agent in Florida have to hold a second job to live at this time. I am a Handman and a real estate broker at this time. It is costly to do business at lease in Florida it is. It may work for you in your area. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dee in Lowell, Massachusetts

51 months ago

momma:

That's up to you to decide if Real Estate is good for you. You have been in it now for almost a year? Do you enjoy it? Is it the market or are you not cut out for selling? What's your typical day like? I'm trying to decide if I want to change jobs and become a real estate agent. I am personable and have lots of energy- not to mention I love gazing at homes for sale all day and appreciate different architecture- but will I be good at it? I wonder what to do? I guess I won't know unless I try. Good luck - hope business picks up for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

suziel in Jonesboro, Georgia

50 months ago

I am a LPN, just moved out from NY to GA. I am considering getting my RE license. RE has always been a passion of mine, but b/c I have small children and I am a single parent I need to work (steady weekly pay). But since I have moved to GA, having difficulties finding nursing jobs so I have been considering getting into the field. Any suggestions, I know it's slow but I am willing to take the challenge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RE Agent in Portland, Oregon

50 months ago

I certainly couldn't recommend trading in a nursing career for one in real estate. If a steady, reliable paycheck is important, then you need to know that it could be months before you see your first paycheck. And following that, there will be no guarantees to when your next check will come in. Also, there are no benefits.

It's very unpredictable. A job as a RE Agent is definitely not one of security. That being said, if you want to give it a shot while you're waiting for a nursing job to open up, go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Essex, Connecticut

27 months ago

Does anybody have any good ideas how I can start in Real Estate while keeping my day job? I have a very high interest in the numbers and research aspect of real estate but can't afford to quit my day job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nelon in Calicut, India

15 months ago

Hi,
Firstly, we need to learn the basics of the real estate strategies and techniques first. Whats the business, is this is right for us or not like that. Aptitude is the primary qualification and then comes the skills.

iGroup SoHo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nate Wainwright in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

I am a former real estate agent and it has been my experience that it really depends on the individual. Some people are sucessful because by nature they are good at communicating and converting potential clients into buyers and sellers. You have to be an out going person and that really makes a difference. If you dont meet people regardless of how the market is doing you wont make money. Most agents would tell you that a down market just weeds out the weak. If you want to get your license however here is a web site that has a lot of information about getting a license and tips for sucess after you get it. www.realestatelicensinginfo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.