Trainee Hours

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

angelstar in Canyon Country, California

66 months ago

I am a trainee having a hard time getting hours. Appraisers that I have worked for say, a trainee can not sign on the left side of an appraisal report after completing an appraisal and that they can only be mentioned in the addendum for assisting.
The supervisor appraiser has to sign on the left side, which means that they are confirming that they have phyically inspected the property. In order for a trainee to get hours for doing a appraisal does a supervisor appraiser and a trainee both have to inspect the property? Does anyone have any suggestions on how a trainee who has about 1000 hours get hours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

It really depends on the state that you are appraising in. In Georgia the mentor has to inspect the first 20 appraisals with you and after that you are on your own. Also if you have already got you 1000 hours you might be able to make up the rest using your own home, family members homes, friends homes etc. These types of appraisals can not be more than 1/2 or 1/3 of the total hours of your training period. I am not sure if it is 1/2 or 1/3 you will have to check. Also there is a couple of websites that might be helpful to you. Appraisersforum.com Georgiaappraiser.com and appraiserjobs.com. It is going to be very hard in this industry for the next year or so but if you can hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

*N* in Santa Maria, California

64 months ago

Gosh, unless things have changed in the past two years...you are allowed to sign the appraisal report on the left. The supervising appraiser signs on the right. Their is a box he can check to state that he also physically inspected it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to search for an appraiser trainee position? I've been to the websites mentioned in this thread but haven't been able to fine anyone that is hiring.
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ja.holstein in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

My big question is also how does a trainee get hours? I have been searching and searching and have had no luck with obtaining a mentor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Fishers, Indiana

53 months ago

It's really difficult right now to find a mentor. When I stared 5 years ago I sent out 60 resumes with follow up calls and finally got one interview. Luckily that was enough to find a mentor. Keep in mind this was when the market was doing well and there was plenty of work to go around. With all the new regulations and appraisers competing with BPOs and AVMs, you will find it will be hard to find a mentor. I would recommend calling every appraiser you can find and sending out resumes. You may check on appraisersforum.com. there is usually good information there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cyndy in Fullerton, California

49 months ago

Appraisers and Appraiser Assistants Trainees Positions Available in Orange County, CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mike_2000 in North Hills, California

49 months ago

Cyndy in Fullerton, California said: Appraisers and Appraiser Assistants Trainees Positions Available in Orange County, CA

Hi Cyndy,

If you are considering a intership for appraiser trainee, please let me know, I would need more experience in completing the appraisal reports using Win total, thanks and look forward to hear from you.

Regards

Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RH in Fallbrook, California

47 months ago

Check with your County Assessor's Office to see if they have trainee positions available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Modesto, California

47 months ago

angelstar in Canyon Country, California said: I am a trainee having a hard time getting hours. Appraisers that I have worked for say, a trainee can not sign on the left side of an appraisal report after completing an appraisal and that they can only be mentioned in the addendum for assisting.
The supervisor appraiser has to sign on the left side, which means that they are confirming that they have phyically inspected the property. In order for a trainee to get hours for doing a appraisal does a supervisor appraiser and a trainee both have to inspect the property? Does anyone have any suggestions on how a trainee who has about 1000 hours get hours?

did you find anyone to help you out inregards to your TRAINEE HOURS??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angelstar3@sbcglobal.net in Canyon Country, California

47 months ago

shawn in Modesto, California said: did you find anyone to help you out inregards to your TRAINEE HOURS??

No I did not find an appraiser to work for to finish up my hours. I have to renew my license by Dec. 2010 and take continuing education. I'm not so sure that I should waste the money, if I can't get anyone to help me get my hours.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Yvonne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julie F in Van Nuys, California

39 months ago

I am wondering if it is still worth it as a part time job to become an appraiser? I would do it as a second job for additional income. Is it really hard to find a mentor?
let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Tupelo, Mississippi

35 months ago

Julie F in Van Nuys, California said: I am wondering if it is still worth it as a part time job to become an appraiser? I would do it as a second job for additional income. Is it really hard to find a mentor?
let me know.

It is definitely not a part time job. If you ever find a mentor then it will take ALL of your time to learn this profession. After you have about 1,500 appraisals under your belt, then maybe you could do it part time but I highly doubt it. This is a profession, not a part time job. Alas, within the next 5 years to become certified will require you to obtain a bachelors degree. That on top of the 2,000 training hours, a ton of appraisal courses to become certified and tons of expenses including E&O, MLS membership, Software expenses etc..I could go on and on. With that said, does this sound like a part time job to you? I am in my fifth year as an appraiser and I can tell you honestly, to suceed in this field is a long uphill climb and takes a very long time to become truly competent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Julie F in North Hollywood, California

35 months ago

Thanks for your input. I actually have my masters degree. I realize it takes a lot of time and effore, I was considering it as a side job which would grow into something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

M Windom, Ga

35 months ago

I am looking for an opportunity to work as an realtor's appraisal trainee in Georgia to obtain training hours. My preference would be in the Southwest region of Ga, but willing to travel where is available.
M Windom

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dd in Rialto, California

34 months ago

Heidi D in Burbank, California said: I am having a very difficult time finding someone to help with mentoring. I found someone and she just said she did not have enough work to consider taking on a trainee. Maybe the state regulators might want to reconsider or add some ways to help us?

Im on the same boat. Im now going renew my trainee license for second time and I still need more than 1100 hrs. Its hard to find a mentor not to mention they wont pay with money only with hrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeffbeal in Bronx, New York

34 months ago

where you located?

dd in Desert Hot Springs, California

34 months ago

jeffbeal in Bronx, New York said: where you located?

In souhtern california, in thr inland empire area.

dd in Desert Hot Springs, California

34 months ago

jeffbeal in Bronx, New York said: where you located?

In souhtern california, in thr inland empire area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gbar1 in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts

34 months ago

I am in Southern MA and looking into classes for appraisal, but after reading all this I am not sure. I have always wanted to be an Appraiser, but I worry about finding a Mentor to take me on AND get 2000 hours in 2 years. If anyone in MA would like to entertain an assistant, please let me know and I will be in the first class I can find in all of MA. I have my BS and I am currently a Ma Real estate agent. Thank you--b

Dan

33 months ago

After a career in military aviation and recently moving to the Tri-Cities area of TN I am considering this avenue. I appreciate being able to read the stories and Q&A here. Any one here in TN? I will need to find a Supervisor to work with.

Tom in Louisville, Kentucky

32 months ago

Im very close to finishing my courses so i can become a trainee in the Louisville area please email me if you know of anyone who is taking trainees

sharon in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

I too am having difficulty in locating a mentor to take me on as a trainee. I have sent out my resume and have spoken to several appraisers but they all say the do not have the time to show me what to do or the process because it is too time consuming. How does one get the hours if you can't get a mentor? What do I do and is there another avenue I can try to find someone who is willing to help me get my hours?

Tony in Worcester, Massachusetts

27 months ago

I understand that we need experience to do the job. But, in this case, the trainee required 2000 hours to take full license, it's fair if the board required that every appraisers need to take one trainee every year (2 years)to renew their license. Or, another way for trainee to get a license as well.

Gregg

27 months ago

angelstar in Canyon Country, California said: I am a trainee having a hard time getting hours. Appraisers that I have worked for say, a trainee can not sign on the left side of an appraisal report after completing an appraisal and that they can only be mentioned in the addendum for assisting.

check with assessors and your state department of revenue.

Mike in South Pasadena, California

26 months ago

Dan in Tupelo, Mississippi said: It is definitely not a part time job. If you ever find a mentor then it will take ALL of your time to learn this profession. After you have about 1,500 appraisals under your belt, then maybe you could do it part time but I highly doubt it. This is a profession, not a part time job. Alas, within the next 5 years to become certified will require you to obtain a bachelors degree. That on top of the 2,000 training hours, a ton of appraisal courses to become certified and tons of expenses including E&O, MLS membership, Software expenses etc..I could go on and on. With that said, does this sound like a part time job to you? I am in my fifth year as an appraiser and I can tell you honestly, to suceed in this field is a long uphill climb and takes a very long time to become truly competent.

I am a Realtor with MBA, just finished Appraiser's school in California. I am Preparing for the state exam. When is the training hours required, before of after passing the state exam? Being a Realtor, I alredy have E&O and MLS membership. What do you think working as a Realtor and Appraiser at the same time.

Mike_2000 in North Hills, California

26 months ago

Hi,

I would not like to discourage the new starter or whoever plans to start this real estate appraisal as a new career. When appraisers signed up with the appraisal management companies or lenders, they want you to sign a no trainee contract. Of course how can you mention that you have a trainee helping you in the appraisal report and how can you get credit? so this is a big problem. It is very true that you will spend tons of money and maybe finally waste time and money. Please read some trainees who already had 1000 hours credit and could not get further credit and etc....
Please reconsider very carefully before proceed your dream, good luck!

Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

gaylebar1 in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts

26 months ago

Hi, Let me just tell you that I am doing it. I try to do Real Estate too, but there is no real time left to do it well. As a trainee, I work about 12 hrs a day, and the weekends are when I drive around taking original comp. photos for the reports and play catch up work. This too was my "dream" and perhaps back then it was a great job, but now it sucks! I am doing it because I started, and hope that it will be better on my own, but the fact is that it most likely won't be better until the Management Companies relax or go out of business. They make the job so miserable. You send off a report off(which I get no time credit for because I can't sign or put anywhere on the report that I worked on it, so the state won't count that towards my license.), and minutes to days later you get it back with corrections.... mostly because they don't read the report. So then you put down what your doing to "fix" or copy and paste the original comment they never read and put it right out in the open so they can find it. They pay CRAP and want it done in 48 hours with original comp photos. The office does them because they are the "bread and butter" when appraising slows. So I keep thinking in 18 months when this is over I will not work for them. Hopefully I can figure it out. I would like to find a Commercial Appraiser to work for after I get my residential license... but those are far and few between around here. So just understand that no, you most likely won't be able to do both, and yes the job truly has taken a turn (again)... just hoping it turns for the better sooner than later. As to the college degree.... I personally think they are trying to kill the appraisal business... because who is going to go to school for 4 years, just to make $10/hour for 2 more years while paying a ton of money for classes and programs, and not be able to sign or get credit for management companies... which currently is 50% of the business in our office

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Waukegan, Illinois

25 months ago

I am looking for trainee hours in Illinois. I have experience working with an appraiser before I decided to pursue the Appraisal education. The appraiser I was helping out is no longer available and her contacts were not looking to mentor someone. I am well educated with multiple degrees. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to get the hours I need to be certified.

massey_msnba@yahoo.com in Los Angeles, California

22 months ago

Wow, this is certainly discouraging.....I am a realtor in Los Angeles, Hollywood areas. I was thinking of taking some appraisal classes and go for a license.

Any recommendations on Appraisal schools here in L.A? Also, do they not place
us for apprenticeship positions for us to get our hours so we can be licensed.

Anyone, please make recommendations to where I should go?

CO from EI in Inland Empire, California

22 months ago

massey_msnba@yahoo.com in Los Angeles, California said: Wow, this is certainly discouraging.....I am a realtor in Los Angeles, Hollywood areas. I was thinking of taking some appraisal classes and go for a license.

Any recommendations on Appraisal schools here in L.A? Also, do they not place
us for apprenticeship positions for us to get our hours so we can be licensed.

Anyone, please make recommendations to where I should go?

I went retrainers.com for my hrs and i did pass the test the first time. I have renewed my license three times and I am still a trainee. I quit doing appraisals now, it was hard to find a mentor and if you find one they will ask you to work for free in exchange for the hrs. I hope you will get better chances. Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

greg.davis75@gmail.com in Lake Orion, Michigan

21 months ago

I am considering scools for my Limited License classes. Does anyone have knowledge of the following schools?
Van Ed
Appraisers Institute
Kaplan

And yes, I am aware that taking online classes means the tests are timed and you go through the material twice.

What's the best way to go about obtaining sponsorship/mentor? When I'm doing the 2000 hrs required by my state, do I receive compensation?

Tonia Jordan in Frackville, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

I took the courses for my trainee license with Van Ed. I was mostly pretty happy with them.

greg.davis75@gmail.com in Lake Orion, Michigan

21 months ago

What's the best way to go about obtaining sponsorship/mentor? When I'm doing the 2000 hrs required by my state, do I receive compensation?

djscrivner in Grovetown, Georgia

15 months ago

John in Atlanta, Georgia said: It really depends on the state that you are appraising in. In Georgia the mentor has to inspect the first 20 appraisals with you and after that you are on your own. Also if you have already got you 1000 hours you might be able to make up the rest using your own home, family members homes, friends homes etc. These types of appraisals can not be more than 1/2 or 1/3 of the total hours of your training period. I am not sure if it is 1/2 or 1/3 you will have to check. Also there is a couple of websites that might be helpful to you. Appraisersforum.com Georgiaappraiser.com and appraiserjobs.com. It is going to be very hard in this industry for the next year or so but if you can hang in there.

Do Kentucky general appraisal classes transfer from KY? I was still working under a supervisor before we moved to GA. I have not worked in the appraisal business since 2010.

TDH in Walnut, California

12 months ago

I am currently from southern Cali, in the Diamond Bar area...would like to know if anyone need a trainee..I need a mentor. Thank you..

medwards2 in Brea, California

8 months ago

I'm in OC, CA area looking for a mentor. I am a licensed AT, realtor, have my MBA....just would like to get working on my 2000 hours. Anyone know an appraiser that is hiring in my area? I would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback. Just a bit frustrated. Thanks everyone.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.