getting into real estate appraising

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Brent in Alleghany, California

87 months ago

Most appraiser jobs currently do not require a college education, but rather specific training within the appraisal area. Most states require at least 2000 hrs of documented appraisal experience as a appraisal assistant along with 90 hours of approved education. The standards are going to change starting in January 2008, a college degree will be required, at least a 2yr assoc. degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Lawrenceville, Georgia

81 months ago

I have been thinking about becoming a real estate appraiser. I understand the requirements needed; however, I'm a little concerned about the apprenticeship program. During the "apprenticeship", what is the average pay while going through this program. Also, is it fairly easy to find a company in which to be an apprentice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (151) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Brent

81 months ago

That is the unfortunate part of appraising, sometimes the pay varies. You might be able to work out a deal with the training appraiser for compensation, often a fee could be 1/2 of the appraisal, or they also could elect to pay you hourly, maybe $10.00 per hour to start. Either way you will not get rich as a trainee.

Brent

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

chris in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

Thanks for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dustin in Madison, Wisconsin

81 months ago

I am going to be interviewing for an appraiser position later this week. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how best to prepare for the interview? I was a RE major in college (just graduated) and don't have any real world experience. Any tips on what questions may be asked of me, responses employers are looking for, materials to bring with, etc. is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

RE Appraiser Trainees?? in Knoxville, Tennessee

79 months ago

I am going to be taking the basic courses for this soon. I have a college degree and some experience working with appraisals and appraisers.
Could anyone advice the best way to find someone who will take me on as a trainee?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Cochise in Whittier, California

79 months ago

The "LOOP" sponsored by The Harris Company, Real Estate Appraisers and Consultants, A Real Estate Custom Search Engine, CSE, 310.337.1973
Search engine details [Edit this search engine]
Get In The "LOOP," a Real Estate Custom Search Engine

Real Estate and Appraisal - Appraiser Information, Research and Services, for the Novice and Expert Alike. Built by Real Estate Experts:
The Harris Company REA/C
5780 West Centinela Avenue, 1-408
Los Angeles, CA. 90045

The "LOOP" search engine: www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=000747579154309164948%3Annakvu69iqy

www.harriscompanyrec.com

email:
curtis_harris@harriscompanyrec.com

appraisal blog
www.harriscompanyrec.com/blog/

Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. The objective of our website/search engine is to organize the world's real estate information and make it universally accessible and useful. Sometimes it pays to play "Follow the Leader." (Keywords: "Real Estate Search Engine" "Real Estate Custom Search Engine" "Real Estate CSE" "CSE" "Appraiser")

"Instead of fighting the explosive growth of the Internet, the Open Directory (and the Harris Company REA/C-CSE) provides the means for the Internet to organize itself. As the Internet grows, so do the number of net-citizens. These citizens can each organize a small portion of the web and present it to the rest of the population, culling out the bad and useless and keeping only the best content." From: DMOZ-Open Directory Project.

IT'S FREE! Appraisers, Attorneys, Brokers, Consultants, Contractors, and Lenders are All Welcome.

If

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Inspecter - Real Estate in Frisco, Texas

77 months ago

Tiera in Houston, Texas said: WHAT TYPE OF EDUCATION DOES AN APPRAISER REQUIRE?

What is the Real Estate INSPECTER position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Inspecter - Real Estate in Frisco, Texas

77 months ago

Brent in Alleghany, California said: Most appraiser jobs currently do not require a college education, but rather specific training within the appraisal area. Most states require at least 2000 hrs of documented appraisal experience as a appraisal assistant along with 90 hours of approved education. The standards are going to change starting in January 2008, a college degree will be required, at least a 2yr assoc. degree.

Whats the difference with the Real Estate INSPECTOR vs. appreiser? Are there crossover classes that would qualify for both?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in Schaumburg, Illinois

76 months ago

I think this new education requirements are a joke!!! They said that at least 2yr degree will be required however as far as anyone is concerned it could mean that a person who is a M.D. in General Medicine can qualify to be a Certified Residentual or Commercial Appraiser. I can understand the need for an appraiser to be well educated but not in the upcomming standards that is going to take place here in a few days...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PRE

76 months ago

What are the basic requirements for cert in real estate appraisal and insoection certification?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PRE

76 months ago

Would it be wiser to get certified as a real estate agent and work at that while gaining hours to apply for appraiser/inspector licensing.
Could licensing as a building contractor be more usefull then real estate licensing for prep for appraisal /inspector?
I have worked at buying and selling real estate with classes in real estate investing,finaincing over 20 years.
I have comleted a real estate prep class without appling for licensing. Can this be healpfull or apply toward experience in the field to satisfy
the 2000 hour requirement?
Any input appreciated
PRE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Real Estate in Frisco, Texas

76 months ago

Most Real Estate or Insurance related jobs have their requirements for education and/or certification determined by the state that you'll be doing business in.

You will need to refer to your local Real Estate board to cover all the bases.

To search try: (Your State) plus the word "AND" plus Real Estate plus Appraiser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Real Estate in Frisco, Texas

76 months ago

Whats the realistic earnings for a Real Estate Inspector?

How are these 2 jobs of Appraiser & Inspector overlapped and/or different?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OhioGuy33 in Toledo, Ohio

76 months ago

Brent in Alleghany, California said: Most appraiser jobs currently do not require a college education, but rather specific training within the appraisal area. Most states require at least 2000 hrs of documented appraisal experience as a appraisal assistant along with 90 hours of approved education. The standards are going to change starting in January 2008, a college degree will be required, at least a 2yr assoc. degree.

Regarding the requirement for a college degree, starting in 2008. Is this state law, or something required nationally ?

I'm interested in getting an entry-level job in commercial real estate. I do have a bachelors degree in business. I have taken a few real estate appraisal courses, some years ago: residential appraisal, USPAP, Forms class, and a commercial R.E. appraisal class, when I was a senior in college. I have never worked for an appraisal company.

I took a few of these classes, when I was laid off from a newspaper a few years ago. But then I got called back to my job with the paper.

I'm willing to re-take several classes upfront, to demonstrate to a prospective employer, that I am serious about this career path. I can afford to live with less, in the initial couple years. I am single, with no debts or major financial obligations (car payment, wife, child support, student loans, credit cards).

Anyone have any further knowledge about what it takes to get an entry-level job doing commercial real estate appraisal ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yvonne in Azusa, California

73 months ago

the education is important.. go to a school that knows the laws... i went to allied real estate appraisal and boy that school is full of crap.. most ppl there are looking just to sell the package... don't do to ALLIED REAL ESTATE APPRAISAL SCHOOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

aabien in Fremont, California

73 months ago

Which level of the appraiser can open his/her own appraisal company?

entry level?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Auburn, California

70 months ago

yvonne in Azusa, California said: the education is important.. go to a school that knows the laws... i went to allied real estate appraisal and boy that school is full of crap.. most ppl there are looking just to sell the package... don't do to ALLIED REAL ESTATE APPRAISAL SCHOOL

I was just getting ready to invest in some courses from Allied. The salesman was definitely shady. I caught him in a few lies as I questioned him. I was just going to sign up for a few courses without all the add ons of computer, software system, etc. Yvonne, what did you think of the courses? I was planning to do the at home/on line version. Your feed back would be much appreciated! Thanks!

70 months ago

You know the convience of online is great... Just the USPAP class i would take in person.. I went to MCKISSOCK to take my uspap class in person.. Personally i just didn't understand the book. That was my mistake, I should have been told by ALLIED why i couldn't take it from some one else. The instructor from MCKISSOCK TRACY MARTIN was so good about explaining USPAP to me and the class. You don't have to buy all the extras, because you'll be working under some one for 2 years...if you have any trouble with ALLIED BETH WANG is in charge there.. I have to go back and retake all my hours again.. but this time from MCKISSOCK. You asked about the course.. Well i think you can take it any where it depends on how fast you want to complete the classes.. But i surly won't advise you to use ALLIED... they are interested in selling.They AREN'T current with california requirements.. I had to tell them.. Good luck.. you can take classes at community colleges.. There are good classes there too, but check with calif which community college classes they will except

70 months ago

You know the convience of online is great... Just the USPAP class i would take in person.. I went to MCKISSOCK to take my uspap class in person.. Personally i just didn't understand the book. That was my mistake, I should have been told by ALLIED why i couldn't take it from some one else. The instructor from MCKISSOCK TRACY MARTIN was so good about explaining USPAP to me and the class. You don't have to buy all the extras, because you'll be working under some one for 2 years...if you have any trouble with ALLIED BETH WANG is in charge there.. I have to go back and retake all my hours again.. but this time from MCKISSOCK. You asked about the course.. Well i think you can take it any where it depends on how fast you want to complete the classes.. But i surly won't advise you to use ALLIED... they are interested in selling.They AREN'T current with california requirements.. I had to tell them.. Good luck.. you can take classes at community colleges.. There are good classes there too, but check with calif which community college classes they will except

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Auburn, California

70 months ago

Thanks for the input on Allied. I will look for another course provider. I live in Northern California. I assume MCKISSOCK is a classroom setting school in your area in Southern California? I may have to take 90 hours over again also. I will try to get credit for two courses that I took through Felde Programs and Real Estate Services (correspondence courses headquartered in So Cal). These were courses I took before the new rules went into effect Jan. 08.
Best of luck to you, Yvonne and thanks again!

Amber in San Juan, Puerto Rico

70 months ago

I am interested in residential real estate appraiser in Texas...I believe its only a 2 year degree and a lot of apprentice time but I still do not completely understand if there is any online courses that are good and can be trusted and not like "Allied" looking to make a quick sale

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Try this: in Frisco, Texas

70 months ago

I believe there are 2 of this type in Dallas, TX.

Last time I checked there was one affiliated with Collin College (Collin County Community College)which is online.

There are other programs affiliated with the Real Estate Licensing companies in Dallas.

Try University of Texas at Arlington affiliate " Estate School "

I've taken various similiar classes with each of these schools/universities. I've checked with each regarding the RE Appraiser classes.

Personally, I prefer classes with the reputable colleges since it's highly likely that these programs have been extremely checked out prior to becoming affiliated and attached to the University due to reputation reasons.

"Affiliated" generally means its part of the Continuing Education programs which are regularly offered general classes. They are usually not college credit courses, however, they are respected as continuing education if you know your stuff IF they are affiliated with a long standing university or reputable organization.

One thing you never want to do is pay money and then have the "school" go out of business. It almost immediatly loses it's creditability.

If you find a great program that "online" based, please let me know.

70 months ago

Is the appraiser schooling/qualifications different by state similiar to a RE license, nursing license, Dr. License or Lawyer?

70 months ago

" Brent in Alleghany, California

16 months ago
Most appraiser jobs currently do not require a college education, but rather specific training within the appraisal area. Most states require at least 2000 hrs of documented appraisal experience as a appraisal assistant along with 90 hours of approved education. The standards are going to change starting in January 2008, a college degree will be required, at least a 2yr assoc. degree.

Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse "

What is the current information on INSPECTION and then APPRAISAL now?
Is this by state?

Tammy in Genoa City, Wisconsin

70 months ago

I don't understand how people are saying it's simple to find an apprentice appraiser position in southeastern wisconsin. I have been avidly looking for 6 months and have come up completely empty. I have searched many different avenues to no avail. Can anyone advise??

russell in Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

I've completed school for appraiser but i need to know if their is a state exam that i must take and if i need to do an appernticeship

Bill in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

I have many years in the mortgage industry but primarily in servicing and investor reporting. I have just completed my course on appraisal and am studying for the state exam and am working at finding a sponsor here in Southern California. Does anyone have any suggestions?

YVONNE H in Duarte, California

59 months ago

sean in Mission Viejo, California said: Allied schools has online appraiser course at affordable price. www.appraiserlicense.com/index.html

PLEASE don't use this company.... all they are out to is sell sell sell and most aren't up to date with requirements... please save your money and go to a college or call OREA and find a school that is honest with there info and care more about the ulimate line the money DON'T GO TO ALLIED REAL ESTATE APPRAISAL SCHOOL

bryan in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

That is interesting regarding allied real estate appraisal school. any comments pertaining to them? I am still waiting for an email response from them (emailed them 3X--NO response), are they that inept, incompetent or is it a California laid back, chill man approach towards business?

YVONNE H in Duarte, California

58 months ago

ITS THEM ITS NOT A GOOD TIME IN REAL ESTATE TO TRY TO LOOK LIKE THEY KNOW WHAT THERE DOING GOOD LUCK TRY GLENDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE THEY HAVE A GOOD PROGRAM.. AT LEAST THEY ARE TRYING

latoure in Sunnyvale, California

58 months ago

Most appraisal jobs run from like $250-$400 for standard residential property under 1 million. In California, It may be more. If you are trainee , be prepared to work 2 years for free(if you can even get someone to take you):)

Real Estate in Frisco, Texas said: Whats the realistic earnings for a Real Estate Inspector?

How are these 2 jobs of Appraiser & Inspector overlapped and/or different?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen Whitman in Riverside, California

51 months ago

Here is a few steps to becoming a Realtor.

Step 1
First off, you need to find a real estate broker that is willing to sponsor you (which means signing for you to get your license; this also means you will be employed through them upon completion of your test).

Step 2
Then, find a correspondence real estate license class in your area. This is essentially a DIY real estate class where all study is done on your own terms with no classes.

Step 3
Now, once you have completed the 90-hour course work, sign up for and attend an exam review session through the school.

Step 4
Take your final exam (you need a passing grade of at least 70%) and you are now a licensed real estate agen

ma2804 in San Diego, California

51 months ago

It would seem that Yvonne has had some bad experiences with Allied, from all her texts. I, on the other hand, have taken about 5 courses through Allied and found them to be responsive, efficient, and less costly than taking "in person" classes through the Appraisal Institute.

I've used these classes from Allied to qualify for the Certified Residential Appraiser exam for the state of California, with no problems. I found the classes to be very convenient, cost efficient,and aside from no peer interaction, I gained the necessary knowledge from the courses.

I took several courses in classroom instruction from the Appraisal Institute, including Principles, Procedurees, Highest and Best, and a couple of other basic classes. I would recommend taking these basic classes and then moving on to others. Take online or classroom, depending on the way you learn best. On the job training will be important to you and the HVCC will be your biggest obstacle to making money, getting a mentor to work with, and getting your hours.

Good Luck.

mallen@haanappraisals.com in San Diego, California

48 months ago

It's very difficult getting into a trainee position. No certified appraisers are interested in having trainees and lenders and others aren't crazy about having a trainee sign reports even though a supervisor is signing them too. Each lender is different.
Good Luck.

Dan Murphy in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Thanks

Cyndy in Fullerton, California

47 months ago

I have several openings for Appraisers and Appraiser Assistants / Trainees in Southern California.

46 months ago

hi cindy
you are interested in appraiser trainee.. i have all my education and waiting for test date... will we willing to do any thing for nothing to start getting my hours.i live in covina with a car
yvonne

46 months ago

hi cindy
you are interested in appraiser trainee.. i have all my education and waiting for test date... will we willing to do any thing for nothing to start getting my hours.i live in covina with a car
yvonne

Lou in Snoqualmie, Washington

45 months ago

Cyndy in Fullerton, California said: I have several openings for Appraisers and Appraiser Assistants / Trainees in Southern California.

Do you have an email address I can reach you at Cyndy? Thanks! LouBrocc@hotmail.com

jbs656 in West Palm Beach, Florida

44 months ago

Recent college graduate with BA in Real Estate and BA in Finance looking for job in Real Estate Appraisal field or similar position. Brent @ jbs656@yahoo.com

ron in Grenada

43 months ago

i will be starting a real estate appraisal course from ashworth college (online)i will also be doing my ny license can anyone advice me as to availability of jobs and salaries in new york?

Janis in Chico, California

43 months ago

I am looking for a chance to be a appraiser trainee... need to take my test, but worried about how hard it is to find a mentor! Anyone have any advice! thanks

Ruth Salud in Carson, California

40 months ago

Please email me your information Cindy from Fullerton, my son and I are currently in real estate and would like to pursue real estate appraiser. ruthsalud@gmail.com

Emma M in San Francisco, California

37 months ago

Just read this thread & had to add my 2 cents about Allied - DEFINITELY stay away from them. I would recommend McKissock for sure, though. Online is harder for some stuff (like USPAP) but it's nice that you can revisit the material. www.mckissock.com/McKissock/Appraisal/California/default.aspx Plus - I just read that they're going to be doing the next series of USPAP, so the Foundation must think they're good.

James in Mission Viejo, California

36 months ago

check out the education requirements, www.realestatelicense.com/appraiser-license-courses.aspx
Hope this finds you well..

lindsayappraisal@juno.com in Bismarck, North Dakota

30 months ago

Does anybody have any experience on what they paid apprentice appraisers.

Collateral Management in Pompano Beach, Florida

30 months ago

The best Appraisal Management Company (AMC) to use is www.collateralmanagement.org
You should look into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ClareM in London, United Kingdom

30 months ago

Hi Yanik,

Have you tried looking for the apprenticeship/intern in this industry?

Quite often these kind of vacancies are available at our company and we advertise on here www.bonsoni.com/Jobs/london-8.htm

So you can keep an eye if any further jobs available. Good luck :)

Clare
Senior Consultant
Hobert Phillip

judithsltd in Mohegan Lake, New York

27 months ago

Brent said: That is the unfortunate part of appraising, sometimes the pay varies. You might be able to work out a deal with the training appraiser for compensation, often a fee could be 1/2 of the appraisal, or they also could elect to pay you hourly, maybe $10.00 per hour to start. Either way you will not get rich as a trainee.

Brent[/QUO
Can having bad credit be an issue with becoming an appraiser?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.