Advice for RRT new grad

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

newgradrrt in Texas

21 months ago

I graduated from school and just got my RRT. The one hospital that is in the same city I live in interviewed me and I didn't get the job. The closet hiring hospitals are over an hour away, and the freeway to them closes when the roads get bad on the winter. My husband and I don't plan on staying here forever so he suggested I go back to school and get my bachelor's. I am just wondering if that is a good move. I feel like job experience would be better, as I would like to eventually apply for PA school. I don't want to have an even bigger gap on my resume when I go to apply for a job. Any suggestions??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

21 months ago

newgradrrt in Texas said: I graduated from school and just got my RRT. The one hospital that is in the same city I live in interviewed me and I didn't get the job. The closet hiring hospitals are over an hour away, and the freeway to them closes when the roads get bad on the winter. My husband and I don't plan on staying here forever so he suggested I go back to school and get my bachelor's. I am just wondering if that is a good move. I feel like job experience would be better, as I would like to eventually apply for PA school. I don't want to have an even bigger gap on my resume when I go to apply for a job. Any suggestions??

Go for the experience. A bachelor's in RT is useless, you don't get paid any better. the bachelor's degree is only useful for when you go for your PA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Allegory in Barrington, Rhode Island

21 months ago

I have heard over and over that before you go after your BS you want to get experience and cement yourself as a therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DNA in Royal Oak, Michigan

21 months ago

If you want to be a PA and don't have a Bachelor's, what are you waiting for? Go to school. You can work as a RT while attending school and use the time worked as clinical hours, which PA programs require (2000 hours or so).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRT J New Grad in Miami, Florida

18 months ago

Its not just in texas its also down here in south florida. I have been looking for work for months now. I havent even been contacted for an interview. My fellow class mates have gotten lucky tho. The place I did my clinical rotations said that now Human resource is who chooses the canidates so go figure. Its a little frustrating but hang in there. Some times I wondered if i wouldve done nursing. I am currently also debating getting my bachelors but ive read enough posts online that i have become convinced that respiratory therapy is not worth doing a bachelors on. The only positive thing i see is its only 30 plus credits closer to getting in a PA program. But thats if your ultimate goal is to go to PA school. School is expensive and the investment is not always guarnteed. I just hope the best for everyone in this form.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Celeste in Huntington Park, California

10 months ago

Go back to the hospital tell them you have applied already and ask to volunteer because you want to get some type I exposure, work in the information desk and start networking! (This is what I'm doing now) you have to show how much you want it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sad RRT in Pasadena, Texas

10 months ago

Do not get a bachelors in respiratory! You will regret it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed RRT in Alhambrca, CA in Alhambra, California

3 months ago

Celeste in Huntington Park, California said: Go back to the hospital tell them you have applied already and ask to volunteer because you want to get some type I exposure, work in the information desk and start networking! (This is what I'm doing now) you have to show how much you want it.

Hi Celeste, do you have any luck getting a job where you are volunteering?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.