Advice for RRT new grad

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

newgradrrt in Texas

16 months ago

I graduated from school and just got my RRT. The one hospital that is in the same city I live in interviewed me and I didn't get the job. The closet hiring hospitals are over an hour away, and the freeway to them closes when the roads get bad on the winter. My husband and I don't plan on staying here forever so he suggested I go back to school and get my bachelor's. I am just wondering if that is a good move. I feel like job experience would be better, as I would like to eventually apply for PA school. I don't want to have an even bigger gap on my resume when I go to apply for a job. Any suggestions??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

16 months ago

newgradrrt in Texas said: I graduated from school and just got my RRT. The one hospital that is in the same city I live in interviewed me and I didn't get the job. The closet hiring hospitals are over an hour away, and the freeway to them closes when the roads get bad on the winter. My husband and I don't plan on staying here forever so he suggested I go back to school and get my bachelor's. I am just wondering if that is a good move. I feel like job experience would be better, as I would like to eventually apply for PA school. I don't want to have an even bigger gap on my resume when I go to apply for a job. Any suggestions??

Go for the experience. A bachelor's in RT is useless, you don't get paid any better. the bachelor's degree is only useful for when you go for your PA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Allegory in Barrington, Rhode Island

16 months ago

I have heard over and over that before you go after your BS you want to get experience and cement yourself as a therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DNA in Royal Oak, Michigan

16 months ago

If you want to be a PA and don't have a Bachelor's, what are you waiting for? Go to school. You can work as a RT while attending school and use the time worked as clinical hours, which PA programs require (2000 hours or so).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRT J New Grad in Miami, Florida

13 months ago

Its not just in texas its also down here in south florida. I have been looking for work for months now. I havent even been contacted for an interview. My fellow class mates have gotten lucky tho. The place I did my clinical rotations said that now Human resource is who chooses the canidates so go figure. Its a little frustrating but hang in there. Some times I wondered if i wouldve done nursing. I am currently also debating getting my bachelors but ive read enough posts online that i have become convinced that respiratory therapy is not worth doing a bachelors on. The only positive thing i see is its only 30 plus credits closer to getting in a PA program. But thats if your ultimate goal is to go to PA school. School is expensive and the investment is not always guarnteed. I just hope the best for everyone in this form.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Celeste in Huntington Park, California

5 months ago

Go back to the hospital tell them you have applied already and ask to volunteer because you want to get some type I exposure, work in the information desk and start networking! (This is what I'm doing now) you have to show how much you want it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sad RRT in Pasadena, Texas

5 months ago

Do not get a bachelors in respiratory! You will regret it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.