Children's Hospital Los Angeles

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

14 months ago

CHLA has a residency program for new RCP graduates or RCPs with less than 1 year of experience.

I graduated June 2011 and didn't find employment 'til this year as per diem in another hospital in February of this year, 2013.

So I applied in 2011, 2012 and 2013. For the 2013 application I even got my PALS and NPS to seem like a good candidate. So basically I'm an RRT-NPS with PALS which they highly desire! Go figure.

The application was available on May 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM. I woke up at 5 AM that morning to await when it would become available. Well, after applying I called HR to make sure my application was received and I was told that I was the very first person to apply.

Today I received this message:

"Dear[ name omitted,]

Thank you for your application and interest in the RCP Residency program for August 2013 cohort. We received an overwhelming amount of applications for the program; unfortunately, we regret to inform you that you were not selected to interview. Please visit our website at www.chla.org/rcpresidency for more information and important dates regarding the next RCP Residency program.

Thank you for your interest in the RCP Residency and CHLA!

Human Resources, Children's Hospital Los Angeles"

There will be no next time, since I will already be working for 1 year. I just don't understand how they select their applicants. I'm not even sure they go through all the applications.

RT has been the biggest mistake of my life. I should've studied something else. This career is non productive and everyone you meet is negative about this profession. I just became another negative person. No good doors have opened in my face.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Update:

I sent a letter and spoke to HR.

I was told I was not selected because I graduated in 2011.

However, the website says new RCP graduate or less than 1 year of experience as an RCP.

I feel like I was unfairly excluded. I went to great lengths, economically, to get my RRT, NPS and PALS. The same as everyone else on this website.

For everyone else going through my situation, make sure that all these baloney credentials and licenses are actually worth something.

I've invested over $6,000 into Respiratory Therapy. I'm going to try to switch careers.

I hate to be a negative nancy like everyone else on these boards, but I've just about had it.

I now understand all those RT with their RRT-NPS, RPFT, PALS, ACLS, NPR, ACCS, or whatever other credential or cpr they come up with.

I can truly empathize with the negative people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

henry kim in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

jrmavc in you'll never know, California said: Update:

I sent a letter and spoke to HR .

I was told I was not selected because I graduated in 2011.

However, the website says new RCP graduate or less than 1 year of experience as an RCP.

I feel like I was unfairly excluded. I went to great lengths, economically, to get my RRT, NPS and PALS. The same as everyone else on this website.

For everyone else going through my situation, make sure that all these baloney credentials and licenses are actually worth something.

I've invested over $6,000 into Respiratory Therapy. I'm going to try to switch careers.

I hate to be a negative nancy like everyone else on these boards, but I've just about had it.

I now understand all those RT with their RRT-NPS, RPFT, PALS, ACLS, NPR, ACCS, or whatever other credential or cpr they come up with.

I can truly empathize with the negative people.

makes sense to me why you're rejected. you said you have a per diem job. why would they want to choose you when you have experience now? This is for NEW grads. No experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

henry kim in Los Angeles, California said: makes sense to me why you're rejected. you said you have a per diem job. why would they want to choose you when you have experience now? This is for NEW grads. No experience.

The job posting reads New grad or Rcp with less than 1 year experience. I've only been working for 4.

Last year a girl got hired and she had been working for Montclair Hospital as a per diem for 6 months. I'm already over it.

My point is if this is truly for just New grads, then the part that says "or Rcp with less than 1 year of experience" should be deleted from their site. It is untruthful to make people believe they have a chance at something that they really don't.

That's what bothers me. I was told to apply again in 2013. I got my PALS and NPS for that specifically.

I've cooled down now, I don't really regret RT, I was just very passionate about making it in to CHLA. That dream, like many in my life are over, but not because I didn't try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AshRT in Hesperia, California

14 months ago

Well it's definitely interesting seeing someone talk about you on a forum. I actually had 4 months experience when I applied for CHLA and 8 months experience by the time I started. I also had my RRT-NPS ACLS, PALS, NRP, and S.T.A.B.L.E. The hospital does get a ridiculous amount of applications for this residency. i believe the 2012 had over 240. We had nine people in my group. They can't possibly accept everyone or even interview everyone. I think the issue with your application and you graduating 2011 was the fact that we all loose so much knowledge when we aren't in school and aren't working. I was lucky enough to find my first job three months after graduating and I felt as though I lost half of what I knew. The whole RT career isn't a bad choice. I love my job and I'm glad I was able to work at the places I have. It's sad that a lot of people on here hate the career they chose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

AshRT in Hesperia, California said: Well it's definitely interesting seeing someone talk about you on a forum. I actually had 4 months experience when I applied for CHLA and 8 months experience by the time I started. I also had my RRT-NPS ACLS, PALS, NRP, and S.T.A.B.L.E. The hospital does get a ridiculous amount of applications for this residency. i believe the 2012 had over 240. We had nine people in my group. They can't possibly accept everyone or even interview everyone. I think the issue with your application and you graduating 2011 was the fact that we all loose so much knowledge when we aren't in school and aren't working. I was lucky enough to find my first job three months after graduating and I felt as though I lost half of what I knew. The whole RT career isn't a bad choice. I love my job and I'm glad I was able to work at the places I have. It's sad that a lot of people on here hate the career they chose

* I don't hate my job. I was just really upset. RT is a good field. We are underdogs and redheaded stepchildren (no pun to you) of healthcare. I do enjoy my current job.

I hope you become really good at your job. That's the best place to get high acuity experience. Please do share experiences on this forum.

Good night, I just worked 4 days straight (noc shift) and I'm tired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ella in El Cajon, California

13 months ago

So, did anyone get an interview yet for 2013?

wbown11@yahoo.com in Fountain Valley, California

13 months ago

Rumor has it that the only way you will get selected is if you had a clinical rotation there. So same #%^& different facility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ella

13 months ago

wbown11@yahoo.com in Fountain Valley, California said: Rumor has it that the only way you will get selected is if you had a clinical rotation there. So same #%^& different facility.

Based on my experience with them I think is true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

A fact about CHLA... Over 90% of their RCP residency graduates are from San Joaquin Valley College. How do I know this? B/C the 2nd time I applied I made it to 1st round of interviewing. We all had to introduce ourselves.... + we met past RCP residency graduates. Every single one was from San Joaquin Valley College, including the RT who I said was chosen.

So basically I think if you're not from SJVC, your chances are slim to none. I'm practically in L.A county, not that far from L.A. and this guy from Bakersfield, CA was chosen and he's been working there now for 4 years. He was one of past RCP residency graduates who told us about how awesome it was to work there.

What bugs me is that my 2 interviewers told me that "you should try to get your NPS an PALS". They also told me to not give up and "try again next year." I'm not a quitter so that's why I applied for the 3rd time.

Anyways, good luck to everyone and their RT career. I at least have a job now... Hopefully your degree doesn't serve you just to wipe your ass. I'm one of the lucky ones to have finally found a job after 2 years. At the end of the day it's a job.. We all need roofs over our heads, beds to sleep in, food to eat, toilets to crap in... Etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

I want to add that the other "guy" from Bakersfield, CA is not the same person as the RT whom I spoke about earlier tha was chosen, AshRT, as she identified herself. I never mention names or breaks peoples confidential info or privacy, that's just her username anyways.

Btw my friend an I who did tons of extracurricular to stand out, were there and we counted 9 SJVC graduates who are now alumni of their residency... + there were a grip of SJVC new graduates + a good number of the Bachelor degree holding RTs from Loma Linda, which in the end is no different from my A.S from my community college. They just count their prereqs as part of the Bachelor of Science degree curriculum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

NVusVet in Los Angeles, California

13 months ago

I actually find jrmavcs bitching legit and worth reading.

The email they sent me also said to try again and to keep informed for upcoming dates of their residencies. According to jr, he was told he wasn't a new graduate anymore, so wouldn't everyone else that didn't make it the first time become ineligible? I bet we are all getting the same emails. Really CHLA needs to change their wording, not only on their site, but their emails as well.

I used my GI bill for RT school and have also not found a job, plus I have loans to pay because I went to Concorde. I bet they only chose me to make their selection process appear "fair."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

NVusVet in Los Angeles, California said: I actually find jrmavcs bitching legit and worth reading.

The email they sent me also said to try again and to keep informed for upcoming dates of their residencies. According to jr, he was told he wasn't a new graduate anymore, so wouldn't everyone else that didn't make it the first time become ineligible? I bet we are all getting the same emails. Really CHLA needs to change their wording, not only on their site, but their emails as well.

I used my GI bill for RT school and have also not found a job, plus I have loans to pay because I went to Concorde. I bet they only chose me to make their selection process appear "fair."

I'm confused! Were you picked for the residency or not? It seems like you didn't, but at the end you say you were picked. Please clarify, I'm having trouble following your comment.

13 months ago

jrmavc in you'll never know, California said: I'm confused! Were you picked for the residency or not? It seems like you didn't, but at the end you say you were picked. Please clarify, I'm having trouble following your comment.

I graduated 2012 and was picked for interviews that year. I think I may remember who you are. I also applied again this year, but was rejected as well. I never contacted HR about it, so I didn't know their selection process, which really doesn't make sense.

I mention being from Concorde because they want to make their selection process seem fair, even if there is no real intention to hire aside from me getting an interview. I also remember how odd I though it was that many of these people were from San Joaquin, the college I decided not to go cuz it was a drive away. I screwed myself I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Ella in El Cajon, California said: So, did anyone get an interview yet for 2013?

Ella, if you haven't received a rejection letter, you might receive an invitation. I remember in 2012 I received an invitation like literally 6 days before the actual interview, so maybe today is the day.

I don't respect this facility at all after what I've heard from them in person and after reading these posting oneline. BUT Good luck and hopefully you're one of the lucky ones. Let's pray you made the right choice and went to San Joaquin Valley College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

I just got the rejection email. I am in the post professional program BS at Loma Linda. I am RRT NPS with no work experience . I had 2 really good recomandation letters . I really don't understand how they rejected me without even an interview.

13 months ago

I went to Loma Linda University. Still got rejected. No interview.

AddyRRT in California

13 months ago

I received an invitation today. I honestly didn't think i was going to get one. After reading the posts on here i'm not sure if i should even go.

13 months ago

AddyRRT in California said: I received an invitation today. I honestly didn't think i was going to get one. After reading the posts on here i'm not sure if i should even go.

Congratulations. Where did you go to school? Make sure you know your stuff when you go to interview. They ask alot about APRV and other modes of ventilation.

AddyRRT in California

13 months ago

Ella in El Cajon, California said: Congratulations. Where did you go to school? Make sure you know your stuff when you go to interview. They ask alot about APRV and other modes of ventilation.

Thanks! I will definitely study up. I went to school at Fresno City College. I just graduated about a month ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Ella in El Cajon, California said: I just got the rejection email. I am in the post professional program BS at Loma Linda. I am RRT NPS with no work experience . I had 2 really good recomandation letters . I really don't understand how they rejected me without even an interview.

Their selection and interviewing process is retarded. Don't let this rejection define you. There is other places you can work. I think with NPS and a BS in RT, you're probably pretty qualified, more than others. But whatever! I'm done with CHLA.

Mom2013 in San Diego, California

13 months ago

Ella in El Cajon, California said: Congratulations. Where did you go to school? Make sure you know your stuff when you go to interview. They ask alot about APRV and other modes of ventilation.

Hey Ella, what type if questions did u hear they ask? I was lucky enough to get an interview.

Mom2013 in San Diego, California

13 months ago

jrmavc in you'll never know, California said: A fact about CHLA... Over 90% of their RCP residency graduates are from San Joaquin Valley College . How do I know this? B/C the 2nd time I applied I made it to 1st round of interviewing. We all had to introduce ourselves.... + we met past RCP residency graduates. Every single one was from San Joaquin Valley College, including the RT who I said was chosen.

So basically I think if you're not from SJVC, your chances are slim to none. I'm practically in L.A county, not that far from L.A. and this guy from Bakersfield, CA was chosen and he's been working there now for 4 years. He was one of past RCP residency graduates who told us about how awesome it was to work there.

What bugs me is that my 2 interviewers told me that "you should try to get your NPS an PALS". They also told me to not give up and "try again next year." I'm not a quitter so that's why I applied for the 3rd time.

Anyways, good luck to everyone and their RT career. I at least have a job now... Hopefully your degree doesn't serve you just to wipe your ass. I'm one of the lucky ones to have finally found a job after 2 years. At the end of the day it's a job.. We all need roofs over our heads, beds to sleep in, food to eat, toilets to crap in... Etc

Do you have any advice for the interview and the process?

ella in Los Angeles, California

13 months ago

Mom2013 in San Diego, California said: Hey Ella, what type if questions did u hear they ask? I was lucky enough to get an interview.

Behavioral questions and MV questions

christine in La Mirada, California

13 months ago

ella in Los Angeles, California said: Behavioral questions and MV questions

what is MV questions? what does MV stand for..?

ella

13 months ago

christine in La Mirada, California said: what is MV questions? what does MV stand for..?

Mechanical ventilation

13 months ago

MV = mechanical ventilation

They ask you what is ethics? What would you do if an order is written wrong in the chart? What would you do for a child with status asthmaticus (don't overthink this one) the very first thing you do is put the patient on...... OXYGEN!!! I overthought this one

During 1st interviews they don't ask about vents or anything like that. I prepared a lot for the interviews with diseases and vents and was surprised at what they asked me. Right now they're just trying to get a feel of who you are and if you're worth their time.

During 2nd interviews start worrying about SIMV, PC, APRV all that mumbo jumbo.

Mom in San Diego, California

13 months ago

jrmavc in you'll never know, California said: MV = mechanical ventilation

They ask you what is ethics? What would you do if an order is written wrong in the chart? What would you do for a child with status asthmaticus (don't overthink this one) the very first thing you do is put the patient on...... OXYGEN!!! I overthought this one

During 1st interviews they don't ask about vents or anything like that. I prepared a lot for the interviews with diseases and vents and was surprised at what they asked me. Right now they're just trying to get a feel of who you are and if you're worth their time.

Thanks so much !!! R all interviews the same day?

Mom in San Diego, California

13 months ago

ella in Los Angeles, California said: Behavioral questions and MV questions

Thanks Ella!!

13 months ago

thanks!

13 months ago

tomorrow is the interview day for my boyriend. and i'm so nervous for him.

is there anything he needs to bring to the interview? he is dressing formally (dress shirt, tie, and pants)

13 months ago

The first interview is tomorrow June 18th. I heard there will be about 50 people.

13 months ago

Thanks so much! My boyfriend is going to interview tomorrow (1st) and i am nervours for him. does he need to bring anything to the interview?

13 months ago

ella said: Mechanical ventilation

thanks ella! are you going to the interview tomorrow? My boyfriend is. I am so nervous for him. I'm trying to find much information as possible last minute for him

Is there anything you're bringing tomorrow?

13 months ago

sorry to bug with too many questions.
for the 1st interview, pretty much they are asking about ethics and behavioral questions? what else questions do they ask? how long is the interview? and how many people is in the interview panel that will interview the individual? or is it a group interview (like 3 applicants at the same time or so)
and second interview is more theoretical and educational questions?

13 months ago

is that for the 2nd interview? sorry i just read your previous posts and noticed you already the residency. =)

could you give any feedback for 1st interview? this is for my boyfriend and i'm trying to help him out as much as i can. i'm a registered nurse and i never had to do 2 interviews to get a job.

13 months ago

AddyRRT in California said: I received an invitation today. I honestly didn't think i was going to get one. After reading the posts on here i'm not sure if i should even go.

Good luck! my boyfriend is going tomorrow for the interview. i'm driving him there. lol..i'm just praying for him to get picked!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Mom in San Diego, California said: Thanks so much !!! R all interviews the same day?

are you going tomorrow for the interview? did you prepare alot for the questions? my boyfriend is going tomorrow and i'm so nervous for him.

13 months ago

So, any feedback about the first interview?

erinchristine in Henderson, Nevada

1 month ago

AshRT in Hesperia, California said: Well it's definitely interesting seeing someone talk about you on a forum. I actually had 4 months experience when I applied for CHLA and 8 months experience by the time I started. I also had my RRT-NPS ACLS, PALS, NRP, and S.T.A.B.L.E. The hospital does get a ridiculous amount of applications for this residency. i believe the 2012 had over 240. We had nine people in my group. They can't possibly accept everyone or even interview everyone. I think the issue with your application and you graduating 2011 was the fact that we all loose so much knowledge when we aren't in school and aren't working. I was lucky enough to find my first job three months after graduating and I felt as though I lost half of what I knew. The whole RT career isn't a bad choice. I love my job and I'm glad I was able to work at the places I have. It's sad that a lot of people on here hate the career they chose

Do you have any advice about how to get into the program? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.