Getting back working as a CRT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Jeff in Franklin, Ohio

97 months ago

Several years back I finished California College, then I studied and studied and took the exam (a few times) and it seemed i would always miss it just by a thread of passing. I was so upset then decided to try something new, went and was giving a chance at sleep and have done that for the last 5 years, but I would really like to try to get my CRT. Does anyone know if I can take Kettering Review then try so set for the CRT exam again. thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

97 months ago

Jeff in Franklin, Ohio said: Several years back I finished California College, then I studied and studied and took the exam (a few times) and it seemed i would always miss it just by a thread of passing. I was so upset then decided to try something new, went and was giving a chance at sleep and have done that for the last 5 years, but I would really like to try to get my CRT. Does anyone know if I can take Kettering Review then try so set for the CRT exam again. thank you!!

Hi Jeff, According to the NBRC, If you graduated with an Associate Degree and the Respiratory Therapy Program you attended at California College was Accredited by (CoARC)Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care or its predecessor (JRCTE)Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Educatioon or Accredited by (CAAHEP)Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program, you may sit for the (CRT)Certified Respiratory Therapist Board Exam. I encourage you to check the NBRC's website at www.nbrc.org to see what other requirements are necessary(apply for CRT exam, pay fees, school transcripts...etc.)in order to sit for your CRT Board Exam. Taking the Kettering Review Seminar is an excellent idea. It will provide you with excellent study materials and help you focus on the areas needed for the Board Exam. Years ago when I attended the seminar, the instructor said he is a (PTT)Professional Test Taker. They actually take the exams to stay informed of any changes so they can help us focus and pass our Board Exams. It worked for me. I passed on my first attempt. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mc in Spring Hill, Florida

95 months ago

jeff,
i am in the same situation you are in. let me know if you taken the kettering review and how it went. I am thinking of the same thing you are doing. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan D. in Louisville, Kentucky

95 months ago

While I have never personally taken a Kettering Review course (you can do so at a live seminar or by home study) they do get rave reviews and so many therapists have found them extremely helpful.

Good luck to both of you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kalani in Charlotte, North Carolina

93 months ago

Jeff and mc. I'm in same situation too took the exam 5 years ago. The economy now has me wanting to go back in I took test 3 times missed 1,4,3 questions then gave up. I honestly miss the profession I was really proud of my grades and the work I put in at school. I'm looking into various ways to prep for exam and what the NBRC will require of me. Please let me know how your journey goes and any tips or advice from u or ANYONE would be gladly welcomed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mc in Valrico, Florida

93 months ago

hi kalani.....i am taking the review the 24 th of january and planning to take the test 2 weeks after. let you know it goes keep in touch

BetC in Las Vegas, Nevada

91 months ago

do not give up!
i took the CRT exam 4 times. on my second try was only one point to the passing. the 3rd was 5 points.I passed the fourth time on taking it. a classmate of mine took it 6 times before passing.
anyway the Kettering seminar helped me. especially the 'mock tests' that they gave me. the two practice examination REALLY helped. but don't depend on it 'too' much!
It all comes down to how much you recall and deal with the scenarios they give you in the CRT exam.(that's opinion anyway)
good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Max Flow in Madison, Wisconsin

90 months ago

Jeff,
Take a writing class and study for the CRT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Hillsboro, Ohio

90 months ago

I just graduated from IU/CCHS. I ordered the Kettering home study course and in Sept. 08 went to the seminar. I just took the CRT boards this week and passed the first time. I would recommend you doing one or both. I also used the tokens that came from Kettering to take practice test. They were very helpful; they have audios for each question and explain the question and the answers, also why the other options were not correct or why one is better than the other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

johal in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

I have been trying hard to learn the kettering seminars..and I havent beem able to understand the "Collect and Evaluate Additional Pertinent Clinical Information" section.I am just a few qstns away from passing it.Is there anyone who could guide me on what areas do I need to study for this section and how to prepare for the same..I dont even score 50 % to be honest in the section.Plz recommend any background reading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VE in Clintwood, Virginia

88 months ago

I'm just getting into Respiratory Therapy, All the mathmatics they are teaching us, Will we actuaally use it on the floors or do you just put it in the machines and they calculate what your setting should be? I'm getting overwhelmed with all thi math crashing down on me with anatomy too.

PR Correy in Des Moines, Iowa

87 months ago

Evidentally you guys need to be Kerry Georges proghram respiratory is all about the teacher and your brian it's a given learn and you nwill succeed!

PR Correy in Des Moines, Iowa

87 months ago

PR Correy in Des Moines, Iowa said: Evidentally you guys need to be Kerry Georges program respiratory is all about the teacher and your brian it's a given learn and you will succeed!
and also I need to learn to type sorry

bdc in Detroit, Michigan

83 months ago

Melody in Hillsboro, Ohio said: I just graduated from IU/CCHS. I ordered the Kettering home study course and in Sept. 08 went to the seminar. I just took the CRT boards this week and passed the first time. I would recommend you doing one or both. I also used the tokens that came from Kettering to take practice test. They were very helpful; they have audios for each question and explain the question and the answers, also why the other options were not correct or why one is better than the other.

Hi There! I am seriously considering IU but can't find info except the official school website. Can't afford to waste time or money if this program isn't legit or I can't pass registery exams once complete. Any comments from former or present Independence University students appreciated: How hard are the courses? What kind of academic support? Does their technology/website work properly/efficiently? How does the professional respiratory community view IU credentials?
Any sincere comments would be helpful. This is a big investment of time & money. THANKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

millerhealthcare in Ville Platte, Louisiana

82 months ago

bdc in Detroit, Michigan said: Hi There! I am seriously considering IU but can't find info except the official school website. Can't afford to waste time or money if this program isn't legit or I can't pass registery exams once complete. Any comments from former or present Independence University students appreciated: How hard are the courses? What kind of academic support? Does their technology/website work properly/efficiently? How does the professional respiratory community view IU credentials?
Any sincere comments would be helpful. This is a big investment of time & money. THANKS.

Do not waste your time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Hillsboro, Ohio

82 months ago

bdc in Detroit, Michigan said: Hi There! I am seriously considering IU but can't find info except the official school website. Can't afford to waste time or money if this program isn't legit or I can't pass registery exams once complete. Any comments from former or present Independence University students appreciated: How hard are the courses? What kind of academic support? Does their technology/website work properly/efficiently? How does the professional respiratory community view IU credentials?

I went to IU mainly because I could not afford to quit my full time job. It took me about 3 yrs to complete. I passed my boards for both CRT and RRT on the first time, I finished the program March of this year. I am also working full time as an RRT at a local hospital. Make sure you have a clinical site lined up before you sign up for the program. The program has been around for over 30 yrs. There are several Therapist that I work with that went through the program several years ago. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aimee in Springboro, Ohio

73 months ago

I have graduated with a degree in Respiratory Therapy, I have now taken the CRT 4 times I don't know what my problem is, I don't know if it is the fact the I'm 6 months pregnant or not, I am really discouraged and afraid to schedule the test again any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Phoenix, Arizona

73 months ago

I am still about 6 months out from graduation, but have been doing the Lindsey Jones seminar. I have found it very helpful in terms of study for the boards and critical thinking. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jo in Memphis, Tennessee

46 months ago

i took my crt test and passed it on the first try. worked as a therapist for a ouple of years but didnt knw about paying any money to the nbrc for my credintal but i get my lic renewed every 2 yrs as required. i get a letter from the nbrc saying inorder for me to get my creditals renewed i have to take the test all over again. Have anyone else had this problem

AH in Annandale, Virginia

46 months ago

jo in Memphis, Tennessee said: i took my crt test and passed it on the first try. worked as a therapist for a ouple of years but didnt knw about paying any money to the nbrc for my credintal but i get my lic renewed every 2 yrs as required. i get a letter from the nbrc saying inorder for me to get my creditals renewed i have to take the test all over again. Have anyone else had this problem

the rule that the NBRC have stated..is that you must..take your RRT exam within 3 years after you got ur CRT..or you would have to re take the test every 3

gbueno in Perris, California

45 months ago

jo in Memphis, Tennessee said: i took my crt test and passed it on the first try. worked as a therapist for a ouple of years but didnt knw about paying any money to the nbrc for my credintal but i get my lic renewed every 2 yrs as required. i get a letter from the nbrc saying inorder for me to get my creditals renewed i have to take the test all over again. Have anyone else had this problem

If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same boat. Some hospitals don't require to keep up your crt if you have your state rcp licence. Most hospitals want you to have not only crt but rrt. I'm in process of retaking my crt. It's an additonal 150 on top of the 190 to retake it. I now know that you have to submit 30 ceu's for the 5 years your credentails is valid and the fee before it expires. If you want to take the rrt you have to take it within 3 years of getting your crt or you will have to retake the crt to be eligible for the rrt. You don't have to retake the crt every 3 years you just have to submit your ceu's and fee before your credentails exp again. I hope you find this helpful and if you have more questions I would contact the nbrc. Let me know how this goes for you.

gbueno in Perris, California

45 months ago

AH in Annandale, Virginia said: the rule that the NBRC have stated..is that you must..take your RRT exam within 3 years after you got ur CRT..or you would have to re take the test every 3

Part of your statement is true but you don't have to take your crt every 3 years. If you don't take rrt within the 3 year period then you would only have to retake it if you want to take your rrt. As long as you pay the fee and submit your ceu's before your crt expires your good.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.